PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   "Please, tell me more about my own culture". (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/please-tell-me-more-about-my-own-culture-64409/)

RestlessN8iv 08-07-2012 02:45 PM

"Please, tell me more about my own culture".

Sorry I need to vent/unwind. I just got done having a conversation with an "Expert" on Indian culture who claimed there were no Matriarchal societies in American Indian history.

It should have made me laugh but instead it infuriated me, and an argument ensued. When I finally showed her the proof from several credible sources she accused me of thinking I was the representative of all Indians. There is just no talking to some folk.

This is something we all get at some point (sometimes in this very forum). So please. I need some solidarity here. Share your stories of non natives "educating" you on Indian culture.

you may want to do as I say... Apparently I'm your representative now.

jeraldk 08-07-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section 8 (Post 1544998)
Sorry I need to vent/unwind. I just got done having a conversation with an "Expert" on Indian culture who claimed there were no Matriarchal societies in American Indian history.

It should have made me laugh but instead it infuriated me, and an argument ensued. When I finally showed her the proof from several credible sources she accused me of thinking I was the representative of all Indians. There is just no talking to some folk.

This is something we all get at some point (sometimes in this very forum). So please. I need some solidarity here. Share your stories of non natives "educating" you on Indian culture.

you may want to do as I say... Apparently I'm your representative now.

I've never heard of Matriarchal Societies in my tribe or the surrounding tribe's (in Utah).

wyo_rose 08-07-2012 04:28 PM

Dontcha love the "experts" who say they would "make a better Indian" because they know more about "being Indian" than some real native. :rolleyes:

Toolbox 08-07-2012 04:49 PM

Some old guy tried to school my fiance on ndns when she was at Walmart a few weeks ago... I'm surprised she didn't gut him in the store or ram her status card into his face followed by a fist... LOL

CandaePrincess 08-07-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1545010)
Some old guy tried to school my fiance on ndns when she was at Walmart a few weeks ago... I'm surprised she didn't gut him in the store or ram her status card into his face followed by a fist... LOL

your fiance sounds kind of violent dude. *L* j/k!

RestlessN8iv 08-07-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandaePrincess (Post 1545012)

As the new representative of all native people, I approve. (I'm going to have fun with the new title for weeks XD)

Toolbox 08-07-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

You know how southern women are... LOL

comadre 08-07-2012 09:24 PM

jeraldk 08-07-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

i think most native women are violent haha

RestlessN8iv 08-07-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comadre (Post 1545025)
"I" am the Indian representative for the whole Indian nation! cuz don't you know that ~well....there's only one big one you know(sarcasm). I actually had an anthropologist offer me a lot of money if I would be willing to claim him so he could get into a closed ceremony. :thinking: When I explained the ceremony was someone's "private family event" he then went on to explain the symbolism and the roles of my own child's community. sheeeesh.

but to list the absurdity I just experienced recently ~

We have a "professional" person who comes into our home to work with our child. That person came into my home at a time that was unexpected and witnessed something of cultural significance that used cultural "items" if you will.She wanted to use this item with my child. I explained to her that "women do not do this."
Sadly~ she screamed discrimination and threatened a complaint because .....I offended her.

And then~ I love this one!
When my hubby mentioned the gender roles played out in our own home, a non native counselor (who attended a native retreat of some sort??)uses an example of raising a teepee to educate my hubby on his own gender role. Good God Almighty! My hubby does not come from a people that raise tee pees! ROFLOL!
we fired him.

I'll stop here for now.

It is ironic. American Indian tribes are probably the most studied race cultures etc. On the planet and people still get it wrong half the time.

comadre 08-08-2012 01:02 AM

Toolbox 08-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeraldk (Post 1545027)

You ain't-just-a-kidding... LOL.

Zeke 08-08-2012 02:47 PM

It's not that I really care, and I am not calling anyone out, but there was a thread recently wherein some Native got ticked because an advanced matriarchal society was implied by someone. In this thread, a Native is ticked because a matriarchal society is NOT accepted by someone.

IRONY.

What I know is that I learn more about us by how we relate amongst ourselves than anything else.

And, Native women are violent. For me, things never work out with them. Probably, because I make them that way? :shot:

CandaePrincess 08-08-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1545062)

And, Native women are violent. Probably, because I make them that way? :shot:

no truer words have ever been spoken. ha! :P

yaahl 08-12-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1545062)
It's not that I really care, and I am not calling anyone out, but there was a thread recently wherein some Native got ticked because an advanced matriarchal society was implied by someone. In this thread, a Native is ticked because a matriarchal society is NOT accepted by someone.

IRONY.

What I know is that I learn more about us by how we relate amongst ourselves than anything else.

And, Native women are violent. For me, things never work out with them. Probably, because I make them that way? :shot:

That was me.

It wasn't the issue of it being a matriarchal society it was the assumption by the OP that it somehow equated to a European/western mode of feminism. I think where you might be getting confused as to irony is that I argued that while matriarchal systems are women driven, they are not anywhere close to a form of feminism. They are what they are... no need to put a European label on them. Now the question is, are there any actual Matriarchal societies or are they simply a system of inheritance/ownership that flows through the women? I would say they are the latter and touted by Europeans as a "society" as they had no actual reference point in their own culture to liken the female inheritance/ownership modes they first saw with some of our nations. All the then Europeans had for any small reference was feminine pagan rituals and so-called witchcraft (recall if you will that the 1400-1600s were rife with anti-female Church beliefs - which would have flowed down to North American explorer's own beliefs and reference points.)

Section 8, please extend an invitation to this "expert" to come on up here to Canuckistan and meet my people... who are very matriarchal...lol

wardancer 08-12-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section 8 (Post 1545030)
It is ironic. American Indian tribes are probably the most studied race cultures etc. On the planet and people still get it wrong half the time.

Most of the time !
But remember , we all look alike !

comadre 08-12-2012 05:30 PM

RestlessN8iv 08-12-2012 08:07 PM

I watched "Thunderheart" with my non native GF the other day. After the scene where the tribal cop tellz Val Kilmer that it is tradition to bring tobacco as a gift when visiting an elder.

GF: "is that true?"

Me: "not in my tribe. Grandma quit smoking ten years ago!"

Ketzalitzli 08-15-2012 04:27 PM

:actionsmi
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeraldk (Post 1545027)

Clarification: Its not "violence", its just showin love! Unless she catches you lookin too hard around the arbor.. Then, IDK! LOL

jeraldk 08-15-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketzalitzli (Post 1545562)
:actionsmi

Clarification: Its not "violence", its just showin love! Unless she catches you lookin too hard around the arbor.. Then, IDK! LOL

I knowwww ennit haha. dang her, always catchin me lookin around, even when I have my darkest shades on.