Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree46Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Wolf Blog Wolf Blog

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Chasing Blue Skies...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,374.06
Savings: 0.00
Wolf Blog

If anyone is interested, I created a new blog that will deal with something that has been dear to me for awhile. Wolf conservation. I will be posting links and updates in regards to the delisting of wolves from the endangered species list as well as wolf harvesting and legislature by state. Our government is trying to kill off one of the most important animals for the balance and well being of our environment. And why? Primarily because ranchers who graze their cattle on public lands don't want wolves going after their livestock. It's a very small percentage of cattle loss for them. Let them keep their stock on their own private land. If the cattle freeze, what are we going to do? Outlaw bad weather? It's ridiculous. So anyway, off my soap box for now... I will keep things up to date on the blog.

Thank you for listening!
windanncer and Siobhanni like this.

"It's better to be a smartass than a dumbass..."
hamiller13 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,816.23
Savings: 1.00
Don't like wolves and certainly hate wolf hybrids ! One of those decided my granddaughter would be a tasty morsel....1 less we have to worry about.Granddaughter will always carry the scars.
windanncer, subeeds and renia58 like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Chasing Blue Skies...

hamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond reputehamiller13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Don't like wolves and certainly hate wolf hybrids ! One of those decided my granddaughter would be a tasty morsel....1 less we have to worry about.Granddaughter will always carry the scars.
Any dog can bite. I was bitten badly by a friend's German shepherd when I was a kid. No one taught me how to act around that dog and I did something that provoked the dog. Purely unintentionally. But all animals have certain instincts and 9 out of 10 times, it's something that we as people do that causes the bad reaction in the animal.

That being said, there are a LOT of irresponsible dog owners as well. I've known people who had particular dog breeds because they thought it was cool to have a "mean" dog and thereby made the dog mean and allowed it to be ill mannered and hurt others. I have a wolf dog. And I know her very well and know when she's afraid (which is usually what causes a bite). I watch her like a hawk around everyone. And if she even looks at someone funny, I'm on her in an instant. I don't allow her to misbehave. And I do understand her instincts and know what causes that behavior. I think most of the time it's a combination of things that causes bad things to happen when it comes to dogs or any other animal for that matter. Most people don't know the signs and that includes owners of dogs that may be higher risk to own.

I am very, very sorry for what happened to your granddaughter. That is a horrible situation no matter what and I would never side with an animal over a child, so don't get me wrong about that.

I'm just saying that many times, things can be avoided just by being educated about the situation.

But to hate all wolves, or wolf dogs for that matter, because of one bad incident, is like hating a whole race of people because of one bad seed.
Siobhanni likes this.

Last edited by hamiller13; 08-10-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Think what you want. The fact is my granddaughter wandered within chain reach of a supposedly tame and friendly wolf hybrid , and it tried to eat her face. Wolves and hybrids are wild animals that prey on weaker animals.
You can claim education is the key all you want but the facts won't bear out !
watch this and there are many more out there.
Wolf-Hybrid Attacks on Children - YouTube
windanncer and renia58 like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
And this one "raised them and was aware of their behavior !

Wolf dogs killed owner, autopsy determines - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Chasing Blue Skies...

I know someone who was mauled by a cocker spaniel. She has scars on her face to this day. Guess any dog can do harm...

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
And yet another.....good article.

Wolf hybrid aggression & behavior - Expert witness testimony dog bites

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
and again.

Pahrump Woman Dies After Attack by 8 Wolf Hybrids - 8 News NOW

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiller13 View Post
I know someone who was mauled by a cocker spaniel. She has scars on her face to this day. Guess any dog can do harm...
There are many dog attacks each year. A wolf is NOT a dog . It is a wild animal and it is a predator. They serve their purpose , IN THE WILD. They have no place in a domestic life.And just that little bit of wild blood in those hybrids make them dangerous and unpredictable.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Here is just a few more articles about children and adults killed by wolf hybrids.......need I go on ?

Westmoreland woman found dead in wolf pen ("Wolf-hybrids" killed)
The Case Against Hybrids - Petfinder
Wolf hybrid kills grandson, 5
Neighborhoodtimes: Dog that attacked infant described as wolf hybrid
Prosecutor Says Child ?Partially Eaten? In Dog Attack ę CBS Detroit
Justice for Lincoln Park Fatal Dog Attack Victim Finally Emerges - DogsBite.org

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Chasing Blue Skies...

Quote:
There are many dog attacks each year. A wolf is NOT a dog . It is a wild animal and it is a predator. They serve their purpose , IN THE WILD. They have no place in a domestic life.And just that little bit of wild blood in those hybrids make them dangerous and unpredictable.
That is your opinion. And you have every right to it. As do I. And just because my opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean that either is wrong or right, just different. But don't try to change my mind because you won't and I will respect your right to your own ideas on the subject.

