Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9319Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Redhorse cafe Redhorse cafe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #45921
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 75,708.78
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
I've got cake for everybody! Red velvet cake-one of my faves.
Thanks! Now is that red from dye or from the beet sugar? Either way - yum!

I also have espresso now!

Calves are feeling a lot better today. I guess that last crow hop did me in on Sunday.
subeeds, Alli3 and Broken Arrow like this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #45922
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 53,515.67
I'll take a bowl of blue cornmeal mush, topped with a couple spoonfuls of leftover carne adovada and a little cheese, or shrimp and grits with a couple biscuits. Whichever Chuy has the fixin's for.

Well, I'm signing the contract to get my porch fixed. I'm so nervous about these repairs. I hate having structural brickwork touched on my antique (trans. semi-decrepit) home. But, the side walls are rolling out because the footers are shot.

I got to let my brand-new neighbors, of all of 1 day, that they may not want to park their huge, shiny-new F350 in their driveway. Since the wall of porch, that the contractor is tearing down, is exactly 27" from the door of this new truck, I'd recommend they park on the street for a couple days. We'll see how that flies.
wardancer, subeeds, Alli3 and 1 others like this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #45923
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,010.40
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I'll take a bowl of blue cornmeal mush, topped with a couple spoonfuls of leftover carne adovada and a little cheese, or shrimp and grits with a couple biscuits. Whichever Chuy has the fixin's for.

Well, I'm signing the contract to get my porch fixed. I'm so nervous about these repairs. I hate having structural brickwork touched on my antique (trans. semi-decrepit) home. But, the side walls are rolling out because the footers are shot.

I got to let my brand-new neighbors, of all of 1 day, that they may not want to park their huge, shiny-new F350 in their driveway. Since the wall of porch, that the contractor is tearing down, is exactly 27" from the door of this new truck, I'd recommend they park on the street for a couple days. We'll see how that flies.
Dang , wishing I wasn't so busy ! LOL I was a masonry restoration expert in my working career ! I actually have been on some of the most historic buildings in Texas , including the Capitol Building , The Governors Mansion , the famous U.T.Tower ,UT Student Union bldg. , The Dallas Courthouse , Several Oooold Dallas mansions among others !Even in San Antonio and Houston !Enough reminiscing ! Coffee to go , I've got house restoring to do here ! Laterz all

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #45924
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Oh , and the same job in the KC area ! All the old buildings ! Make em look new !
OLChemist and subeeds like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 03-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #45925
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Thanks! Now is that red from dye or from the beet sugar?
OK. I got to play chemist.

Betanin -- Beetroot Red, E162, 4-(2-(2-carboxy-5-(beta-D-glucopyranosyloxy)-2,3-dihydro-6- hydroxy-1H-indol-1-yl)ethenyl)-2,3-dihydro-(S-(R*,R*))-2,6-pyridinedicarboxylic acid -- is an aromatic indole derivative and a glycoside. There is a highly conjugated (colored) portion attached to a sugar molecule.

We've all seen the incredible magenta stains, pickled beets make. This is a highly concentrate soup of dye molecules, of which betanin is the most common. Chemically it is a delicate beast. Betanin readily degrades in the presence of oxygen and light and at elevated temperatures -- like baking a cake. Moisture and certain metal ions accelerate these reactions. As a food colorant, it is suitable mostly for frozen preparations and certain candies, like fondants and cream centers. The highly colored solutions you get from boiling beets, that are used for dying easter eggs and yarns, also carry a lot of beet flavor. Not desirable in a food dye.

Allura Red -- FD&C Red 40, Disodium 6-hydroxy-5-[(2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonate -- is a azo dye, originally derived from coal tar. It's probably one of the hundreds of coal tar dyes developed Johann Griess, Rudolf Nietzki and their colleagues in the German chemical industry around the turn of the last century.

