Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree84Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Naming myself. Naming myself.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Leach is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 823.52
Savings: 0.00
Let me be clear on one thing:

I've had a fascination with The Buck way before I took interest in doing Native research or taking a DNA test. I did take a test, and it says that I am 1/25th Native American, which backs my family's oral history. I am one of the younger ones in the family, I am 30. So I presume it's even more blood for my mother, grandmother and so forth.

Yet and still, my love for animals (specifically The Buck) didn't jus suddenly appear once I got my test results. This is something that I have ALWAYS had inside of me. I have ALWAYS had a strong connection to the animal because I can relate to its strength and vulnerability. It's an animal that is so strong but must hide from those who hunt it.

I have no interest in joining a tribe, because I feel that there are many full/half/etc. Natives out there who are really struggling and need the assistance more than I do. However, I found comfort in knowing that Natives seem to share this special connection to animals and have this amazing reverence for them that I feel inside of me.

I came on here sharing my story because this is really something close to my heart. For years, way before I even thought about researching my ancestry. I have a Buck necklace that I've been wearing faithfully since 2011. Everyone always asks me about it, says how unique it is, and ask the meaning behind it, and I love to tell them what I see in it. So you can imagine my surprise to see that maybe some of this connection is in my blood. When I found that my relatives were named after animals, I got excited!

Maybe I am just crazy though. Because clearly my connection with animals is a joke on here as well. lol.
Leach is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #22
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50,010.93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach View Post
I have no interest in joining a tribe, because I feel that there are many full/half/etc. Natives out there who are really struggling and need the assistance more than I do.
Do you have any idea how offensive it is equate tribal membership with welfare? Are the benefits of American citizenship freedom and liberty or welfare checks? Are you an American just for the "payout"? There is a hell of a lot more to tribal citizenship than a per cap -- which is a rare thing anyway.

Tribes do many of the same things as your city, state and national governments do. They run schools, water and sewage treatment plants, maintain roads, manage natural resources, protect law and order.... Yes, they care for their elderly and infirm. But, they are not assistance programs for the indigent. Some very few tribes make payments to their members using income from various resources -- including timber, oil, coal, and gaming. (Like the state of Alaska and other political entities that provide payments using the profits from the exploitation of public resources "owned" by their citizens.) But, by and large we're not paid for just being tribal citizens. Poor Native people, like poor non-Native people, rely mainly on state and federal assistance programs.

Quote:
However, I found comfort in knowing that Natives seem to share this special connection to animals and have this amazing reverence for them that I feel inside of me.
Yes, many of our religions accord a special place to non-human life. Many tales of speaking animals occur in our various oral scriptures. (As in yours; witness a certain donkey who had a message for a transgressing leader.) Some people in some traditions received teaching from particular animals. However, I suspect your image of Native people and animals owes more to Hollyweird than to actual Native religious experience and practice.

Quote:
So you can imagine my surprise to see that maybe some of this connection is in my blood.
There is no gene for culture. And whatever epigenetic tags you got from your Native ancestors washed out generations ago. Indians make other Indians by sex and nurture.

I wear a lot of plaid, but I doubt a propensity for dressing like ugly 1970's upholstery can be attributed my two Scots g-grandparents on different sides of the family. It probably has much more to do with my mother making my play clothes with fabrics that populated the bottoms of clearance bins in said ugly 1970's, LOL.

Look, I'm not putting you down for your feelings. As a mixed-blood person, I am getting frustrated with the unconscious stereotyping. These all get in the way of sharing a real experience of Native life.

Quote:
...I am 1/25th Native American...
FYI, in the world of blood quanta arithmetic the denominator must be 2^n. The only odd number in that series is 1. Humans need two to tango. Welcome to the wackiness of human reproduction as extracted by large data set statistical analysis. Got to love those DNA tests.

A couple years ago another poster introduced herself as 1/6 Native. Since I'm old enough to have actually read Asimov, all I could think of was the novel The Gods Themselves. The extra-dimensional aliens had landed and left us a love child, LOL.
subeeds likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 06-29-2016 at 09:36 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #23
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51,184.02
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Let me be clear on one thing:

I have no interest in joining a tribe, because I feel that there are many full/half/etc. Natives out there who are really struggling and need the assistance more than I do.
Really ? You actually believe this ?
I get "percap" ! I'm retired so it helps , but.........I worked as a union bricklayer for 32 years . I have my disability and my pension. I used to laugh when I got percap because it is usually such a paltry sum and certainly nothing to get excited about ! I also get some stuff from our tribes "Elder's Program". This too is a help , but nothing I couldn't get by without ! The honest truth is that if the tribe stopped existing tomorrow , it would not affect my financial well being at all.....well maybe .01% ! Besides that even if you have ndn blood you can't just go join a tribe !

