Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat What's the craziest thing youv'e seen at a pow-wow? What's the craziest thing youv'e seen at a pow-wow?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 12:55 AM   #141
Powwow Cheese Magnet

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Twobraidzz is on a distinguished road
Credits: 70.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbeauty
Well i don't know if it is the funniest thing I have seen but very darn close. Everyone probably sees it. That one white chic who dyes her hair jet black, parts her hair down the center, wears that god awful buckskin dress thats stops well above the knee and dances around claiming she is feeling the spirits :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

HEY I SEEN HER TOO!! yup only she was dressed up like Pocahauntus from the Disney movie,, yeah you know the one strap shoulder,short mid thigh dress that looks kinda like Wilma from the Flinstones and she had big Hooters to match, she was also wearing shimmering brown pantyhose and a black long haired wig, and had her little blonde baby girl dressed up the same way,, this woman did Grand entry ,,Somebody should have stopped her and told her Fabio was waiting for her on the other side of the arena.

Never underestimate the power of an Indian Woman.
Twobraidzz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #142
Shuut uup..are ya serious

Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
One of the craziest things I've seen was...this whole group of natives was drinking at a powwow and this one guy went to the portapotties while this other guy was in there and started shaking it and tipped it over. The guy came out of the john and started swinging so both of their drum groups saw and jumped in. The women were even fighting! They were jumping on the mens backs and the men where knocking them out to. All I seen were fists, hair, and ndns!LOL I never seen so many ndns fighting at one time!LOL THere were like 25-30. THe sercurity said I'm staying outta this one and let them go at it. I was only 7-8 years old. LOL
Azhe'ni is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #143
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,519.71
Savings: 1.00
ewwwwww........nasty!! The whole thing tipped over?! How'd the fighting stop?? That would have been a sight to see. Jeesh!!
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #144
The future is open

Redhawk_foxtail is on a distinguished road
Ok, this may not be the funniest thing, but here goes.

There was this one dancer who I hadnt seen before. He had black fake leather all over, some nice fake eagle feathers, ( BTW, I HATE fake eagle feathers, man they always look so poo. :-D ) a little asian fan for his fan, and was wearing a tophat, dancing tradish like. He danced in front of the head dancer after he blew his eagle whistle ( I know some people dont think that matters ). But he got pulled aside, and Jim ( the head dancer ) takes the MC's mic and starts ranting about what he did wrong, he made this guy pay his drum money for being in the way and disrespecting Jim. That was the first and last time I saw that guy....and yes....he was white.
Another white guy (this guy has blonde curly hair and skin so white it hurts to look at in direct sun light lol :-p ) that still dances around here has some ....*cough* interesting *cough* regalia. It is basically fake black leather with fake black tip eagle feathers and such all over it, his head band, and his bustle. Now, he has been dancing for a long time since I first saw him a few years back, and I will hand it to him his regalia is slowly improving....but because of his store bought look.
His nickname is K-mart. Hence, his entire outfit coulda been bought at K-mart. :-p
Now for anyone that knows me, yeah I look like the some typical white kid. But you know I have been around a while and dance right and all that good stuff. So don't jump on me guys. :-D
Redhawk_foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2004, 01:17 AM   #145
Powwow Cheese Magnet

Twobraidzz is on a distinguished road
Credits: 70.00
Thumbs up

Pounce, jump, bamm,,, ayeee lol, as for looking white well, I know a fancy shawl dancer,, she has blonde hair blue eyes and light skin, part white yes but she was Diegeno, when she first started dancing I noticed alot of other people either being rude to her making comments ,or ignoring her, and of course she never won, but she continued and she always held herself with respect, not many knew who her father was and even when they found out she never used that to her advantage, I have seen her dance since she was a little girl, and now as a young woman in her twentys she is still fancy shawling, she is the best fancy shawl dancer I have seen, and after a while begin to earn the respect of the other dancers, and yes even begin to win and asked to be Headdancer at some powwows, it was kinda sad to see that she was being judged by her skin color but because of so many of whom are spoken of here that is the way it goes I suppose,,, I give her much credit most would have quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk_foxtail
Ok, this may not be the funniest thing, but here goes.

