Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat What's everyones opinion on this??? What's everyones opinion on this???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Cherie is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
What's everyones opinion on this???

What's everyones opinion regarding members of a already federally recognized tribal community who break away and form their own? These members carry membership cards in both of these communities. I consider this dual enrollment. The daughter of the Chairman of this un-recognized community is on the Board of Directors for the Federally recognized one.

When I questioned this I was told that someone could/can belong to more then one tribal community just as long as both weren't Federally recognized or then they would have to choose between the two.

Also if someone served as one of the Board of Directors but later resigns can they still remain a member of a tribal community.

I was told that once someone resigns as board member that their membership is dissolved and they can never come/go back. Is this true? Would it also depend on the tribal communities constitution?

The reason for these questions is because I've been told conflicting answers on this.

Someone at the BIA told me that tribal communities pretty much do as they please regarding their membership and, someone on the Board of Directors told me that once someone resigns that they're never welcomed back.

Last edited by Cherie; 02-08-2006 at 01:43 PM..
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Where is this? Being an enrolled member, and holding a position on a tribal board are two separate issues. People resign all the time on tribal boards, committees and such, they do not lose their membership for that. Now if a person were kicked off a tribal board, for doing something aweful like raping woman and children, I could see where the tribe might have a good reason for kicking them out of the tribe, community and that is just my personal opinion.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

WocusWoman; It happened in Michigan.

I served as a board member and later resigned for personal reasons and was told by another boardmember that I was no longer considered a member. During a meeting with the Chairman and the board of directors I shared with them what I was told by another board member regarding my membership . The Chairman told me that the other board member was correct and went on to explain to me that since I resigned as boardmember I was no longer considered a member and could never come back. Since I hadn't done anything wrong and had resigned on my own choosing I was confused about why my membership would be closed.It just didn't make any sense.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Tokana_49

tokana_49 is a jewel in the rough
Wha...? So...do all the "tribal" members belong on the "Board"? Like..."I think I'll resign as a tribal member" I'm not familiar with this concept, but it sounds like you belonged to a club of sorts. Usually, it's not that easy to get Un-enrolled in federally recognized Tribal entities. Perhaps we need more info.
tokana_49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

Tokan_49; At the time I submitted my intent letter to be on their board there was only the Chairman, his father and his daughter and two other boardmembers who had originally started this un-federally recognized organization back in the 1980s. From what I was able to find out this organization has never followed through on their petition for seeking federal recognition but had only told their membership that they were doing so. Under the Federal guidelines a newly formed organization's membership cannot solely excist of a already federaly recognized tribal community. Right now this club/organization is only considered a club by our government which is no different then a PTA/PTO etc. Even their membership cards aren't worth the paper their printed on.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
No longer a BOARD member or a TRIBAL member?

maybe you got it mixed up.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

billyjoejimbob;Can I asumme that you were asking me a question?

I was told that since I had resigned off the board that I wouldn't even be considered a member.

I was given back my documents that I'd submitted regarding my ancestory and told not to ever come back. That by resigning as board member that I had shamed my ancestors. Have you ever heard such a crock of poop in your life.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Question

wow.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverwade
I just stumbled onto this topic and let me say that Cherie's authenticity is questionable. I will be petty only because she has never eaten a piece of frybread in her life. This thread will probably be deleted soon by the moderators only because I took the offensive against Cherie, I apologize to all.
I have a flash for you Wade there is only two people I have to answer to in this life and it's not YOU.They're my Creator and the person I see in the mirror every morning. You've had it in for me from day one and I still can't figure out why.I've never tried to seek you out on this site and don't understand why you've chosen me to dump on. You're the very same person who gave out my private email and were the cause of people sending me harrassing and threatening emails.

You know absolutely nothing about me, my ancestory, nothing at all except for my user name.

I don't recall seeing you where I was when it was my turn to pass the ceremonial bowl around. . Nor do I remember seeing you at the same place when I said the prayer to the Creator.

Wade I owe you nothing nor do YOU have anything I want.

Unless you have the documents to prove I'm not who I am then I would suggest you leave me alone.

Last edited by Cherie; 02-08-2006 at 06:02 PM..
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie
Tokan_49; At the time I submitted my intent letter to be on their board there was only the Chairman, his father and his daughter and two other boardmembers who had originally started this un-federally recognized organization back in the 1980s. From what I was able to find out this organization has never followed through on their petition for seeking federal recognition but had only told their membership that they were doing so. Under the Federal guidelines a newly formed organization's membership cannot solely excist of a already federaly recognized tribal community. Right now this club/organization is only considered a club by our government which is no different then a PTA/PTO etc. Even their membership cards aren't worth the paper their printed on.
Sounds like a dissident group or unsanctioned band council.. if they dont have the federal recognition as a separate tribe from the one they broke off of (who are indeed federally recognized) and their cards do'nt mean diddly... then what's your problem with them unrecognizing you?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

Blackbear; The thing about being unrecognized as a member didn't really bother me anyhow. I just couldn't figure out why if ANYONE chooses to resign as board member why should that make them any less a member. If someone is good enough to give up their free time to volunteer on a board then why shouldn't they be good enough to be a member? That's all I'm saying. The way this particular group did thngs didn't make any sense.

Last edited by Cherie; 02-08-2006 at 06:31 PM..
Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I think I understand now. The tribe in question is Unrecognized. They can do whatever the heck they want to do; just like so many others, and they can get away with it. Why worry about it, move on. If your only a descendant, then just say your a descendant. I'm kinda upset with you for making this an issue, when it is really a null and void issue...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

[QUOTE=WocusWoman]Oh, I think I understand now. The tribe in question is Unrecognized. They can do whatever the heck they want to do; just like so many others, and they can get away with it. Why worry about it, move on. If your only a descendant, then just say your a descendant. I'm kinda upset with you for making this an issue, when it is really a null and void issue...[/QUOTE

If you're kinda upset with me that's ok cause I've got broad shoulders I can take it. Having three older brothers I've had lots of practice.

I was really trying to get an opinion. It may not look like it but believe me I have moved on. Someone asked me a question earlier in this thread and I answered it.

I just don't think that unrecognized groups should be allowed to get away with or get a blank check.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

Exactly.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
there has to be something more to this issue. if you have a good reason for resigning they shouldnt give you flack. Unless you know somehting they dont want you to know or they know something WE dont know.

otherwise, skrue them. when they DO get recognized, you have your papers, they cant say anything then unless they want a lawsuit and bad publicity.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
Chahta Apokni

veritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond reputeveritasxl has a reputation beyond repute
That really something, I was reading in Indian Country how all over the US people are being dis-enrolled for various reasons. Out here in Cali, it's all about the gaming bucks. Hope you can get this settled, be careful, seek out a respected elder perhaps they can advise you. Every tribe has own rules, some or passed down orally....so it made be actually true. If it was for personal reasons, maybe and elder can petition on your behalf. We can all pray for you that this gets resovled.

V