Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Episode do you deal with the most?
Manic Episode 0 0%
Depressive Episode 0 0%
Both 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Bipolar Disorder Bipolar Disorder

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
*Mystic Paradise*

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Bipolar Disorder

For the past 7 years, I have been Bipolar. I was first diagnosed with the disorder back in 1998 after the death of my grandma(MomMom).

Mostly everyday I can either have a Manic Episode or a Depressive Episode. Here are some of the symptoms that I have:

MANIC EPISODE
*Extreme irritability
*Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
*Distractibility, can't concentrate well
*Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
*Denial that anything is wrong
*A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
*Increased sexual drive

DEPRESSIVE EPISODE
*Lasting sad, anxious, or empty mood
*Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
*Decreased energy, a feeling of fatigue or of being slowed down
*Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
*Sleeping too much, or can't sleep
*Change in appetite and/or unintended weight loss or gain
*Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts

I deal with the majority of these symptoms every, single day & it's tough on me, especially now that I'm pregnant. It's weighing me down.

I also heard that Bipolar Disorder is a little high in the American Indian Country, I'm not sure what the percentage it is.

Is there anyone else who is diagnosed with a Bipolar Disorder? How long have you been dealing with it? I would like to interact with others who deal with similar problems.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
http://support4hope.com/bipolar_disorder/index.htm
Hang in there and take your meds!

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
proud powwow mom

creelady2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
bipolar disorder

my brother is manic depressive and this is one of most frustrating disorders, right now for about the twentyith time he is not on his meds and he becomes very needy on me when he is not on his meds. he 35 years old and he dealing with reactive attachment disorder also thats means that he did't bond with our mother when he was a baby this has lasting effects for the rest of his life. i really truly want him to manage his own affairs but he is not capable when he does not take his meds. i've considered putting him in group home for his well being but he is adamently aganist the idea. i am at my wits end about what to do with the situation

Last edited by creelady2121; 06-07-2006 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: missed words
creelady2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by creelady2121
i really truly want him to manage his own affairs but he is not capable when he does not take his meds. i've considered putting him in group home for his well being but he is adamently aganist the idea. i am at my wits end about what to do with the situation
I dealt with this disease close up and personal during a 16 year marriage.... and had to admit it would take someone stronger than me to deal with someone who would not take their meds and resorted to alcohol instead. We went the whole route - counseling, shrinks, alcohol treatment, 12 step programs... nothing worked.

I finally called her Dad and told him to come get her after she tried getting drunk on vanilla and other extracts from the pantry and broke nearly everything in the house while I was at work. I speak with my ex-in-laws often, they had her committed and it is probably the only reason she's alive as she seems to have no interest in doing the things that will help her.

Creelady, my prayers are with you. I hope your brother can find the right road and starts taking his meds again.

~b2w
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

crowtribe is a splendid one to beholdcrowtribe is a splendid one to beholdcrowtribe is a splendid one to behold
I think my sister in law has a mild case of bi-polar. what are the symptom of this disease? And what can i do to help her? Alot of people have been telling me that and i brought it up to her but she refusses to believe it. I just want to help her,yah know?
crowtribe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtribe
I think my sister in law has a mild case of bi-polar. what are the symptom of this disease? And what can i do to help her? Alot of people have been telling me that and i brought it up to her but she refusses to believe it. I just want to help her,yah know?
There are many different "symptoms" but only a doctor (after taking a complete history and running blood work tests) can make a diagnosis.

If you want to learn about bipolar disorders try here:

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/bpbasics...0_whatisbp.htm

~b2w
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links