Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat ?:::Pie:::? ?:::Pie:::?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
shorty has a reputation beyond repute
shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Savings: 0.00
Question ?:::Pie:::?

ok anyone got a simple pie recipe? iz gonna make a pie today but i ~~dont know how to make a pie~~ lol anwayz

anykind of pie my favz r

:::Apple::

Bananna

::cherry::

er any other kind u may have!!!

::::creamcheese:::is that considered pie er cake?? well if anyonez got a fast recipe fer it id love to hear it ?

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
RIP lil brother
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
No Bake Cheesecake Rated E-Z for beginners :-)

Ok, so it's not as good as a real baked NY style cheesecake to a cheesecake Natzi, but ya gotta start somewhere and this stuff is not bad.

In the baked goods aisle you can find graham cracker crusts ALREADY MADE in the pan. Take your favorite flavor - they come in chocolate, cinnamon and plain last time I looked.

While you're at the store in the baking aisle get a Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (Eagle Brand is a popular one, just make sure it says SWEETENED - just condensed milk is a whole 'nother thing) and some lemon juice (not the kind you drink the kind you bake with - brands are ReaLemon or are in those fake plastic lemons). You will need 1/3 c. which is around 3 ounces. If you don't have any vanilla extract at home you'll need some. Don't get the "imitation" stuff, sure it's cheaper but it tastes nassy!

You'll also need a can of pie filling. Comes in all flavors - cherry, apple, blueberry, peach, etc. AND an 8 oz package of cream cheese. You can use Neufschatel cheese if it's cheaper - it works the same.

Ok now for the assemblying -

Use an electric mixer on high speed to blend the can of sweetened condensed milk with the cream cheese. When it is really mixed up (about 5 minutes or so - it should be velvety smooth), pour in 1/3rd C. lemon juice and add a 1/4 tsp vanilla. Continue using the mixer on high speed until the mixture starts to thicken.

Pour the mixture into the pie crust and chill until firm (about 6 hours in the 'fridge). Top the "cheesecake" with the can of pie filling and serve or refridgerate some more (if you like the topping cold too).

And didja know there is a Recipe forum here on pw.com? You can find it here: http://www.powwows.com/gathering/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Last edited by between2worlds; 12-17-2006 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: sometimes english escapes me..
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Easy-Peasy Fruit Pie

Fruit pie really isn't any harder than the no bake cheese cake - 'cept you gotta cook it.

You can buy ready made pie crusts - Pilsbury sells 'em in packages of 2, most stores have their own brands. You can find them where they keep the ready made biscuits in the refridgerator case.

You'll need a pie pan. You can get a foil (disposable) or use metal, glass or ceramic. What you use will vary the cooking time a bit - glass and ceramic tend to "cook quicker" than the metal kind.

You'll also need fruit - apples, peaches, berries and even pears are good choices. Have fun - combine flavors like putting a handful of raspberries in a peach pie or some fresh ground cranberries in an apple pie! Make sure the fruit is ripe (yeah, go ahead and eat some of the fruit its the best way to find out!). Now the tricky part - you need to try to figure out how "juicy" the fruit is. That's why tasting works so well. If the apples seem a little dry, that will affect how much flour you put in the filling. If you bite into the apple and the juice runs down your chin - you'll wanna use a bit more flour (more on that in a minute). Berries are ALWAYS juicy.

Now some people say use a particular kind of apple like Granny Smith or Winesap. Truthfully, I've made great pies out of Golden Delicious (traditionally an "eating apple" not a "cooking apple") and every other kind in between. They're all good!

Let your pie crusts sit on the counter until they are at room temperature - otherwise when you unfold them, they will crack. You can kind of mush any holes back together once you get it fitted in the pan with a wet finger tip - but why invite hassles?

Put one crust in your pie pan. You'll want the same amount of crust hanging over all the way around.

Start the oven pre-heating to 350 deg F.

Peel and seed fruits like apples, peaches and pears. Remove the pits from cherries. Important - for things like apples you will need to cut them into slices: Make Sure The Slices Are As Close To The Same Thickness As Possible. Otherwise, some of your fruit will be done and some of it won't be!

