Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree97Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Is Redskins a derogatory term? Is Redskins a derogatory term?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #81
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Sum?

This is going nowhere.
agreed.......and who is surprised by 4&5 when we are less than 1% of the population
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #82
Pow Wow Visitor

Dalaa Bacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 894.26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Is the term Redskin derogatory to you?

I have read two polls. One said only 10% of Natives think it is derogatory. Another poll says a majority of Natives think it is derogatory.

It is now being dissected in the courts, the media and around the cooler.

What is your take? Is it or isn't it a derogatory and demeaning term?
Short Answer is NO.

I am of the opinion that the Native American Mascot deserves a place in the Americana we call Sports. Americans are very much into sports it is a way of life, A religion if you ask some. The Notion that a team and fan base would name their team something that they hated or wanted to mock or make fun of is absolutely crazy. Since the introduction of the Native American Mascot to Sports the interest in Native American Culture has sharply risen. So Native American Mascots are not bad in my opinion.

What is a Mascot? Greg Deal went on a show called Totally Biased and likened a Mascot to that of a Clown or Jester. I read a comment on Think progress where a woman likened The Redskin to an Animal Stating that " Most Sports teams are Named after Animals...." She said that was why the Native Mascot was chosen cause it was though of as an Animal... Sad... I asked WHY is it ONLY the Native American Mascot that is the Clown, or Jester or Animal and not other mascots that represent people groups like Cow Boys, Packers, 49'ers Texans, Patriots.... Why is no one saying that these groups are being disrespected and comparing them to Animals and Clowns???

I get the Feeling that people don't want to see the Native American People represented in the Sports world. I get the feeling that people are less offended by the name and more offended by the Native American....

There are a lot of claims of the origin of the word Redskin and claims of negative history behind the word. Claims of Scalp bounties and Phips Proclamations.... Sounds all official, but lacks the documentation and what is out there is ambiguous at best.
There are a few things I take issue with this argument that REDSKIN = BLOODY SCALP... It was said that Scalp offended people back in the day so they substituted the word Scalp for REDSKIN...
Honestly, just doesn't make sense. Remember back in the day the News papers did not have computers and laser printers... People have to build stamps for the PRESS ( this is where the Press term came from) It took time to print things so the less letters the better so swapping SCALP at 5 letters for REDSKINS at 8 letters doesn't sit with me. Point # 2 Scalp offended people but the graphic image of a bloody (RED) skin didn't?? Okay on one hand people are saying that the "RED" in RED Skin refers to skin color, but on the same token they are saying that it is bloody scalps..So which is it?

So they have this SINGLE news paper article that talks about paying 200 dollars for dead Indians and sending Redskins to purgatory... I am sure you all have seen this. #1 the Authenticity of this document is questionable at best, but Based on what I know about history and the Phips Proclamation I am willing to concede that it is "representative" of something that might have been published back then.
So that article basically uses the Term INDIAN and REDSKIN as synonyms. i.e. Dead Indian,,, and sending Redskin to purgatory.... I mean they honestly don't think they were sending scalps to purgatory right?

This brings me to my next point. As Native Americans we all know the history and the horror stories like Wounded Knee and the Trail of Tears so we know there was a time in this country that the United States declared WAR on out people. With war comes hatred and ignorance. YES we were persecuted and hated and discriminated against. We were called everything from Savage, INDIAN, REDSKIN, even our own Tribal Names like APACHE, CROW, PAWNEE, etc etc.... These are all words that have been used against us at one time or another. There were bounties for Various People and Various Tribes so there was talk about Dead Apache and Sending Apache to hell too does that make The word Apache a Racial Slur?

So they liken the word Redskin to that of the infamous "N-word" Most people who make this claim have more than likely never been called the n-word. Key difference is that Redskin is a word that was translated from tribal language a word that this particular tribe called Natives while the n-word was created by poorly educated,ignorant white southerners who hated blacks. This word has and always will have negative connotations and hatred. It is known as the most offensive word in the English Language. Completely on a different page than Redskin.
Then you have the argument that people use saying the word is in the Dictionary as a racial slur... I am sure you can find the words Gay and Faggot in the dictionary too... Depending on the Context they mean Cheerful and a bundle of twigs.... Redskin is no different from any other word used in the wring context it can be deemed offensive.
Hateful and ignorant people have taken these words and many other and have perverted theme.

I choose not to surrender to hate. I will not allow hateful people and the ignorant to take from me.

and Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Thank you
Dalaa Bacho is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #83
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 67,239.98
Yes, if you use it in a derogatory fashion. I'm not MalcolmX about it either, nor do I maintain any inclination to be MLK jr about it. In other words, say all you want, but at the end of the day if it comes down to potential harm of me or my loved ones I am under no obligations of martyrdom.

But political correctness?

I have met some straight up evil folk hiding behind masquerades of political correct jargon.

Show me some correct politics, then maybe politics will deserve to hang the word 'correct' behind it's name.
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links