Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Native Super Foods Native Super Foods

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Native Super Foods

This message is reprinted under the Fair Use
Doctrine of International Copyright Law:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096409679

Native Super Foods And Healing Ways

Posted: October 12, 2004
by: Brenda Norrell / Indian Country Today

Click to Enlarge

Illustration by Robert W. Hines/courtesy U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. - A new book on ''superfoods'' encourages eating 14 foods
to revolutionize a person's health, including traditional Native foods
including beans, pumpkin and salmon.

Native healers, however, say food is only one ingredient on the path to good
health, which depends on the balance and harmony of body, mind and spirit. For
instance, research scientists have proven that the beat of a drum in a
traditional Native ceremony leads the brain to deeper alpha waves and makes more
profound thinking and learning possible.

Recently, author and physician Dr. Steven Pratt released ''Superfoods Rx:
Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life.'' The book recommends a diet packed
with beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats, oranges, pumpkin, wild salmon, soy,
spinach, tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts and yogurt.

Pratt points out that the foods actually represent categories. For instance,
salmon, rich in omega-3 fatty acids to lower blood pressure, is in the group
with tuna and trout. Blueberries and strawberries share the same health-giving
nutrients.

In the Navajo way, however, food alone does not produce health, which depends
on harmony and balance of body, mind and spirit.

Hualapai medical doctor Frank Clarke pioneered scientific research showing
the healing benefits of traditional healing ways of Navajos and other Indian
tribes, including sweats, herbs, running and even a plunge in the snow at dawn.

Dr. Clarke said holistic health is nothing new to Indian people. Din? singers
(medicine men) have long known what modern science only recently discovered,
it is impossible to heal a person without treating the entire human being -
body, mind and spirit.

Clarke said science confirms that sweats are among the most beneficial
practices for good health. Sweats rid the body of salt and also of hormones such as
adrenalin, which results in the ''flight or fight'' and fear response.

Adrenalin makes the heart beat faster and blood sugar rise. When the body is
cleansed during the sweat, body processes normally decline, such as blood
pressure, pulse rate and breathing. When the body is cleansed, the mind can think
clearly and profoundly.

''It allows individuals to tap into their inner core and make contact with
the Supreme Being,'' Clarke said, during his research in the 1980s. ''The mind
does the thinking and reasoning, the spirit is our claim to immortality.''

While most people are aware of the body's need for oxygen and food, fewer
people realize the spirit's need for meditation, he said. Unless the needs of the
body, mind and spirit are met - there is an imbalance. The mind needs
discipline, knowledge, freedom and security. The spirit needs self-worth, belonging,
faith and fun.

Clarke said modern medicine has finally discovered the concept of faith.
Research concludes that patients must have faith in the healer, the procedure and
themselves to be healed. Among the most profound scientific proof of the
healing force of traditional ways, is the effect of the chant, drum and rattle.

Clarke said the rhythmic beat of a rattle or drum affects the body. The heart
rate, speed of circulation and brain waves are actually changed by the
rhythmic beat that accompanies chants. The beats slow the inner rhythms of the body
and make clear thinking or meditation possible.

Research scientists have proven that drum beat or rhythm leads the brain to
deeper alpha waves and makes more profound thought possible for thinking and
learning. A medicine man is a true practitioner of holistic health, because he
treats the body, mind and spirit, he said.

Clarke said modern medical doctors are usually only the equivalent of a
traditional herbalist, a person who treats only the body.

The late Dan Deschinny of Oak Springs, spokesman for the Dineh Spiritual and
Cultural Society, said medicine men are actually singers. The singer leads the
patient to heal himself by singing the songs, with chants the singer has
spent lifetime learning.

Clarke said Navajos and Hopis have a practice of rolling in the snow early in
the morning. Canadian Natives, too, often throw cold water on themselves in
mornings.

Once again, modern science confirmed that providing the body with sudden cold
actually causes an increase in the white blood cell count. Those white blood
cells come to the rescue when the body's alarm signals a need for increased
resistance due to infection.

Navajos, too, remember the foods that gave them health before the U.S.
Calvary arrived with white flour and lard for fry bread, before trading posts sold
red soda pops and potato chips and long before U.S. commodity foods brought
fatty canned meats and depleted white starchy foods.

