PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   What is your word for.....breastmilk? (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/what-your-word-breastmilk-28312/)

Mia Gahdus 07-31-2005 10:55 PM

What is your word for.....breastmilk?

Just finished a conversation with some other ppl...
about the T-shirts that say "Got Doodoo" and how incorrect it is...also, non-natives might think we are asking "Got poop?"
Doodooshaboo is Cow's Milk
Niiniishaboo is Momma's milk, ie -breastmilk

"Got Doodooshaboo?" would be correct if comparing the milk ads, ie - "Got Milk" but since so many native's are dairy intolerant, this might not be best.
If we want to promote breastfeeding in the Ojibwe culture, the best T-shirts would say "Got Niiniishaboo?" ie- "Got Breastmilk?"

Anyways, I was wondering what word other indigenous ppl use for breastmilk? Not cow's milk, but breastmilk from a human mother...?

Maji 07-31-2005 11:13 PM

I disagree with you, doo doo shaboo is what we were told by our elders even if your right I will still call them doo doo shaboos nananaboozhoo hey is that wennanaboozhoos woman?

**jdazmum** 07-31-2005 11:48 PM

Navajo way, we don't talk about breastmilk, it's the same word as saying breasts and it's not right................maybe some other Jahn will tell you. LOL!

*Brown Eyed Gurl* 07-31-2005 11:55 PM

IN Halq'emeylem we say MUH..but u gotta hear it..lol..its the word for breast/milk

xTekno 08-01-2005 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **jdazmum**
Navajo way, we don't talk about breastmilk, it's the same word as saying breasts and it's not right................maybe some other Jahn will tell you. LOL!

Come on Jdazmum, spill it! :thumbsup:

**jdazmum** 08-01-2005 12:11 AM

NO! oy'yoh' Techno.

50cal 08-01-2005 02:17 PM

HEY!!!! Only I can tell her that.............ennit baby...........LOL!!

Mia Gahdus 08-01-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Especially, considering the high rates of obesity and diabetes, both of which are MORE likely to occur in an infant that is formula fed.
Maybe if more indigenous ppl weren't afraid to talk about breasts and breastfeeding, we wouldn't have such a high rate of infant mortality, disease, etc.

Also, the bonding that occurs between mother and baby is much stronger. The mother will be more likely to take action if her infant is in danger. Maybe, there would be less cases of sexual abuse/predation upon our children.
Native teachings also tell the breastfeeding mom to stay away from alcohol and drugs. The infant will then be more healthy and so will mom.

Also, the cost of formula,bottles, nipples, dish soap, etc is way more than just breastfeeding.

Have you ever read the ingredients on formula?
Whey protein - is the WASTE by-product of cow's milk.

The Creator made breastmilk, not formula.
The Creator, also, made it so that a wetnurse or sister, cousin, can breastfeed your infant if you are unable to.

okay, I'll get off my soapbox...

badmaninc 08-02-2005 02:03 AM

Plus the containers are really recyclable. Most are pleasant to look at. My word for them is DAMMMMMMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackbear 08-02-2005 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mia Gahdus
Just finished a conversation with some other ppl...
about the T-shirts that say "Got Doodoo" and how incorrect it is...also, non-natives might think we are asking "Got poop?"
Doodooshaboo is Cow's Milk
Niiniishaboo is Momma's milk, ie -breastmilk

"Got Doodooshaboo?" would be correct if comparing the milk ads, ie - "Got Milk" but since so many native's are dairy intolerant, this might not be best.
If we want to promote breastfeeding in the Ojibwe culture, the best T-shirts would say "Got Niiniishaboo?" ie- "Got Breastmilk?"

Anyways, I was wondering what word other indigenous ppl use for breastmilk? Not cow's milk, but breastmilk from a human mother...?

You are overthinking it man.... it's just supposed to be humorous ROFLMAO!!!

**jdazmum** 08-02-2005 05:08 PM

No kidding huh? What's with the breastmilk crusade? We all know breastmilk is great for babies, milk in general is good for the body............or are you just bored and couldn't think of a thread?? LOL! kidding.

anyway..................*sigh*

Mia Gahdus 08-02-2005 08:32 PM

Milk in general really isn't that good. Especially for native americans. Too many of our infants are dying because they are given formula. Many indians have severe dairy allergies.

I am on a crusade to stop our infants from dying from misinformation given to us.

Also, I am sick and tired of young indian men trying to get a peek at my breasts when I am nursing my baby at the powwows. What happened to basic respect?

Blackbear 08-02-2005 09:02 PM

ROFLMAO!! well maybe they just trying to see what you are doing and are actually embarrassed after they look and figure it out!

**jdazmum** 08-02-2005 09:06 PM

LMAO!!! If you are concerned about people peeking in on your breastfeeding, why are you doing it at a public function anyway? Doesn't make sense.

**jdazmum** 08-02-2005 09:06 PM

Some states, public safety can arrest you for breastfeeding in public?? Did you know that? sounds crazy, but true.

**jdazmum** 08-02-2005 09:10 PM

Sorry, but I am not going to stop feeding my daughter milk, just because it may cause obesity. It's better than beer like some crazy ndn mothers. Oh, forgot to mention, more woman suffer osteoporosis because they don't get enough calcium. That goes for alot of native woman/man, when back in the day didn't get enough milk.

middle of the sky 08-02-2005 09:10 PM

:lol: got doodoo? thats what we call em ..i think other peeps call em something similar and im a nish... there different versions of ojibway...
i breastfeed cuz it was cheap and convenient..im lactose intolerant ..pull my finger aye...jk

xTekno 08-02-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:

NO! oy'yoh' Techno.

Jdazmum, the way to say it is 'Abe'iish neehóló?

But then, it's a figure of speech, ennit?

**jdazmum** 08-02-2005 09:30 PM

That's like asking for sugar?

xTekno 08-02-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

That's like asking for sugar?

More like "do you have milk?" or "got milk?"