Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9762Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Redhorse cafe Redhorse cafe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #46201
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,001.61
Savings: 0.00
When I was an undergrad, I lived in a dorm with one 20A circuit for every five dorm rooms and 11 women. (Built before blow dryers, hot air popcorn poppers, dorm fridges and affordable electric typewriters.) The first floor kitchen had a small stove with 4 smoke generating electric burners and a 2 cu. ft oven with two settings, off and self-clean. No microwave, one fridge/penicillin incubator for 143 people.

Cooking appliances were strictly forbidden; a policy enforced by raids, enacted by a dorm mom who had missed her calling as Dog the Bounty Hunter's side kick. She'd impound electric tea kettles, coffee makers, immersion heaters, hot plates, crockpots, popcorn poppers every time the breaker tripped. (If you were smart, you cooked in the typing carrels. They had new wiring on a separate breaker.)

The cafeteria food was a special kind of awful. So everyone lived on cereal, peanut butter, beer and pizza. You may never have noticed this, but the face of an iron is about the same shape and size as a piece of cold pizza.

I recommend cotton, no steam and no starch.
subeeds and Toolbox like this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2018, 02:08 AM   #46202
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,110.37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
We have someone who likes to cook Ellio's Pizza in the toaster oven, which has a distinct smell to begin with, but they like to cook it until the cheese burns and I'm assuming the crusts vaporizes BUT it stinks to high heaven!
Yuck! Sometimes in the morning, guests who come down for the continental breakfast will burn their toast or bagel.It comes out of the toaster black as tar. Burning bread smell kills me. I mean, why not just go after it with a blow torch??
OLChemist likes this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #46203
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 81,220.91
I think the worst offender of the smelly cooking goes to the one person in our office who went on a microwave popcorn binge for a few months and BURNED it every time!
OLChemist likes this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #46204
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
To my culturally insensitive nose, the worse smelling office mate/cubical drone food would be a tie between the dufǔrǔ (fermented tofu) one colleague put on steamed buns or the natto (fermented soybeans) that a superfood vegan loon would eat for breakfast. Both had a base odor of soybeans meets blue cheese aging in a high school jock's gym shoe... But some brands of the dufǔrǔ would add a dash of indole derivatives to the collection of volatiles outgassing.

For those who haven't done/been around many organic chemistry labs, indole is one compound that gives human feces their distinctive smell. I did some photophysics work with indole in grad school. The bottle was labeled "Toxic Stench!" The first time my colleague ate the dufǔrǔ seasoned buns at work, I spent 10 mins searching my lab for a leak in the gas flow cells and vacuum system attached to the flask of indole, before homing in his cubical in our office.

Indole - feces and flowers

The dufǔrǔ eating colleague was with Toolbox about the burnt popcorn smell. He said it smelled like we were eating dead bodies.

Labs can dole out single note ugly smells that outrank anything that comes from a lunch box. I've been one building over from a lab venting pentane-1,5-diamine (cadaverine) up the hood; the entire quad smelled like a decomposing body. A whiff of butanoic acid (rotten butter smell) or hexanoic acid (dirty goat smell) is pretty memorable.

Now that I've cleared the cafe....

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-03-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #46205
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,711.90
is enough space for us and much more sense for tasty Food.
OLChemist likes this.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #46206
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Atole, with either carne adovada or pecans and dried cherries on top, and some brisk iced tea, please. I could go savory or sweet this morning.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #46207
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 61,610.99
Savings: 1.00
Just some coffee and a cinnamon roll ! Overdid it just a bit yesterday...takin it easy today.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #46208
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I see you're cheering people up with you uncanny ability to identify NDN chiefs, LOL.
wardancer likes this.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #46209
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes , well only real ndns can spot and identify real chefs! I'm actually shocked that you didn't already have his answer ! LMAO
subeeds likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 08-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: LOL
Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #46210
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
All you have to do is consult your 4 foot crystal encrusted dream catcher made with authentic plastic beads and colorful sacred yarn !
OLChemist likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #46211
small bead addict

subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Yes , well only real ndns can spot and identify real chefs! I'm actually shocked that you didn't already have his answer ! LMAO
I had the answer. It's Chief Lockheed. LOL! FYI, my dream catcher doesn't have crystals-it has sparkly silver glitter with the genuine sacred plastic beads.
OLChemist likes this.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #46212
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
An aspirin and an adult beverage.

I've been dancing with commercial optical design software all day. I have real trouble trusting it, when I can tell rays hitting a window are refracting the wrong direction. But, my homemade design software can't model the customers source well... adequately... at all...

I'd rather try to identify painted Indians on the sides of planes. Bring on Chief Beechcraft.
wardancer and subeeds like this.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #46213
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 81,220.91
Give me something with lots of caffeine in it! Work is slow, typical summer at a large research university.

Going to watch my friends playing box lax tonight and maybe enjoy some adult beverages watching them beat each other up and sweat like heck because of this excessive heat and humidity.
subeeds likes this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #46214

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 13,204.69
err...heat like never before. Unusual and desert dry before, now rain forest humidity. Some lakes dried out. Water level in rivers sinking dramatically but toward the end of the week it's supposed to be a little cooler. Still no rain since weeks and on top of it I thought I did not hear right a couple of days ago I heard a howling and my first thought: Sounds like a wolf. Naw... not here. In the news today I got to know that a wolf has gotten himself a domestic animal for dinner. In my vicinity. They said, he's supposed to be one of a wolf pack which came from further up north. I really am astonished so close to a city and it was an interesting experience to hear one howl in real not just on TV if ever.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #46215
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I feel your pain. We haven't had rain that has fallen over the entire county since May. The northern and central parts of the state are bone dry and fire ripe. According to the national drought monitor, we've sunk into "extreme drought."

