Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Free Condoms at Pow-Wows Free Condoms at Pow-Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation Free Condoms at Pow-Wows

Before freaking out on me, just hear me out...

When I went to the Menominee Nations Annual last year, there was a booth right near the "Bowl" that was trying to educate people about STDs. They had small bags on their table that had condoms in them. I asked them if they were free, they replied yes. So I nabbed a bag! I thought cool man!
They also had a TV/VCR with a video running about STD's.

( I used to be a STD Counselor for the Navy at Boot Camp )
I saw young people from all walks of life and the whole Crayola Box. STD's aren't going away folks. Even if you don't believe in them, they definitely believe in you! Ok with that said...

I know that saving yourself is one of the foundations of many Traditional Beliefs among our people. And that children are a gift from the Creator etc. But STD's aren't. Nor is not living up to your full potential. I'm not against having children. I'm against having sex foolishly. I'm no moron; young people in our community have sex at very young ages. Like middle school. But man, ok fine then lets educate these young people on why they should wear condoms besides the prevention of having children.

Lots of young mothers have so much potential of doing something more with their lives. As in furthering their education, instead of becoming a statistic. There is so much out there for us, but if our young mothers get pregnant at early ages, there is so much less of a chance that they will go on to higher educations. Hell even finish High School or get their GED/HSED for that matter.

That is the point I'm trying to make.
Condoms Save Potential as Well As Lives.

I think it is a great idea to have condoms at powwows. Why not????? We all know that people are snaggin all across Turtle Island. Why not give them means to protect themselves from unwanted childbirth and STD's??? We all know someone or are related to someone who has had a kid when they were in High School.

Of course perhaps our people are just being foolish and acting in very high risk behaviors and not caring. Maybe that's it? But what it really all boils down to is:

IT'S UP THE THE INDIVIDUAL TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY OF THEIR OWN BODY AND HEALTH. IF YOU ENGAGE IN HIGH RISK BEHAVIOR, BE READY TO ACCEPT WHAT FOLLOWS. BE IT A CHILD, A STD OR BOTH. OR AIDS.

PERHAPS PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT HERPES AND SYPHILIS AND HPV(GENITAL WARTS) DON'T HAVE ANY KNOWN CURE EITHER...

I want to apologize to my Elders if I have offended any of you by what I have written here. And anybody else for that matter. I just feel very very strongly about this issue and I've counseled soooo many young people who's lives were destroyed by STD's and Rape and ironically enough having a Child with a Good for Nothing Father...

I'm all for having a booth set up at powwows to educate people about STD's, At Risk Behaviors and Free Condoms. Cuz if people are going to have sex, at least we can educate them and hope they make the right choices for themselves...
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
~Pwowfeva~

amarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, I agree with you. I was just talking to a younger friend of mine that is being very irresponsible about her love life and having unprotected sex. It's so frustrating trying to warn her about what can happen when you don't protect yourself. She already has kids. Some people just have to learn the hard way.
amarie49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
I agree too.. We have to do sumthing about keeping our young while they young .. ya know what i mean? bring out thier potential, not that just of making babies, and harming thier own bodies. Need to remind our young what life is really about, about Living, using all that creator (god) gave us in a good way. By doing that we show that them that they are loved as human beings.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
Savings: 1.00
i totally agree with the giving of condoms out at pow wows - and other events where there may be a lot of "socializing" of all forms.

i work at a non-profit organization for those with HIV/AIDS. over the last few years, i have seen a change in the typical HIV+ person. when i first started at the center, the average age was 35. now its around 50. there are a few new cases of those under 30, but most of the people i see are over 45.

i think as a suggestion, be aware of your status of any STD, not just HIV. some STD's can incubate for years before one starts showing any symptom.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Powwow Up!!

Sweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,913.85
I totally agree with everything that y'all have stated so far. This topic concerns me more now that my eldest daughter is at the age. I just want her to be safe & to be aware that she does have a choice in protecting herself. I know this is a touchy subject & may offend some people but I would rather see my daughter finish her education & protect her health and also not just become a statistic.

