Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues Staying Sober Staying Sober

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Candy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Staying Sober

I've heard some very good things about these publications for staying sober and relapse prevention.

http://www.relapse.org

Hope this is helpful.:)
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
~*I wanna pow-wow*~

lakotajingledancer is on a distinguished road
if i could get my real dad to look @ that then it would all be gravy
lakotajingledancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
Riverwoman

How about this one.....

www.aa.org

They are in your phonebook, and on the web!:D
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

WICAPI WANJI is an unknown quantity at this point
SOBRIETY....

I dont mean to tread over any bodies beliefs so please dont take it that way..:) A.A in general to the non Indian community has been marginally successful at best weve also seen that the 12 step program in the ndn community has had even less success not to say that there is not any success stories because there is plenty but just not enough when you look at it statistically..:( ...Here and around where I work we offer many different solutions besides the 12 step program including traditional methods sweats ect.... to Eastern philosophies you name it. As a whole AA has the right idea, but just congregating and talking about how bad you screwed up and and how many times you did it just isnt enough...I believe alot of ndn people prefer the traditional route, becoming active participating in ceremonies ect... or doing meditation and taking up some type of martial art to rebuild the body Ive often heard AA and NA nazis(J.K!!;) ) talk about how the program didnt fail the individual but how the individual failed the program or himself..In some cases thats true they know who they are....but there are many others who require a more in depth way of dealing with their underlying issues....(alcoholism is just a symptom of a deeper problem) And again I want to stress that I dont mean this offensively. I just feel bad when I see good ndn brothers not willing to try anything else because theyve had the 12 step philosophies jammmed so far into their heads. I think we as a Nation must always offer our people other alternatives besides the norm....because in many cases thats what its gonna take....Dokca....;)
Old 10-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

Candy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond reputeCandy has a reputation beyond repute
No offense taken.:)

My personal belief is that if one way doesn't work for someone, then another way will. It's just a matter of helping folks to be aware of the possibilities.

Thanks for your input, Wicapi Wanji. :)
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Seeking Him

Taushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant futureTaushina has a brilliant future
Savings: 554.36
Thumbs up A few success stories!

My Father was a terrible alcoholic for years. His Mother and Father were also really bad alcoholics. They actually had to give him, his brother and sister up for adoption as a result of their alcoholism.

His Father became a well known AA counselor for Natives and he was even well know among Non-Natives.

Anyhoo, my Father went to a few AA meetings, but ultimately that didn't help him.

He had a long talk with himself and looked at his situation and he decided he wanted to end the trend of alcoholism in our family. So he ended up quitting cold-turkey. After that he went on to earn a degree in electrical engineering and graduated top of his class! *Go Dad, Go Dad* :)

My life would be totally different had he not made that decision! I'm so thankful that he decided to quit.

So if any of you out there are struggling with alcohol, just know that your decision to drink is not just effecting you but it is effecting your whole entire family. And your decision to stop drinking will effect you and your family! :)
Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Native Sobriety

There is a Native specific organization that is very well thought of: http://www.whitebison.org

White Bison's founder Don Coyhis runs "Wellbriety Programs" for both men and women.

Another resource is the Well Nations Magazine; run by Lakota Kevin Peniska Sr. They are at http://www.wellnations.com

Blessings.......
Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Teen Dancer

Sewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Uncle that is my heart, but was just the worst DRUNK in the world. I am thankful for his daughter having a daughter! I took a picture of him holding his Grand-Daughter, and he was also holding a beer in his hand! Needless to say when he saw the picture that triggered something in his spirit and put down alcohol from then on. He's a Vietnam Vet, and I'm not trying to put the alcoholism on that, but I believed taht it helped. My cousin is now a teenager, and my Uncle is still alcohol free. Go Unc! I wish it was that easy for everyone, and I wish that people could do it cold turkey. But each person is special and different, and now I'm waiting for the rest of my comunity to fall into place. Oh Creator! What a Prayer I have.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Riverwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewickly
I have a Uncle that is my heart, but was just the worst DRUNK in the world. I am thankful for his daughter having a daughter! I took a picture of him holding his Grand-Daughter, and he was also holding a beer in his hand! Needless to say when he saw the picture that triggered something in his spirit and put down alcohol from then on. He's a Vietnam Vet, and I'm not trying to put the alcoholism on that, but I believed taht it helped. My cousin is now a teenager, and my Uncle is still alcohol free. Go Unc! I wish it was that easy for everyone, and I wish that people could do it cold turkey. But each person is special and different, and now I'm waiting for the rest of my comunity to fall into place. Oh Creator! What a Prayer I have.
Awww *hugs* I sure know what yu mean and are going thru! Take care:)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
I admire anyone who makes the decision to battle thier alcoholism, i know the frustration, the pain, as well as the rewards and benefits of quitting. I personally didnt use he AA program because i too felt it wasnt appropriet to beat oursleves down even more for the past wrongs we had done not only to ourselves but to our family and friends. i turned to my spiritualtiy and my traditions. I found that to be my best way of coping i always felt i had someone near me. I did Like the concepts of the 12 steps and i think that we can incoorperate them into our lives without having to meet every week and verbally punish ourselves. I am sure the program works for others but it wasnt for me. again to all those people that struggle with such a damaging addiction I hope that peace will be found for all of you, no matter how you go about doing it, as long as you are.
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links