Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Donating Blood?? Donating Blood??

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
is a talking Magpie

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Donating Blood??

ever since my mom wuz in the hospital 2 days before xmuss and given blood...i've been seriously considering donating blood...i hear commercials for blood drives all the time here but wuz always afraid to do it...not to mention i'd be siouxpurr afraid to get blood in return...but this blood they gave my mom helped her so much that i'm willing to reconsider...

my question is have any of u given blood?? since i know the pros...any cons??

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic
wannabeUrNo1Snag is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

Lapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond repute
I have been giving blood since 1994, primarily b/c I have the universal donor type of O-. Good for everyone else except me b/c I can only take O-. I just think about me being in a situation and needing blood, but there is none for me. I do not find any cons in giving blood at all. But, I am not afraid of needles or either. You will hear stories of people saying that they pass out, it hurting, bruising, etc. This varies from person to person and has a lot of factors such as, did they eat well that day, if their iron levels at good, and did they follow all the instructions after they give, what kinds of veins they have. I think that everyone should at least try it once b/c you really do save lives. There is such a blood shortage now and after major things such as 911, Katrina, etc., things are even worse.

Just remember to eat well on the day that you are planning to do it. Don't go in if you are sick with cold or virus. Take your time getting up when done. Eat the goodies that they give you afterwards. And take the rest of that day to rest if you can. Ask as many questions as you need to to feel comfortable. That's what they are there for.

One last thing, I understand your concern about receiving blood. If you feel that strongly, you can always go and donate some of your own blood prior to a procedure that you know in advance that you will be having. That way you can't be afraid of anything that you are getting. I was advised to do that when I found out that I was O-.

Just a few words to chew on.

LQ
Lapis Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
JIMMY HENDRIX ROYALTY

NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
i have a rare blood type and it is always in short supply.. i get a call once a month from the red cross to donate..i have donated for years..everything that lapis queen said will make the experience that much easier on the donor and make it a good experience all around..
Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
when i first donated blood i was nervous. i didn't donated because someone in my family needed blood. i donated just because i wanted to. i donated about 4 times a year.

before mom had her hip replacement, she had donated a pint or two of her own blood to be gven to her during her surgery. that was done thru the Red Cross.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
little bird

little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
I donated at the Red Cross Van last Sunday 3/5/06. They told me that their greatest need was for 0 negative blood. I'm A positive.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Hurricane Alley

yellowhawk is a jewel in the rough
Donating blood is as easy and safe as going to the bathroom. I been doing it for Lord knows how many years.Ever time they draw blood ever thing they use is new. I'm O-Negative and in Southeastern US I think I on everybodies call list to my cell phone number when they need O Negative.Got caught once giving blood twice at the same hospital in a 3 week peroid. Hey,it was for a baby,what they think I was going to say, Sorry can't come ?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
little bird

little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
AAwww! That was nice YH! Did it make you sick donateing twice?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
Hurricane Alley

yellowhawk is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird
AAwww! That was nice YH! Did it make you sick donateing twice?

Didn't bother me.Course I wouldn't recommend donating every 3 weeks.I didn't donate again for 5 weeks afterward that 1 to build back up some.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
little bird

They told me that the Hispanic and Asian communities have alot of 0 negative blood, but some won't donate because they're superstious.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
Dog is my copilot

Native Disc Dogger has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 1,100.00
I really believe in donating blood but I haven't done it in awhile. Thanks for reminding me. I do pass out if I SEE my own blood. Animals and other people's blood doesn't bother me, it's just seeing my own blood being taken that makes me quezy.
Native Disc Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
Banned

indian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud of
Hello to all,

looong time ago, I had an OP at my kidneys-twice! It lasted about 6,5 hours and was rather dangerous for me. After that I was not allowed to donate my blood A+ for a few years.

Then I got my doc's okay to do it 4 times a year.

Last year I got a few tat2'sessions'
(all together it lasted 18 hours, from my right shoulder to my left foot, only black and grey-without allergical providing red or yellow colors) ,

and my inker told me not to donate blood for two years!?!?!?