There was this one dancer who I hadnt seen before. He had black fake leather all over, some nice fake eagle feathers, ( BTW, I HATE fake eagle feathers, man they always look so poo. :-D ) a little asian fan for his fan, and was wearing a tophat, dancing tradish like. He danced in front of the head dancer after he blew his eagle whistle ( I know some people dont think that matters ). But he got pulled aside, and Jim ( the head dancer ) takes the MC's mic and starts ranting about what he did wrong, he made this guy pay his drum money for being in the way and disrespecting Jim. That was the first and last time I saw that guy....and yes....he was white.
Another white guy (this guy has blonde curly hair and skin so white it hurts to look at in direct sun light lol :-p ) that still dances around here has some ....*cough* interesting *cough* regalia. It is basically fake black leather with fake black tip eagle feathers and such all over it, his head band, and his bustle. Now, he has been dancing for a long time since I first saw him a few years back, and I will hand it to him his regalia is slowly improving....but because of his store bought look.
His nickname is K-mart. Hence, his entire outfit coulda been bought at K-mart. :-p
Now for anyone that knows me, yeah I look like the some typical white kid. But you know I have been around a while and dance right and all that good stuff. So don't jump on me guys. :-D

Never underestimate the power of an Indian Woman.
Twobraidzz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 02:55 AM   #146
Pow Wow Visitor

phatpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 53.06
Talking

we were @ the Coushatta powwow in Louisianna during grand entry this guy was either carrying the eagle staff or flag. Any ways bout a minute into it this guys false teeth just feel out out of his mouth and he hurried up and picked it up and put it back in his mouth!!!!! That was Funny as hell!!!!
phatpat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 06:32 AM   #147
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
At our first local 4th of July powwow in 2001; someone had a dance special for an older teenager, I guess she was being introduced to the dance arena or something. I missed what they had announced at the time; but I didn't miss what happened next. She danced around the circle; I was just thinking she shouldn't be fancy dancing with a breastplate down to her ankles on! I didn't even have time to point that fact out to my hubby; before she totally tripped on it and went flat down to the floor in a heap of powwow roadkill. I was so embarrased for her. I was glad to see, one of the elder dancers get out on the floor to make sure she was ok, and to join her in dancing the rest of her song. All I can say is,"glad it didn't happen to me!"
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #148
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi
I was dancing at a powwow I was weaving thru couple jingle dress dancers and this trad dancer comes charging like steaming locomotive at me I was move I bumped woman dancers that was scary and embarrassing too. LOL
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #149
Shuut uup..are ya serious

Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
WPD~

You should of been embarrassed bout being a white guy trying to be and dance native.
Azhe'ni is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #150
Traditional Dancer

matthew is just really nice
Spirit Mag

Well i dont know about the craziest thing that I seen, but the craziest thing thats happened to me, or most embarassin i should say, is ..well couple of years ago i posed rather naked on the cover of Spirit Magazine. IT was alll in good taste my son and my partner --it was a familyyy thing. But anewayz, we were at Skydome Powwow this year and my friend, grabed this huge maybe 8 by 5 poster of the cover, and ran to the drum n started waving it around over top of me!!! I was like well didnt know what to do so I kinda just lowered myself in the chair, it was right at the end of the powwow when they were given out prizes :wall: lol

Matthew
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #151
Tiny Tot Dancer

SeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant futureSeminoleSista has a brilliant future
The craziest thing that I have ever seen at Pow Wow was seeing a very large red headed white woman wearing a pocahontas costume....and I knew it was a costume because my cousin used to work at Costumes Plus....
SeminoleSista is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #152
Pow Wow Visitor

moogotti is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm craziest thing aye

well it's not to crazy but it was kinda (one year at westerly powwow in rhode island i was drumming with ah group called bear ridge just jumped on wit em that weekend well ne-way i herd ah jamming southern group jammin out so i went over to tape it i think it might've been ceder tree well they we're jammin hardcore no dout and one of the tops of the sticks flew off and i mean flew that thing flew pretty high and then to top it off it hit the top of the drum next to them imagen that...
moogotti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 PM   #153
Junior Dancer

Ojipelodoba is a name known to all
When the MC announced that he had good news for whoever lost the 5, 100 dollar bills, That he had found his rubber band!!!
Ojipelodoba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #154
Barstar..

Innocently_evil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojipelodoba
When the MC announced that he had good news for whoever lost the 5, 100 dollar bills, That he had found his rubber band!!!

LOL..i think I hear that joke at every pow wow I go to.. :)

Or how, Shania Twain was set to marry Jordin Tootoo but she called off the wedding becuz she didnt want to be known as Shania Tootoo Twain...

Old 08-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #155
Swan Lake Ojibway

ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 241.60
Mmm...the craziest thing I have seen at a pow wow. When traditional dancers are decked out in neon colors....burns the eyes.... :Eyebrows
ojibwaywmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #156
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
Well i dont know about the craziest thing that I seen, but the craziest thing thats happened to me, or most embarassin i should say, is ..well couple of years ago i posed rather naked on the cover of Spirit Magazine. IT was alll in good taste my son and my partner --it was a familyyy thing. But anewayz, we were at Skydome Powwow this year and my friend, grabed this huge maybe 8 by 5 poster of the cover, and ran to the drum n started waving it around over top of me!!! I was like well didnt know what to do so I kinda just lowered myself in the chair, it was right at the end of the powwow when they were given out prizes :wall: lol

Matthew
It was very tastefully done - a nice looking family!
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #157
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,500.18
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
The craziest thing I've ever seen is how the john kerry campaign committee took over the powwows two days before he even set foot inside the arena. Then during the day when he was supposed to make his appearance, secret service delayed the gourd dance while they took their time setting up metal detectors through which all powwow participants and spectators had to go through before getting down into the grounds.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #158
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew

Matthew
Hey I remember that magazine! I was at the Skydome powwow and I brought a few copies home with your family's pics on there. I was teasing my son and his wife saying that they should pose like that, with their baby, for our Tribal newspaper, lol... That was a couple of years ago.... Very cool pic and I thought that you guys were very brave. we also saw your wife walking around and some of my friends from Manitoulin pointed her out to me. Pretty cool! How's the magazine going by the way?? I haven't been able to go back yet :(
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #159
C is for Cookie!

IrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond reputeIrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Ok the craziest thing I ever saw was at a cherokee powwow in NC they had this blanket in the middle of the dancing circle so you could put donation money on it. We this one little boy ran up to mut a dollar in but when he got the he threw the dollar then grabbed a twenty and ran. It was really quite funny he was only like 3.

I heard a joke at the gateway to nations powwow in brooklyn. The announcer guy said, "What do Indian men and parking spaces have in commin?...... All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped"! It was so funny the 83 yr old Wampanoag women that was with us nearly fell over laughing it was a scream. But the best part was all the white ppl there were like..huh.
IrOqUoIs_FeMmE15 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2004, 02:05 AM   #160
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
don't you hate when the server glitches like that Iroquoios Femme?

I've seen too much strange stuff to even say... but I guess i would have to say the strangest is our local nuage wonder who dresses in a faux buckskin dress with fringe AND jingles and wears a fringed poncho for a shawl but wears it wide open so you see the head hole. But she also does'nt carry it.. she dances .. ok she skips around a powwow circle like a little girl does on a playground while waving this poncho behind her like she's supposedly fancy shawl dancing. Her bright red curly hair and alabaster skin dotted with freckles. Her Seneca grandmother being Twyla Nitch LOL! OH yeah, I forgot.. minnetonka boots!