PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Question concerning symbol; rain cloud. (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/question-concerning-symbol-rain-cloud-64237/)

NeutronTon 07-19-2012 12:06 PM

Question concerning symbol; rain cloud.

Hi! Hope you don't mind me posting this question here but looking to get some insight.

I just came back from a fantastic vacation in Montana with my wife. Close to where our cabin was located we would pass a barn with a native American rain cloud symbol on it. I was taken by its design and researched its meaning. I am considering getting a tattoo of the symbol but don't have any native American ancestry. I do have the utmost respect of native Americans that lived on this land and called it home a long time before I ever did. What are your thoughts? Is it too sacred a symbol for a non-native American to carry? Thanks.

eyesrbrown4areason 07-19-2012 08:15 PM

:whatchuta

Hey while we are on this subject..I just saw an amazing picture of a cross..I was wondering if it is too sacred of a symbol to have tattooed on my azz...:thumbsup:

comadre 07-19-2012 08:57 PM

comadre 07-19-2012 09:03 PM

NeutronTon 07-20-2012 12:01 AM

@eyesrbrown4areason, perhaps you didn't know there was a jokes section? My question is not posted there. If you can elaborate on how the rain cloud relates to the Christian cross, that would be great. But I'm not so sure it does. Prove me wrong.

@comadre, still not helping me out here. Educate me or don't waste our time.

NeutronTon 07-20-2012 12:08 AM

Basically all I'm saying is, would you, being native American or a descendant of one, give a rats "azz" (to quote @eyesrbrown4areason) seeing a white man with said symbol. A simple yes or no will suffice, and I'll be gone.

comadre 07-20-2012 01:04 AM

Zeke 07-20-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1543989)
Basically all I'm saying is, would you, being native American or a descendant of one, give a rats "azz" (to quote @eyesrbrown4areason) seeing a white man with said symbol. A simple yes or no will suffice, and I'll be gone.

I'll help.

I could not care less what anyone tattoos on their a-s-s.

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-20-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comadre (Post 1543992)
One can not carry a cloud around. And if you try to keep it in your pocket you will look like you peed yourself.Then you get called names like "steals clouds, pees pants".

Basically all I'm saying is, would you, being native American or a descendant of one,................

well~I guess that leaves me out of having an opinion!

where is the like button {"

NeutronTon 07-20-2012 09:17 AM

Another comedian, guess I did post this in jokes after all.

yaahl 07-20-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1544008)
Another comedian, guess I did post this in jokes after all.

Ok, little wannabe azz inker... listen up.

If you want to tattoo an image on your azz, arm or neck no one gives a toss what you want to do to your body.

If you want to visit a website for and about Native people AND insist that we respond to your little wannabe azz in a manner in which you might understand... think again.

We have our own ways of dealing with stupid and annoying questions that besiege us daily from people like you who think they can commune with some animal's spirit just because they sprayed some eau du sage bought off the internet Shaman's site on them and tattooed a fake eagle feather on their azz.

Seriously, did you think you are the very first stuck-in-the-60s hippy/flower child that sees a Native image and wants to co-opt it because it "looked cool"? Do you have any idea how pompous and self-righteous you are sounding at the moment?

Give your head a shake ... and when you're done... think about how you can sound any less pompous or azzlike.

Now for the moderator head... play nice or you'll be leaving here very quickly.

wardancer 07-20-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1543948)
Hi! Hope you don't mind me posting this question here but looking to get some insight.

You asked for some insight and that's what you are getting ! It's really a rather STUPID question in the first place , but you obviously just don't understand anything about tribal symbols compared to the white's religious symbols.......duh , same thing !
On a personal note , you will obviously do whatever you want , cause you don't really care , and the truth is I don't care what you do either.
IT'S ALL ABOUT RESPECT !

rezrazed 07-20-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1543987)
@eyesrbrown4areason, perhaps you didn't know there was a jokes section? My question is not posted there. If you can elaborate on how the rain cloud relates to the Christian cross, that would be great. But I'm not so sure it does. Prove me wrong.

I can chuckle head, oops sorry, steals clouds pees pants. Simply put, they are both symbols of religon/spirituality that are NOT possessed by YOU, yet you would like to appropriate it for yourself, that's how they're relate. And I don't think you have to worry about anyone proving you wrong, as much as you should worry about how much you proved yourself ignorant.
Let me give you a little NDN 101 here
1. There are certain things you don't ask
2. Remain respectful to the people whose culture you are trying to appropriate and/or rape
3. Keep your mouth shut and you might just learn something
4. Stupidity will only bring sarcasm
Need I go on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1543989)

With that line of thinking, would you mind telling us all what position you and your wife procreate in? And remember a simple yes or no would suffice?

Some things you just should NEVER ask, it's just RUDE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by comadre (Post 1543992)
One can not carry a cloud around. And if you try to keep it in your pocket you will look like you peed yourself.Then you get called names like "steals clouds, pees pants".

:hysterica

NeutronTon 07-20-2012 10:55 AM

Sorry everyone, lesson learned. I really didnt mean to offend, be pompous or disrespectful. But really wasn't expecting so much negativity.

yaahl 07-20-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutronTon (Post 1544016)
Sorry everyone, lesson learned. I really didnt mean to offend, be pompous or disrespectful. But really wasn't expecting so much negativity.

Do you think you can stop for minute exchanging one foot in your mouth for another?

Again, you apply your semiotics and meanings of your world to a conversation that you initiated with a group of people that have a distinct way of dealing with pompous, rude people. Yet, when you fail to graps that you are being responded to in a very appropriate way, you get all pouty and well, negative.

So the only negativity I see, is coming from you.

I'll stop typing now and let your brain catch up to what you are reading and maybe your feet will thank you. I suspect they are getting tired of being chewed on.

NorthofAda 07-20-2012 11:12 AM

As was said earlier here - the key word is RESPECT.

We, as Native people, are accustomed to this. For example, our regalia (dance clothes) are specific to the tribes we come from. Some of the designs used in applique or beadwork are not just tribe specific, they are unique to specific families. I wouldn't just up and make myself an outfit using Lakota style (as I am not Lakota) and someone's family design because it "looked cool." To say it would be rude would be an understatement, and if I got a serious verbal tongue-lashing at the first powwow I wore it to, I would deserve it.

Unfortunately for you, this is like the umpteenth time somebody has asked this kind of thing, and as you can see patience for those kinds of sensitive questions has pretty much run dry.

Leave the native stuff to us natives. There must be a symbol or design from your own heritage that would be more appropriate and way more meaningful.

NeutronTon 07-20-2012 11:24 AM

Ok moving on. Thanks.

Itzhecatl 07-20-2012 02:44 PM

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
Thanks for the laugh everyone!

comadre 07-21-2012 02:56 PM

Grits & Beans 07-22-2012 02:19 AM

gurney!!!! :stretche:

:hysterica