Rose Wauneka of Black Mountain remembered when there was plenty of goat's
milk to drink with bread made from ground corn. Blue corn was grown in the fields
for blue bread, dumplings and mush. Prairie dogs and rabbits were roasted,
and deer was hunted with prayer.

Katherine Arviso, department director for Navajo Foods and Nutrition in the
1970s, proved the dense nutritional content of traditional Navajo foods using
scientific analysis conducted by the University of Arizona.

Tumble mustard, Zuni Lake salt and corn silk were among 92 foods collected by
Arviso's program. Among the amazing findings was the calcium content of the
juniper wood ash added to blue corn meal mush; calcium was increased by 800
percent. The ash was made by burning juniper branches and passing the ashes
through a sieve.

Calcium was also found in good supply in dleesh (white clay) eaten ground
with wild potatoes or wolfberries. Calcium was abundant in wild greens, fresh
beeweed and Navajo spinach. Fresh squash blossoms stuffed with blue corn meal was
packed with nutrition, along with wild celery and onion soup and roasted
mutton.

The late Howard McKinley, nearly 100 years old when he passed to the spirit
world, remembered gathering wild yucca bananas from the hills and digging wild
potatoes in Tse Ho Tso (Fort Defiance.)

Marie Allen, too, remembered the stories of her grandmother, born in the fall
of 1868. She gathered wild foods in spring and early summer - mariposa
lilies, parsley, spinach, onion, wolfberries, currants, chokecherries and sumac
berries.

Meanwhile in the north, traditional Ojibwe tea has amazed Canadian
researchers who say it will slow and reverse the biological aging process. The herbal
tea became popular in the mainstream during the 1930s when Renee Caisse, a
nurse, used handpicked herbs and administered the tea to terminally ill patients
with amazing results.

The herbs used in the brewed tea are burdock root, sheep sorrell, slippery
elm bark, Turkish rhubarb, red clover herb, blessed thistle, kelp and
watercress.

In a study by the Russian Ministry of Health, Ojibwe tea was found to reduce
pain and increase immune cell production in Chernobyl victims suffering from
ulcers, chronic Hepatitis B and virus-induced cirrhosis of the liver.

In Washington state, David Wikenheiser, naturopathic doctor who researches
aging, said his study showed daily consumption of four ounces of the eight-herb
tea formula reduced the biological age of volunteers in a 15-person test group
by an average of 5.1 years.

''The combination of herbs in the tea formula produced a powerful
anti-oxidative effect,'' Wikenheiser said. ''Controlling oxidation and free radical
production within the body is the key to slowing and reversing the biological aging
process.''
Old 10-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
the four W's

I have a little girl that when she eats certain foods she goes wild, so i took her to a freind of mine that is a native counsellor dealing with children and youth, she had suggested to me that Native people and thier genetic make up is quite different than that of "white folk". She named the four whites... white flour, sugar, straches, and milk. Native people never had access to these kinds of things before we encountered the whites and now our people suffer many health problems due to them. I did the experiment my friend suggested and that was to cut those things out of her diet and let me tell you I saw the difference in her behaviour, she was more attentive, more calm and so on. I fed her soya milk took the sugar out of her diet and cut her of pop. we are both much happier and her health is great. I know that food alone cannot make you balanced all around but it plays an important part. I am sure glad I was able to talk to my freind and have her give me an alternative way rather than drugs such as ritalin and things that are suppose to help ADD. In My area so Many Native children are labbled ADD ADHD and even fetal alcohol and many times its the diet but techers want these kids fixed NOW and are too quick to make our children into Zombies. Dont get me wrong Im sure people have had sucess with such meds but it wasnt sumthing i was ready to put my child on before looking further into more natural remedies and all it took was an alteration in the diet. I even took a biology nutrition class and it confirmed what my friend told me and so now I am way more concience as to the way i shop when buying food for my children. I think sumtimes we look fer a difficult answers to our problems when all it is is simple and right in front of us.

