PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Health Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/)
-   -   Vegetables and Fruit, as nutrient. (http://forums.powwows.com/f35/vegetables-fruit-nutrient-67141/)

Lisandro 02-05-2013 03:09 AM

Vegetables and Fruit, as nutrient.
 
Well It is clear that vegetables and fruits performs important, role in improvement of our health and changed way of life because of the fact these have natural vitamins. protein, calcium mineral, iron and different nutritional value which our body is needed but unfortunately it is sorry to say that large number of people are still stick on foods which are the major cause of obese and high-cholesterol level.

xTekno 02-05-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisandro (Post 1557033)
Well It is clear that vegetables and fruits performs important, role in improvement of our health and changed way of life because of the fact these have natural vitamins. protein, calcium mineral, iron and different nutritional value which our body is needed but unfortunately it is sorry to say that large number of people are still stick on foods which are the major cause of obese and high-cholesterol level.

I switched to carrotts, celery, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, nuts, bananas, and apple. Totally cut out anything tried and all beverages except for water.

muskrat_skull 02-05-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno (Post 1557039)
I switched to carrotts, celery, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, nuts, bananas, and apple. Totally cut out anything tried and all beverages except for water.

So I can't invite you and @Lisandro to the whole hog bbq? We are having grits, macaroni and cheese (down south its classified as a vegetable, along with grits), some collards boiled to death and then cooked in fatback or bacon grease, a sidecar of bacon grease, with some pork fat dipping sticks, and I was making deep fried donuts--that's where you take a donut (which is already deep fried and 75% greaase) and then you batter it up and deep fry it again, for another hole layer, for dessert. I could probably put some more bacon grease and pork fat in the hole of the donut before I batter it so it'd have this greasy liquid center. just kidding. I am really sick of southern cooking.

Nah, we went almost completely vegetarian, just high end seafood, we live near the ocean, or organic or fresh hunted or raised by us. And then only two or three times a week. Vegetarians the rest of the time. I do use a few dairy items, butter, cheese rarely and yogurt, and eggs occasionally. But cut out most of the meat, including Mr. Hogg which down here is sacreligious. Mostly vegetables most of the time. We try to catch or raise what we eat, chickens and rabbits, both of which are vegan fed, deer meat and buffalo, except no hogs, there's worms in the hog meat anyway.

docat 02-06-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1557087)
So I can't invite you and @Lisandro to the whole hog bbq? We are having grits, macaroni and cheese (down south its classified as a vegetable, along with grits), some collards boiled to death and then cooked in fatback or bacon grease, a sidecar of bacon grease, with some pork fat dipping sticks, and I was making deep fried donuts--that's where you take a donut (which is already deep fried and 75% greaase) and then you batter it up and deep fry it again, for another hole layer, for dessert. I could probably put some more bacon grease and pork fat in the hole of the donut before I batter it so it'd have this greasy liquid center. just kidding. I am really sick of southern cooking.

Nah, we went almost completely vegetarian, just high end seafood, we live near the ocean, or organic or fresh hunted or raised by us. And then only two or three times a week. Vegetarians the rest of the time. I do use a few dairy items, butter, cheese rarely and yogurt, and eggs occasionally. But cut out most of the meat, including Mr. Hogg which down here is sacreligious. Mostly vegetables most of the time. We try to catch or raise what we eat, chickens and rabbits, both of which are vegan fed, deer meat and buffalo, except no hogs, there's worms in the hog meat anyway.

LOL You know, down here in the south, they string you up if you tell people about the worms in hogs. That's a carefully guarded secret. Some people counter and say, oh, there USED to be worms or that if you cook it well enough, you KILL the worms, but I don't think the cooking removes the worms from the meat...you still eat dead cooked worms in a well cooked hog.

Yep, as we speak, Paula Deen is scanning your notes and triangulating your position to find you. Poor muscrat_skull. LOL

muskrat_skull 02-06-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docat (Post 1557110)
LOL You know, down here in the south, they string you up if you tell people about the worms in hogs. That's a carefully guarded secret. Some people counter and say, oh, there USED to be worms or that if you cook it well enough, you KILL the worms, but I don't think the cooking removes the worms from the meat...you still eat dead cooked worms in a well cooked hog.

