Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat What kind of flowers are these? What kind of flowers are these?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
Jingle Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen
which ones are birds of paradise? i am really confused i thought i knew what they looked like?
None of them are birds of paradise, someone was confused or something lol. The last ones look like camellias not birds of paradise. someone posted a pic up a few posts of a bird of paradise.

The first pic I uploaded on here is a camellia diagram, the 2nd is a bird of paradise...
Attached Thumbnails
bird-paradise-flower-lake-atitlan-guatemala-bg.jpg   camelliabw.gif  

MizzQaqimat's Space

Last edited by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~; 07-05-2006 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: order of uploads
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

luvmylum is on a distinguished road
Wilmington seems to be a pretty popular place The azaleas here are beautiful, some of the biggest ones I have ever seen. The color selection here is also impressive. The bottom pic kinda looks like it could be a gardenia maybe...they smell wonderful.
luvmylum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi
Here in Terrace Heights (a hillside suburb east of Yakima) the soil SUCKS. It's brown clay it looks and feels like rubber. Dry, it's hard as rock.
Excellent for growing the annual nasturtiums! "nasties" are drought tolerant and LOVE clay soil... as a matter of fact if you plant them in "good" soil they tend to not make very many flowers... give 'em good ol' rocky clay and they make mounds 'n mounds of flowers.

Quote:
I don't know how the azaleas will do, it isn't really that acidic soil but they seem to be surviving.
A quick way to "sour" the soil is to dump used coffee grounds between the "drip line" and the crown (the place where the main trunk meets the soil) of the bush. Sprinkle a little dirt on top of the grounds and muddle it up with a rake. Do this weekly for a season and then ease back to monthly. Your azaleas will love it.

Quote:
The middle step is now home to a baby paulownia (aka. royal empress) that seems to be taking root and surviving. It's rapid growth rate, hyped on several internet sites, hasn't even started to show a hint of happening yet. I suppose it will resemble a young catalpa in a couple of years.
Paulownia favor well drained soils and it's home climate is a bit milder than the one you describe, although they will survive in a wide variety of soils and climates. Their root system is a shallow one as far as trees go. Their fabled growth is slower in less well-drained, heavier soils.

Quote:
The surviving weeping willow looks fairly healthy, but is old and has not been pruned in many years (if ever). At over 50' tall and 50' wide, I think it can stand to come down to 25' x 25' since it is now exceeding its own capacity to intake nutrients ... a few branches were dead and have been pruned. The vast majority of this tree's branches are healthy and display lots of new growth (for the year).
Just remember the rule of thirds, when in doubt as to the shock on a plant: never reduce the size of the plant by more than 1/3rd height/width in a single season.

Just some random thoughts ....

~b2w
Attached Thumbnails
sg010129nasturiums.jpg  
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #24
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylum
Wilmington seems to be a pretty popular place The azaleas here are beautiful, some of the biggest ones I have ever seen. The color selection here is also impressive. The bottom pic kinda looks like it could be a gardenia maybe...they smell wonderful.
You've been to Wilmington lml? I wonder if I've met you before lol....aaaanywayz....Man I love the way gardenia smells, and magnolia! My grandmother used to bring in a big magnolia bloom and put it in a thing of water on her kitchen table, smelled up the whole room! I don't think those are gardenia though. We need an experd, b2w, you don't know what they are? lol The pic I posted is a gardenia.
Attached Thumbnails
2004-03-1220-gardenia.jpg  

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

[QUOTE=~*~MizzQaqimat~*~]You've been to Wilmington lml?
I live in Wilmington right off of Market Street. I have only been here for 7 months, but I love the area.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #26
Jingle Dancer

[QUOTE=luvmylum]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
You've been to Wilmington lml?
I live in Wilmington right off of Market Street. I have only been here for 7 months, but I love the area.
Yeah that area is awesome. Miss it, lol. I'm going back down there in October I hope, before I start up college again. I was born at Cape Fear Hosp, then I moved around some to Beaufort, Arapaho, back to Wilmington and Ogden, and then out to Rocky Point/Long Creek. I tell you what NC is the best place to be lol. I can't hardly stand the snow up here in the winter. I'll talk my husband into moving back to NC one of these days lol. Oh yeah, do you know if they still have the Waccamaw-Siouan powwow out in Buckhead??

