Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Partaking in other cultures Partaking in other cultures

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Partaking in other cultures

We see so many people who are non native at powwows and fairs these days and how they like to observe and look happy partaking of our cultures... how many people go outside of their cultures and partake of others? If you were travelling for whatever reason around the world.. would you sit back and watch or would you try the local scene and their dances and traditional music.... and have you done this? Tell me about it.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Savings: 0.00
Sure!!! That's one of the things that makes travel fun! Seeing and experiencing how other people(s) live and do things. I haven't taken part in other cultures' dances, but would if invited. Part of travel should be exploring and experiencing the unknown. Not everything should be planned out. Go out and wander, get lost, eat food from the bazaars and street stalls, engage with the children and old people (they have more time to deal with silly foreigners!), get blessed in the local temple, check out a local club, go to where the locals go to hear live music, get your fortune told by the local curandera, check out the silly tourist traps - it may not be quite "authentic," but everywhere has a different flavor. Just be open and have fun!
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
WinterHawk

winterhawk40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Non Native

Yes Blackbear, many come who have the spirit. I would like to say something in honor of the old chiefs and my relatives of years ago. I was always told that many were adopted into the tribes because their spirit was as one with the people. Then about twenty years ago or so, the Great Old Chiefs and my relatives were concerned about the Native new borns in the tribes, that they went into the white world and did not have the Native Spirit. We all were ordered to bring in people with the true Native spirit no matter what their body was called. As you all know and what was told when we were young, that we are what our spirit is and not the body. That is certainly so. We will vanish as a people of oneness if we don't accept others with the same spirit. As for the tee pee's, feathers and other items of the Native culture, that comes as an external meaning to each one of us. We can tell another's spirit when we meet them and spend time with them. It is a good feeling to find such people with the Native Spirit. Lets not look where the body came from but their spirit. I honor the Great Chiefs.
WinterHawk
winterhawk40 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,089.55
in elementary school, every year we would take a class trip to the festival of nations in st. paul at the old civic center. that was always fun.
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

arnaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Peace!

Everybody should experience all other cultures out there. This will bring us understanding of those who practice life different from us. This will bring us peace. Brown Wolf
Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
I went and ate chinese food once does that count?? J/K
Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
I went and ate chinese food once does that count?? J/K
:P you're such a dork!

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Intelligence vs. Smart

At least you now have that experience, and can compare it with other experiences. Everybody is intelligent, under natural conditon, but not necessarily smart. The ability to acquire information can be define as been intelligent, and your ability to manage that information can be define as been smart. They are both acquired through life experiences regardless of how insignificant it may be. Do not be affraid to experience life. Your journey could be beautifull if you choose. Be brave! Brown Wolf
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

keensgr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
Everybody should experience all other cultures out there. This will bring us understanding of those who practice life different from us. This will bring us peace. Brown Wolf
You are right!
I'd love to visit china and see the traditions for the Chinese New Year.
keensgr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

keensgr is an unknown quantity at this point
I might just go with a friend from work!
But for starters I'll go to Chinatown in NY.
keensgr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaePrincess View Post
:P you're such a dork!
You say the sweetest things!!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Soop... Bahahaha!!! Yeah Chinese new year in china would be awesome! Another one would be the cherry blossoms in bloom in japan! So far for me it's been Greek festivals, Alaska native festivities and food and Hawaiian although I have to admit my Hawaiian experience was more touristy than local but fun nonetheless.