It's a more stable molecule, allowing it to be used in a wider range of food products and processing methods.
subeeds, Toolbox and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #45926
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Grrr, one of our lens array designers needs to test an array for a new detector. Unfortunately, the company only provides a nice evaluation module for the digital version of the chip. Our existing test rig uses analog sensors. My colleague isn't electronics savy, so the project has migrated to my desk.

There is an analog version of this chip. But it's SMD in a 8 pin leadless chip carrier. I can't find a suitable breakout. Or even an unsuitable one I could beat into shape. The 2 axis MEMs accelerometers that are in all our phones, use this form-factor. But not one evaluation board I've found comes sans chip.

(Rose, sucks her lips in over her teeth, rocks her office chair back and forth, and says in a quivering voice, "I remember when chips had pins...") I pine for the days when getting an evaluation board meant receiving an envelope with a bare PCB, an anti-stat bag with a chip, and plastic bag full of resistors and caps. Now you get a sensor hooked up to some flavor of ATmega AVR microcontroller, with several pieces of software of varying quality, a USB cable, and some FTDI driver you have to locate on the internet.

Hopefully, my colleague can get the company to send us a sensor board sans chip. Or just a couple extra sensor breakout boards, that I can de-chip. Otherwise I need to find a place that can make me a few cheap breakout PCB's. Maybe even solder the dang chips to them.
subeeds, Toolbox and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #45927
Senior Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,925.77
Quote:
Grrr, one of our lens array designers needs to test an array for a new detector. My colleague isn't electronics savy, so the project has migrated to my desk.

There is an analog version of this chip. But it's SMD in a 8 pin leadless chip carrier. I can't find a suitable breakout. Or even an unsuitable one I could beat into shape.

(Rose, sucks her lips in over her teeth, rocks her office chair back and forth, and says in a quivering voice, "I remember when chips had pins...") I pine for the days when getting an evaluation board meant receiving an envelope with a bare PCB, an anti-stat bag with a chip, and plastic bag full of resistors and caps.

Now you get a sensor hooked up to some flavor of ATmega AVR microcontroller, with several pieces of software of varying quality, a USB cable, and some FTDI driver you have to locate on the internet.

Hopefully, my colleague can get the company to send us a sensor board sans chip. Or just a couple extra sensor breakout boards, that I can de-chip. Otherwise I need to find a place that can make me a few cheap breakout PCB's. Maybe even solder the dang chips to them.
Hi Rose, you are not alone. I suffer with you and hope the very best for you.

That happened about 12 years ago with very nice precision voltage chips for 2.048 V. Ordered DIP packages and got the sub miniature variant. LOL, I could find the soldering boards, to access the chip and got them. We (I) can't solder them and there was no budget left to get them soldered and so they never were. LOL (cry).

that you get soldering boards and get the chips soldered on.

I still have some older packages of the sort you are wanting, including an tube radio.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Coffee is ready!
OLChemist and subeeds like this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #45928
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 75,708.78
Quote:
Layout a breakout PCB and check out Oshpark, they can do small board runs for cheap, you'll just have to deal with their signature purple solder mask. If you have a super steady hand and an inspection microscope (like a Mantis Elite) then you can try and solder small pins onto the chip just have to keep your tongue at the right angle

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #45929
Senior Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
If you have a super steady hand and an inspection microscope (like a Mantis Elite) then you can try and solder small pins onto the chip just have to keep your tongue at the right angle

Can I borrow your hands and eyes?
Than there is hope to get the class experiment running in the end.
OLChemist likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #45930
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Something hot to drink. In a cup large enough for me to have a swim.

We're in the awkward season for our building. If the AC is left on when 2nd shift leaves (always), it's a bracing 58-62F in the offices upstairs. If we turn the heat on, the we end up with warring heat and AC systems, because the production floor, with steam heated equipment, is cooled most of the year. (The bossman doesn't like the bills that causes.) By afternoon, the sun is full on the building and it's warmed up outside and my office will be pushing 80F.

