Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Story for my 6 year old!? Story for my 6 year old!?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Putin' a lil jingle in it

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 180.00
Savings: 0.00
Story for my 6 year old!?

My 6 year old son asked me how the world was made this morning and said that when he goes to church with his ma-ma, grandmother, that they told him that it started from god creating it from a piece of dirt. I let him go to church with her, but at the same time i dont want him to loose his native culture. What would be a good story to tell him about the creation of the world, that a 6 year old would understand? I have heard so many variations that it's not even funny!!! Like the one about it being created on the back of a turtle, and all the others that have been told 4 generations. All and any help would be great.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

siouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond repute
siouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
The Creation Story

A long, long time ago there was nothing at all.. except Wanka Tanka, the Creator. Then He decided to make the universe. So He spoke... and the sun, the moon, and all the stars - everything in the sky - they appeared. Then He made our mother, the earth, and He put her in her place. He made everything on her - all the mountains, the deserts, the oceans, and the forests... and all the living, growing things. He made the heat and the cold, the day and the night, and the beauty of the seasons. And He made the seven directions.

Then He made every creature: The four-legs, the no-legs, and the ones with wings. He made the winds to blow and gave everything it's own song. He made all the things you can see... and all the things you cannot.

One day Yawah, He made a two-leg out of the good red dirt. He formed and shaped it's body, and breathed His own Spirit into that two-leg. And He loved him like a Father loves a son. And the Creator said that life was good!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
He sounds bright, why not explain to him that there are many creation stories you know, and if he would like to hear them all?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Am I missing something here? Mom lists her tribal identity, does Dad have any? Why aren't you telling him the stories of your specific heritage? That makes more sense to me than borrowing everyone elses.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washakie Witch
Am I missing something here? Mom lists her tribal identity, does Dad have any? Why aren't you telling him the stories of your specific heritage? That makes more sense to me than borrowing everyone elses.
Mom lists three tribal identities and christianity to boot... so which specific heritage do you mean? LOL
Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #6

nativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond repute
My son's blood father is white, but his step father, the only dad he knows is Natchez-Kusso, they call themselves Edisto cause they have lived along the Edisto River all of their lives. As for myself, I have never been taught the traditions of only one tribe. My dad is Taino, but never knew him or anything about the culture, and as for my moms side, I could probably teach him the Cherokee or Pamunkey stories but we are so much of a mix in blood that I don't want to teach him just one story. That's why I asked for input seeing there is so many people on here that can help me in this. But thanks Black Bear he is very bright maybe I'll have to do research on the internet and see what I can find. I was hoping that seeing there is so many diverse cultures on here that maybe the people here that have the same tribe/tribes would give me a story of creation seeing that I have never been given a specific story for each tribe. And thank you also Siouxper Lady!

Last edited by nativegal; 12-29-2004 at 08:57 AM..
nativegal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
It's good that you want to teach the creation story to him, but your tribes real creation story is the one to teach. It is not like getting a bunch of stories out of a book and picking a favorite.

Each tribe has their own version, but they are basically the same. Go to the elder in your tribe who holds this story and have him/her teach you.

Good luck. I'm not trying to put anything down but I'm just passing some advice that I've learned and am still learning. I learn something every day.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks Kiwehnzii! The only problem I have is not having access to an elder. I am in SC and the Taino elders are in Puerto Rico, the Cherokee elders well are in GA but I don't know where to start with them, never been in contact with them, the Pamunkey elders I have never sat down and talked to them and they are also in in VA. I'll have to contact some other people that might know. Thanks anyways all!!