Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Rez gangsters.......are you for real? Rez gangsters.......are you for real?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just think trees, lakes, rolling hills n fresh air.
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Rez gangsters.......are you for real?

Anyone ever dealt with any young kids, so called gangsters on the rez? Over the weekend, my sister was attacked by some back home. She was minding her own business driving down the road and about 9 of them stopped traffic and harrased my sis and her kids, a 6 year old and 4 year old. They keyed her car and kicked the body of her vehicle. The same night they attacked a 60 year old man and keyed his brand new vehicle. "Some people's kids!" All of them were caught, but I think there is a thin line these punks cross by attacking mothers and old folks. I don't know what this world is coming to when we can't control our kids. They all wore black clothing, had tattoos on their arms with eagle feathers, displaying "native pride" WTF! What's so native about attacking innocent people and depicting eagle feathers as an emblem to their terror on common folks. We were in the middle of a very important ceremony and had to deal with these punks attacking our family. It was quite funny too, the entire community had lawn chairs set up on their front yards watching the rez cops chased kids in and out of alley ways! LOL! I just had to share this story, cuz it was funny as hell and it was just wrong.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Savings: 1.00
ive heard about them on rezzes and we kinda have some in the city too..not gangs but youth running around in packs..beating and killing people... its sad...we need a scared straight or ..bootcamp..or something... like native guys and women really talking to them... youth homes with good people working in them... spiritual camps?.. they are so brainwashed from tv..video games...i tried to talk to these smartassed youths on the bus one night and one opend his jacket and showed me his gun..i shut up..my kids need a mom...dont know if it was real or not..yeah its a problem all over..
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Bunch of kids did that to my ex-brother-in-law last year. 12 kids swarmed him. He got in a few good shots though. More than half of them were complexion challenged kids partying on our rez with some of our kids. On the one hand it was wrong but on the other hand it was my sister's ex and he's a a**hole. I felt bad for my nieces and nephews though. We were talking when we were kids if there was a dispute we used to fight right in the middle of the party, get it over with and then go back to drinking. No long lasting hard feelings over the incident. Nowadays, kids use bats, chains, knives and other s**t. Plus now even if you manage to beat up 4-12 kids they start looking for you or your family down the road for a couple of years. I think you should just turn fiddy and his buds lose.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
ya that stuff is all over...my lil bro(15) is a Crip or whatever and it isnt just native kids here either..

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle of the sky
ive heard about them on rezzes and we kinda have some in the city too..not gangs but youth running around in packs..beating and killing people... its sad...we need a scared straight or ..bootcamp..or something... like native guys and women really talking to them... youth homes with good people working in them... spiritual camps?.. they are so brainwashed from tv..video games...i tried to talk to these smartassed youths on the bus one night and one opend his jacket and showed me his gun..i shut up..my kids need a mom...dont know if it was real or not..yeah its a problem all over..

I do presentations with some inmates from a prison where I work and it usually lasts about 4 hours. All the kids ask lots of questions and it is quite beneficial. Its not really a scared straight kind of forum. I have been involved with those and they don't really work. Most of the people I do the presentations with are Aboriginal men who are serving life sentences. They started doing them and then they invited me because of my length of time doing this work and I am an Aboriginal person. NDN, whatever you want to use. Usually it is really effective. Once though one of the youth called an inmate a "b***h". I was thinking the inmate was going to beat the kid down. The guy told the youth that if he called him that in jail, they would have a beef and the youth would have either been beaten to a pulp or killed. The youth had this terrified look in his eyes because the inmate was really struggling to remain in control and not get real angry. The inmate said if this had happened a couple of years ago, they would have had to hall him off of the youth. Everybody was kind of scared at this point. The Native Liaison who is the individual who works with them the closest in prison said that is what it is like everyday in prison. I explained to them that the prison where these individuals live is a minimum so they have completed the majority of their programming. Its a releasing type of prison. If this had been a maximum prison, we wouldn't have let these youth anywhere near these men. I only say men because where I live only male offenders are housed in these institutions. There is a women's facility in Abbotsford. Right smack dab in between where BEGS and MOTS live.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
One girl was involved and she threatened the cops and their families, so she was arrested on felony charges. It's funny to me, cuz in that little community the kid's parents are teachers, politicians and work for the local churches. I was waiting for one of them to come up to me when I checked on my sister's house, I would've loaded a gun and used it if I had to. I would never let a person refuse my right to use a road or feel safe in my own community. Fiddy wasn't there, but I'm sure they would've backed off. I later found out that it's been going on for a year now. People would be driving on a secluded road and get surrounded by these so called gangs and robbed. I'll be sending my sisters pepper spray for Christmas this year.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 AM   #7
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Our Rez is small and smack dab inbetween cities...there is'nt a gang on the rez, but some of the kids that were raised in buffalo and Niagara formed a gang and keep coming around the rez trying to "recruit" people. They are constantly refused and tried to force a few but... well let's just say they were looked after by the spirits and turned tail and left quickly.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said in another forum yesterday, the worst thing a community can do is label gangs as wannabes. That just makes them that much more determined to become the real thing. They work at it harder. They try to take it to the next level. What might have started as simple "beat-downs" might escalate into homicides just to prove a point or prove their "hardness". Take these people seriously as its a serious problem.