Look , you admitted you're a white guy. Sometimes we tease newbys on here to see how they act. You are typical ! You ask a question , don't like the answer , don't like the teasing , then you get mad at us , and then we hardly ever see you back.

If you want to discuss family rumors/stories , talk to Josiah ! He can lecture you on your likelihood of verifying family history.

Lot's of folks have a connection to animals ! It's nothing unusual. It certainly doesn't mean you're part ndn ! I got a cuzzin that likes kangaroos , doesn't make him Australian ! You like bucks , good for you. As an avid hunter , I've shot hundreds of them in my life and most of them were pretty tasty ! I like them too !

Any time you seek knowledge you need to be prepared to be disappointed ! Good luck.
subeeds and milehighsalute like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 06-29-2016 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: I can't spell fer chit ! LOL
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

The replies in this thread show me how misinformed some of you are. I never "admitted" that I was White. Can you find the post where I said that? I am African American.

And me not desiring tribal affiliation just means that I don't feel I have close enough ties to Native culture to really seek recognition as an American Indian. I just don't feel deserving of the benefits. As an African American, I know how it feels to have your culture appropriated or used as something "stylish" or fun.

However, I do enjoy coming here and sharing how I feel about different things with you guys, for that one line of my family. I have Indian history in my family, I have the blood as well. But maybe I have a lot to learn. And if that's the case, I thank you guys for correcting me so I can be more respectful and heal a bit of my ignorance. Forgive me.

I'm excited to have my family history confirmed through DNA. If any of you just know a tinsy bit of African American history I'm sure I don't have to explain to you guys how many of our families lost our identities. Or how some stories are embellished a bit to hide hurtful truths.

I always assumed I was far removed from my great grandmother. And never cared about ancestry. I grew up in the "hood", and I am proud of where I come from. I've had a Black upbringing and experience. But once I started growing my hair ( I am male btw) , many people (mainly other Blacks) questioned whether I had Native American ancestry. They say I have the "look" and ask about my ancestry a lot. I didn't know that I had high cheekbones until people told me, didn't know my hair was wavy or curly until people pointed it out. Didn't notice a "red" undertone to my brown skin until people pointed it out.

Many African Americans "volunteer" the information that they're supposedly Native, or part Native (when no one asked). BUt for me it was the other way around. People would ask me if I was.

To me, my great grandmother Chief is a bit far back, but I still look just like her. She had dark skin, KILLER cheekbones and thick, wavy hair. So I took the test. And there it was, her Native blood is still living on through me. Even though I'm 50/50 mom and dad, phenotype determines how I look, and my mother's family won that battle by a longshot.

I actually have less European blood than the average African American (something I'm proud of, again, if you know even a tinsy of AA history you should knnow why). VERY proud of my African and Native heritage. Sorry if I get carried away sometimes!
S-J likes this.

Last edited by Leach; 06-29-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #25
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,705.35
I'm not sure which thing you've said so far has made me facepalm more. What are you trying to communicate here? I feel I seem to be missing your overall point and purpose.

Are you simply sharing your love for male deer? Are you sharing some strange epiphany you seem to be having that ties your lifelong love for an animal to your perceived understanding of indigenous cultures? Or are you seeking validation to some name you want to call yourself?

As you said yourself, you don't have "close enough ties to native culture(s)"... so what you choose to call yourself really has nothing to do with any of us, our many histories, of what your DNA tests tell you. My (black) great uncle once took a DNA test that said he was eastern European. Pretty sure that little test wouldn't have mattered one bit when the jim crow laws were still around and he couldn't walk down the street. A little piece of paper, a card, or a test don't make you who you are... your knowledge, personal experiences, and the choices you make are what form you as a person. My point is, don't put all your faith in a little test. There is nothing wrong with knowing where you came from or being proud of a mixed history. Just don't go looking for validation from others when/if the people around you point out physical traits they find interesting.

There are thousands of cultures around the world with similar physical features. There's tribes in africa with light eyes, different hair colors, and red undertones in their skin. There are Europeans groups with type 4b hair. Just because You have features that may be similar to one specific group that you are familiar with, does not mean definitive proof of connection.