Yep, as we speak, Paula Deen is scanning your notes and triangulating your position to find you. Poor muscrat_skull. LOL

Yeah, the risk of the worms is also there in butchering and handling the meat, the eggs and all can get under your fingernails or whatever. They say you're supposed to catch the hog alive, transport it to your home, worm the hog and keep it in a pen, a wild hog, for a month feeding it. Hardly free meat at that point. And if you eat the meat too soon, the wormer isn't good for you. Most people just eat it with the worms. Its the only deed restriction I have, can't keep hogs, you know you're a redneck when...

Joe's Dad 02-06-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1557118)
Yeah, the risk of the worms is also there in butchering and handling the meat, the eggs and all can get under your fingernails or whatever. They say you're supposed to catch the hog alive, transport it to your home, worm the hog and keep it in a pen, a wild hog, for a month feeding it. Hardly free meat at that point. And if you eat the meat too soon, the wormer isn't good for you. Most people just eat it with the worms. Its the only deed restriction I have, can't keep hogs, you know you're a redneck when...

you consider Mahatma rice a vegetable and the first thing you get at the grocery store on trading day is CRISCO!!! :laughing:

docat 02-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1557118)
Yeah, the risk of the worms is also there in butchering and handling the meat, the eggs and all can get under your fingernails or whatever. They say you're supposed to catch the hog alive, transport it to your home, worm the hog and keep it in a pen, a wild hog, for a month feeding it. Hardly free meat at that point. And if you eat the meat too soon, the wormer isn't good for you. Most people just eat it with the worms. Its the only deed restriction I have, can't keep hogs, you know you're a redneck when...

Oh my, people just eat it with the worms? I read somewhere that 95% of people carry around worms of some sort. That's just plain nasty. In the old days, my aunt told me that our family used to worm the children in the spring. I heard horror stories about the concoction they had to drink that was strong enough to kill the worms but would allow the children to still live.

muskrat_skull 02-06-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1557123)
you consider Mahatma rice a vegetable and the first thing you get at the grocery store on trading day is CRISCO!!! :laughing:

LOL!!
When your turkey at the holidays is turkey shaped crisco. You know I heard there's alot you can do with crisco...

ac_miss 02-07-2013 01:57 PM

[email protected] about the worms. I have a friend who doesn't eat pork because of this.

I would like nothing more than to be healthier, but a lot of times I'm on the go. I try to eat healthier especially since i had my liver transplant surgery, but some of my medications just makes me want to eat ANYTHING! It's crazy how i'll want to eat another big meal even though I had eaten just an hour ago. I keep some no sugar pudding, yogurt, fruit, and other snacks around, but it doesn't help!! I still get hungry. I will have to endure for another couple of months when docs will wean me from the meds.

muskrat_skull 02-07-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_miss (Post 1557211)
[email protected] about the worms. I have a friend who doesn't eat pork because of this.

I would like nothing more than to be healthier, but a lot of times I'm on the go. I try to eat healthier especially since i had my liver transplant surgery, but some of my medications just makes me want to eat ANYTHING! It's crazy how i'll want to eat another big meal even though I had eaten just an hour ago. I keep some no sugar pudding, yogurt, fruit, and other snacks around, but it doesn't help!! I still get hungry. I will have to endure for another couple of months when docs will wean me from the meds.

I am sorry to hear you needed the transplant but glad you got it. Yogurt is supposed to be really good because the lactic acid helps toxins get out of your body. When I take those types of meds, not as high a dose as you, I try to eat a little really slowly, but usually it doesn't help. Now that your liver is gonna work so much better, you will probably drop any extra pounds much easier once you are back on your normal routine.

ac_miss 02-28-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1557244)
I am sorry to hear you needed the transplant but glad you got it. Yogurt is supposed to be really good because the lactic acid helps toxins get out of your body. When I take those types of meds, not as high a dose as you, I try to eat a little really slowly, but usually it doesn't help. Now that your liver is gonna work so much better, you will probably drop any extra pounds much easier once you are back on your normal routine.

I'm very fortunate to receive a new liver. My situation was very scary. Once I found out I had Autoimmune hepatitis (AIH), i was told i needed a new liver within 24-48 hours or else I'd die. I don't remember this at all, but my husband and family were scared. After 24 hours, I did receive a new liver from an anonymous 27 year old petite woman from the Dallas area. Her unselfish decision is what saved my life. I'll forever be grateful for her.