BTW BlackBear I really enjoy your topics for your threads :) they are so insightful and really make ya think
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

Dyami has a reputation beyond repute
Dyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFeather
I have a little girl that when she eats certain foods she goes wild, so i took her to a freind of mine that is a native counsellor dealing with children and youth, she had suggested to me that Native people and thier genetic make up is quite different than that of "white folk". She named the four whites... white flour, sugar, straches, and milk. Native people never had access to these kinds of things before we encountered the whites and now our people suffer many health problems due to them. I did the experiment my friend suggested and that was to cut those things out of her diet and let me tell you I saw the difference in her behaviour, she was more attentive, more calm and so on. I fed her soya milk took the sugar out of her diet and cut her of pop. we are both much happier and her health is great. I know that food alone cannot make you balanced all around but it plays an important part. I am sure glad I was able to talk to my freind and have her give me an alternative way rather than drugs such as ritalin and things that are suppose to help ADD. In My area so Many Native children are labbled ADD ADHD and even fetal alcohol and many times its the diet but techers want these kids fixed NOW and are too quick to make our children into Zombies. Dont get me wrong Im sure people have had sucess with such meds but it wasnt sumthing i was ready to put my child on before looking further into more natural remedies and all it took was an alteration in the diet. I even took a biology nutrition class and it confirmed what my friend told me and so now I am way more concience as to the way i shop when buying food for my children. I think sumtimes we look fer a difficult answers to our problems when all it is is simple and right in front of us.

BTW BlackBear I really enjoy your topics for your threads :) they are so insightful and really make ya think
I agree with you about all of what you said, but I have tried the things you said , we don't buy white flour we always buy the wheat flour, extremely limits his sugar to almost none and he is not allowed pop at all, but he really loves milk and doesn't really care for soy milk much. What types of starches do you recommend me to cut out. I agree about the med's to cause I have seen so many kids acting like zombies,and there are to many different side effects. I want med's to be the last resort.
Dyami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Gail405 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say if your on commoditys, your looking at very obese(fat) partakers, of the commodities. We're not on them, but mother in law, got and got them and after she died, They were scattered to anyone that was hungery. They are only a stopgap for hunger. Although, many delight in being able to receive these commodities. The gov. in most cases, (documented as to need) are very willing to distribute them. Pop and it being now quite delectable red mountain dew. My daughter , older than my son I've written about another post is very obese, from Pepsi mainly. She just can't lose any weight. Myself I was under a ditician, nutrisionest of the VA. I can't eat anything that my family prepares. Because it is on her NO NO list for me. I slowly drop 4 or so pounds every 4 or so months. I was at 325. Not scaled lately. Last time I scaled I was below the 300 mark. I've not really been exposed to this natural food, as indicated in several posts. I'm curious if it would be valuable to me and my obese daughter also. We are far from a natural food store. I know very little about herbs or natural food that is available Ala nature. One time I did run across some selected herbal natural food statements, but It didn't tell how to identify these foods. I didn't note them down, and as my memory goes, I've lost the info. I tried to reconstruct the location of where I read about this info. Just can't remember. I know it was a book , but what book.? There lies my problem.GES
Gail405 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

Dyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail405
I'd say if your on commoditys, your looking at very obese(fat) partakers, of the commodities. We're not on them, but mother in law, got and got them and after she died, They were scattered to anyone that was hungery. They are only a stopgap for hunger. Although, many delight in being able to receive these commodities. The gov. in most cases, (documented as to need) are very willing to distribute them. Pop and it being now quite delectable red mountain dew. My daughter , older than my son I've written about another post is very obese, from Pepsi mainly. She just can't lose any weight. Myself I was under a ditician, nutrisionest of the VA. I can't eat anything that my family prepares. Because it is on her NO NO list for me. I slowly drop 4 or so pounds every 4 or so months. I was at 325. Not scaled lately. Last time I scaled I was below the 300 mark. I've not really been exposed to this natural food, as indicated in several posts. I'm curious if it would be valuable to me and my obese daughter also. We are far from a natural food store. I know very little about herbs or natural food that is available Ala nature. One time I did run across some selected herbal natural food statements, but It didn't tell how to identify these foods. I didn't note them down, and as my memory goes, I've lost the info. I tried to reconstruct the location of where I read about this info. Just can't remember. I know it was a book , but what book.? There lies my problem.GES
I do not get any commoditys, but I am trying to change his diet cause I want to try this an see if this will help with some of his behavior problems. I do not give him pop, limit juices, by wheat bread and flour, but don't know what other steps I should take, like what types of starches.
Well, done on the weight loss, I recently loss a lot of weight to and know how hard it can be especially if you have a thyroid that underactive, I have to workout almost everyday, and watch calories.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyami
I do not get any commoditys, but I am trying to change his diet cause I want to try this an see if this will help with some of his behavior problems. I do not give him pop, limit juices, by wheat bread and flour, but don't know what other steps I should take, like what types of starches.
Well, done on the weight loss, I recently loss a lot of weight to and know how hard it can be especially if you have a thyroid that underactive, I have to workout almost everyday, and watch calories.
Have you brought him to the Doctors to see if it is anything like Diabetes or other health probs? Just dont get sucked into them saying its ADD or ADHD.. they seem to like to use that as an excuse for alot of Children just being children...Have you sought a Nutritionist and maybe they can guide you to foods that would be beneficial, not saying put your child on diet or anything cause there are too many diets, but it could be alot of things like portion size too much of one food group over another etc.
pasta (whole wheat) is good fer kids rather than potatoes and rice, lots of fruits and veggies is good. Unfotunately i have noticed that eating WELL is for the WELL off.. if ya know what i mean, like fresh foods can get expensive ecspecially when they want ya to eat it 5 times a day and you have like 7 people in your house hold like I do...lol but i do the best i can and buy the on sale items.LOL.