That said, if you actively WANT to get to know your possible connection to a native tribe or culture, fine. It's good to know where you came from and learn all you can to keep traditions alive.

If you WANT to call yourself Buck because you like that animal and feel connected to it, fine. But that doesn't have much to do with native cultures or your possible connection to them. I know a girl who prefers to be called Polar Bear (seriously)... doesn't mean her people are from the arctic circle or she sees it as some spirit animal. And I know someone called Peanut. Doesn't mean they're tied to Kraft Foods or Planters company. Call yourself whatever you want. But leave anything that you admittedly don't know about out of the process.

Here's a little anecdote. I have this cousin we all call Onion. He's in his 50's now and is a pretty chill guy... mainly stays to himself and doesn't talk too much. Even his friends and coworkers call him Onion to the point that people barely remember his name. One day, this white lady comes along and is in awe. "You're a man of mystery. There must be so many layers to you," she thinks. You see, the stranger assumes that because of his name, he is a deep individual who you'll only get to know if you peel back each layer, bit by bit. My cousin turned to her and smiled that day. "Nah. When my mom squeezed me out, the first thing my dad said was that my head was shaped just like a big old onion".
wardancer, OLChemist and subeeds like this.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #26
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The replies in this thread show me how misinformed some of you are. I never "admitted" that I was White. Can you find the post where I said that? I am African American.

And me not desiring tribal affiliation just means that I don't feel I have close enough ties to Native culture to really seek recognition as an American Indian. I just don't feel deserving of the benefits. As an African American, I know how it feels to have your culture appropriated or used as something "stylish" or fun.
O.K. , I apologize for the white remark (what I should have said was non-ndn), but I'll also say that I know several folks that are "African" that are white. They hail from South Africa and are quite interesting to speak with. I actually laughed today as a newscaster was laughing about Elizabeth Warren's claim of high cheekbones making her ndn the same as he having fat lips making him black. The newscaster was actually black , but obviously mixed and very light skinned .Just thought it humorous !

Once again....there are few , if any , benefits. Some tribes have none ! Some have a small amount and there are only a very few that have it big ! 99.9% of us work and pay taxes just like everyone else.I pay taxes on my percap ! There is no free money , no free healthcare (if you live real close to an IHS clinic you can get some stuff done, but not much), no free school , basically no free ride !

All that said , this is a site to learn and socialize , for ndns AND non-ndns alike. Sometimes the non-ndns say stupid offensive chit and the ndns gang up on them and pound them , sometimes feelings are hurt. Just life , put on yer big boy panties and wade right back in. Get your point across and we'll do the same !
subeeds likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Hi Fang ! Long time no see !
subeeds likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
I'm not sure which thing you've said so far has made me facepalm more. What are you trying to communicate here? I feel I seem to be missing your overall point and purpose.

Are you simply sharing your love for male deer? Are you sharing some strange epiphany you seem to be having that ties your lifelong love for an animal to your perceived understanding of indigenous cultures? Or are you seeking validation to some name you want to call yourself?

As you said yourself, you don't have "close enough ties to native culture(s)"... so what you choose to call yourself really has nothing to do with any of us, our many histories, of what your DNA tests tell you. My (black) great uncle once took a DNA test that said he was eastern European. Pretty sure that little test wouldn't have mattered one bit when the jim crow laws were still around and he couldn't walk down the street. A little piece of paper, a card, or a test don't make you who you are... your knowledge, personal experiences, and the choices you make are what form you as a person. My point is, don't put all your faith in a little test. There is nothing wrong with knowing where you came from or being proud of a mixed history. Just don't go looking for validation from others when/if the people around you point out physical traits they find interesting.

There are thousands of cultures around the world with similar physical features. There's tribes in africa with light eyes, different hair colors, and red undertones in their skin. There are Europeans groups with type 4b hair. Just because You have features that may be similar to one specific group that you are familiar with, does not mean definitive proof of connection.

That said, if you actively WANT to get to know your possible connection to a native tribe or culture, fine. It's good to know where you came from and learn all you can to keep traditions alive.

If you WANT to call yourself Buck because you like that animal and feel connected to it, fine. But that doesn't have much to do with native cultures or your possible connection to them. I know a girl who prefers to be called Polar Bear (seriously)... doesn't mean her people are from the arctic circle or she sees it as some spirit animal. And I know someone called Peanut. Doesn't mean they're tied to Kraft Foods or Planters company. Call yourself whatever you want. But leave anything that you admittedly don't know about out of the process.

