Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree11038Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Redhorse cafe Redhorse cafe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #47141
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
I#ll pray for them and well, light more candles.

Father is going as good as could go. No tumor found but at his age, every time it can happen that he will go.

@Toolbox, that is what happens if your staff and paid exempt. Something which roughly translates to "Leitender Angestellter" und "übertarifliches Gehalt".

Sounds familar to where I once worked. LOL, continous > 60 hours overtime per month.

Despite all bad news, a Happy New Year to everyone. Live goes on and the earth turns around another day.
Thank you! Also, glad to hear that they found no tumor, the wait on test results are nerve racking.

The other thing I didn't mention about being salary exempt pro staff at a university is I only get paid once per month and on the last normal working day of the month. It's apparently standard practice. Great way to learn fiscal responsibility and budgeting. This month I got paid on the 20th and then I won't get paid again until the Friday the 31st of January. My wife still gets paid every other week so I pay all of the bills up front and then she gives me money every other week.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #47142
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,568.83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
The other thing I didn't mention about being salary exempt pro staff at a university is I only get paid once per month and on the last normal working day of the month.
Sounds like your university is copying the German system. Once per week pay I remember back in the early sixties when father got his payment in a brown paper bag. In the late sixties when the "normal" worker got a bank account, this was changed into one monthly paymaent at the last working day of the month.

LOL, I got the December payment today. Civil Servants get their payment in advance of the month. A large field for exchanging views on the differences on both sides of the pond. LOL and we have the national differences in the systems as surplus; especially taxes.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #47143
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 77,570.80
I'm taking advantage of the fact that all of tech staff is away to do continuing education. I'm working through some tutorials on Grand Central Dispatch and Apple's other threading API's. The past 3-4 OS upgrades have all resulted in broken code. IT pushes the upgrade and boom, pieces of the user interface fail to update properly when tasks executing on other threads pass data back to the main thread. I guess I'm going to actually have to quit trying to handle threading by the seat of my pants.

The funny part is that the tutorials mostly use image downloads from the author's website as the slow tasks to dispatch to other threads. However, with the holidays the author's website is experiencing low traffic and I'm the extent of network traffic at work. The downloads are so fast that the threaded code doesn't execute with any perceptible difference from the unthreaded, LOL. I just dug up a really old, slow ethernet switch; we'll see if that helps.

Hey, @Toolbox or @Broken Arrow do you gentlemen know anything about C's libdispatch? I need to pick your brains, but I'm not sure I want to bore everyone to death on the way, LOL.
subeeds likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #47144
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post

Hey, @Toolbox or @Broken Arrow do you gentlemen know anything about C's libdispatch? I need to pick your braios ins, but I'm not sure I want to bore everyone to death on the way, LOL.
I am sorry to answer no but I can ask D and K what they know about lipdispatch or if we have somebody working with libdispatch. I can't ask before 9th January 2020. First day when all are back to work.
OLChemist likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 12-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #47145
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
Quote:
Hey, @Toolbox or @Broken Arrow do you gentlemen know anything about C's libdispatch? I need to pick your brains, but I'm not sure I want to bore everyone to death on the way, LOL.
I haven't typed a line of code in a long long time, most of what I do now is just control and conditional logic within Extron's (ProAV and control system manufacturer) pro control software package.
OLChemist likes this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #47146
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the try gentlemen. :)

I'm trying to understand how using a dispatch barrier on a write op prevents a race condition. It seems to me like converting the queue from concurrent to serial for the write, still means the paused threads can be using a stale value once concurrency is restored. But, heck I'm a chemist. What do I know about threads, processor clock cycles, etc, LOL.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #47147
Signal Corps

Quote:
But, heck I'm a chemist. What do I know about threads, processor clock cycles, etc, LOL.
I believe, you are a general genius. :):):)

Ooch, sounds like you need a programmer for IOS with applications best on assembler or even better inline machine language (prefarable in hex code) for C combined low level functions.
subeeds likes this.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #47148
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Don't even say assembly language to me. And any form of programming requiring a hex editor is evil, LOL.