Also, I was told kids dont eat the same time we adults do, they eat when they want and dont understand time.. So as long as your child is getting the main food groups and balanced with exercise than its all good. I use to think omg.. my kids eats & eats alllll day.. LOL but i was told it was ok as long it was nutrtious things.

But your doing good as fer eliminating the pop and juice high in sugar and fast foods, although it is easier to whip up something it can cause devastating effects on a child. I try and get creative with my kids meals and even get them to cook with me, prepare snacks that way they eat it for sure casue they know they helped make it. There are alot of great kids cook books out there just keep your eye out and beware of the sugars and high starch foods.

thats all I can say Im not an expert and I have learned alot by just experimenting with foods.

Oh and if he likes his milk keep giving it to him, just that most Natives in general cant handle milk.. I have a little one that loves her milk too the other kids i buy alot of milk products such as cheese and yogart

Last edited by AngelFeather; 11-23-2004 at 08:23 PM..
Old 11-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

To AngelFeather- Thanks for the info I am taking him to the doctors Monday and I will talk to the doctor about a lot of concerns I have. I will also have him tested for his thyroid and I never thought about it until you mentioned it but I will also have him tested for Diabetes cause it does run in my family too.
My kid loves his fruits and veggies and your right it can be very expensive, I try to get the frozen veggies cause they have less salt than the can ones and keep the can ones for the winter when there's so much snow everything is at a stand still.
My kid eats all day too like he's never full, but I try to keep healthy things for him to snack on.
Thanks again for all the advice I've gotten on this forum I'll let everyone know what happens after the doc appointment.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
Cloud Dancer

Quote:
To AngelFeather- Thanks for the info I am taking him to the doctors Monday and I will talk to the doctor about a lot of concerns I have. I will also have him tested for his thyroid and I never thought about it until you mentioned it but I will also have him tested for Diabetes cause it does run in my family too.
My kid loves his fruits and veggies and your right it can be very expensive, I try to get the frozen veggies cause they have less salt than the can ones and keep the can ones for the winter when there's so much snow everything is at a stand still.
My kid eats all day too like he's never full, but I try to keep healthy things for him to snack on.
Thanks again for all the advice I've gotten on this forum I'll let everyone know what happens after the doc appointment.
I hope all goes well fer ya and keep us posted about the results we may be able to learn from it . take care
Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

To angel Feather, and Dyami.I kept telling at the VA. Smaller portions, and juice as many times a day as I can get it. Small portions worked best for me. It was hard to keep telling them small portions. Finally they arrived.Their were other guys on the ward that had to ride a wheelchair because they were too fat. Some of them would take other patients food trays and eat them. And then ***** about the food. I told them the cook will quit, if you keep it up. She did too. Course I was gone already. Thyroid panels are worked up from blood draws. They are pretty expensive. Also kidney panels. They have a litmus test at 1 VA I had in Emergency room. This for diabetes. Usually a patient needs fast, and does a glucose type test for diabetes. You should check before going to the doc.Luck GES
Old 11-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Dancer

