PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Health Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/)
-   -   Cholesterol (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/cholesterol-26233/)

White_Shield 04-25-2005 06:04 AM

Cholesterol

I was wondering?
1. How many people monitor their Cholesterol?
2. How informed are we about the effects that Cholesterol has on our bodies.
3. Are we telling our loved ones to check their Cholesterol?

little wolf 04-26-2005 08:40 PM

Mine was 305! Doc put me on lipitor and it went down to 135...

White_Shield 05-02-2005 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little wolf
Mine was 305! Doc put me on lipitor and it went down to 135...

Congratulations Little Wolf !! Your well on your way to a longer, healthier, happier life.

~pathwalker~ 06-16-2005 11:02 AM

I just got diagnozed with high cholesterol, I actually found a book in the check-out line at walmart that is called: High cholesterol for Dummies. I havent read it yet, dont know anything about it at all. Mine went from around 130 to 270 in a month. I dont know anything about what it can do to you, why its important or anything, not even what foods are high in it. Its all new to me.

White_Shield 06-16-2005 05:21 PM

why its important or anything "Cholesterol"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
I just got diagnozed with high cholesterol, I actually found a book in the check-out line at walmart that is called: High cholesterol for Dummies. I havent read it yet, dont know anything about it at all. Mine went from around 130 to 270 in a month. I dont know anything about what it can do to you, why its important or anything, not even what foods are high in it. Its all new to me.

PW for starters. It is a good thing you have found your Cholesterol numbers. I started to watch my Cholesterol numbers about 5 years back. When my co-workers were all talking about it, I didn't know much about it back then. Like most people. In this day and age. Too many Native People are loosing their lives at a young age. Because of not taking care of theirselves. Untreated and forgotten about, high Cholesterol can lead to hardening of the arteries and a possible terrible way of life. My mother suffered a slight stroke at the age of 63 due to clogging of the arteries. Doctors later found she had a very high Cholesterol level including high blood pressure. Her arteries were so clogged what her heart was pumping harder to get blood to her brain. Which at that time wasn't getting enough. Which lead to her stroke and high blood pressure. The White Man has strong medicine. He can gives you a prescription to take care of high Cholesterol. Like my mother and many others.

Not all Cholesterol is bad tho. Good Cholesterol(HDL- High-density lipoproteins)will help to remove the bad Cholesterol(LDL- Low-density lipoproteins). Our bodies do need some fats, to help our bodies function the best it can. We need to give it as much HDL's as possible tho. HDL is in Olive oils, Cold water fishes (Salmon, Cod etc.) green leafy vegtables, Oatmeal and the such. I found that Diet is easier to change over a gradual period of time. You and your families taste buds will have to adjust from your current style of eating. Believe me It is much better in the long run. I'll make more post about Cholesterol basics for everyone to read.

I have found that while making my own healthy changes. To include all the people I love to Enjoy your Family and Friends for a long time.
~Be Blessed ~

White_Shield 06-16-2005 05:26 PM

High Cholesterol

Everyone needs fat for his or her body to run efficiently. Cholesterol is very important for your cells to perform properly. Without some fat in your body, you are depriving your body of essential building blocks. When a person gets too much fat it is known as high cholesterol. People with high cholesterol have plaque build up in the arteries which causes them to narrow and weaken. When your arteries narrow, they have a hard time getting blood to your vital organs which can lead to heart disease, hardening of the arteries and other serious conditions. It is estimated that one in five adults suffer from high cholesterol.

What is Normal Cholesterol?
According to The National Cholesterol Education Program, if your total number is above 240 you have high cholesterol. If you have a level between 200-239 you have borderline high cholesterol. Your physician may choose to treat it before it gets higher. Any reading above 200 increases your risk for heart disease. Your physician may decide to recommend diet and exercise first to see how much it decreases. If there isn’t a significant decrease, medication may be required. Cholesterol levels can only be measured through a blood test. If you feel you are at risk for this condition please ask your doctor to check your levels. It is recommended that everyone get his or her cholesterol levels checked every five years.

Good Cholesterol VS Bad Cholesterol
There are two numbers you have to be concerned with when evaluating your levels. In simple terms, one is good cholesterol and the other is bad cholesterol. The number that refers to your HDL is considered your good cholesterol. High-density lipoproteins (HDL) refer to the lipoprotein that carries some cholesterol into your bloodstream. HDL is considered good cholesterol because unlike the bad, it doesn’t stay in the body. HDL actually helps to prevent the build up of plaque in your arteries. Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) carry most of the cholesterol. These lipoproteins do not leave the body and can clog your arteries and lead to disease. Your desirable HDL would be 35 or above. Your desirable LDL would be less than 130. For a more detailed explanation check with your physician.
Risk Factors
Some people are more susceptible to high cholesterol. Genetics can play a significant role. If you have a family history of high cholesterol, heart attacks and diabetes, you may be more at risk than the average person. Another factor in reducing cholesterol is your weight. People that are obese are at greater risk. High fat intake significantly will increase your chances of high cholesterol. If you smoke at all or drink alcohol in excess, your chances are greater. If you suffer from Hyperlipidemia, a condition that is caused by excess fat in the blood, again you are in the high-risk category. Certain drugs such as estrogen, birth control pills and corticosteroids are risk factors also.

