PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Superstition? (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/superstition-36295/)

WhoMe 12-15-2006 03:22 PM

Superstition?

I was always told not to make fun of somebody with a handicap or it may happen to you. When I was single, I was told not to make fun of a "certain" tribe... or I would end up marrying someone from that tribe!

Dang if this didn't come true.

Ironically, my close friend who was alway down on a certain tribe... ended up marrying someone from that tribe! *L

What does your family tell you? Superstitions?

wyo_rose 12-15-2006 03:34 PM

Yep, you shouldn't make fun of ANYONE! I laughed when this girl had two towheaded kids. And I ended up with two blondies.

Also, you shouldn't play with someone's crutches or wheelchair unless you want to end up in the same situation.

ok24stacey 12-15-2006 03:41 PM

My Greatgrandma used to say to never cross the path of a snake. She wasn't afraid of them but anything snake was strictly taboo. I remember my Dad took me to see her once and she made him take of his boots before he came into her room. I think they were probably faux-snake, to be honest. :wink:

I never use being sick as an excuse to stay home from work because sure enough within a few days, I really will be sick.

Singing Otter 12-15-2006 05:09 PM

My dad would tell me a story about this old man with a clubbed foot. He said that the old man was sitting on a bench one day and these young folks came by and started poking fun at him. He looked at the girl and said "Laugh now because you'll see it again" and she kept laughing and mocking him. Sure enough her kid was born with a clubbed foot. Dad said that knew the woman it happened to....

Blackbear 12-16-2006 05:51 AM

I was told don't kill spiders or it will rain... oddly enough I heard that from both sides of my family so I don't know where that comes from...

Of course the old, don't cross your eyes or they'll stick like that...

You know my daughter's godmother used to take care of this one disabled guy and she let him handle people who made fun of him and what he told them was the truth..

"Dude, it could happen to you. You could be hunting and fishing and palling it up with your boys. Next thing you know, you've had one beer too many, are rolling your car, ending up blind, crippled and with short term memory loss." Boy did he stop people dead in their tracks with that.

Now are we just telling regular old superstitions or native superstitions? Keep in mind that I am using that word correctly and not as a means of belittling native beliefs. Cause if so, I got a few tuscarora ones for you.

Annie Fawn 12-16-2006 05:11 PM

Hi grew up in the south, I could write a book filled with them. lol 2 that stick in my mind at the moment because of the season is alway have your house clean before New Years and it will be clean all year. Whomever you spend New Years with is who you will be with in the coming year.

middle of the sky 12-16-2006 05:16 PM

dont kill a spider or itll rain...and my grandma didnt want shoes on chairs or tables...dont know why...but we dont set them down on them....

trob226 12-16-2006 07:49 PM

I've also heard you should not cross the path of a snake. Or a black cat. Don't open your eyes when kissing someone (although I forget what's supposed to happen if you do). I'm also superstitious about crossing the pathes of people dressed in red - must have been frightened by Santa Claus when I was a kid or something.

between2worlds 12-16-2006 09:12 PM

White Deer

It was considered to be very bad to kill a white deer or any other creature that was not NORMALLY white. Interestingly enough on the evening news I saw that there is apparently a herd of approximately 150 white deer (not albino - white with dark eyes) that are being protected in Seneca County, New York on a vacated military base decomissioned after the end of the Cold War.

I did a little sleuthing on the web and came across this article that explains a bit about what the TV news blurb had said about possible industrial development planned by Seneca County for this area:

SPECIAL TO THE JOURNAL NEWS
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...610250372/1006

(Original publication: October 25, 2006)

Last year we wrote about the white deer of the Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes Region of New York, a natural treasure of the state that was in jeopardy because of the undetermined future of their home, coveted by industrial developers.