Thank you for the info( Gail405), I didn't know that you had to fast first for the diabetes test or forgot it's been a really long time, cause when I was pregnant with my kid they gave me this nasty tasting stuff saying it suppose to taste like cola, only in there dreams cause the stuff was horrible, but I knew about the thyroid test cause my mom and grandma had it done and I figured while the doctors are acting like vampires might as well get it all done at once, cause he is tested often for lead, cause of the area we live in some of the soil in the area contains it.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
Cloud Dancer

Quote:
Thank you for the info( Gail405), I didn't know that you had to fast first for the diabetes test or forgot it's been a really long time, cause when I was pregnant with my kid they gave me this nasty tasting stuff saying it suppose to taste like cola, only in there dreams cause the stuff was horrible, but I knew about the thyroid test cause my mom and grandma had it done and I figured while the doctors are acting like vampires might as well get it all done at once, cause he is tested often for lead, cause of the area we live in some of the soil in the area contains it.

LOL yeah I had the Diabetes test too when i preggo, and hell no it didnt taste like orange pop.. LOL.. it was sure nasty.. but I didnt have to fast for it. havent heard of that either.
Good Luk Dyami with your son, hope it works out well for him
ill pray fer ya, diabetes can be very scarey.
I have to go get my daughter tested too cause I have noticed some signs in the past few weeks and it runs in our family too
Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

It's a glucose drink, for a name of the stuff you drink. I' asked the wife. She said she had to fast. I've never taken it. I believe in Hypoglsemia they also use glucose.I think someone has posted on that. At least I remember seeing it. It's a similiar illness to diabetes. About the same symptoms, I think. That's a doctor or nurse, and lab area arrangement to determine what's really the trouble.GES Luck!!
Old 11-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #13
Cloud Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail405
It's a glucose drink, for a name of the stuff you drink. I' asked the wife. She said she had to fast. I've never taken it. I believe in Hypoglsemia they also use glucose.I think someone has posted on that. At least I remember seeing it. It's a similiar illness to diabetes. About the same symptoms, I think. That's a doctor or nurse, and lab area arrangement to determine what's really the trouble.GES Luck!!
Isnt one about too much glucose and the other not enough? ewhy they are similar?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #14
Senior Dancer

Hello, all my kid went to the doc today, he did not have the blood test done because the doctor wanted him to fast for 12 hours fasting ( some are for whatever # of hours your doc give you looking at the form, cause it says Glucose PC and then it says # of hrs.), but my kid is getting the whole blood workup so his doc wants him to fast for 12 hrs, my kid was like your going to starve me.
For his behavior problems his is seeing a Psychiatrist, so I will tell eveyone how that goes tomorrow cause his doctor said he should see this person ASAP, boy I'm glad he has good insurance or I'll be royaly screwed. I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #15
Cloud Dancer

Quote:
Hello, all my kid went to the doc today, he did not have the blood test done because the doctor wanted him to fast for 12 hours fasting ( some are for whatever # of hours your doc give you looking at the form, cause it says Glucose PC and then it says # of hrs.), but my kid is getting the whole blood workup so his doc wants him to fast for 12 hrs, my kid was like your going to starve me.
For his behavior problems his is seeing a Psychiatrist, so I will tell eveyone how that goes tomorrow cause his doctor said he should see this person ASAP, boy I'm glad he has good insurance or I'll be royaly screwed. I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.
Aww poor lil guy has to fast :( hehe well buy him something good when he finished at docs... after being poked with needles all day hell deserve a good treat hehe.
Be careful with the phsyc. doc make sure he is a good one and go by your own intuition, if you like him or if ya dont and ask your son if he is comfortable, the wrong counsellor can actually make things worse. ask alot of questions even prepare some the night before especially if they gonna try to medicate him.
Insurance is a good thing hehe and youre luky to have it, use it to your advantage :)

Take care of you and your boy, keep ya in my thoughts.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 AM   #16
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFeather
Aww poor lil guy has to fast :( hehe well buy him something good when he finished at docs... after being poked with needles all day hell deserve a good treat hehe.
Be careful with the phsyc. doc make sure he is a good one and go by your own intuition, if you like him or if ya dont and ask your son if he is comfortable, the wrong counsellor can actually make things worse. ask alot of questions even prepare some the night before especially if they gonna try to medicate him.
Insurance is a good thing hehe and youre luky to have it, use it to your advantage :)

