Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree10621Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Redhorse cafe Redhorse cafe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #41721
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 72,423.33
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
Oh check you out...you make the homemade ice cream too?
About every 10 years, LOL. I made three gals for the company picnic and now this.

Vanilla Ice Cream

5 c whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
6 eggs
3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 Tbsp very good vanilla extract

To make the custard:

In a 1 qt or larger heat proof bowl, beat the eggs until lemon yellow and doubled in volume. (The quality of the emulsion made in this step determines what the texture of the ice cream will be like after tempering.)

In a 3 qt heavy sauce pan, heat milk and sugar over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Once the mixture reaches 180F, remove from heat.

Temper the eggs by very slowly adding 1/2 of the milk and sugar mixture. Whisk constantly during the addition of the hot milk. Pour the resulting mixture back into the sauce pan.

Return to med-low heat. Stirring constantly heat the mixture to 170-180F and hold for at least 5 mins. (This kills any salmonella that may be present in the eggs.) Once the mixture begins to coat the back of the spoon -- you finger should leave a trail when run through the mixture on the spoon -- remove from heat. This is usually takes about 2 mins more.

Cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To freeze:

Mix cold custard, vanilla and heavy cream in the canister of a 4 qt ice cream freezer. Freeze according to instructions. Temper for 2-4 hours before eating.

The only emulsifier in this ice cream is the lecithin from the eggs. Unlike commercial ice cream this will be rock hard after 8 hours in the freezer, and it has little inhibit ice crystal growth. So, it is best to bring this to scoopable consistency by placing it in the fridge 2-3 hours before serving. This will preserve the texture better. But this is the summer mayfly of ice creams, so eat it fast.
windanncer, subeeds and RDNKJ like this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #41722
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,552.42
Savings: 1.00
You could make a killing if you opened a desert shop! LoL

Good morning cafe
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #41723
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
About every 10 years, LOL. I made three gals for the company picnic and now this.

Vanilla Ice Cream

5 c whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
6 eggs
3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 Tbsp very good vanilla extract

To make the custard:

In a 1 qt or larger heat proof bowl, beat the eggs until lemon yellow and doubled in volume. (The quality of the emulsion made in this step determines what the texture of the ice cream will be like after tempering.)

In a 3 qt heavy sauce pan, heat milk and sugar over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Once the mixture reaches 180F, remove from heat.

Temper the eggs by very slowly adding 1/2 of the milk and sugar mixture. Whisk constantly during the addition of the hot milk. Pour the resulting mixture back into the sauce pan.

Return to med-low heat. Stirring constantly heat the mixture to 170-180F and hold for at least 5 mins. (This kills any salmonella that may be present in the eggs.) Once the mixture begins to coat the back of the spoon -- you finger should leave a trail when run through the mixture on the spoon -- remove from heat. This is usually takes about 2 mins more.

Cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To freeze:

Mix cold custard, vanilla and heavy cream in the canister of a 4 qt ice cream freezer. Freeze according to instructions. Temper for 2-4 hours before eating.

The only emulsifier in this ice cream is the lecithin from the eggs. Unlike commercial ice cream this will be rock hard after 8 hours in the freezer, and it has little inhibit ice crystal growth. So, it is best to bring this to scoopable consistency by placing it in the fridge 2-3 hours before serving. This will preserve the texture better. But this is the summer mayfly of ice creams, so eat it fast.

How cool! I just happened to have a large ice cream freezer!! Great tips along with the recipe...as usual! THANKS!!
windanncer and RDNKJ like this.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #41724
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
What it is on this fine Sunday?
windanncer likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #41725
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94,167.08
Just finished up a killer chocolate and vanilla malt shake. Hbu?
windanncer likes this.
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #41726
Ugh. As. If.

Got no sweet tooth today lol

Picked up some charcoal so I can bbq later this week. Leaves turning colors n falling already and it's not even mid august....
windanncer likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #41727
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Good morning, everybody!

I can now vouch that @OLChemist does, indeed, make a mean chocolate cake!

I used her recipe yesterday - everyone raved and there were no leftovers.

I ended up overcooking it slightly; I'll remember that next time I make it.

@OLChemist - I just sprinkled some powdered sugar on top and served it w/vanilla ice cream (store bought). Do you usually frost/glaze it? I'm thinking a dark chocolate ganache/glaze with some candied orange peel sprinkled on top would be perfect.

It's definitely a keeper recipe!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #41728
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad it worked for you. Like all foam cakes, it is very easy to overcook it slightly. Next time, once has cooled to room temperature, carefully turn it over on to a kitchen towel covered plate, sprinkle the bottom with a little more the liqueur, flip it on a plate and cover it tightly. It a few hours, that hard crust it gets when over cooked will soften.

I dust it with powdered sugar, usually through a stencil. When I've been in a remind folks that Europeans ate cabbage, rye bread and pig parts before coming to New World for take-out mood, I've gotten fancy and used powdered sugar and accents of finely ground, toasted blue corn meal for the pattern.

When I would make this for my thesis adviser's birthday (yes, it is called sucking up, LOL), I would make two cakes. I'd layer them with a filling made with a good, somewhat bitter orange marmalade -- Mackay's or Keiller's if you can get it -- heated and thinned with a touch of sugar and water. Then top with powdered sugar and candied orange peel.

