Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Pocahontas Pocahontas

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Pocahontas

The new movie "The New World" will premier in New York City and Los Angeles this weekend. It will be interesting to look at some facts on one of the principal characters in this movie - Pocahontas - and how she is accurately portrayed.

In The New World movie, Q'Orianka Kilcher, a Native actress plays Pocahontas. Kilcher was born in Peru and is from the Huachipaeri and Quechua tribes

There are already mixed reviews of The New World movie. As always, these reviews are from reviewers who write for syndicated columns. Knowledge of history and the actual events that surrounded Pocahonta's life are subject to these reviewer's individual interpretations.

Facts about Pocahontas:

There is debate about her actual birth date. Some say 1595 or 1596 in what is now the state of Virginia.

Her Algonquian name was Matoaka.

Pocahonta's was one of the many daughters of Powhatan. Indian Princess? Hmmmmm?

There is debate over whether John Smith fabricated the story of Pocahonta's saving him from being clubbed to death (he made 3 claims of being saved 3 different times).

Pocahontas was taken hostage under false pretenses by colonists according to two different accounts in 1612 or 1613. While in captivity, she was baptized with the English name, Rebecca.

In 1614, she married John Rolfe and became Rebecca Rolfe.

In 1615, she gave birth to Thomas Rolfe.

In 1616, she went to England where she was treated to the priviledged aristocrisy.

Pocahontas died on March 21, 1617, at the age of 21 or 22 (depending on what account you read).

She was buried n Gravesend, England

Last edited by WhoMe; 12-22-2005 at 02:37 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I intend to go see this as soon as it comes out.

I would also like to recommend an article in the December issue of SMITHSONIAN magazine, entitled "Native Intelligence: Squanto and the Pilgrims". This is not your elementary school teacher's perspective. It is thorough and thought provoking and covers the pre-colonization period, the Wampanoag feud with the Narragansett, and relations between the Indians and colonists leading up to our 'Thanksgiving'. So, it does pre-date Pocahontas, but it appears to give an accurate and positive portrayal of Native people. It is based on Charles Mann's book "1491".
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
I plan on going to see this. I wonder what kind of responses there will be.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Otter
I wonder what kind of responses there will be.
Some reviewers have not been too kind, so far.

I am not "holding my breath" that Indian people will agree with how Indian culture is interpreted.

I am like a lot of Indians,

"there is not a lot of Indians on the big screen or television. When there is, I check it out."
Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
I learned along time ago not to listen to the critics. 2
of my all-time favorite movies are Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs, and they panned them both.

Oh, I'm really showing my age there, arent I?

Anyhow, I plan on seeing it.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

wolfwind is just really nice
Sounds like it's going to be a good movie. I definitely plan on seeing it.
wolfwind is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
I'll see it when it comes out on DVD.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe

Facts about Pocahontas:
Pocahonta's was one of the many daughters of Powhatan. Indian Princess? Hmmmmm?

I remember reading that she was one of 100 children but she was Powhatan's favorite. Always made me wonder just how bright her personality would have been to have the favoritism of a father of 100 or more children, and to steal the hearts of the British. She was extremely popular in England.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
I remember reading that she was one of 100 children but she was Powhatan's favorite. Always made me wonder just how bright her personality would have been to have the favoritism of a father of 100 or more children, and to steal the hearts of the British. She was extremely popular in England.

BlackB,

Oh I DEFINITELY know the feeling.

I work with the public....

I often meet people who the first thing that comes out of their mouths is "my great, great grandmother was a Cherokee Princess!"

Now my instant response is....

"We must be related! MYYYY great, great Grandfather was the ONLY Cherokee Prince!"
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
there was a premire hear in Va last night for alot of the people that were in the movie and so far i've talked to several of the people that went to see it.

i've heard mixed reviews about it but i'm still going to go and see it and make up my own mind when it comes out on the 13th of Jan.

Last edited by tigger; 12-23-2005 at 05:11 PM..
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links