Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Space Monkey/The Choking Game Space Monkey/The Choking Game

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy Space Monkey/The Choking Game

Perhaps you haven't heard of this; but if you have kids in school, they have, whether by these names or others.

Kids have found that they don't need drugs to get high or feel that temporary 'satisfaction'. They think this 'game' is okay because there is no substance abuse. However, just like drug use it KILLS brain cells. Thousands at a time, and while it may not be evident immediately (although it has been known to kill outright) it could result in strokes and brain hemorrhage later on that might not have occurred otherwise.

Space Monkey/The Choking Game involve 'strangulation' to the point where the individual blacks out momentarily and comes to in a groggy, tingly state that is not unpleasant. The game is done alone or with friends. Kids may use a rope (there is no intention of suicide) to get the effect; or groups of kids will do it to each other.

I just saw this on Dr. Phil. One individual kneels down sitting up and gets to a hyperventilation point by inhaling rapidly, followed by their 'friend' putting an arm around their neck, cutting off circulation to the brain momentarily. One girl said they do it because it is funny to watch their friends jerk and twitch and make little noises in their semi-concious state. She said they would never go 'too far' because they 'care' about their friends. She stated they believed it was 'harmless' because it wasn't using drugs.

Anytime the brain is deprived of oxygen it begins to die. Children are dying from this. What do your kids do when they are in their bedrooms with the door closed? The mother's on the show had no idea this 'game' even existed until it adversely affected their lives. Check this out. Talk to your kids. This is not okay. Drugs are bad enough and they cost bucks but our people still find a way to get them. The Choking Game is free, until the final price must be paid...

http://www.stop-the-choking-game.com/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in712411.shtml
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
back in 1984 in 7th grade we had a thing called CALIFORNIA HIGH. It wasnt as dangerous and you couldnt hang yourself.

What we did was make ourselves out of breath either by running or squatting and breathing heavy for a few minutes.

stand up, take a deep breath and hold it while someone gives you a bear hug until you pass out.

i only did it once before we all got in trouble.

i guess the choking game is a new variation.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob
back in 1984 in 7th grade we had a thing called CALIFORNIA HIGH. It wasnt as dangerous and you couldnt hang yourself.

What we did was make ourselves out of breath either by running or squatting and breathing heavy for a few minutes.

stand up, take a deep breath and hold it while someone gives you a bear hug until you pass out.

Yes, they are the same game. When your 'friend' gave you that bear hug and you passed out...you lost a few thousand brain cells each time...
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
Old 12-22-2005, 03:34 AM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Uh... not to sound gross , but this game is also done while masturbating... supposedly to prolong the orgasm and is usually done in private and that's why alot of them are dying.... accidental suicide.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

wannabendn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob

We did the same thing in the late 70s and early 80s. Only difference was someone would blow us a shotgun at the same time. Man how did I ever survive those days
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Cratertot

andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 918.00
There have been several occurences the next county over. I believe one or two were sent to the ER. It is unfortunate that kids can't find something better to do with their lives. I blame television and Microsoft.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Uh... not to sound gross , but this game is also done while masturbating... supposedly to prolong the orgasm and is usually done in private and that's why alot of them are dying.... accidental suicide.
Autoeroticism. Found predominantly in the gay community.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre
I blame television and Microsoft.
Really? I don't. Parents have (or should have if they want to be a parent and not their kid's best friend) the ultimate say in their household. They need to take time to get involved with their kids; know what they are doing instead of being so self-absorbed in their own addictions (computers, booze....) There is NO reason, for example, that a kid's bedroom door should be closed unless they are changing clothes. Alot of parents don't blink an eye out of hours spent in a bedroom with the doors closed. As a result we've got kids on the internet all day or doing other things like this instead of being outside and working off their energy. Our children today are the most obese they've ever been because they don't go out and play. Sure I could point to television and Microsoft at this point, too, but it's the parent's house.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
yooperbear

yooperbear is just really nice
I showed my fifteen year-old son this thread-He couldn't figure out how anyone could call it a "game" or find it to be "fun". So far he and his friends have not been involved in anything like this-his friends are over here often enough.
I thought it was bad enough when my oldest daughter was cutting herself-it didn't last long, thankfully-I discovered it soon after she started. What will they do next?!?
yooperbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbear
I showed my fifteen year-old son this thread-He couldn't figure out how anyone could call it a "game" or find it to be "fun". So far he and his friends have not been involved in anything like this-his friends are over here often enough.
I thought it was bad enough when my oldest daughter was cutting herself-it didn't last long, thankfully-I discovered it soon after she started. What will they do next?!?
Your kids are so lucky to have an involved parent. They may have their ups and downs but they've obviously already learned you aren't going to let them be their own worst enemy. They'll remember that years from now and consider themselves so lucky! Glad to hear your daughter is doing better.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Spirit
Autoeroticism. Found predominantly in the gay community.
Well tell that to the teen boys who are dying from it... if they hear it has something to do with being gay, maybe they'll shy away from it.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
gay ppl arent the only freaks out there...bible thumpin ppl play that game too...anyhoo...my father is 62 and they used to do this to each other at house parties...cept it was more the sleeper hold..they thought it was funny too...seems the only time shyt like this gets attention is when its middle/upper class white children playing these games......oh and we used to call it the Funky Chicken

