PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Health Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/)
-   -   Important new research on RA, thyroid, diabetes, heart, autoimmune disease (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/important-new-research-ra-thyroid-diabetes-heart-autoimmune-disease-62411/)

muskrat_skull 02-10-2012 04:22 PM

Important new research on RA, thyroid, diabetes, heart, autoimmune disease

Hi--
I put this is in a new thread because I think it is very important to the health of everyone. For the past few years, the National Institute of Health has been very concerned about the rise in autoimmune problems--from diabetes, to all the autoimmune disease like RA, Sjogrens, lupus, ms, hashimoto's hypothyroid, vitiligo and connective tissue diseases. It has developed the theory that because so many people develop many of these conditions after the onset of just one, that these diseases are merely different presentations of the same fundamental problem--autoimmune disregulation--your immune system attacks your own cells instead of or while fighting infection.

To study these diseases under this hypothesis, it came up with an agency called NIAID--I think its National Institute of Auto Immune Diseases or some such thing. A lot of its research is based on a two pronged approach.
1. that you may have genes that predispose you to certain health problems
2. that an infectious disease or diseases or other trauma triggers these diseases to start

Recently, there has been a lot of interest in periodontal disease, which is prevalent in most people to some degree, if not all, that have these autoimmune conditions.

1. Periodontal disease significantly contributes to the start of cardiovascular disease and heart attack--the infection leaks into your bloodstream, is carried to the liver which releases CRP and other antibodies that attack the blood vessels and cause them to line themselves with plaque. Periodontists and doctors both realize that dental care may be as or more important than losing weight and lowering cholesterol in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease.

2. Since this infection is causing the release of CRP from the liver and other autoantibodies, studies are showing links between these dental infections and rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disease.

3. There are firm links between sjogrens and scleroderma and periodontal disease.

In other words, these low grade, on-going infections that we get in our teeth and gums that we may or may not even be aware of may be triggering horrible debilitating autoimmune diseases! It might be that if one could get dental infection under control that the immune system would repair itself eventually. People who get lupus from implants have their lupus "cured" by removing the implant, and often they are really sick.

I think this is the most important research that has been done in a long time. I hope this helps someone, I know I'm taking this very seriously.

If you are interested in reading abstracts from the many studies on this subject, here is the one on RA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990988/
Once you are in the database, you can click the search button on the right to search on "periodontal disease and thyroid" or whatever else you are interested in.

My dad's periodontist told him that rinsing with a plaque removing mouthwash like plax (most mouthwashes are NOT plaque removing) and using a water pix to clean gums really helps alot and was what the periodontist himself did. I have found it to be true for myself.

wyo_rose 02-11-2012 11:55 AM

Yep, a water pik is the BEST thing. I use a 50/50 mixture of Listerine/water in mine.

The IHS dentist says I have the BESTEST gums he's seen. :tongue: HONEST!!

I'm glad to hear clearing up periodonitis helps with disease prevention, plus I want to keep my teeth as long as my mom did - 84 years +

yaahl 02-11-2012 01:40 PM

I've often wondered if the increase of AI diseases can also be attributed to an increase in body art/tattooing/piercings.

muskrat_skull 02-12-2012 02:38 PM

Yeah any repeated or long term infection can lead to serious illness like cancer and autoimmune problems. Commercial hair color is well-known to cause vitiligo, an autoimmune skin disease and usually once people get that, they develop other problems. The natural haircolors like henna, vegetable color, or the kind in the health food store are supposed to be okay. The peroxide bleach and ammonia is bad.

This discovery is great because it may be curative...and not a prescription. No wonder the medical and pharmaceutical companies don't want us to know!!! they get a lot of money for those cancer drugs they use on autoimmune disease. Also, the cancer drugs make the infection worse, driving up medical costs. Many people with autoimmune disease die from infections and problems from the drugs they take.

wyo_rose, thanks for the tip on the listerine. Probably keeps the device clean as well! That waterpik is supposed to be the only thing that cleans 100% of the periodontal space between the gums and teeth. My mom let dentists drill out my teeth bad. My son has only one filling and he wouldn't have that if it was up to me and healthier teeth.

yaahl 02-12-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1514671)
Yeah any repeated or long term infection can lead to serious illness like cancer and autoimmune problems. Commercial hair color is well-known to cause vitiligo, an autoimmune skin disease and usually once people get that, they develop other problems. The natural haircolors like henna, vegetable color, or the kind in the health food store are supposed to be okay. The peroxide bleach and ammonia is bad.

This discovery is great because it may be curative...and not a prescription. No wonder the medical and pharmaceutical companies don't want us to know!!! they get a lot of money for those cancer drugs they use on autoimmune disease. Also, the cancer drugs make the infection worse, driving up medical costs. Many people with autoimmune disease die from infections and problems from the drugs they take.

wyo_rose, thanks for the tip on the listerine. Probably keeps the device clean as well! That waterpik is supposed to be the only thing that cleans 100% of the periodontal space between the gums and teeth. My mom let dentists drill out my teeth bad. My son has only one filling and he wouldn't have that if it was up to me and healthier teeth.

You can also get a moutwash from the dentist (RX) called Peridex. It really helps gum problems and works great in the waterpik.

wyo_rose 02-13-2012 11:24 AM

I still have my same waterpik from 12 years ago. The directions suggested using an antibacterial mouthwash 50% with water, then to rinse it afterwards by running pure water thru it, and that will prolong the life of the appliance.

So I faithfully do that at least once a week, and the waterpik (and my gums :tongue:) is still going strong.

LISA IRONMAKER 02-13-2012 03:20 PM

Interesting thx for the tip!!