Here's a little anecdote. I have this cousin we all call Onion. He's in his 50's now and is a pretty chill guy... mainly stays to himself and doesn't talk too much. Even his friends and coworkers call him Onion to the point that people barely remember his name. One day, this white lady comes along and is in awe. "You're a man of mystery. There must be so many layers to you," she thinks. You see, the stranger assumes that because of his name, he is a deep individual who you'll only get to know if you peel back each layer, bit by bit. My cousin turned to her and smiled that day. "Nah. When my mom squeezed me out, the first thing my dad said was that my head was shaped just like a big old onion".
Maybe there's a misunderstanding here. I always knew of my Native heritage through oral history but never looked into it. I didn't base knowledge of MY family off of a few observations and a DNA test. And the insinuation that I did such a thing is kind of insulting. I just never had interest into looking into what I've always known about my family until recently.

DNA was used to simply CONFIRM what I already knew through oral history. Not to establish history. Let's clarify that.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #29
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:

I , as many ndn guys , working away from the rez , was called "chief" by my co-workers. Been called that since I was in high school before I even knew my spot in the ndn world. Now I coulda been butt hurt and threw a fit and they woulda quit , but I didn't care then , cause well...it made me unique ! And I know a buncha guys now that were the same way. The only ndn on the crew and the name sticks. On the same note , I know some Vets that held the rank of Master Chief and their buddies call them chief ! Back to my story though , I worked with this black laborer for about 10 years or so. One day in our shop the Supt. came out and told him "You go with Tim today" He looked at the boss and said " who's Tim" ? Boss pointed at me and Lonnell(the laborer) says " his name ain't Tim , that's chief " ! We all busted up ! He worked with me off and on over 10 years and never knew my real name ! Anyway , good to see you posting Fang. Laterz
windanncer and subeeds like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
O.K. , I apologize for the white remark (what I should have said was non-ndn), but I'll also say that I know several folks that are "African" that are white. They hail from South Africa and are quite interesting to speak with. I actually laughed today as a newscaster was laughing about Elizabeth Warren's claim of high cheekbones making her ndn the same as he having fat lips making him black. The newscaster was actually black , but obviously mixed and very light skinned .Just thought it humorous !

Once again....there are few , if any , benefits. Some tribes have none ! Some have a small amount and there are only a very few that have it big ! 99.9% of us work and pay taxes just like everyone else.I pay taxes on my percap ! There is no free money , no free healthcare (if you live real close to an IHS clinic you can get some stuff done, but not much), no free school , basically no free ride !

All that said , this is a site to learn and socialize , for ndns AND non-ndns alike. Sometimes the non-ndns say stupid offensive chit and the ndns gang up on them and pound them , sometimes feelings are hurt. Just life , put on yer big boy panties and wade right back in. Get your point across and we'll do the same !
I can understand and respect where you come from. Although Indian blood is in my veins, I am not an Indian. It's just not the way I was raised, I am far removed from the culture.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know how it feels to have an outsider make an ignorant comment regarding Black culture, it's highly offensive -- whether they had a great grandmother who had some Black in her or not. It's always obvious when someone is clueless to the culture and ignorant to it, and it's very upsetting.

But we always welcome those who truly understand our culture and appreciate it. We can definitely pinpoint the real from the wannabe's. And I think that's the point some of you guys are at with me right now. Putting me in my place. And I can DEFINITELY understand that. Thank you for that.

This is an opportunity for me to learn. I definitely have absorbed this lesson. There's no reason for me to be upset or to run away because I really respect you guys and want to stay. How can I really want to connect to and learn about a piece of my heritage if I run from a very useful channel once something I'm saying is challenged? Yeah the jokes pinched a little bit, but no respect or love is lost.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #31
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Just saw this ! LOL Beating this dead horse ! LOL

Elizabeth Warren should apologize to Native Americans (Opinion) - CNN.com
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I , as many ndn guys , working away from the rez , was called "chief" by my co-workers. Been called that since I was in high school before I even knew my spot in the ndn world. Now I coulda been butt hurt and threw a fit and they woulda quit , but I didn't care then , cause well...it made me unique ! And I know a buncha guys now that were the same way. The only ndn on the crew and the name sticks. On the same note , I know some Vets that held the rank of Master Chief and their buddies call them chief ! Back to my story though , I worked with this black laborer for about 10 years or so. One day in our shop the Supt. came out and told him "You go with Tim today" He looked at the boss and said " who's Tim" ? Boss pointed at me and Lonnell(the laborer) says " his name ain't Tim , that's chief " ! We all busted up ! He worked with me off and on over 10 years and never knew my real name ! Anyway , good to see you posting Fang. Laterz
I always wondered if Chief was simply a nickname for my great grandmother or her real name. But I confirmed it was her given name through Census Records. The oldest record being when she was just 7 years old, listed as Chief Parker in the household.