Take care of you and your boy, keep ya in my thoughts.
I plan to ask a ton of questions and if I don't like this counsellor I have found another one just in case this one is not the right one, and as far as my kid he is very verbal when he does not like someone.
Thanks for all the advice AngelFeather, I am writing a list of all the concerns that I have so that I don't forget anything and I am making a list of questions as well. I will update everyone tommorow and thank you everyone for all the good advice.:11:
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 AM   #17
Senior Dancer

Quote:
I plan to ask a ton of questions and if I don't like this counsellor I have found another one just in case this one is not the right one, and as far as my kid he is very verbal when he does not like someone.
Thanks for all the advice AngelFeather, I am writing a list of all the concerns that I have so that I don't forget anything and I am making a list of questions as well. I will update everyone tommorow and thank you everyone for all the good advice.:11:
I would have update you all yesterday but I was so exhausted. I took him to the psy doctor yesterday he really liked the lady she talked to him for an hour and observed him she asked me some questions, I had all my concerns written down like AngelFeather had said I should. My main concern was the fire starting and the playing with the electricity. (Recently when I was teaching him to iron he had the face plate with the steam coming out facing toward his face and then the other day we have a flat top stove and he put his face up to the holes that let the steam out from the oven while I was standing there while I was making his toast.) I expressed this to her and she said it was an impulse disorder apart of the ADHD,were some people do these things not realizes that these things will hurt them at the time ,and don't know why they do them (cause I usually ask him why he does something and he always say I don't know) she had not even known he was diagnoised with ADHD before he even went to her, because I wanted a second opinion, but he will be going to the psych. doctor on a regular basis, she did prescribe him some med's suppose to take everyday or can be taken as needed, cause I can usually can tell when he wakes up if he is going to do something that is going to injure himself. She did say that the med's that they might not totally stop all the impulses like the fire starting, but he will be seeing the psych regularly to try to find out why he do these things. I forgot to mention that he is also being tested for a chemical imbalance that was part of the blood testing that his regular doctor ordered. I have not recieved any results yet I should hear something in a few days. I am still trying the diet change thing as well to see how it will work I have not given him the med's yet, but I have done a lot of research the prescription she prescribed for him and the side effects are very minor compaired to the other ones I have come across in my research on ADHD I did before taking him, to see what new progress has been made in this field. (But the best thing I like about the doctor is she did ask if I wanted to medicate him or not and had I everthought about it, that's usually the first thing they (doctors) want to do with the kid they don't even ask what your thoughts are just here's some med's for them to take, she also asked what other methods have I tried with him she talked with him observed him and not just ask my questions all hour).
I'll let everyone know how the blood test work comes out, and if I give him the med's and how they work.

Last edited by Dyami; 12-02-2004 at 01:03 AM..
Old 12-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

This pertains to Essiac 4 herb tea. I just received a booklet from,Herbal Healer academy."Natures cure for Cancer" by Dr. Gary Blum. An unknown poster to me has entered a request for info. on this tea. I have some brief info, regarding same.It came w/in 3 votes, of being legalized by Canadian Gov. This in 1938. This tea is regarded by this booklet author as a cure for terminal cancer patients. As the story goes. Corruption was indicated as being the reason the information was suppressed.In the book a nurse Caisse reversed Essiac.relates the cover up. Nurse Cassie's book a 1988 print for $35.00 is hard to find.This Herbal Org. has limited copies, now for $50.00 Hardbound. 233 pages. I do not know how accurate this story is. Pot luck seems the way that others will find out the information. [email protected] GES
Old 12-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #19
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
wow... did'nt know there were responses to my thread till today...

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, HyPERglycemia is high blood sugar and diabetes is your ability to process sugar via insulin and wether or not you might produce insulin. There's two types of diabetes and with it comes hypo and hyperglycemia, but both the glycemias are indicators of diabetes now or to come.

The foods they are talking about, all over now doctors and diaticians are acting like suddenly they found these wonderful foods when our people's knew all along how good they were for you. Lyed corn, traditionally (not hominy from a can) done with hard ash, has an incredible amount of calcium in it like you would not believe! Just one cup of corn soup a day would keep your bones strong and straight for life! Many of the natural seeds and tubers are higher in protein than meat... and wild game has almost no fat. Echinacea was used in soups and teas hundreds of years for what it's used for now!
These were never secrets, just never acknowledged by the medical profession.