If my blog doesn't interest you or offends you, don't read it.
windanncer likes this.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
That is your opinion. And you have every right to it. As do I. And just because my opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean that either is wrong or right, just different. But don't try to change my mind because you won't and I will respect your right to your own ideas on the subject.

If my blog doesn't interest you or offends you, don't read it.
Well , I pray it won't take losing one of your own children to convince you that wolf hybrids should be outlawed and exterminated.As far as full blood wolves...they need to stay in the wild.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Chasing Blue Skies...

Quote:
Well , I pray it won't take losing one of your own children to convince you that wolf hybrids should be outlawed and exterminated.As far as full blood wolves...they need to stay in the wild.
My own child does just fine with our wolfdog. She did perfectly fine with our pitbulls too.

And I agree that wolves need to stay in the wild. That's the whole point of my blog.
windanncer likes this.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,930.95
Quote:
My own child does just fine with our wolfdog. She did perfectly fine with our pitbulls too.
"Too easy."
windanncer, hamiller13 and renia58 like this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #15

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 11,176.82
Quote:
True - when I was a kid I have seen this cute cocker spaniel sitting at this supermarket place there - I wanted to give him a stroke and he snapped my fingers so my mom and grandma who were with me had to go to the doc, scolding at me the whole time for having ruined their visit with a friend, man, I was only 6 or 7. Well, thanks God it wasn't too bad, no scars. But I learned not to wanting to touch a dog just like that.
renia58 likes this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Chasing Blue Skies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
"Too easy."
Zeke

Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,705.35
I'm actually with Wardancer on this one, despite my love for animals. Wolves (and wolfdogs for that matter) belong in the wild.

When I was a little kid, sure I wanted one; just like I also thought I could convince my mother that I could have a deer or own a bull and keep it under my bed. But as I got older, it became apparent that the only reason for wanting to own a wolf or wolf hybrid was for the "special" factor. Sure, they're cool animals. Yes, they pretty. But they belong in the wild. To me it fits along with a human's desire to own and possess things in order to gain some form of validation.

On that note, I do disagree with Wardancer's idea of mass extermination. While I have seen quite a number of animal related injuries, I still can't bring myself to agree with exterminating a whole due to a species being put into a situation that it doesn't belong in. Let's face it, wolves weren't MEANT to be owned. Just because we mix it with a cute little domesticated doggy, doesn't mean it's going to cure the problem of still being a wolf with a wolf's nature. There may be success stories of owning a wolf hybrid, but there are also numerous incidents.

The difference between a cocker spaniel mauling and a wolf hybrid mauling is that the cocker spaniel breed dates back to roughly the 14th century and has had ample time to work out most of the kinks (if you are going to use the rebuttal that all domesticated dogs stem from a wild ancestor). People today are taking wolves because of their, what I like to call 'cool factor', breeding them, and not acting responsible in their ownership of the animal. Just because it was raised around humans and is trained, does not eliminate the fact that it is a generation 1, 2, or 3 wolf. That is not enough time for an animal to become completely domesticated.

So again, it comes back to why do humans think that they need to OWN a piece of wild nature? If you're interested in keeping wolves from extinction as a species, work with and/or open a wolf conservatory or sanctuary. If you want to create a new species that has the physical characteristics of a wolf in the name of science, then do so in a controlled research environment away from innocent humans. But if you own them because you like their look, think they're cute, or admire the animal and wish to possess its awesomeness, it seems quite illogical to me.

On the same token, I am all for animal sanctuaries. So many people these days like the idea of owning animals that they call exotic. Then the animals suffer, get pissed off, and donít behave like their human owners wish them to. Then either humans or animals get hurt and all these disagreements start. If people like wolves so much, work with or open a wolf sanctuary and work to get wolves in a reasonable, responsible, and controlled environment. The same goes for all the other species of animals that people think they can own; wolves, servals, caracals, monkeys, alligators, all species of foxes, lynx, big cats, and the list keeps on going. None of which were meant to be owned by humans. We think we can control these animals and every situation that may arise therein to fit our lifestyles, but our egos are too big and despite an ownerís best efforts, we are never TRULY in control. You may not have a single problem in your household and thatís nice, but as an owner Iím sure you realize that you are in possession of a semi-wild animal that you then have to treat as such (i.e you do not have complete control).
Siobhanni likes this.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Chasing Blue Skies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
I'm actually with Wardancer on this one, despite my love for animals. Wolves (and wolfdogs for that matter) belong in the wild.

When I was a little kid, sure I wanted one; just like I also thought I could convince my mother that I could have a deer or own a bull and keep it under my bed. But as I got older, it became apparent that the only reason for wanting to own a wolf or wolf hybrid was for the "special" factor. Sure, they're cool animals. Yes, they pretty. But they belong in the wild. To me it fits along with a human's desire to own and possess things in order to gain some form of validation.

