PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Parents: Do you stress this on your kids??? LOL (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/parents-do-you-stress-your-kids-lol-15835/)

BurBz 12-12-2003 11:18 AM

Parents: Do you STRESS this on your kids??? LOL

Hellooo parents... and non parents ..lol... :p I was just wondering at what age did you start stressing TABLE MANNERS or any kind of manners on your child(ren)??? I guess just another topic to see insight from other parents here on the boards... Or maybe you don't stress manners on your kids and just want a dirty lil rugged ndn kid LOL :rofl2: :rofl2: JK :Tongue...

Please post your experiences or insights :D Thank you!!!

tradish_wiyan 12-12-2003 11:25 AM

I have always stressed manners to my girl...you know, like please, thank-you, excuse me etc. and ESPECIALLY at powwows and ceremonies, she knows not to run around and act all rugged. She would even tell those kids running around "where are your parents? You have to behave".

NOW, the thing i have problems with is Bedtime. She is a master at coming up with excuses to get up (i'm thirsty, i'm hungry, i'm cold, i'm hot...).

Table manners are stressed in restaurants and school. at home, we eat in the living room glued to the TV. table manners just flew out the window there :flyaway:

wannabeUrNo1Snag 12-12-2003 11:50 AM

i stressed manners to my lil girl as soon as she wuz able to understand wut manners were...i tell her to act proper where ever she goes...its a reflection of her as well as her family...once inna while she'll act up...actin too crazee...specially when she thinks she can get away with it...but i throw her "the look"...evil eye lol...this one time...i wuz talkin to someone at a powwow...n she wuz real young then...maybe 4...welp...she decided to go round knockin trash cans over...lol i wuz so mad...then this other time...talkin to someone at another powwow...she wuz prolly 6...she decided she wuz gonna start rollin around on the ground n whip her sweater in the air...dirt n all...MAN...lol we laugh at it now...specially since shes older...but boy...we had a good long talk after that...other then that...i think i've done a good job at teachin her how she should act as far as her manners go...bedtime i can relate to...everytime shes gotta brush her teeth...shes always thirsty...or..."can i do it after this??"

Gache 12-12-2003 12:18 PM

10 minutes after they were born of course

theepowwowchic49 12-12-2003 12:22 PM

you better believe

my kids will be taught manners cuz I don't want them turning out like me :p

Tibiki Kinew 12-12-2003 12:25 PM

gee I already pity the little buggers... regular manners are good but don't soldier them either!!!

theepowwowchic49 12-12-2003 12:30 PM

me too

Quote:

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew
gee I already pity the little buggers... regular manners are good but don't soldier them either!!!
why you think i'm in no hurry scurry to have any i'm to dang scuurred

Ginger 12-12-2003 01:10 PM

wannabeUrNo1Snag
is right teach them when they understand what your talking about & not too much at once,, h&ll I'm still teaching my boys, there the worst. my 11 year still holds his flat ware in fist when like a cave man. :rolleyes:

shshonegirl 12-12-2003 02:54 PM

yah, i have to agree with all of you, i try to teach my kids and remind them when we go places to act right :p. but i think ive done a pretty good job so far, they all say excuse me, thank you and stuff like that. and of course they know what is expected of them at the table. just like No1snag, i just gotta give them "the look" to instill fear :p...jk... one thing that i really stressed was not to talk when an adult is talking (like butting in the convo) and to not sit and listen to what the adults are talking about. its sad, cuz i see a lot of kids around that havent been taught manners. the other day my son who is 4, told me that at his class in head start his teacher said he was the only one who was sitting like they were supposed to....he made it a point to tell me cuz he knew he was behaving. and the next day the teacher said that he is one of the few that actually lay down during nap time...so thats good to hear that he is behaving and listening to his teachers. sometimes at powwows tho, i let him run wild like a lil pw brat :p, usually after he dances a few songs.