The future use of the enclosed military base, which had proven to be a compound that encouraged the inbreeding of these deer that have dominant genes for white coloration, has been in question ever since the Army decided to abandon the facility. Until 2001, the depot had been used for six decades to store, supply, manufacture and destroy a variety of small arms, munitions, missiles and bombs. The depot's final war effort was in the first Desert Storm campaign. It provided nearly all the munitions used in that 1991 conflict.

Turning over its 10,500 acres to Seneca County, the military left the fate of the 250-plus white-tailed deer in the hands of that county's Industrial Development Agency.

Advocates for the deer and the wildness of the depot petitioned for controlled hunting, eco-tourism and a Cold War museum. Resolution of the future use of the depot has not been decided, but eco-tourism proponents, operating as Seneca White Deer Inc., were given permission to demonstrate the "natural attraction" of the base by allowing bus tours of the property on two weekends last weekend and this coming weekend. For insurance reasons, the visitors must stay on the bus, negating the opportunity to visit the base's pond, which teems with waterfowl and other wildlife at this time of the year.

This touring opportunity was advertised in local radio and newspaper ads, as well as on the Internet, said Dennis Money, chairman of the white deer advocacy group.

"We sold out all available seats for both weekends in 3 1/2 weeks," Money said. "Last weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, we took 900 people, each paying $10, on the 1 1/2-hour tours that left hourly from 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m."

Another indication of the appeal of the white deer attraction and its financial potential was the sale of more than $5,000 in related merchandise, including T-shirts, posters and other items. The drawing power of the white deer was strong, pulling in not only residents of the Finger Lakes Region and other parts of the state, but also visitors from Washington state, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

"Every busload saw at least 15 white deer," Money said. "We hope the folks filling the sold-out buses this weekend will be as fortunate."

Money said his organization had to turn down hundreds of people applying for the limited number of seats. He hopes this display of interest and financial impact will open similar opportunities this spring, and ultimately a positive outcome for his organization's petition for capitalizing on the natural attractions of the depot.

"The spring fawn birth should offer tour registrants the possibility of glimpsing a newborn white deer," Money said.

Until a decision is made on spring outings and the ultimate plan for the depot, Money encourages interested parties to check Seneca White Deer's Web site, www.senecawhitedeer.org, to follow its progress and learn of any possible announcement of spring tours, as well as to sign a petition of support for the organization's proposal for the depot and to learn whom to contact to express further support.

White deer strike a cord with the public, as last year's column did, drawing many e-mails from readers who had seen albino or piebald deer in the past. CBS television network has taken an interest as well.

"We don't know what the slant is going to be, but its reporters were here, taping the depot and doing interviews," Money said. "Hopefully, it will be on the Evening News this week.

"Nowhere else on this planet do white deer occur in these numbers," he said.

The white deer of New York are becoming a national treasure, one to be conserved for their welfare and ours.

2lineCarrandMorgan 12-16-2006 09:34 PM

when walking with my mother we must go around any thing in out path together if a pole or anything like that we needed to turn together or she would stop and pull me back with her

a wild bird flying in the house was not a good sign to my mom

dont slam the car door or the house door.

Joe G 12-16-2006 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=between2worlds]It was considered to be very bad to kill a white deer or any other creature that was not NORMALLY white. Interestingly enough on the evening news I saw that there is apparently a herd of approximately 150 white deer (not albino - white with dark eyes) that are being protected in Seneca County, New York on a vacated military base decomissioned after the end of the Cold War.

Thanks Patrick for posting this....working for the DOD, I had heard of this....but not to this detail....that would indeed be something to see...on a similar note, in Warren Michigan where the world headquarters of GM is located.....there was about 1 mile square of wooded undeveloped property...which was always kept in reserve for possible GM expansion. On that small area, surrounded by MILES of concrete, etc....there was a deer herd numbering about 30-40!! and there was several world class bucks among the group. The local residents who bordered that used to feed/water them. With the recent automobile business troubles, the land was sold....and despite large outcries...the deer 'moved' (yeah right!) and the land sold to developers....now it's a frikkkin strip mall....and condos prolly named 'deer run' or some such thing......arghhhhhh

between2worlds 12-16-2006 09:39 PM

Maybe we can start a new superstition - strip malls and condos are very unlucky and should be avoided at all costs!