On that note, I do disagree with Wardancer's idea of mass extermination. While I have seen quite a number of animal related injuries, I still can't bring myself to agree with exterminating a whole due to a species being put into a situation that it doesn't belong in. Let's face it, wolves weren't MEANT to be owned. Just because we mix it with a cute little domesticated doggy, doesn't mean it's going to cure the problem of still being a wolf with a wolf's nature. There may be success stories of owning a wolf hybrid, but there are also numerous incidents.

The difference between a cocker spaniel mauling and a wolf hybrid mauling is that the cocker spaniel breed dates back to roughly the 14th century and has had ample time to work out most of the kinks (if you are going to use the rebuttal that all domesticated dogs stem from a wild ancestor). People today are taking wolves because of their, what I like to call 'cool factor', breeding them, and not acting responsible in their ownership of the animal. Just because it was raised around humans and is trained, does not eliminate the fact that it is a generation 1, 2, or 3 wolf. That is not enough time for an animal to become completely domesticated.

So again, it comes back to why do humans think that they need to OWN a piece of wild nature? If you're interested in keeping wolves from extinction as a species, work with and/or open a wolf conservatory or sanctuary. If you want to create a new species that has the physical characteristics of a wolf in the name of science, then do so in a controlled research environment away from innocent humans. But if you own them because you like their look, think they're cute, or admire the animal and wish to possess its awesomeness, it seems quite illogical to me.

On the same token, I am all for animal sanctuaries. So many people these days like the idea of owning animals that they call exotic. Then the animals suffer, get pissed off, and donít behave like their human owners wish them to. Then either humans or animals get hurt and all these disagreements start. If people like wolves so much, work with or open a wolf sanctuary and work to get wolves in a reasonable, responsible, and controlled environment. The same goes for all the other species of animals that people think they can own; wolves, servals, caracals, monkeys, alligators, all species of foxes, lynx, big cats, and the list keeps on going. None of which were meant to be owned by humans. We think we can control these animals and every situation that may arise therein to fit our lifestyles, but our egos are too big and despite an ownerís best efforts, we are never TRULY in control. You may not have a single problem in your household and thatís nice, but as an owner Iím sure you realize that you are in possession of a semi-wild animal that you then have to treat as such (i.e you do not have complete control).
I do agree with everything you've said. I don't think people should breed wolf dogs. I do have one however that I rescued. I know people who do wolf dog rescue and they are VERY particular as to who they adopt out to. You have to really do your homework and be very educated on wolf behavior to adopt. Mine is mid-low content. She can be pretty wolfy, but she's not like having an actual wolf as a pet. I don't believe people other than sanctuaries or license wild life experts should own high content wolf dogs. I didn't get her to be cool either. I got her because I have knowledge on the subject of wolf dogs and I didn't want to see her destroyed as she is a very sweet, loving dog.

That being said, my whole reason for starting the wolf blog wasn't to discuss the pros or cons of wolf dogs anyway. It was to promote the conservation of wolves in the wild. And I'm not a nut about it. If your family or pets or livestock are being threatened on your private land, then absolutely you have to deal with it. I'm against trapping and hunting on public lands. Wolves are essential to our eco system. Sorry if there are a few less elk for humans to hunt, but some people never learn to share.

I appreciate your comments on the subject. Thank you.
Siobhanni likes this.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,930.95
Quote:
Zeke
For clarification, I meant it was "too easy" to attack an argument equating wolves -- and wolf hybrids -- with pittbulls, even though pittbulls have a single reason for existing and it is not the betterment of mankind.

Basically, it's like praising Hitler by equating him with Mussolini.
renia58 likes this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post

There should NEVER be wolf/dogs. They should have never been inter-bred ! When you breed a wild animal with a domestic animal , all it does is remove the "fear of man" factor. This makes that animal much more unpredictable.That is dangerous. Years ago when I was much younger( a kid actually) my step-dad was working ground and there was a coyote in the field. As the day went on , my stepdad , knowing that coyotes generally run from man , decided to get a closer look and suspected it to be part dog. So he stops the tractor and was going to physically run it off and it chased him back to his tractor. NO FEAR OF MAN. The next day he took a rifle with him and removed the threat. He said if it wasn't afraid of him , it wouldn't be afraid of any of us kids and that just wouldn't do.

On that note, I do disagree with Wardancer's idea of mass extermination. While I have seen quite a number of animal related injuries, I still can't bring myself to agree with exterminating a whole due to a species being put into a situation that it doesn't belong in. Let's face it, wolves weren't MEANT to be owned.
The same goes for all the other species of animals that people think they can own; wolves, servals, caracals, monkeys, alligators, all species of foxes, lynx, big cats, and the list keeps on going. despite an ownerís best efforts, we are never TRULY in control. You may not have a single problem in your household and thatís nice, but as an owner Iím sure you realize that you are in possession of a semi-wild animal that you then have to treat as such (i.e you do not have complete control).
I will clarify ....I believe that ALL wolf hybrids should be destroyed. The reason is simple....They do not fear man.
Wolves have a place in the wild and serve a purpose. I think if a wild animal of any type , becomes a menace , then it needs to be dealt with.
renia58 likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links