Prevention
Here are some simple tips that can aid in the reduction of high cholesterol.
• Reduce your fat intake. Try eating more fresh vegetables and decreasing foods such as egg yolks, beef, pork, organ meats, lamb, certain types of oil such as coconut and palm. Be sure to check food labels. Processed foods such as cookies, cakes etc., are usually loaded with bad oils. Look for foods that are low in saturated fats and low in
sodium and cholesterol.

• Exercise is also very important in the reduction of cholesterol levels. Try walking for a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

• Give up smoking and stay out of smoke filled environments. Second hand smoke can
increase your risk just as much as if you were the one smoking.

• Take your blood pressure on a regular basis.

Watch your alcohol intake. Anything over 2 drinks a day increases your risk.

• Mental stress can be a contributing factor. Learn to relax.

• A condition called Hyperlipidemia caused by excess fatty substances in the blood
will raise your risk for heart disease.

• Diabetic patients are more at risk. If diabetes runs in your family get tested so you can
take control early.

Treatment
High cholesterol is usually treated with diet, exercise and sometimes medication. Your doctor will want you to have your levels checked every three months to see if your cholesterol has improved. A simple blood test will be administered to check for liver complications due to some statin drugs.

<!-- END MAIN CONTENT --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

~pathwalker~ 06-16-2005 11:21 PM

Thank you for posting this info. I have a book in my room, but read the info you have given immediatly, Now thats bad. lol... Anyway, I think my prob may be the Aktins diet. Lots of meats, no carbs. I keep a low weight with it but I can adjust it with the fish and more leafy vegatables, since I get blood tests for it all the time and it just recently became a problem. I think the transition will be smoother. Thanks again. If you have any suggestions on meal plans, that would be great.

White_Shield 06-17-2005 03:04 AM

"prob may be the Aktins diet"

Here is another copy and paste information. Which is how we all learn.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/hl/nutr/food/alert11202001.jsp

Weighing Atkins Diet Pros and Cons
By Louis Neipris, M.D., HealthAtoZ writer

The famous Atkins diet has been around for years. However, the medical establishment is hardly about to embrace this diet of low carbohydrate, high protein and high fat. The results of many studies, including two published in the New England Journal of Medicine, and intense news coverage have still not resolved the differences of opinion. Why all the continued fuss? People lose weight, and even increased the good cholesterol after being on the Atkins diet. However, long-term success is unproven. Also, the diet may be risky.

What is the Atkins diet?
The Atkins diet reduces carbohydrates while curbing hunger with fulfilling food choices. Appetizing alternatives, high in protein-and fat-replace the calories from carbohydrates. You use stored energy by "burning" fat without going hungry. There are four phases: induction, on-going weight loss, pre maintenance and maintenance. Induction is a 14-day period when carbohydrates are limited to 20 percent of total calories; the dieter is advised to eat a liberal amount of protein and fat. Atkins proponents claim the body goes into a mild ketosis using fat, instead of the usual carbohydrate, for energy. During the next three phases, carbohydrates are reintroduced, with emphasis on the nutrient rich, whole grain, low-calorie sources.

Long-term benefits are questionable
Recent studies show promising results. However, researchers did not demonstrate long-term benefits or risks. Two studies in May 2003 in the New England Journal of Medicine showed carbohydrate-restricted diet produced weight loss and improved lipid profiles compared to typical dieters who followed calorie-restricted, low-fat diets. The "good" cholesterol increased and triglycerides were lowered. One study followed people for six months, while the other followed subjects over a year.

Potential health risks
The health risk of low-carbohydrate high-protein dieting is probably not from burning fat. Rather, the alternatives, though appetizing, lead to unhealthy eating habits.

High fat is not heart healthy. Atkins food choices do not reflect American Heart Association guidelines, which calls for a reduction of fat to 30 percent of total calories a day, and to limit that to mostly unsaturated fats. Since proteins and animal fat go hand in hand, Atkins dieters tend to increase saturated fats, which puts them at risk for coronary artery disease and heart attacks.

High protein diets stress the kidneys. Studies show the kidneys work harder to process proteins broken down in dieters on a high-protein diet. This puts them at risk for kidney disease, as well as gout.

If you need to lose more weight - especially if you are obese -- work with your doctor and a licensed nutritionist. Following an exercise program is a key ingredient to any successful weight loss program.

~pathwalker~ 06-17-2005 03:12 AM

Thanx, Very interesting! I thought that might be the answer. You have been an eye-opener for me. Thank you soooo much!