Does anyone just go see all the local or state things to see and do? You never really know just how cool where you live is until you do. When I lived near st Lou I did the museums and theatres and locally owned shops... Oh and the food... So many great places to eat! Go across the river to Alton and go down the river road then cross the ferry to west Alton.... And her in Alaska.... Egad there's always someplace to go if you don't mind the drive!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #13
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,002.15
I guess I have been blessed by being invited to participate in other cultural events, than my own in several different countries, even been thrown out from a Mosque, in a lil town in Turkey, because I was showing my calfs, this old turkish lady came running up to me with her hands waving, balbablababalab...I didn't understand a word, then she got nice and showed me that I needed to put on a burkas,that was hanging at the entrance, it wasn't enough to cover my hair and have a longer skirt as the travelagent had told me would be ok.
Danced on the street in Greece, their traditional dance, been doing all kind of things in Spain, even been to a finish sauna and jumping into a hole cut in the ice...eaten red hotdogs in Denmark...
I have always tried to follow my dads words, embrace the culture where you go, and you will see an entire new side of that country.
Sunktaki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
We see so many people who are non native at powwows and fairs these days and how they like to observe and look happy partaking of our cultures... how many people go outside of their cultures and partake of others? If you were travelling for whatever reason around the world.. would you sit back and watch or would you try the local scene and their dances and traditional music.... and have you done this? Tell me about it.

Black,

I've been kinda lucky. Peforming has allowed me to visit approximately 26 countries. Many times we were on festival circuits.

The best party I have ever been to was an international soiree of epic proportions. This party took place at the World Travel Market in Stuttgart, Germany. Tour operators, airlines, hotel chains, bus lines etc, met with destination planners for 4 days. Over 100 countries were represented.

On the final night they closed early and readmitted all the convention attendees back in at 9 pm. Inside they had FREE food, alcoholic drinks and entertainment from all the international booths! After our performance, we partied with people from all over the world! and did I mention everything was free? *L
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
You say the sweetest things!!
I try.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

Time Traveler

The spirit is a time traveler. As it experiences different journeys, it meets different other spirits from many different places, languages and cultures. It learns about the facts of life, good and bad, and it makes the soul strong. The learning never ends! It is constant. This is why it is useless to pretend we know everything there is to know. It is wise to keep our ears, mind and soul open to the counseling of our elders, the wiser ones. We are all brothers and sisters. We are all part of the same Nation, the Human Nation! - Brown Wolf
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

elokuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunktaki View Post
I guess I have been blessed by being invited to participate in other cultural events, than my own in several different countries, even been thrown out from a Mosque, in a lil town in Turkey, because I was showing my calfs, this old turkish lady came running up to me with her hands waving, balbablababalab...I didn't understand a word, then she got nice and showed me that I needed to put on a burkas,that was hanging at the entrance, it wasn't enough to cover my hair and have a longer skirt as the travelagent had told me would be ok.
Danced on the street in Greece, their traditional dance, been doing all kind of things in Spain, even been to a finish sauna and jumping into a hole cut in the ice...eaten red hotdogs in Denmark...
I have always tried to follow my dads words, embrace the culture where you go, and you will see an entire new side of that country.
Haha, respect! I've never done that even though I'm a Finn, although I always lie about it (especially to British people) and say that I have, 'cos I don't wanna seem like a sissy...
elokuu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #18
It is useless to resist.

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105,761.69
Savings: 52.80
I've been all over the world...but don't have time to partake in any culture studying...have seen lots of cool, crazy stuff. Drank, ate, fought with, fought against, picked up a bit of some languages, and STILL doing it today.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
It is useless to resist.

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105,761.69
Savings: 52.80
Know mostly how to tell folks to put the hands up, stop, drop their weapons, and the most important, well, too me, is how to order beer in other languages...

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Being in the navy means doing a lot of traveling and along with our land postings we get to see a fair bit of the world. I always try to learn a few things about the places and the people I'm visiting that a tourist might not get a chance to so because we tend to be there longer than the average tourist (6 months to a year at a time). I love buying local made fabric and I usually make it into a dress or outfit once I get home. I also have a collection of beading from other countries. Off hand, I can't recall a country that doesn't have some sort of beading in their art/clothing/fashion.

I love learning the language of the folks/culture where I am and I try to pick up enough of the language to understand their relationship with their lands.

My husband and I also love a good meal and try to learn some of the local cuisines - I stock up on spices, herbs and recipes when we are away to bring home.

As for the polar bear ice dipping ... Canucks do it on New Year's Day and we even managed it in Egypt/Sinai with the temps hovering around 90F. Ice machines and swimming pools are great....heehee
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 02-08-2011 at 01:44 PM..
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links