Normally, I wear heavy winter clothes to work and change to summer clothes around 10-11am. Today I was in a hurry and dressed for after lunch. I think I'm going to visit some web pages with heavy video content and get my GPU fan running hard, LOL
subeeds and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:58 AM   #45931
Senior Dancer

Well I can offer hot coffee in a bath tube. Would that cup be large enough? The swimming pool of the town is hard to get. That would be almost but not exactly Olympic dimension.

If you like, you are invited to visit my teaching room. LOL. It doesn't matter if summer or winter. When sun is shining you have all day long sun shining in your eyes. Best measured temperature ever was 97°F in winter on the floor at 7 o'clock in the morning. The switch was almost shutting down. We have underfloor heating and I am at the entry point for the heated water of the rooms. LOL, those in the last room are almost complaining it is to cold even at room temp of 82°.

The hole building is an example for many points of what not to do.
OLChemist likes this.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #45932
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Happy Easter!

Shame it will be two months 'til I'm back in the land of country ham. Because a nice slice of country ham, with some biscuits and honey or buckwheat pancakes and sorghum molasses, would hit the spot this morning. I'll have to settle for my biscuits, which suck, grits and some scrambled eggs.
subeeds likes this.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #45933
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
My fifteen year old cat is either fighting the blanket on my bed or having a fit.... Ahh yes, this would be his vivid imagination in action. He has that blanket by the "neck" and is meowing loudly, which is quite the feat with his mouth full.

LMAO, he just tried to jump off the bed with his "prey." (He's never been the sharpest knife in the kitty knife drawer.). But, the bottom of the blanket was tucked in. He had an abrupt, mid air change in course, before the blanket loosened and fell on top of him. Now he and blanket are headed into the hall.

My mom wonders why I'm always doing laundry when she calls.
subeeds, Broken Arrow and Chalako like this.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #45934
Senior Dancer

Many eggs and a good time.

I have opted for chocolate and marzipan eggs.

I share the eggs with you though sharing marzipan eggs is hard in me. LOL.
OLChemist likes this.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #45935
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Thank you.

I have a couple of lovely chocolate and key lime whip eggs I'm saving for after dinner. I'd offer one to you, but they don't fare well in transit. I do have plenty of black (licorice) jelly beans. They travel well, LOL.
Broken Arrow likes this.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #45936
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Coffee please ! The forecast is for snow today followed by freezing rain tonight ! Grrrr....

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #45937
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Mother Nature is playing an April Fool's Day prank on us !
Attached Thumbnails
aprilfoolsdaysleet.jpg  
OLChemist and Broken Arrow like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #45938
Senior Dancer

LOL, yesterday was 1st April. What do you expect by that day?

He is always playing fool on us.

May be Iktomi tries to enhance his reach to the people whom he can trick by disguising as April's fool day?

Lots of hot coffee is ready. Seems as if a really have to ask the mayor to lease the pool as coffee pot to serve all of you with coffee. ROFL.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #45939
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chalako is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 589.30
Quote:
My fifteen year old cat is either fighting the blanket on my bed or having a fit.... Ahh yes, this would be his vivid imagination in action. He has that blanket by the "neck" and is meowing loudly, which is quite the feat with his mouth full.

LMAO, he just tried to jump off the bed with his "prey." (He's never been the sharpest knife in the kitty knife drawer.). But, the bottom of the blanket was tucked in. He had an abrupt, mid air change in course, before the blanket loosened and fell on top of him. Now he and blanket are headed into the hall.

My mom wonders why I'm always doing laundry when she calls.
I would love to see your cat in action.LOL
Chalako is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #45940
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chalako is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 589.30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
LOL, yesterday was 1st April. What do you expect by that day?

He is always playing fool on us.

May be Iktomi tries to enhance his reach to the people whom he can trick by disguising as April's fool day?

Lots of hot coffee is ready. Seems as if a really have to ask the mayor to lease the pool as coffee pot to serve all of you with coffee. ROFL.
It will be a problem to keep the coffee hot in a swimmingpool.
Chalako is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links