Ginger 12-16-2006 09:56 PM

two people couldn't pass between a pole with out saying bread N butter, or don't ever step on cracks, & don't kill crickets. MOts my grandma was like that too we had to leave our shoes at the door no shoes on furniture.
my cousin was born with toxmoplasmosis & she's blind & has a mind of a 3 year old, wel when I was little we laughed when she bumped into things so my Aunt said don't you do that or you will go blind too, so she made all of us kids goto the blind center to be blind for a day we had to do everyhing blindfolded for 8 hours, then when I was 10 I had the measles & got out of bed to get a drink of water & the sun hit my eyes & I went blind, for about 6 hours.

Blackbear 12-18-2006 06:52 AM

did it ever occur to you guys that leaving your shoes at the door and not putting them on the furniture was maybe a clean thing more than a superstition? ROFLMAO! I mean, by just leaving your shoes by the front door, you save yourself the aggrevation of tracking dirt and who knows what else through the house and if you DON"T put them on the furniture, you don't get the same dirt on the furniture right?

WhoMe 12-18-2006 11:47 AM

Dang....

A comical satire could be made from these superstitions. For instance if we added elements of the stories from Black Bear, trob, wyo_rose and Anne Fawn, you could have this scenrio:

"I told you so. But you did it anyways.

You jus HAD to open your eyes while you were kissing. What did you see? There he/she was, crossing their eyes and they got stuck. Which resulted in you making two blonde kids that you had to spend the next year (and the rest of your life) with!"

*L

Anybody else have a superstition come true?

Singing Otter 12-18-2006 01:30 PM

When I was a kid I heard mom call me, I answered and when she didn't say anything I went to her. She said that she didn't call me and fussed at me not to answer like that. She told me that if I heard her voice come to her and ask if she called me first. When I said yes ma'am she then told me that the "old folks" might be calling me so I shouldn't answer. From that point on, I stopped answering.

Going on six years now, I heard an owl calling back home in the woods one night. Less than a month later my dad passed.

Dad was a stickler about not putting hats on the bed. He'd have a cow. lol

trob226 12-18-2006 01:45 PM

My favorite superstition was one a Jewish friend of mine told me. Her mother was always coming up with these Jewish superstitions that nobody else ever heard of. She was at a funeral, at the graveside, and someone sneezed. Her mother yelled, "Quick! Pull up your ear!" Apparently, if someone sneezes at a funeral, it will lure in bad spirits, and to ward them off the sneezer has to pinch the top of his ear and pull up on it. Like I said, nobody else ever heard of this, but now, if you're ever at a funeral and someone sneezes, you're going to have this irresistable urge to yell - "Quick! Pull up your ear!"

apacheheart 12-18-2006 02:10 PM

...don't whistle in the house....never throw away hair or nail clippings,bury or burn them if you can....and always cover the top of your head when passing a graveyard.Never found out why,but these were things that I was taught to do from childhood,and still do!!....if anyone knows the reason behind these particular supes,please enlighten me....keep smilin'1

WhoMe 12-18-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apacheheart
...don't whistle in the house....never throw away hair or nail clippings,bury or burn them if you can....and always cover the top of your head when passing a graveyard.Never found out why,but these were things that I was taught to do from childhood,and still do!!....if anyone knows the reason behind these particular supes,please enlighten me....keep smilin'1

Apache,

I have heard of those superstitions of not whistling in the house or at night. I also heard of never leaving your hair or nail clippings.

Prolly cause the person that told me never cut their toe nails?

*L

j/k

ok24stacey 12-18-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apacheheart

I've heard of the not throwing away hair or nail clippings but it's something I learned from my Grandpa. I'll pm ya about it, tho. :thumbsup: