Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9679Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Redhorse cafe Redhorse cafe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #46421
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 58,632.27
Savings: 0.00
It looks like the children here will be wailing and gnashing their teeth on Halloween. Rain is forecast for Weds evening. Maybe this year the 346 miniature candy bars, alleged to be in those two huge bags, will make it until 9pm. (Maybe I'll get to eat a few of the Heath bars.)

I'm getting old and crotchety. I've started to miss the old days, when only the really brave would trick or treat in my neighborhood. One bag of Snickers minis and you were set for the four teenagers, whose costumes consisted of a pillowcase for candy, and the half a dozen drunken adults who'd stagger to your door. You could read a book or watch TV. Now, if I don't want to let in the entire Texas mosquito air force opening the door ever 30secs, I have to sit on the porch with a bucket. We've reached the point where people travel to our neighborhood to trick or treat.
subeeds likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #46422
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 78,605.39
We never get trick-or-treaters here so we just wait until the day after and buy up a decent stock of candy that has gone on clearance. Candy that is not Halloween themed becomes Christmas stocking stuffers.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #46423
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,773.66
I can't believe it's November already. I'll be glad when the elections are over. I a so tired of all the mud slinging and negativity.

All that rain that OLC got is supposed to be hitting us tomorrow, bringing in some rather chilly weather. Guess a stormy afternoon will be good for packing up the summer clothes and breaking out the cold weather gear. That will probably cause a record breaking heat wave, but I've been putting it off. LOL!
OLChemist likes this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #46424
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chalako is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,060.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
It looks like the children here will be wailing and gnashing their teeth on Halloween. Rain is forecast for Weds evening. Maybe this year the 346 miniature candy bars, alleged to be in those two huge bags, will make it until 9pm. (Maybe I'll get to eat a few of the Heath bars.)

I'm getting old and crotchety. I've started to miss the old days, when only the really brave would trick or treat in my neighborhood. One bag of Snickers minis and you were set for the four teenagers, whose costumes consisted of a pillowcase for candy, and the half a dozen drunken adults who'd stagger to your door. You could read a book or watch TV. Now, if I don't want to let in the entire Texas mosquito air force opening the door ever 30secs, I have to sit on the porch with a bucket. We've reached the point where people travel to our neighborhood to trick or treat.
Overhere when the kids come knocking on your door, it's for candy or money.But they don't do it a lot on Halloween.
Chalako is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #46425

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 12,117.12
Where is everyone? You been dissapeared during Halloween? Who kindnapped you? Anyway I sent these guys

to look for you, you know the usual "gang" residing here in RHC.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #46426
Tiny Tot Dancer

ches is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 885.04
How are you doing?
ches is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #46427
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,703.74
Quite well after after doing a first course in forging.

I went for forging a knife. Next time I go for forging at least one spearhead.

My arms and back are hurt.

OLChemist likes this.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #46428
Tiny Tot Dancer

Smile How are you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
Where is everyone? You been dissapeared during Halloween? Who kindnapped you? Anyway I sent these guys

to look for you, you know the usual "gang" residing here in RHC.
How are you, spiritflight?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #46429
Tiny Tot Dancer

Smile Forging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
Quite well after after doing a first course in forging.

I went for forging a knife. Next time I go for forging at least one spearhead.

My arms and back are hurt.

That is exciting. I hope you keep us updated. Two saturdays ago pow wow at red clay state park, Cleveland, tenn . They always gave a dirge and blacksmith there at a log recreated shop making things for sale.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #46430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
How are you, spiritflight?
I am good, thanks for asking and how are you?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #46431
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thumbs up Doing fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
I am good, thanks for asking and how are you?
Pow wow this Saturday Dayton, tennessee so I will be fine
Spiritflight likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #46432
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
@ches

[IMG][/IMG]

that is the uncompleted knife. Just forged and the blade is hardened but not sharp yet.

It is twice the size of the piece found of the time period after 1400. In this way, it fits better my hand.

For my first forged piece, I think it's ok.
OLChemist likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #46433
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
@Broken Arrow I feel your pain - literally. This summer, my class at Arrowmont was forging for jewelry. Since silver is brittle above red hot, it was cold forging. I was only wielding a 1/2kg hammer. But, by Wednesday, my arm was killing me.

It's pretty in mountains 'round that time. I see there a video up from Red Clay. It didn't look like the leaves had changed yet.

Intertribal Red Clay 2018

Someday, I'll figure out why every TN powwow seems to feature one guy dancing with a big gnarly stick. Back when I was an undergrad, one of my friends -- a young woman with regrettable taste in men -- picked up a guy at a local powwow. He carved and sold walking sticks, with a lot of -- uh -- character. He wasn't 30, but he had only enough teeth to chew on one side and lived it a dilapidated 1964 VW camperbus. My friend said he was what you'd get if a hippie and carney had a love child. If the guys who dance with 'em are as odd as the guys who make 'em, wow.
Broken Arrow likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 11-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Couldn't figure out what tense you use for discussing an event that hadn't yet happened in a video you just watched.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #46434
Signal Corps

Quote:
@Broken Arrow I feel your pain - literally. This summer, my class at Arrowmont was forging for jewelry. Since silver is brittle above red hot, it was cold forging. I was only wielding a 1/2kg hammer. But, by Wednesday, my arm was killing me.
We had 2 kg hammers and the fire with forging coal is really hot. You can easy burn your fingers. Have avoided that luckily.

Oh weh, cold forging. There is a course in cold forging steel helmets. Helmet in Viking style for example. That is worse than forging.

In making earrings, silver work might be useful for own designs.

I don't have enough time for what I am interested in. Sigh, better not adding silver forging.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #46435
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I've never felt the need to hammer on hot iron. I've been to a couple art/craft schools with programs. It's fun to watch. But, just watch.

Here's a picture from the Penland School of Crafts blog. "Gotta love a gal with an anvil." Or three gals in this case.

Broken Arrow likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #46436
Signal Corps

It was very interesting, but I will not make a living out of. LOL, second time next year November after forging hopefully two speraheads, I am satisfied with hammering on hot iron.

LOL, you can really burn iron in the fire. Red, yellow white and than burning of.

It's like in the old chemist lessons at school when the teacher burned iron filings to demonstrate, that iron can burn.

The girls are forging a sword, it seems.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #46437
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Fe + O2 + ∆ --> Fe2O3 (You can balance that yourself.)

You always get one beginning silver smithing student who sets their steel wool on fire.
Broken Arrow likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #46438
Signal Corps

Quote:
Fe + O2 + ∆ --> Fe2O3 (You can balance that yourself.)

You always get one beginning silver smithing student who sets their steel wool on fire.

Fe + O2 + ∆ --> Fe2O3 a reminder of school chemistry. That were good hours at school because we had a very good teacher.

LOL, at school fest the fire fighters appeared because his experiment resulted in a mushroom cloud above the school yard reaching up to 150 meters or so.

His teaching made chemistry during first semester for electrical engineers at university an easy going.
Spiritflight likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 AM   #46439

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
Pow wow this Saturday Dayton, tennessee so I will be fine
We don't get any Powwows in Germany, but if, it's mainly germans which seem to like dressing up like ndn's making their own regalia. Pretending native american culture. Some germans also like to group and dress up like medival people and play medival games. Nothing for me those kind of gatherings. But long time ago when I was at a couple of real Powwows in America I felt good. Let us know about how it went for you in Dayton.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #46440
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ich habe zwei yahren Deutsche gelernt aber Ich habe alles vergessen.
Sponsored Links