You'll need 3-4 C. of prepared fruit - for me this is about a dozen small apples or 8-9 large ones. Put them in a big bowl and add 4 Tablespoons (the measuring kind) flour and the same amount of sugar. If what you're using for fruit is a little tart add a little more sugar AND a little more flour (cuz the sugar will pull the juice out of the fruit while it's cooking). If the fruit was juicy add a little more flour. For berries you will want to use 6 tablespoons of flour with 4 tablespoons of sugar. If you're going to put something like cinnamon in (about 1/2 teaspoon), now is the time to do it. Mix the flour and sugar (and spices if you're using any) in with a spoon or rubber spatula until all of the fruit is coated.

Dump the fruit into the crust lined pie pan. If you are adding raspberries to a peach pie, I like to just sprinkle them on top of the peaches. You should have a mound of fruit that is 2 -3 inches higher than the sides of your pan. Don't worry about that - it WILL cook down. Finally, I like to put the equivalent of 2 pats of butter dotted around the top of the fruit.

Now take your second crust and cover the fruit. You'll now have dough from that crust hanging over the edge of your pie. Take the upper and lower part of the overhang and fold them UNDER together like you would a lunch bag and tuck that along the rim of your pie pan. Some people get all the way fancy making sure the fold will stay shut - the easiest way is to take the tines of a fork and press them into the dough rim all the way around the lip of the pie pan.

The last thing you need to do is take a sharp knife and cut a steam hole in the upper crust. You can get all the way fancy with this too, but a simple 1" high "X" will work.

Again - some people take a beaten egg and brush egg on the top crust and sprinkle with some sugar or cinnamon and sugar. Your choice - it makes it "prettier" but isn't necessary.

Put The Pie Pan On A Cookie Sheet or a Square Of Aluminum Foil. Pies tend to drip sometimes and talk about a nasty smell when the drippings make a mess on the bottom of the oven!!!!

Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie crust gets browned and you can see the filling bubbling through the steam hole.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Dang. Now I want cheesecake. thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
hmmm.. I wonder about rhubarb cheesecake would be.......hhhmmm
Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

~!~!thanx 2 worlds~!~! ill try that :)

so now if anyone knows how to make a butter crust er yea i seen it on tv hehe ~but a simple crust~ i dont even know how to do that sheesh and a crumble top for an apple pie~!~ like i said i seen on tv n i wanted it but i dunno how to make it

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
RIP lil brother
Old 12-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
~!~!thanx 2 worlds~!~! ill try that :)

so now if anyone knows how to make a butter crust er yea i seen it on tv hehe ~but a simple crust~ i dont even know how to do that sheesh and a crumble top for an apple pie~!~ like i said i seen on tv n i wanted it but i dunno how to make it
*chuckles a bit* You'll have to ask someone else about making pie crusts. I can make great frybread, excellent bannock bread, good batterbreads and even decent biscuits. But when it comes to pie dough or yeast bread - well let's just say you'd be better off using buckskin for pie dough and a brick for yeast loaf bread instead of asking me how to make it. Cuz those two things are an improvement over what I can do.

When I make pies I have Tainee make the pie crusts and she is in charge of all homemade yeast breads! Recipes don't help me, having people show me hasn't helped, even having people coach me while I make these two things yields the same abyssmal results.

Now for crumb topping I know two sorts - a soft butter crumb (like you put on Dutch Apple or French Apple Pies) and a crisper kind using oats that is also classfied as a crumb topping - which kind do you want?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
hmmm.. I wonder about rhubarb cheesecake would be.......hhhmmm
mmmmmmm sounds goot.

Is now the time to tell ya I got Gramma's Rhubarb Custard, Rhubarb Meringue and Rhubarb Supreme Pie recipes?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds
*chuckles a bit* You'll have to ask someone else about making pie crusts. I can make great frybread, excellent bannock bread, good batterbreads and even decent biscuits. But when it comes to pie dough or yeast bread - well let's just say you'd be better off using buckskin for pie dough and a brick for yeast loaf bread instead of asking me how to make it. Cuz those two things are an improvement over what I can do.

When I make pies I have Tainee make the pie crusts and she is in charge of all homemade yeast breads! Recipes don't help me, having people show me hasn't helped, even having people coach me while I make these two things yields the same abyssmal results.