I always found it interesting that my gg grandparents gave that name to a female. LOL. But it's beautiful.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #33
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Maybe there's a misunderstanding here. I always knew of my Native heritage through oral history but never looked into it. I didn't base knowledge of MY family off of a few observations and a DNA test. And the insinuation that I did such a thing is kind of insulting. I just never had interest into looking into what I've always known about my family until recently.

DNA was used to simply CONFIRM what I already knew through oral history. Not to establish history. Let's clarify that.
If I insulted you, I do apologise as it was not my intention. However, I do find your posts rather confusing and am trying to weed out your intention.

As the topic is on you naming yourself, I immediately wonder whether you as asking a question, or stating what you wish to be called. I then question what that has to do with your cultural background. I do, however, see that your [intended] name is connected to your personality and experiences on a personal level.

But again, I question what that has to do with your apparent cultural history. Or are these two different topics that you are simply sharing with us? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Just to rephrase, are you simply sharing a personal story that can be recapitulated with "hey guys, call me Buck and this is the backstory for why I am called this. I'm just excited and want to share with you guys".... or are you going the "I am of mixed native heritage and although I have little connection to that side of me and may not know much of my particular tribe's history or traditions, I see bucks as my kindred spirit and wish to be called as such" route. Do you see how these two sentences can come off two very different ways? To be frank, your wording leaned more towards the latter of the two, hence the teasing and questioning.

Quote:
He worked with me off and on over 10 years and never knew my real name ! Anyway , good to see you posting Fang. Laterz
Hey Wardancer! I ain't dead yet! Just in lurking mode :p
Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #34
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
If I insulted you, I do apologise as it was not my intention. However, I do find your posts rather confusing and am trying to weed out your intention.

As the topic is on you naming yourself, I immediately wonder whether you as asking a question, or stating what you wish to be called. I then question what that has to do with your cultural background. I do, however, see that your [intended] name is connected to your personality and experiences on a personal level.

But again, I question what that has to do with your apparent cultural history. Or are these two different topics that you are simply sharing with us? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Just to rephrase, are you simply sharing a personal story that can be recapitulated with "hey guys, call me Buck and this is the backstory for why I am called this. I'm just excited and want to share with you guys".... or are you going the "I am of mixed native heritage and although I have little connection to that side of me and may not know much of my particular tribe's history or traditions, I see bucks as my kindred spirit and wish to be called as such" route. Do you see how these two sentences can come off two very different ways? To be frank, your wording leaned more towards the latter of the two, hence the teasing and questioning.

Hey Wardancer! I ain't dead yet! Just in lurking mode :p
It's neither the first or the second.

I'm not called "Buck" in my life, I have never instructed anyone to call me this. This thread was more of a "random thought" type of thing. I was in my bed thinking. Thinking that I'd maybe like to have more control over my identity. If you know just a tinsy bit of AA history you'll know that many African Americans were handed down names from their slavemasters. Both first and last names. I am named after my father (my mother's maternal line is the Native line).

One day I was thinking, why not rename myself. Align myself with what I consider to be a very powerful existence. And beautiful, and vulnerable. Get rid of the names that were handed from White men to my family. But as I thought more about it, I decided that these names are indeed a big part of my identity as an African American. Stripping myself of that is removing history that I don't want to be lost.

I had just finished watching "Roots" for the first time when I made this thread, so keep that in mind as well. LOL I was very emotional. Watching that series in its entirety as an AA will send someone through many emotions of sadness and anger. I know that if there's any other group of people that can relate to the mistreatment of their ancestors in the name of "American civilization" would be Natives.