Dyami... I have a child who was diagnosed last year with ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). I was told what a hard *** I was with my kid till folks started watching her for a night or afternoon even. She literally bounced off the walls. She was caught in the middle of the road "directing traffic" one afternoon and that was like my last straw. I did choose medication for two reasons.... I cannot trust myself to be responsible enough to prepare the right foods and because she's an extremly picky eater now.
I'll tell you what though, we did'nt just pick a medication and let her go. Our doctor told me she is'nt supposed to be a zombie, but like a "normal" kid. We tried short term ritilin (take twice a day) but it was too roller coaster like for us, Aderol which SUCKED HARD CORE! Let me tell you about aderol because MY kid is not the ONLY one that reacted to it this way.... but mood swings from hell, calling herself stupid and hitting herself in the head, crying at the drop of a hat or insane laughter... mostly the negative and we got off that **** FAST! The third we tried was the lower dosage of concerta (long term ritilin .. once a day). It's time released so no roller coaster rides of emotion and it ... shoot, if you did'nt know how bad she could be before you would'nt think it did anything. She can focus, she's attentive, she's confident and her school work has improved entirely! I am thinking of taking the doctor's suggestion and letting her off the medication for the summer when she's out of school though. I have enough property now with plenty to do that I don't need to worry about her and cars.

OH and as for the soda, have'nt you noticed since he's ADHD that soda and sugar does not make him more hyper but calms him down?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:44 PM   #20
Senior Dancer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
wow... did'nt know there were responses to my thread till today...

Dyami... I have a child who was diagnosed last year with ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). I was told what a hard *** I was with my kid till folks started watching her for a night or afternoon even. She literally bounced off the walls. She was caught in the middle of the road "directing traffic" one afternoon and that was like my last straw. I did choose medication for two reasons.... I cannot trust myself to be responsible enough to prepare the right foods and because she's an extremly picky eater now.
I'll tell you what though, we did'nt just pick a medication and let her go. Our doctor told me she is'nt supposed to be a zombie, but like a "normal" kid. We tried short term ritilin (take twice a day) but it was too roller coaster like for us, Aderol which SUCKED HARD CORE! Let me tell you about aderol because MY kid is not the ONLY one that reacted to it this way.... but mood swings from hell, calling herself stupid and hitting herself in the head, crying at the drop of a hat or insane laughter... mostly the negative and we got off that **** FAST! The third we tried was the lower dosage of concerta (long term ritilin .. once a day). It's time released so no roller coaster rides of emotion and it ... shoot, if you did'nt know how bad she could be before you would'nt think it did anything. She can focus, she's attentive, she's confident and her school work has improved entirely! I am thinking of taking the doctor's suggestion and letting her off the medication for the summer when she's out of school though. I have enough property now with plenty to do that I don't need to worry about her and cars.

OH and as for the soda, have'nt you noticed since he's ADHD that soda and sugar does not make him more hyper but calms him down?

I never give him pop but I'm sure he talks his granddad into it, but one day my mom gave my kid tea and I wanted to put the boy in a straight jacket. My son has been going to a lot of doctors lately he is being tested for PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder ) and Asperger Syndrome which both have closely similar characteristics as ADHD. I went after getting the diagnois of ADHD and I did some reserach and came across a few book and websites that compare them and he has a lot more characteristics as the other two more than the ADHD, but a child can have s combination of the disorders and his psych. doctor agrees to.

Right now I am trying the food experiement to see how he reacts to certain foods and keeping a diary haven't been doing it steadily to see if its working or not because of the holiday, but now that they are over I will keep with the experiement and see what happens. He is also on Concerta sometimes it seems to work and other times is seems to do nothing at all. I'll let everyone no what happens. he goes to have his motor skills tested this month cause he has poor motor skills (especially when it comes to running, catching a ball and riding a bike which he still can't do.)

Do your kid have trouble sleeping through the night cause my kid has had it before the meds and still know?
Thanks for the heads up on the meds you've tried those are some horror stories.
For sugar he doesn't seem more hyper to me either.
Sponsored Links