Now for crumb topping I know two sorts - a soft butter crumb (like you put on Dutch Apple or French Apple Pies) and a crisper kind using oats that is also classfied as a crumb topping - which kind do you want?
BTW, I make the crisco pie crusts ,its on the can its pretty simple to me. And as far as bread go's I have a home ec reciepe I LOVE !!! Ill dig it out, im going to be making hot rolls for several people real soon if you wish I can post it, and yes its cheating but when im in a hurry i get caned pie filling and put it in a homemade pie crust and my crew just loves it, and I always make extra dough so I can make cin and suger crust for my lil ones,and also I like to make shapes to go on top of my pies, like if Im making a cherry pie i free hand cherrys with leaves and stems ,and apples for apple, and its easy for people to tell what kind of pie it is before cutting into the pie, I even make a extra special apple pie for a certain brother of mine with Tipi's on it.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
BTW, I make the crisco pie crusts ,its on the can its pretty simple to me. And as far as bread go's I have a home ec reciepe I LOVE !!! Ill dig it out, im going to be making hot rolls for several people real soon if you wish I can post it, and yes its cheating but when im in a hurry i get caned pie filling and put it in a homemade pie crust and my crew just loves it, and I always make extra dough so I can make cin and suger crust for my lil ones,and also I like to make shapes to go on top of my pies, like if Im making a cherry pie i free hand cherrys with leaves and stems ,and apples for apple, and its easy for people to tell what kind of pie it is before cutting into the pie, I even make a extra special apple pie for a certain brother of mine with Tipi's on it.
I'd love the recipe Plumes... although Tainee would probably be the one making it.

I tried the recipe on the Crisco can - tough as shoe leather. Tainee made the same recipe - nice - tender and flakey. Tainee watched me make the same recipe.... tough as shoe leather. With pie crusts I'm just cursed
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
Senior Dancer

Thumbs up

everytime i wanna make a pie crust my mom says use lard

y lard

y not butter i tried crisco
just didnt work out

anywayz i was watching tv n they just threw their crust n pie all together with a crumble top n it only took a few minutes

now y cant i do it
i wanna do it too lol !!!!

::::::::::::did someone say hot rolls???

like cinnamon rolls?

anyone got a recipe for :::::::CinnamonROlls???::::

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
RIP lil brother
Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
OK Shorty and Pat Im going to start a Pie crust class ,you all have me concerned!!! lol
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #13
Great Uncle Patrick

Only the cheater kind of cinnamon rolls made outta biscuit dough. Got a recipe that Tainee makes real goot wif yeast. I'm such a jinx with yeast breads that I am actually BANNED from the kitchen when bread gets made.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Senior Dancer

Thumbs up

aight

everytime i make rolls out of ~scratch~ they end up hard enough to knock an adult out fer a day LOL

must be too much yeast or sometime my water is too hot or to cold or i dont really know but i get pretty upset grrrrrr i usurally wanna jus tear my hair out when i get done

so anyone know how to make rolls like dinner rolls ~~um or even (bakingpowder Biscuits) i always see them in my recipe books or at a friends house errr even in a ** restraunt when the butter jus melts on them **n they look so YUMMY ~!~!~!~ but when i try they turn out rather well ~grosss~ yucky ok well anwayz hope u all have a good day

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
RIP lil brother
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
Great Uncle Patrick

Now baking powder biscuits I can do - several varieties from white flour through using "exotic" things like cattail pollen or acorn flour. Stuffed biscuits are good too (where you put sausage/cheese or ham/cheese inside -- even make a kind with fruit and cream cheese on the inside). I can post some recipes when I get home tonight, if you want.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #16
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Alton Brown says use half lard, half butter, and keep it cold.. that means also wetting it down with ice water. We tried his method and I gotta tell you... the pie crust was absolutely DIVINE. Tender and flakey perfection!