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #27
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
We need an experd, b2w, you don't know what they are? lol
Nope, need a better picture. SO said sumpin' about one of the plants in her pix being a vine... if this one is the vine then clematis is probably it. If it's onna bush, I need a better picture... it could be a camelia, rose or gardenia (although the petals look too fragile to be a gardenia which has very stiff petals).

Picture of white clematis attached.

~b2w
Attached Thumbnails
whiteclematis.jpg  
Old 07-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #28
Pow Wow Visitor

The pow-wow this year is October 20-22...maybe you can make a trip home to visit
Old 07-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #29
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
Gardening rule #1 for all gardeners, before digging or planting, drive around your area and see what is growing well in peoples yards. If someone has a plants for sale sign out front, stop! Buy them, they were grown and do well in your area.
Rule #2. if you live in Ga. for gardening look for drought resistant plants if possible starting out.
Rule #3. break up the red clay throughly and mix it with top soil and some moss before putting the plant into the ground.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #30
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Ok finally went out and took pics.. but excuse the pics of the tundra roses (purple flower) becaues they are now dying out for the season... These are all growing wild in my yard.. I'll identify the ones I can for you...

These two are rhubarb which grows wild all over the place.. huge plants of it too.. the one plant you see is about 4 foot right now. Last year it was gigantic, but I dont think it's quite done, as the stalks on it are'nt red yet like the other...

Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #31
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
tundra rose

Old 07-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #32
Honey Connoissuer

not sure what these two are...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #33
Honey Connoissuer

mountain bluebells or something like that....

lowbush cranberries.. the berries are jsut starting to form underneath....

Old 07-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #34
Honey Connoissuer

highbush cranberries... when ripe these are a nice dark red and when you boil them down, the juice color is a dark raspberry pink color... they'd be awesome for natural dying.

My guess is these are a type of dandylion, but they are taller, whispier, and minute compared to the other dandylions.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #35
Honey Connoissuer

no clue.. probably weeds LOL

not sure what these are either..

Fireweed

That's it.. hope you enjoyed!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Those are purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty!!!!!!!!

We may not know what those are ............but I bet someone *cough~b2w~cough* does.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #37
Great Uncle Patrick

Blackbear Read Asap!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
not sure what these two are...
I'll start with the top picture in the post after the Tundra rose.

Without seeing the entire life cycle of the plant, I'll give this a 90% confidence in identification. 100% sure it is in the family Ranunculaceae, commonly known as "buttercup".

I am a bit concerned about the top picture (which is why I'm posting from work). It looks to me like it is Aconitum because of the foliage and the flowering habit. The flowers appear to be "not quite right" for that classification, but just in case it is, STAY AWAY from that plant - keep your kids away and keep your dogs away.

If this is Aconitum (also known as wolfbane and the variety you have may be Aconitum v. noveboracense) it is HIGHLY toxic. All parts of it are poisonous and it can kill in a very short period of time. The sap is poisonous and even holding onto a tuber can be toxic. There is no known antidote. I've attached a botanical sketch of leaf, flower and seed to help you in determining if this is the same as what you have.

"Aconitine is one of the strongest plant poisons. At first, it acts as a stimulant but, after that, it paralyzes the nervous system. Doses of 2-5 mg can kill an adult. The symptoms of poisoning are oral paresthesias, abundant salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The skin becomes cool, the limbs become insensitive and the pulse accelerates. Death results from respiratory failure and cardiac arrest." http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/1_1com.htm

I'll post the rest when I get home, I have another infernal meeting to go to.

~b2w
Attached Thumbnails
250px-aconitum-noveboracense01.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #38
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
This one is definitely a spotted cranesbill or wood geranium (Geranium maculatum).
Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #39
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
My guess is these are a type of dandylion, but they are taller, whispier, and minute compared to the other dandylions.
Close. Arctic dandelions petal clusters are more ovoid - with the petals being of different lengths. The background ones with the oblong leaves, wormy looking fleshy stems and the big poofy seedheads are definitely dandelions.

The ones in the foreground have petals that are all the same length and the branches are upright. If the center really does look like a tightly packed pincushion, bulging up slightly and the foliage is wispy/string-like then these are chamomile (yeah, they make the tea out of the dried flowers).
Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #40
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
not sure what these are either..
This one is easy - the tall spikey ones are white lupines!
Sponsored Links