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #13
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaLiLsHa*
seems the only time shyt like this gets attention is when its middle/upper class white children playing these games.....
Boy, isn't this ever the truth. Not just with this issue either. I remember adolescents in the 70's doing this, my teenage babysitter tried showing us this. It's not new, it's not a "gay thing" and every generation seems to discover or re-discover a new way to get that "high." If it were that easy to label it, like Blackbear said, maybe it would turn kids away from trying it. I feel bad for any kid that wants to try these things, and would hope that every parent out there is keeping close tabs on their kids, because it is a tragedy to lose a child.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
you cant really blame the parents much, you have to thank the TV, Radio and movies for alot of the stupid shyt kids do today. It only takes one event for a kid to learn it is bad (at least it did for me) most of the time they survive. There are probably the same amount of deaths from stupid kid shyt today as 50 years ago, it is just that we have a better news network that focuses on the bad stuff and tries to relate everything to bad parenting when something happens to kids.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
Boy, isn't this ever the truth. Not just with this issue either. I remember adolescents in the 70's doing this, my teenage babysitter tried showing us this. It's not new, it's not a "gay thing" and every generation seems to discover or re-discover a new way to get that "high." If it were that easy to label it, like Blackbear said, maybe it would turn kids away from trying it. I feel bad for any kid that wants to try these things, and would hope that every parent out there is keeping close tabs on their kids, because it is a tragedy to lose a child.
Please re-read. I didn't say The Choking Game was a gay thing; I was referring to Blackbear's post about a similar sexual thrill requiring ligature and bondage and its prevalence in the gay community. Also, folks, I never implied this was anything new, I was highlighting it because it is becoming 'the rage' among teens today and I thought we should be vigilant.

Billy Joe Jim Bob, if parents don't exercise controls at home, exercise discipline and step up to the plate and parent, kids are going to find a way to push the envelope. Some of that is normal growing up; but parents are responsible for what goes on in their own house. Yes, I would agree that there is more media coverage now, than in the past--this is a good thing. If you take the time to read the reports you'll find it isn't "probably the same amount of deaths from stupid kid shyt today as 50 years ago" and not that "it is just that we have a better news network that focuses on the bad stuff". It is an unfortunate fact of life here in the United States that we do have alot of bad parenting, there are many folks that shouldn't be parents. Our child mortality rates, for a non-third world country, are unacceptable; and most of the deaths were preventable and in many cases directly caused by a parent's deliberate act or negligence.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

jones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 52.32
when I was a youngin, I only heard girls talking about doing this in the girls bathroom. Everyone else was too buy throwing grass at each other or playing kickball.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

Red face Receiving Bad Rep

So, to the person who anonymously gave me bad rep for this thread, what was it...the fact that I posted such an unpleasant topic at all? was it that I corrected a misinterpretation of what I said? was it that I believe in parental responsibility and was critical that some parents fail to step up to the plate and parent? Whatever. The thread needed to be posted because I believe that this behavior has the potential of becoming a bigger killer of our youth than the current epidemic of drug abuse. Ignorance is bliss can never be a parent's mantra. You need to know what your kids are doing, need to talk with them about threats to their wellbeing, need to set boundaries for them when they are young. They will thank you later.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #18
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
I gave you some good rep to make up for the bad you received, I agree this is a very important topic. If it's not said, then it will remain a deadly issue to our kids.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #19
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Quote:
I gave you some good rep to make up for the bad you received, I agree this is a very important topic. If it's not said, then it will remain a deadly issue to our kids.
this is along the same lines as huffing glue or solvents..a friend of mines younger sister died of this in the early 90s...she was 15 and there was use of butane as well..i dont remember all the details now...but she was choked i think while inhaling butane...she passed out and didnt come to...the kids she was doing this with panicked and left her...they finally called the rescue squad 45 minutes later...the coroner ruled it an accidental death
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2005, 02:32 AM   #20
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Thank you, WW, for understanding why I posted this.
Sponsored Links