But Boss, I am working!!......on finding my next pow-wow that is!
Sweetsage02 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
commander bun-bun

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Hi everyone OneidaDreamer that is a Brillant Idea...
As far as I can remember I have been giving out condoms to young kids+ my own when all of my boys started to become interested in girls I would give them a box of condoms & I would tell them never go ther with being prepaired you can get deseases or a girl pregnant & I don't want to be a grandma at this time, also it wouldn't hurt to pratice putting them on. About a month ago I was putting money in my 14 yr old son's wallet & I found a condom in it I asked him how long has it been there? he said I don't know, well I told him thay they break down after a while you need to get a new one.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
There's been condoms given out at a couple powwows around here. They ended up all over though. The kids were playing with them and the place pretty much got littered with condoms. Kinda gross. That was several years ago and I haven't noticed them doing that any more.

I do believe that it's a good idea to educate kids young.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
>>+<<YESENIA HILL>>+<<

southernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond repute
southernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 0.05
yeah i would have to agree i mean i am stil young so i know whats it feels like to have all of this goin on... i look at and i'm just like u can have fun and whats ever with not even knowin what ur doin til its done and over with.....but passinng out condoms will probably help..but who knows some poeple just don't think something like this will never happen 2 them....

but that is all i relly got to say about this
Violets der really blue
Southern Xtreme ur much sweeter than mutton stew

You asked me whose life was more important- yours or mine and I answered "mine" ; you walked away angry not knowing that you are my life

I MY STONEY CREEK BOYZ
southernx_hunnie08 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Im for it as well, I went to one and there was a booth set up talking of this and the MC talked to the crowd about the booth and he said take a look , talk with the people running it, dont waste the packages if you dont think you could really use it either leave it there or pass it to someone who can!
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 12,610.76
"Wrap ur Willy b4 u get silly"

Free Condoms are always a good thing...those buggers are expensive

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
"Wrap ur Willy b4 u get silly"

Free Condoms are always a good thing...those buggers are expensive
That's right, they are expensive.

It can be embarassing for the younger guys to buy 'em-why not hand them out..
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Dang!

I think that's a farce! Why the hell not be PROUD!

I'm so friggn proud, that I have to go get more condoms at Wal-Mart (cuz we get tax free, cuz dats how Oneida Nation Wisconsin Rolls!) I'm just beaming! I buy the biggest box of Trojans or whatever is on sale at the time!

And I usually have another product thats a friend to intimacy too! And I am just so proud! I'm just giddy that I have to get more!

Safe Sex is so in, in my book! Too many lives are affected adversely by unwanted pregnancy danmit! It's so simple a task, yet so daunting and alien to protect yourself and your partner/s.

WAKE THE HELL UP PEOPLE!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
i remember i was at a pow wow last year, i had some condoms packed in my backpack. this young guy wanted me to introduce him to this young thing. i said i would but before doing so, i gave him a couple of condoms before doing so. don't know if they were intimate or not, but he was prepared just in case.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

So condoms are expensive eh? I don't suppose the new F#cking Air Jordan's aren't? Young people have some jacked up priorities. Babies cost way more than some snazzy pair of Nikes my friends.

Wrap your foot in some rubber and not your weasel huh? Lets just forgive them then. Oh my friggn badd. Sorry for caring about our people's future.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #15
commander bun-bun

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Oneida I don't think BEGS was saying she's not going to buy them it's juet they can be expensive, but a child is much more costly. you can buy a but load of condoms at wally mart with wall mart brand, I had a friend die of Aids it's not pretty, yeah so I teach my children about condoms & safe sex & buy then condoms & what ever they need

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

Talking

Ginger you are right. I was trying to make a point, I think I flew off the handle a little bit there. BEGS was just givin her 2 cents.

Chriiii I can be so dang self righteous some times. Glad Ginger's woman enough to tell me to pump tha breaks. I just get so wound up sometimes. Happy safe sex ya'll!

I'll go lay by my dish now. LOL
Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #17

*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
whoa...u were goin off on me??? wtf?? i didnt know...better watch yer step boy...ill slap u silly

*Kalilsha*

Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 AM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

I'll Slap You Silly!!!!

Quote:
whoa...u were goin off on me??? wtf?? i didnt know...better watch yer step boy...ill slap u silly

I have no doubt you would Brown Eyed Gurl! LOL!
I will yeild to the medicine of Brown Eyed Gurl. aye
Slap Me Silly huh? Sounds like a promise aye!

Last edited by OneidaDreamer; 04-30-2007 at 03:14 AM..
OneidaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 AM   #19

*Kalilsha*

Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

Unhappy

Quote:

I actually went off on tsuj510. But I still accept your electronic sillly slapping.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. That's the last thing I'm trying to do on here. I want to attract allies not alienate them.

Peace Ya'll