Also, my hubby and I kinda made up our own apple pie version.. don't know if anyone else has ever tried this... but you can add a package of that golden raisin/bing cherries by sunmade to the apples and ... well let's put it this way.. no one else in our house got apple pie at thanksgiving time but me, or they would lose a body part.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

that does sound rather yummy Blackbear :)

~id love to hear it 2worlds i had no idea you could stuff a biscuit? :::::::::yummy::::::::::

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
RIP lil brother
Old 12-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #18
Pow Wow Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
aight

everytime i make rolls out of ~scratch~ they end up hard enough to knock an adult out fer a day LOL

must be too much yeast or sometime my water is too hot or to cold or i dont really know but i get pretty upset grrrrrr i usurally wanna jus tear my hair out when i get done

so anyone know how to make rolls like dinner rolls ~~um or even (bakingpowder Biscuits) i always see them in my recipe books or at a friends house errr even in a ** restraunt when the butter jus melts on them **n they look so YUMMY ~!~!~!~ but when i try they turn out rather well ~grosss~ yucky ok well anwayz hope u all have a good day
One tip for hard bread or or tough bread is dont work it too much!!!!!! if the dough is over worked it gets tuff. Like when working with fry bread dough.. and as far as water temp the reciepe or the yeast its self alot of times will tell you what temp to have the water I use go by touch but I know some who swear by a candy thermometer, it will tell you what degre the water is.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
For biscuits, they turn out best made with buttermilk. Make sure you thoroughly cut in the shortening (or lard). Then just barely mix in the liquid and gently roll it out.

For "real" bread, the rest time, rising time and kneading times are very important. The problem is usually not enough time on any of those, or not enough liquid. Just don't go too long on the final rise or you'll have big air pockets.

Alton Brown had a good show about bread, as well.

Very Basic Bread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
See this recipe on air Wednesday Dec. 27 at 7:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Good Eats
Episode: Dr. Strangeloaf

1 pound bread flour, plus extra for shaping
1 teaspoon instant rapid rise yeast
2 teaspoons honey
10 ounces bottled or filtered water NOT DISTILLED
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 quarts hot water
Vegetable oil, for greasing the rising container
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Combine 5 ounces of the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of the yeast, all of the honey, and all of the bottled water in a straight-sided container; cover loosely and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
Place the remaining 11 ounces of flour, remaining yeast, and all the salt into the bowl of a stand mixer, and add the pre-ferment from the refrigerator. Using the dough hook attachment, knead the mixture on low for 2 to 3 minutes just until it comes together. Cover the dough in the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, knead the dough on medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes or until you are able to gently pull the dough into a thin sheet that light will pass through. The dough will be sticky, but not so sticky that you can't handle it.

While the dough is kneading, pour half of the hot water into a shallow pan and place on the bottom rack of your oven.

Grease the inside of a large straight-sided container with the vegetable oil. Place the dough ball into the container and set on the rack above the pan of water. Allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 to 2 hours.

Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it onto a counter top, lightly dust your hands with flour, and press the dough out with your knuckles; then fold 1 side in towards the middle of the mass and then the other, as if you were making a tri-fold wallet. Repeat the folding a second time. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for another 10 minutes.

Flatten dough again with your knuckles and then fold the dough in onto itself, like you are shaping something that looks like a jellyfish. Turn the dough over and squeeze the bottom together so that the top surface of the dough is smooth. Place the dough back onto the counter and begin to roll gently between your hands. Do not grab the dough but allow it to move gently back and forth between your hands, moving in a circular motion. Move the dough ball to a pizza peel or the bottom of a sheet pan that has been sprinkled with the cornmeal. Cover with the kitchen towel and allow to bench proof for 1 hour, or until you poke the dough and it quickly fills back in where you poked it.

Place an unglazed terra cotta dish upside down into the oven and heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the 1/3 cup of water and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Uncover the dough and brush the surface with this mixture. Gently slash the top surface of the dough ball in several places, approximately 1/3 to 1/2-inch deep. Add more of the hot water to the shallow pan if it has evaporated. Slide the bread onto the terra cotta dish in the oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Once the bread has reached an internal temperature of 205 to 210 degrees F, remove to a cooling rack and allow to sit for 30 minutes before slicing.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #20
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds
Now baking powder biscuits I can do - several varieties from white flour through using "exotic" things like cattail pollen or acorn flour. Stuffed biscuits are good too (where you put sausage/cheese or ham/cheese inside -- even make a kind with fruit and cream cheese on the inside). I can post some recipes when I get home tonight, if you want.
Hey B2W..

those sound Sooo yummy...
Post recipe when ya can.. im always up for new recipes..

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links