The Native connection came in because I was inspired by the names of my great grandmother's family. They were all so uniquely named. And she is where my Native blood comes from. I drew inspiration from that and that's what landed me here discussing it. In no way, shape or form did I mean to come off as offensive or ignorant. I just hope me spelling it out a little more sheds a bit of light on what prefaced this thread and my comments. :)

Last edited by Leach; 06-29-2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #35
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Reclaiming your identity is a good thing. Be your own person, do your own thing, and also be proud of who you are and where you come from (it sounds like you're quite proud of your heritages, which is grand). As someone who is mixed Lakota and Black, as well as having a genealogist and historian for a grandmother (so yes, I do know quite a lot about 'AA' history), I get what you're saying. Also,you spelling it out definitely makes things a bit more clear.

That being said, our (native) ancestors did have cool names. But often those names were given by others and won through actions, rather than they themselves just picking and choosing. Likewise, today's surnames that were once personal documented names are passed down just like any other family and tell us who we are and where we came from. One of my cousins and I used to joke cause she's a Poorbear and I'm a Martin. She gets the cool sounding surname and I get the one shared with like 50 other people on the rez lol. I swear that side of the fam must have got around!

So you still thinking about taking the name of Buck? If you do, Buck Rogers or Buckaroo Bonzai would be good choices. Can't go wrong there.
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Reclaiming your identity is a good thing. Be your own person, do your own thing, and also be proud of who you are and where you come from (it sounds like you're quite proud of your heritages, which is grand). As someone who is mixed Lakota and Black, as well as having a genealogist and historian for a grandmother (so yes, I do know quite a lot about 'AA' history), I get what you're saying. Also,you spelling it out definitely makes things a bit more clear.

That being said, our (native) ancestors did have cool names. But often those names were given by others and won through actions, rather than they themselves just picking and choosing. Likewise, today's surnames that were once personal documented names are passed down just like any other family and tell us who we are and where we came from. One of my cousins and I used to joke cause she's a Poorbear and I'm a Martin. She gets the cool sounding surname and I get the one shared with like 50 other people on the rez lol. I swear that side of the fam must have got around!

So you still thinking about taking the name of Buck? If you do, Buck Rogers or Buckaroo Bonzai would be good choices. Can't go wrong there.
"Reclaiming your identity". Those words pretty much sum up how I feel with this entire journey I've been on for the past few months. From what I know, many mixed blood Black/Native people who chose to stay behind in North Carolina didn't get the right to claim who they were. The southeast generally wanted to paint the town "Black" or "White" after Indian removal. And I believe back in those days it wasn't necessarily such a smart thing to go out proclaiming your Native heritage. Could have been more about survival and assimilation than celebrations in those days. This is just my guess though, based on my research.

But my great grandmother still let my grandmother know who we are. And of course that was passed down to us. But being that you're Black as well, I'm sure you know how many many MANY African American families have these stories. As much as I love my grandmother, I'm the type of person that needs more than a story before I can feel comfortable claiming anything. So that's what led me to DNA testing. My thought process was: let me see if we really have this in our blood. Let me see if my great grandmother's REAL name was "Chief". I had to open myself to the possibility that even my family that I love and trust so much could be one of those families who simply are misinformed. Not blatantly lying or being malicious, but simply misinformed.

But it turns out that it's real. It's in my DNA, the names are certainly on Census records. These weren't stories. Imagine my excitement?! It's not about saying "oh I got Indian in my family!!", it's about feeling a connection to the land we're on today. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you understand, there's only but so far we can go into Africa to find our roots. A DNA test can tell us what country that we match with, but realistically, there's no way we'll ever be able to trace and confirm which country our ancestral roots lie in I'll never know the NAMES of the people who were surely my ancestors that lived in that country, even if its accurate. Without names and knowing who the people were, what connection is there really? However, it is good to know that I am connected to its land.

Just knowing that I actually have ancestors who were on this land before it was disturbed is a blessing. Please don't mistake me for someone who just wants to claim anything for vanity or style, or cool points. This is something I am connected to and feel in my heart. I grew up with my great grandmother Chief's artwork and beautiful pottery surrounding the household. I never met her but I know SO much about her, being that I was raised by my grandmother. She told my grandmother who she was, and she was proud of it. And I did my due diligence to confirm that it was true (hope she forgives me for even doubting just a little bit). And If this is who she was, this is a part of who I am. I am excited to connect.

I lost my mother when I was 2 years old, and I just turned 30 this year. I think this has a lot to do with my sudden need to know my roots. And seriously make a connection to who I am. This isn't for fun or for giggles.

