Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat What Should I Wear to a Powwow? What Should I Wear to a Powwow?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Credits: 92,343.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
One day at a powwow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodica View Post
Actually it was pretty good.
I took your advice about going casual, and just wore a pair of black sneakers, a pair of black jeans, and a light black sweater. And it's a good thing that I did.
I knew it was going to be a little chilly before I left, but even so, It was a lot colder than I had expected, when I got there (around noon).
Fortunatly, the Powwow had been moved indoors because
of the weather.
They held it inside what used to be a high school gym (although the high school itself had been torn down).
I could see several Scottish tartans hanging from 2 of the walls, and was told that they had also used it to host the last local Highland games.
It was so packed, that it was filled to at least twice capacity. When I got there, all the spectator seats (of which there were a lot, since they were built for a gym) were full, so I just sat on the floor.
I was just in time for the beginning of the stories, but unfortunatly, the microphone was so garbled, that I couldn't really understand what the story-tellers were saying.
After they were finnished with the stories, I got in line for some lunch. There were quite a few people in front of me, so I had to wait about 20 minutes before I could place my order.
But I didn't mind; I just passed the time chatting with other people in line. I had a bowl of Machu soup (corn soup with sausage and a few other things in it), and an "Indian taco" (which is made with frybread).
They were both awesome. Then afterwards, I decided to check out the vendors. Although there were only three vendors stands, there were still some pretty good things.
Two ladies at one of the stands were selling NA DVDs (some fiction, some not), and I bought a DVD from them called "Tales of Wonder I & II". On the DVD, a man named Gregg Howard (who's Cherokee/Powhatan) tells traditional NA stories to a group of children, and also teaches several words in Cherokee and tells a bit about Cherokee history.
I also bought NA-style small purse made of very soft leather, with some nice fringing and beadwork on it; as well as a hand-woven bracelet which also had some nice beadwork on it.
And of course, I also bought a program.
The gourd dancers were very good (one little boy who was dancing had red and blue regalia made from a Spiderman blanket, with a picture of Spiderman on the front, and on the back, and blue and red fringework).
Only two girls did Fancy Shawl dancing, but they were impressive. Apparently dancing like that is not easy to learn; and takes a bit of stamina.
When it was Round-dance time, I joined in.
I took up position right behind a NA guy and tried to imitate him, but the rythm didn't quite flow right, so my dancing came out looking more like somthing from Riverdance (a woman who was dancing near me even asked if I did traditional Irish dancing, because her daughter did).
The powwow drew quite a diverse crowd.
You wouldn't believe the number of Cherokee and Choctaw there (there were also some Apache, and a couple of other Nations).
There were actually two drumming circles.
The host drummers (who were from Louisiana), and group of drummers from Mississippi.
There were also several Goths, and quite a few bikers.
Of course, not all of the Powwow was quite as impressive.
There was a family of Cherokee who were weaving and selling baskets there. They were also selling some other things.
I looked at one of their tables and saw a rather small tube made of beads. I asked one of them what it was, and she said it was a cigarette-lighter-holder. On the table, I also saw beaded keychains. Unbelievable.
And in another stand I saw a guy who was selling some hunting knives... which were made in China.
He was also selling "dream-catchers" made with cotton instead of feathers.
However he was also selling some pretty good stuff; like assorted types of small crystals (quartz, amythyst, etc.).
Nothing expensive, but they were pretty.
The Head Man Dancer was a Mohawk from Canada named Matthew Rasonako'he Montour; and his regalia was complely traditional. He was even wearing traditional-style black & white face-paint. The guy was huge!
He was deffinatly a good deal over six feet tall.
But I talked with him. He seemd like a really nice guy.
The NA vets there were each wearing vests that said which branch of the military that they had served in; and vets from each branch were called in to the circle to be honored; one
branch at a time. Then MC invited all vets there (both Native and non) to come into the circle to be honored.
All in all, I had really nice time.
Although it lasted until 6:00, I left at about 4:30 because the closing ceromony had been held, and I had quite a long drive home ahead of me, and I didn't want to be driving at night because I didn't want to get lost.
As soon as I walked out of the building, I was glad of my diecision, because it was completly overcast, the temperature had dropped low enough to make me shiver, and the wind had really picked up. I got home ok, though.
What a report, eh?
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #42
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
Savings: 0.00
i know ennit, i guess there was no bathroom breaks

to make it more interesting i made her sound like spongebob squarepants while i was reading it.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #43
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,343.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Miss Bodica!

Quote:
I'm going to a Powwow this Saturday, and I would like to know what you think is alright to wear.
I know that I'm not supposed to wear anything provocative like heels, a mini-skirt, a tank-top, or heavy make-up, or a T-shirt with somthing offensive/vulgar on it; but I'd like to know what is appropriate to wear to a Powow.
Are flat casual sandals ok?
What about earrings?
Does it matter if I wear my hair up or down?
Are casual jeans, a T-shirt, & sneakers ok; or should I go with a more dressy/casual look?
Is it ok to show my legs as long as the skirt is below my knees?
I'd really like to hear opinions from a number of people about this.
Thanks very much.
@Bodica, where are you?
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #44
Junior Dancer

jack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,367.78
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
I'm going to a Powwow this Saturday, and I would like to know what you think is alright to wear.

Thanks very much.
You could wear something like this

Itzhecatl likes this.
jack2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links