*Rose gives up on trying to clean the scratches off her readers. She's dropped 'em one time too many. Time to hit the drug store.*

I love my mom. But since she's hit 85 and dad's passed, her problem solving skills have departed. The flapper in the upstairs toilet has worn out. She's been getting stood up by her plumber since June and now the toilet is running continuously. (She can't turn the valve with her one hand. Since it hasn't been turned since the Nixon administration, it's probably just as well. I suspect the stem packing would tear up and start leaking if it was turned.)

Last night she calls me to complain that I had just replaced the flapper. I fixed that toilet while I was teaching in VA -- in 1995! Needless to say this made me worry that she was losing it. So, I asked her when that was.

"Christmas '95," she says. "It's practically brand new."

"How old is it, mom?"

"Twenty three years old."

Now, I think this is a pretty good run for a <$10 piece of molded rubber that gets flexed a dozen or more times a day.

"Cheap imported Chinese junk," she announces.

Well, the plumber didn't show again today. She calls me at work, to tell me all about not being able to sleep because of the running water. First, I suggest she call another plumber. I get 15 mins about how this plumber lives in the neighborhood and has just had a run of bad luck. She wants me to tell her how to fix it.

The toilet is in PA and I'm in TX. This makes it even more fun. Also, my mom calls all toilet parts thingamabobs and hoochie-jiggers. Her descriptions make me think she's looking into the piano. After 25 mins of pointless back and forth, I run over to the injection molding building, which has the only toilet in the plant with a tank. I take a picture of the guts, draw circles and arrows explaining how to force the valve shut, and text it to her. She texts to tell me her toilet looks different. I have her text me a pic her toilet. More circles and arrows. She still can't figure it out. I try to walk her through several other ways to fix the problem. No luck.

At the 1.5 hour point, I get in touch with her local Big Chain Plumbing Company franchise, give the guy my credit card number and tell him to phone her to arrange an appointment. Then I call her. She tells me she's not going to let a strange plumber into the house. I can't get her to call a neighbor and ask them to wait with her while the guy works. She'll just sit up all night. (Did I fail to mention it's a four bedroom house, with three empty bedrooms?)

I'm just home after a 12+ hour day, since I had to stay late to finish my project because I spent 2.5 hours of my day photographing toilet innards, when the phone rang. Guess what mom wanted to talk about....
Toolbox likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-08-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 08-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #46216
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
The cold front is just over the Red River. A storm is bearing down on the town to the west of us and another to the east. Looks like we're going to get nothing.
subeeds likes this.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 AM   #46217
small bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
err...heat like never before. Unusual and desert dry before, now rain forest humidity. Some lakes dried out. Water level in rivers sinking dramatically but toward the end of the week it's supposed to be a little cooler. Still no rain since weeks and on top of it I thought I did not hear right a couple of days ago I heard a howling and my first thought: Sounds like a wolf. Naw... not here. In the news today I got to know that a wolf has gotten himself a domestic animal for dinner. In my vicinity. They said, he's supposed to be one of a wolf pack which came from further up north. I really am astonished so close to a city and it was an interesting experience to hear one howl in real not just on TV if ever.
Maybe their food source has moved lower looking for cooler air and a steady water source.

OLChemist, your mom might not be able to fix a toilet, but she can text. I consider that an accomplishment for an 85 yr. old.

It's hot and humid here, too. Our feel like temp has been 100+ for the last few days. I was so used to getting stormed on everyday for the last couple of months and the air getting cooled off. It hasn't rained in a few days, and I miss it. LOL! We've still got a couple of rivers under flood warnings, but those will be lifted soon. Having been through a couple of bad fire seasons here, I"ll take too much water over not enough any day.
OLChemist likes this.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #46218
small bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Just some coffee and a cinnamon roll ! Overdid it just a bit yesterday...takin it easy today.
I hope you are up for some ice cream now. I brought a new favorite flavor. It's made by Blue Bunny and it's called Chocopolitan. Light, dark and white chocolate and it's YUMMY! Also, after you eat it all, you can save the plastic container to make ice with. We had some in our freezer and when Irma knocked out the power last year, those containers lasted 5 days with ice, and still had a large chunk of ice left inside when the power came back on.
OLChemist and Toolbox like this.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:15 AM   #46219

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 13,204.69
Free iced coffee being served today. Looks like the heat and fire goes around the globe like a belt. I've seen a grassy patch this morning on my way to the stores, last time I have seen it about 2 weeks ago, it was all green and lush and now there was all yellow dried out hay. About the wolf, generally the state is pleased by those animals comming back to our country as it was supposed be extinct. Now the fairy tale Little red rinding hood becomes it meaning again in my country.
subeeds and Toolbox like this.

Last edited by Spiritflight; 08-12-2018 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: Extinct was the word not destinct.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #46220
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
I'll have hot coffee. Mom used to drink iced coffee , but I never developed a taste for it. Rained here a couple days ago , a cool front came through keeping the temps in the low 80s. Chance of a shower this afternoon , but it's a slight one. Should start warming back up as the week goes on. Get my stints out tomorrow , and looking forward to not hurting ! LOL Onward to the day !
subeeds likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links