Now, this is going to open up a can of worms, but hey. I think a lot of this problem can be attributed to girls. Teenage and adolescent boys are idiots. They have one thing on their minds 23 1/2 hours a day. 99% of what they do is to impress girls, and this gangster stuff is no different. If more girls would tell them they look stupid and are acting stupid, less and less of these guys would be in gangs. But, a lot of girls -especially on reservations - tend to think gangster guys are cool and they want to be with them. So, in turn, the younger guys see this phenom and want to be like their older counterparts who are getting all the girls.

Granted, this is a simplified observation, but one that could easily be addressed if more girls would tell these thugs to take a hike.

Its been mentioned that a lot of these gangsters aren't proud to be Indian. I disagree. I've seen lots of Indian gangs and thugs and they do seem to be very proud of being Indian. The problem is that they don't know how to be Indian. The pride is there...the culture is lacking.

I attended a conference awhile back on Indian gangs, and the facilitator uses culture as a way to instill a sense of belonging into the gangsters. Most join gangs for three reasons (1) money, (2) girls, and (3) to fulfill a much-needed sense of belonging. Indian gangsters are getting (2) and (3), and are working on (1).

Just my controversial thoughts.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Senior Dancer

shorty has a reputation beyond repute
shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
sighs

**jdazmum**
sorry to hear of what happend to your sister thats just awfull and their is no native pride in what they did not at all i wish parents would explain to their kids that being gangstaa really is not native
n that goes for all kids they dont need to be gangsters those white boys playing gangsta lol now thats just funny
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jdazmum**
Anyone ever dealt with any young kids, so called gangsters on the rez? Over the weekend, my sister was attacked by some back home. She was minding her own business driving down the road and about 9 of them stopped traffic and harrased my sis and her kids, a 6 year old and 4 year old. They keyed her car and kicked the body of her vehicle. The same night they attacked a 60 year old man and keyed his brand new vehicle. "Some people's kids!" All of them were caught, but I think there is a thin line these punks cross by attacking mothers and old folks. I don't know what this world is coming to when we can't control our kids. They all wore black clothing, had tattoos on their arms with eagle feathers, displaying "native pride" WTF! What's so native about attacking innocent people and depicting eagle feathers as an emblem to their terror on common folks. We were in the middle of a very important ceremony and had to deal with these punks attacking our family. It was quite funny too, the entire community had lawn chairs set up on their front yards watching the rez cops chased kids in and out of alley ways! LOL! I just had to share this story, cuz it was funny as hell and it was just wrong.

Sounds like they need a good kik in the *** by mom or dad, but i would imagine that in this situation, mom or dad aint around enuff to discipline
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
im from winnipeg and theres native gangs there eh... i live in another big citay .. i saw a show on APTN ..when one of the ex leaders was talkin bout gangs...and then other men and women were talking about what it means to be a 'warrior' in the olden day sense... ill see if i can more info... but yeah our youth are misguided... they need to know this...and girls can be just as nasty... or nastier... than guys...