A ganache would be nice, especially a semi or bittersweet one. Those can be touchy; they'll seize up on you if you look at them wrong.
windanncer and RDNKJ like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #41729
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
@RDNKJ I forgot to ask, which liqueur did you use?

Dang, talking about this recipe has brought back some memories. When I first made this, I was a grad student. I didn't own a double boiler. I had a cheesy, dime-store hand mixer, which burst into flames while making an angel food cake some years later. I melted the chocolate in my only mixing bowl, a huge 8 quart metal deal, balanced on a 2 qt sauce pan. I didn't own a springform pan, so I built this complicated contraption out of layers of broiler foil. The oven thermostat had died sometime when turquoise appliances were still fashionable. So, I had to keep watching the oven thermometer and turning the oven on and off.

I love being a grown up and having enough disposable income to own three mixing bowls and a couple springform pans, LOL.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #41730
Ugh. As. If.

burst into flames...spoken like a true chemist
Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #41731
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 69,454.98
Gotta say I have enjoyed life as a vicarious glutton on this thread @OLChemist. I saw you mention on another thread you wree in a silver-smithing class...

You still doing that?
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #41732
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
...you wree in a silver-smithing class...

You still doing that?
@gilisi, I finished that class. John Cogswell was, as always, a superb teacher.

I've reached that point, I always hit about this time of year, where I have four major pieces and a couple of minor ones waiting for final polishing, patination, and/or stone setting. I don't have a complete studio at my home right now, since my insurance company is frowning on the torch in the historic wooden home. So, I've signed up for studio time over the Craft Guild. Come Sept, I'll be sitting in the corner of studio all day Sat, scaring the newbies, LOL.
windanncer, subeeds and gilisi like this.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #41733
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
hey noobz, check out my blowtorch

I've always been fascinated with silversmithing. It would be cool to see some of that in the F-word thread.
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"
Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #41734
Lion of Judah

RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
@RDNKJ I forgot to ask, which liqueur did you use?

Dang, talking about this recipe has brought back some memories. When I first made this, I was a grad student. I didn't own a double boiler. I had a cheesy, dime-store hand mixer, which burst into flames while making an angel food cake some years later. I melted the chocolate in my only mixing bowl, a huge 8 quart metal deal, balanced on a 2 qt sauce pan. I didn't own a springform pan, so I built this complicated contraption out of layers of broiler foil. The oven thermostat had died sometime when turquoise appliances were still fashionable. So, I had to keep watching the oven thermometer and turning the oven on and off.

I love being a grown up and having enough disposable income to own three mixing bowls and a couple springform pans, LOL.
I used Grand Marnier; I almost always have either that or Triple Sec on hand. I haven't made a layer cake in forever. But next time I make your chocolate cake I'm gonna try it like you used to make for your advisor. I have enough English in me that I always have bitter orange marmalade in the pantry. I still don't own a double boiler. For some reason I just can't force myself to spend the money and buy one. I still use the mixing bowl perched on top of a sauce pan technique! lol My hand mixer is one I bought for $10 at either Target or HEB many, many years ago. It just won't die! I've had "better," more expensive ones, but they've all [email protected] out. The cheapie one just keeps on going.

Not really for cake baking, but one day I'm gonna break down and buy a super-duper KitchenAid stand mixer. I love homemade bread, and I enjoy baking it. But as I get older, I'm less and less willing to take the time and energy mixing and kneading the dough. Mmmmmmm......some fresh-baked challah w/butter and honey would be good right about now!
windanncer likes this.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #41735
Lion of Judah

I'm always amazed at other people's artistic abilities. Myself - I have absolutely none. I can draw stick figures that almost hold up to something drawn by your average pre-schooler. I took a glassblowing class last September. It was fun, but I have no talent. I was able to make: 1. a blob that can be used as a paperweight; 2. a Christmas ornament that looks more like a bleeding heart (veins and all); and 3. what was supposed to be a drinking glass ended up looking more like a (to put it mildly) "marital aid." Definitely x-rated.

It did make the whole class laugh, though!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #41736
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
Mmmmmmm......some fresh-baked challah w/butter and honey would be good right about now!
Recipe or take out -- now! :)

Ahh, yes, beginning glass blowing. There is a glass blowing school about 2 blocks from my house. They always tell the students it takes 6 years to become proficient. I've seen a few interestingly shaped vessels emerge from the annealing oven.
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-12-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #41737
Lion of Judah

Challah for @OLChemist (and anyone else who wants any)!

++++++++++++

@OLChemist - you already have the recipe I use. I use Joan Nathan's recipe from her Holiday Cookbook.

I used to make 2 loaves every week for Shabbos. Now I usually buy them from WholeFoods.

Another good thing about challah - it makes most excellent french toast!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #41738
Ugh. As. If.

That looks good, I'll have some of that!
windanncer, subeeds and gilisi like this.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #41739
Pow Wow Committee

Me 2.... What does it taste like? is it sweet?
windanncer, subeeds and RDNKJ like this.

"Show me somethin"
Old 08-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #41740
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
I've always been fascinated with silversmithing.

You should try it. It is immensely satisfying.
Sponsored Links