PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Right to say "it's my business"? (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/right-say-s-my-business-70571/)

Inna 04-02-2017 07:08 AM

Right to say "it's my business"?

Hi there, I've seen a movie (but I can't remember what was it) in which a character says "it's my own business" instead of "it's none of your business".

Is it right and correct to say sentences like "it's my (own) business" or "it's not your business" instead of "it's none of your business"?

Do they represent the same meaning of "it's none of your business"?

I do not mean "to mind my business"!

That's "A Million Ways to Die in the West 2014"

The time in which it is said: from 01:05:10 to 01:05:28

I believed both are the same, but I didn't find any reference to prove it

Thanks everyone

wardancer 04-02-2017 11:39 AM

That's some more of your business ! LOL

Broken Arrow 04-02-2017 12:36 PM

That is your business.

In other words,

That is your task at hand.

Grits & Beans 04-03-2017 12:40 AM

why did i come here expecting to see something that ain't none of my business? :rofl:

thread title is so misleading lol jk

eagleclanriverband 04-03-2017 01:02 AM

I'm not an English major or teacher, so I don't know if my opinion holds any academic weight...

To me, saying "it's my business" is a more polite way than telling someone else that "it's none or your business" and that "it's not your business". All convey a common sentiment.

An even more professionally polite/politically correct way of expressing the same thought would be to say "Thanks for sharing your opinion; I'll take that under advisement." LOL

Broken Arrow 04-03-2017 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleclanriverband (Post 1631662)
I'm not an English major or teacher, so I don't know if my opinion holds any academic weight...

I'am not a native English speaker nor an non native English teacher. Else we could through high flying argument against argument.:teeth_smi

Quote:

To me, saying "it's my business" is a more polite way than telling someone else that "it's none or your business" and that "it's not your business". All convey a common sentiment.

Looking up some dictionaries, including Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of current English, upon translating into my language, "It is my business" can end up as "It is my task" but depends on context. It might be in the middle of more polite expressions.

Quote:

An even more professionally polite/politically correct way of expressing the same thought would be to say "Thanks for sharing your opinion; I'll take that under advisement." LOL

"Thank you very much for sharing your opinion" with smiling and nodding might be politely enough.

TigerOwl 12-22-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inna (Post 1631631)
and correct to say sentences like "it's my (own) business" or "it's not your business" instead of "it's none of your business"?

Do they represent the same meaning of "it's none of your business"?

'It's none of your business' is fighting words.

Does 'injun' and 'Native American' have the same meaning?