Last edited by middle of the sky; 08-26-2005 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: LOL i sounded like fresh prince
Old 08-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
back in cali i hung out with some friends. these friends were in gangs. and honestly it was nice. it was nice to see OC everywhere.

for my birthday i got a stolen kenwood stero, amp, a box, two 15's, and well alot. they cleaned somebodys car. and for some reason it was all okay. there was no drama or anything. maybe theres some hollywood in everybodys mind about how things go down.

there was almost no downside to all this. from our point of view anyway. yess there was violence but in no scarface kinda way.

while me and the bros were in a club in Phx. peanut was on the floor throwing OC everywhere cause he was drunk. we were all drunk. and for a few minutes, it was the only time it kinda hit mee. these guys are stupid. the place and time wasnt right for us. the whole situation was wrong, but thx to the gurls everything turned out good.

what these stupid navajos were doing isnt the same thing. nobody i ever knew intentionially went out seeking targets. but, i will add if they ever pull that junk on the wrong people they will understand the differance between real and fake.

i aint even gonna try and say im sorry or i was stupid. and to make somebody understand is nuts.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2005, 03:43 AM   #13
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
the answer was right in my face...they are bored and key word : athletics ...i would like to see a canoe for the inner city youth here eh..maybe um... lacrosse... soccer..archery...
they dont have easy access for the youth here..you have to be rich..or live right near main n hastings...and track n field...swimming... yeah they have night hoops here..

Last edited by middle of the sky; 08-27-2005 at 03:45 AM..
Old 08-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
As police liesien I've corrdinated several scared straight programs between the police and local high schools. They work pretty good, especailly if the kids are locked in a cell for about an hour surrounded by inmates in surrounding cells. Scares the hell out of them.
When I was coaching I had a kid show up in gang colors and I confronted him. Told him either the colors went or he did, and if I heard so much as a hint that he was still trying to run with a gang I would yank his scholarship papers and tell his parents and school why. This kid was just starting to get into the whole gang idea, but had good parents and a healthy fear of both his parents and me. He just graduated from college with is Phys. Ed. degree and to this day says my standing up to him and laying down the law probably prevented him from being in that gang and messing up his life. He says out of all the adults who had seen him trying out the gang colors I was the only 1 who had the nerve to stand up and say something about it.
It takes people standing up to these punks and refuseing to tolerate their junk. Teach the kids our culture, give them some pride in themselves and kick their @$$ if you have too.
Make sure to send your sisters more than 1 bottle of peper spray, she should have 1 near her doors at home and 1 in her purse at all times and having a bottle in her car wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
Jing-a-ling Shook-shook

kiiyaaniiasdzaa is just really nice
Rez gansters

Personally I think it's said alot of our youth are turning down the wrong road and chosing this life style over our own traditions.
kiiyaaniiasdzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #16
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
I've read articles about gangs on the dineh and lakota rezzes. It's sad, but when you think of conditions there, shoot drug money goes a looooong way. We need to meet the needs of our youth instead of them finding temporary and deadly answers in the streets.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
ahhhhhh...well I am a former gang member. But in the time that I was involved was wayyyyyy before crips n bloods were as 'popular' as they are now. Anyhow, this is when I was in my early teens....So you could probably classify it as a OLD SCHOOL type of gang...LOL. Now that was shoot over 18 years ago. Since then I have been 18 years clean (drugs), mother, and peer counselor.

Well if you ask a gangster now why he/she is a gangster the top response is going to be...... It's my family. Then, maybe, the second answer is 'money', etc. It's definitely not 'status' because most gang members are the 'peasants' or 'lowlife' of that gang (usually there is a leader).
That's one of the biggest and main reasons why I turned to drugs/alcohol (to escape) and to gangs because I thought I 'belonged'. I did things the opposite to catch the 'attention' of my parents and peers. Even though it was negative, it worked.

One of the biggest things I try to really stress among parents and family siblings including schools is POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. One of the biggest things that lacks youth these days is LOVE and feelings of really belonging somewhere. Youths need to hear from their families how much they are loved, appreciated, and how proud their families are (even when they do something wrong). Too many families and parents. I believe, are focusing on the Negative aspects of life that these youths are turning away from their real families and searching for that 'sense of belonging or "love"' from these gangs.