Ginger 12-12-2003 03:07 PM

I thinks it's ok to let them run around at powwows & play with other kids & making new ones, as long as their not bothering anyone & causing trouble how else are our kids going to learn to be social

jingle_wmn 12-14-2003 03:21 PM

I stress table manners on my little nieces and nephews, it sure is a MUST if you want a good child!!! I'm not a parent myself, but I have quite a few little nieces and nephews that I consider my kids! ;)

superndngyrl 12-14-2003 05:31 PM

Re: me too

Quote:

Originally posted by theepowwowchic49
why you think i'm in no hurry scurry to have any i'm to dang scuurred
yea i'd be scurred if u had a kid. hahahaha

i'm not in any hurry to have any either. :)

but my lil kids would probably be all rugget w/fuzzy braids jumpin off the bleachers at pow-wows. hahahah

Jibbyâ„¢ 12-14-2003 08:48 PM

My little dude knows the implications of not appropriately responding to the "evil eye". He knows to say please, thank you, yes please and excuse me. I ain't gonna have no little rugrat running around straight out of " Buckskins Gone Buckwild".

BurBz 12-15-2003 10:50 AM

Geezzooo come on parents... i know there are many more of you out there lol.... :p or do you like your kids rugged and dirty? LOL...

:rofl2: :rofl2:

<_-~*No_nutts*~-_> 01-07-2004 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jibby™
My little dude knows the implications of not appropriately responding to the "evil eye". He knows to say please, thank you, yes please and excuse me. I ain't gonna have no little rugrat running around straight out of " Buckskins Gone Buckwild".
Buckskins gone wild that's funny! My daughter is 2 and she knows all about the pleases and thank you's and she knows how to behave in a store :eek: never thought that would happen seeing as how I didn't know how to act right! I was a brat when I was young. Except me and her need to work on the usage of the garbage can AGAIN! Sometimes she will take her wrappers and throw them down the heating vent or like if she eats something that she thinks is gross she would spit it out on the carpet (we are making progress :p , today she was eating cucumbers and didn't like the skin so instead of spitting it on the floor she asked for a napkin then went to the can and threw it away! :Chatter that was cute!) And her ignoring thing when she is watching cartoons- I have to turn off the tv sometimes for a minute so she will listen to what I'm saying to her. But I can't blame her my mom did the same thing to me :p :Chatter kids will amaze you sometimes with the stuff they know it's crazy!:Chatter

step_2_da_side 01-08-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ginger
my 11 year still holds his flat ware in fist when like a cave man. :rolleyes:
:Chatter One of my brothers still does that! and he's 24!!

bushy_braids 01-08-2004 10:21 AM

my mom was always on us to act right, if not we got all "shaken" up, and def the "evil eye" or the "arm squeeze!" it was funny cause anytime someone gave me something she'd always be like "what do you say now!?"
so this one time my uncle (who ALWAYS had candy) gave me some candy
and my moms was like "what do you say!?" (implying i betta thank him)
so i walked back all shy... starring @ the candy he just gave me and was like "do you have any more!?"
my mom was like :eek:
aaaaaaahahhaahha... it was the funniest thing ever... i didn't know anybetter... i wanted more candy and my uncle just laughed... sure 'nuff i got some more candy, but i still get teased to this day!
but one thing's for sure i learned my manners after that!

skijin 01-08-2004 04:08 PM

My son's almost two and I've teaching table manners since he first sat in a high chair! - "teach" mind you, not "stress".
He knows what's expected of him, regardless of where or when he's eating. He doesn't always follow the rules, but he does a good job the majority of the time. Sometimes I end up with food all over the floor -so the main rule is "ya toss it, ya lose it" LOL - no other punishment, though. He's just too damn cute :Jumping:

BurBz 01-08-2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skijin
My son's almost two and I've teaching table manners since he first sat in a high chair! - "teach" mind you, not "stress".
He knows what's expected of him, regardless of where or when he's eating. He doesn't always follow the rules, but he does a good job the majority of the time. Sometimes I end up with food all over the floor -so the main rule is "ya toss it, ya lose it" LOL - no other punishment, though. He's just too damn cute :Jumping:

holeeh.. just askin for opinions lol....exxcuuseee me :rolleyes: :o TEACH/STRESS lol... same difference lol... :rolleyes:

oh btw.. thanks for your reply :D:o :rolleyes:

ndnkidz_5 01-08-2004 05:27 PM

Ok OK Ok...can not lie , mine are the fuzzy braid kidz playin' under the bleachers, buggin venders....all messy with snow cone died lips.....chasin' thier uncles to buy them more junk.....I tride but hey...what ya going to do when you got a whle tribe to look after....