I've been hitting the programming blogs this afternoon. I'm an old curmudgeon. I have socks that are older than these guys. I have a little trouble taking someone seriously when I can smell the Clearasil over the internet, LOL.

I will say teenage computer geekdom has advanced considerably, since my days hanging out in the basement with my boyfriend and a TRS-80, writing computer games in Basic. Mind you the games still do the same things. The graphics have just gotten much better, LOL.
subeeds likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #47149
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,343.01
Savings: 1.00
I'll say Happy New Year now cause we'll be sleeping early and I'll be in the woods in the morning ! Kansas Extended season for antlerless deer is the next 5 days. With any luck I'll have 2 more in the freezer by weeks end ! I hope everyone has a safe and good new year !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #47150
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,575.88
Savings: 1.00
Speaking of games I've become addicted to online poker. Thats where I can go beastmode and kick tail

I know Im not gon make it to midnite. Its been a few years since I hit up the annual new years powwow we have here
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #47151
Old Dancer

ches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,703.96
Trs 80 sounds awful familiar. I had a commodore 64 and 128 and the little trs 100 that the news people would carry to remote places to do stories and send them to editor by phone line
subeeds and Broken Arrow like this.
ches is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #47152
Old Dancer

ches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond reputeches has a reputation beyond repute
I never wrote game programs
Old 01-01-2020, 02:35 AM   #47153
Signal Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
Trs 80 sounds awful familiar. I had a commodore 64 and 128 and the little trs 100 that the news people would carry to remote places to do stories and send them to editor by phone line
My first Computer was a C 64 and there have been a good number of games to play with that little digital machine. That is a very long time ago.
OLChemist likes this.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 01-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #47154
Junior Dancer

Chalako is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 2,157.27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I'll say Happy New Year now cause we'll be sleeping early and I'll be in the woods in the morning ! Kansas Extended season for antlerless deer is the next 5 days. With any luck I'll have 2 more in the freezer by weeks end ! I hope everyone has a safe and good new year !
I also like to wish everybody a very good 2020.
OLChemist likes this.
Chalako is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #47155
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Venison and wild rice

1 c dried wild rice;
4 c water or stock;
1/2 tsp salt;

1 lb ground venison;
2 c baby portabello mushrooms, sliced;
1 med onion, diced;
2 Tbsp butter;
1 tsp dried sage;
1/2 tsp marjoram;
1/2 tsp thyme;
1/2 tsp rosemary;
salt;
black pepper;
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese.

Bring the stock and rice to a boil. Add the salt, cover and turn down to a bare simmer. Cook the rice until tender, roughly 45 mins. Drain any excess liquid. (This is for cultivated wild rice. Parched and treaded, wild gathered rice cooks differently.)

In a large skillet over med heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Salt to taste. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the venison and herbs. When the venison is cooked add the mushrooms and rice. Mix. Salt and pepper to taste. (Under salt since the parmesan is salty.). Top with cheese.

This is killer with roasted acorn squash.
subeeds likes this.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #47156
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,960.92
I appreciate the prayers, everybody. Still not back at work. I'm trying to get a follow up appointment with a cardiologist. It's not easy when you are too poor for ACA and have to do self pay. I'll get there eventually. I'll check back in when I can.
OLChemist and Toolbox like this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #47157
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Good to hear from you subs. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #47158
Old Dancer

Good to hear from you. Keep us informed.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #47159
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Kansas Extended season for antlerless deer is the next 5 days. With any luck I'll have 2 more in the freezer by weeks end !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
I never wrote game programs

I was scrolling to the bottom of the page and these two lines got blended together in my head. I started visualizing BA and WD writing a program for shooting game....

I think my brain has melted while trying to fix the threading problem in my program.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:59 AM   #47160
Signal Corps

Perhaps ice bags on the head can cool down the brain enough to prevent further melt down.
wardancer and OLChemist like this.
Sponsored Links