Try telling your kids you love them everyday (and mean it), tell them you are proud of them, how strong they are, and give kudos to them, as much as you can. Even you can be mad mad mad mad.....sending them to their rooms, grounding them, or swattin them on the butt....but always always...when the air is clear...give them a hug and create a positive environment. I do this with my son, yes, he can be anwry, but he'll always know I still love him and very proud of him. And for dad's you can still love them and show them your love without being regarded as a 'sissy'. LOL. Sometimes I just say.....Heyyyy good job bud or give him a high five.....or even just a beaming smile will do it.

As someone else stated, keeping them busy. After-school programs, athletics, clubs, or even powwowing offer all types of peer positive environments.

Well thats how I work my positive counseling ethics and run my family.

So for everyone on here reading this...... Thanks... Hope it makes a difference somewhere. Try it with your own family or help someone else out. PS and I know I learn some other parenting advice on this site....and listen....some works..some doesn't...but hey...its free advice :D

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
npathstvl@gmail.com
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #18
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
I do presentations with some inmates from a prison where I work and it usually lasts about 4 hours. All the kids ask lots of questions and it is quite beneficial. Its not really a scared straight kind of forum. I have been involved with those and they don't really work. Most of the people I do the presentations with are Aboriginal men who are serving life sentences. They started doing them and then they invited me because of my length of time doing this work and I am an Aboriginal person. NDN, whatever you want to use. Usually it is really effective. Once though one of the youth called an inmate a "b***h". I was thinking the inmate was going to beat the kid down. The guy told the youth that if he called him that in jail, they would have a beef and the youth would have either been beaten to a pulp or killed. The youth had this terrified look in his eyes because the inmate was really struggling to remain in control and not get real angry. The inmate said if this had happened a couple of years ago, they would have had to hall him off of the youth. Everybody was kind of scared at this point. The Native Liaison who is the individual who works with them the closest in prison said that is what it is like everyday in prison. I explained to them that the prison where these individuals live is a minimum so they have completed the majority of their programming. Its a releasing type of prison. If this had been a maximum prison, we wouldn't have let these youth anywhere near these men. I only say men because where I live only male offenders are housed in these institutions. There is a women's facility in Abbotsford. Right smack dab in between where BEGS and MOTS live.
There are two excellent documentaries out on DVD done in the Cali prison system. One is called 'HardTime", the other "BloodSport". If you can get them use them.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #19
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
I think a lot of this problem can be attributed to girls. Teenage and adolescent boys are idiots. They have one thing on their minds 23 1/2 hours a day. 99% of what they do is to impress girls, and this gangster stuff is no different. If more girls would tell them they look stupid and are acting stupid, less and less of these guys would be in gangs...Its been mentioned that a lot of these gangsters aren't proud to be Indian. I disagree. I've seen lots of Indian gangs and thugs and they do seem to be very proud of being Indian. The problem is that they don't know how to be Indian. The pride is there...the culture is lacking.
I agree. But it isn't just the girls; it is the drugs. Kids can make more $$ selling meth than they can having a real job which requires them to have social skills and an ability to get to and from work. Having $$ gets them attention...the girl kind...and that 'brain' that is overactive 23.5 hours a day really likes that... Now, though, you've got the girls being stupid, too. To keep the 'affections' of these low lifes because they, too, lack esteem and identity, they will do 'anything' to keep these boys. That includes running drugs, prostituting themselves to get monies to feed their growing addiction and the addiction of their gangbanger boyfriends. It becomes an ugly cycle--not quite the Circle of Life our ancestors intended.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 AM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

Nezbah-good point. I notice all the boys in this group had parents who were never home and denied their children had problems. My sis, she's a prominent public person. She knew each one of them and their parents. In that little community all we see is old folks herding their cattle, sheep and horses, but I've been gone from home a long time, so I guess time has changed. I returned to find out people prefer meth instead of marijuana now. It's real sad. Parents need to show more love regardless of their child's faults. I too have a child and whether she's reprimanded for not obeying, she gets plenty of hug and kisses too. Thanks for the info Nezbah and thanks for help, returning to be a mom and counselor.