However, I won't be naming myself Buck. I decided that since my mother isn't here, there are only but so many things I have from her. My name is one of those things. She gave that to me. So for her, I will keep my name. And also to honor my African American heritage. Its a hurtful history but it is our history.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 AM   #37
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,170.71
Quote:

Oral history is not always accurate. We get a lot of people who come here saying that in their family history, their GG Granny was a Cherokee princess, and are basically-to use a phrase from OLChemist-culture vultures, so our skepticism is experience based.

It's good you want to learn your heritage. I would suggest that if there is anyone still left from an older generation or two, you make a record somehow of the stories-video or tape them, or write them down. This will help preserve them for future generations.
windanncer likes this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #38
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Oral history is not always accurate.
well, duh. Lol

That's why I felt compelled to take a DNA test. And the results supported the story.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #39
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,969.76
I just finished an article on DNA testing its not what most people think when they watch those CSI shows. Actually its more marketing then science I am afraid to say!
The markers they are using are of a very low sample size and only Mtdna. Which is only Maternal side of the subject testing matter, the kicker is they combine results when are ambiguous...
What??? A sample of the testing method used can give different results each time it is ran!!
Whoa what does that mean??
Well that means if the client is excited to learn they are Native as most are they just run it till they get the desired results.
Well is that cheating? Well yes it is
But not Illegal for they only said they will give you results you are looking for!
I have been posting on this website for several years not to bother with DNA testing it is the Snake Oil salesmen of the 21 century cures what ails you! But what do I know...

Researching the subject and you will realize there are countless types of DNA testing the most common is Paternal or Maternal to determine if a person is their child, those are 99.9% accurate. But then again these are not a BLIND test we have all three samples and we are merely determining if they are related.
No an ancestry test is a BLIND test we have one sample and we are determining if they have Markers that determine race, sounds simple right? NOPE
apparently it is not
And recently a lot of the Markers have been called into question but by SCIENTESTS NOT those that are SELLING the TESTS!
Actually a 20 year study was just finished and it called into question a lot of the DNA testing for Race one of the most important parts to this study was they USED DNA from both sides Paternal and Maternal
here is the link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0428223836.htm
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #40
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I just finished an article on DNA testing its not what most people think when they watch those CSI shows. Actually its more marketing then science I am afraid to say!
The markers they are using are of a very low sample size and only Mtdna. Which is only Maternal side of the subject testing matter, the kicker is they combine results when are ambiguous...
What??? A sample of the testing method used can give different results each time it is ran!!
Whoa what does that mean??
Well that means if the client is excited to learn they are Native as most are they just run it till they get the desired results.
Well is that cheating? Well yes it is
But not Illegal for they only said they will give you results you are looking for!
I have been posting on this website for several years not to bother with DNA testing it is the Snake Oil salesmen of the 21 century cures what ails you! But what do I know...

Researching the subject and you will realize there are countless types of DNA testing the most common is Paternal or Maternal to determine if a person is their child, those are 99.9% accurate. But then again these are not a BLIND test we have all three samples and we are merely determining if they are related.
No an ancestry test is a BLIND test we have one sample and we are determining if they have Markers that determine race, sounds simple right? NOPE
apparently it is not
And recently a lot of the Markers have been called into question but by SCIENTESTS NOT those that are SELLING the TESTS!
Actually a 20 year study was just finished and it called into question a lot of the DNA testing for Race one of the most important parts to this study was they USED DNA from both sides Paternal and Maternal
here is the link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0428223836.htm
Well my known native ancestors are indeed on my mothers maternal side. DNA tests in my opinion aren't the be all and say all because they aren't perfect. But they can be a helpful piece to the puzzle.

DNA testing is also debunking many "full blooded" stories. There is one woman on a forum whose grandfather was a tribal member recognized as full blood . She definitely returned the Native American markers on her results. But only at 9%. She should've gotten closer to 25% if he was full blooded.

Another Native tested himself and returned 76% Native American. Then had his daughter tested, and she only scored 11%. This prompted him to have a paternal DNA test done to verify that she's his daughter. And she was. lol

I think the DNA tests are good at letting you know if you actually carry the Native marker. However, any result 1% and under could definitely be an error.

Also, I found cousin matches on AncestryDNA with significant amounts of Native ancestry. 15-30% (these results are extremely rare for any non-Hispanics who take the test) . And I confirmed that we are related through my great grandma Chief.

The tests have their benefits and flaws.
Sponsored Links