Does anybody know more about small or large, black or colored tat2s
and donating blood???
My inker was not able to explain it to me.

Maybe you've got the answer?

Last edited by indian-heart-beat; 03-14-2006 at 09:19 AM..
indian-heart-beat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
is a talking Magpie

wannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird
They told me that the Hispanic and Asian communities have alot of 0 negative blood, but some won't donate because they're superstious.

u knocking people who have certain beliefs towards donating??

Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #13
Banned

indian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud of
Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian-heart-beat
Hello to all,

looong time ago, I had an OP at my kidneys-twice! It lasted about 6,5 hours and was rather dangerous for me. After that I was not allowed to donate my blood A+ for a few years.

Then I got my doc's okay to do it 4 times a year.

Last year I got a few tat2'sessions'
(all together it lasted 18 hours, from my right shoulder to my left foot, only black and grey-without allergical providing red or yellow colors) ,

and my inker told me not to donate blood for two years!?!?!?

Does anybody know more about small or large, black or colored tat2s
and donating blood???
My inker was not able to explain it to me.

Maybe you've got the answer?

Oooops, I've forgotten to tell you pros and cons- my opinion:

Pros:
You can really help somebody!
You can save somebodies life!
You've got a feeling to have done something right!
It is easy.
It is safe.
You get to know your hb and your blood-type(sorry, I'm German)

Cons:
It just hurts a bit- just relax and breathe.
You better do no hard sports that day.

Last edited by indian-heart-beat; 03-14-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeUrNo1Snag
u knocking people who have certain beliefs towards donating??
Sorry, I can only tell you about Germany:
I know two religious groups as there are
#Zeugen Jehovas
#7 Tage Adventisten.
I cannot tell you the reasons. There is no contact. They have built their own schools and are not allowed to go to the doctor's,...

Hope you don't mind me answering...

Last edited by indian-heart-beat; 03-14-2006 at 09:22 AM..
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
is a talking Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian-heart-beat
Sorry, I can only tell you about Germany:
I know two religious groups as there are
#Zeugen Jehovas
#7 Tage Adventisten.
I cannot tell you the reasons. There is no contact. They have built their own schools and are not allowed to go to the doctor's,...

Hope you don't mind me answering...
not at all...i just don't think religious groups or what have you should be given a hard time because donating blood isn't their thing...thanks for pointing out those that might have an issue with it...
i found your post about tattooing an donating interesting...i know a tattoo artist and will ask him if hes heard of this..will get back to you when i find out his input on it

Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:

Wannabe,

Yes I have given blood.

Pros - I hope somebody in a life threatening situation benefited.

Con - I hope whoever the person that got my blood doesn't take a DNA test and now claim proof to have Indian ancestry.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Banned

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
Senior Dancer

debbieyd is a name known to all
Lightbulb Gave blood this past saturday for a bone marrow drive

Quote:
ever since my mom wuz in the hospital 2 days before xmuss and given blood...i've been seriously considering donating blood...i hear commercials for blood drives all the time here but wuz always afraid to do it...not to mention i'd be siouxpurr afraid to get blood in return...but this blood they gave my mom helped her so much that i'm willing to reconsider...

I gave blood and if you think about it too hard, the poke of the needle hurts more than it does! Just don't think about it!?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
Senior Dancer

debbieyd is a name known to all
Unhappy D N A . . .hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Wannabe,

Yes I have given blood.

Pros - I hope somebody in a life threatening situation benefited.

Con - I hope whoever the person that got my blood doesn't take a DNA test and now claim proof to have Indian ancestry.
that's what happened to me, and it was just for the reason dna, I hope they aren't crooked and use it any other way?? I trusted those people because it was for a good cause.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieyd
.... I trusted those people because it was for a good cause.

I wonder if it can really happen?

Say a nonIndian gets two pints of your blood. Two weeks later they decide to get a DNA test to see if they have any Indian blood.

Will your blood DNA show up in their test as positive????

I wonder if anyone ever thought of this before?