As far as my meds, the one that affects me so much is the prednisone. I'll be glad to discontinue taking it. My tranplant coordinator says after 6 months, I will probably stop taking it. March 7 will be 6 months post transplant, but my next visit isn't until April 4. But...i shouldn't complain. I'm now healthy and live, so what's one lil pill to worry about? LOL.

Are you on FB? There's a group called Liver Transplant Patients, i believe. If you haven't already, you should join!

muskrat_skull 02-28-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_miss (Post 1559596)
I'm very fortunate to receive a new liver. My situation was very scary. Once I found out I had Autoimmune hepatitis (AIH), i was told i needed a new liver within 24-48 hours or else I'd die. I don't remember this at all, but my husband and family were scared. After 24 hours, I did receive a new liver from an anonymous 27 year old petite woman from the Dallas area. Her unselfish decision is what saved my life. I'll forever be grateful for her.

As far as my meds, the one that affects me so much is the prednisone. I'll be glad to discontinue taking it. My tranplant coordinator says after 6 months, I will probably stop taking it. March 7 will be 6 months post transplant, but my next visit isn't until April 4. But...i shouldn't complain. I'm now healthy and live, so what's one lil pill to worry about? LOL.

Are you on FB? There's a group called Liver Transplant Patients, i believe. If you haven't already, you should join!

No, I'm not on FB. I am on that med now. my meld isn't high enough for them. I got acutely ill when I was young, and have just slowly malingered for a while, the rest of my body being attacked as you know, the disease affects all kinds of things. Now things are changing as I'm older too.

That should be a cure for you and you'll be off that pred soon. I take handfuls of stuff. I think that AIH and PBC are more prevalent in Indians, right? It seems to be in my family.

ac_miss 02-28-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskrat_skull (Post 1559599)
No, I'm not on FB. I am on that med now. my meld isn't high enough for them. I got acutely ill when I was young, and have just slowly malingered for a while, the rest of my body being attacked as you know, the disease affects all kinds of things. Now things are changing as I'm older too.

That should be a cure for you and you'll be off that pred soon. I take handfuls of stuff. I think that AIH and PBC are more prevalent in Indians, right? It seems to be in my family.

So far, I'm the only one in my family and tribe who needed a liver transplant, although a distant relative will need a liver transplant soon, too. I'm not sure what his condition is though.

Have you ever researched AIH and alternative methods? I just recently read a book about a mother who did a lot of research for her young daughter at that time. She went on to find alternative methods for her daughter's AIH, and "cured" her from it. It was very interesting and made some sense. I believe the book is called Curing Courtney. I do believe we all have the potential to heal ourselves if we can commit to it.

I wish you good luck and prayers for healing!! Without prayer, i would not be here at all.

muskrat_skull 02-28-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_miss (Post 1559606)
So far, I'm the only one in my family and tribe who needed a liver transplant, although a distant relative will need a liver transplant soon, too. I'm not sure what his condition is though.

Have you ever researched AIH and alternative methods? I just recently read a book about a mother who did a lot of research for her young daughter at that time. She went on to find alternative methods for her daughter's AIH, and "cured" her from it. It was very interesting and made some sense. I believe the book is called Curing Courtney. I do believe we all have the potential to heal ourselves if we can commit to it.

I wish you good luck and prayers for healing!! Without prayer, i would not be here at all.

I will check out the book. Thanks! I have the markers for pbc and aih and other associated autoimmune syndromes. I am very careful with my liver after two severe bouts. They said they don't know what will cause liver failure, or when. Anything, anytime. Like you, it just happens out of the blue. But meanwhile the rest of my body is being trashed. Did you know you had AIH before you went into liver failure?

wyo_rose 02-28-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_miss (Post 1557211)
[email protected] about the worms. I have a friend who doesn't eat pork because of this.

I would like nothing more than to be healthier, but a lot of times I'm on the go. I try to eat healthier especially since i had my liver transplant surgery, but some of my medications just makes me want to eat ANYTHING! It's crazy how i'll want to eat another big meal even though I had eaten just an hour ago. I keep some no sugar pudding, yogurt, fruit, and other snacks around, but it doesn't help!! I still get hungry. I will have to endure for another couple of months when docs will wean me from the meds.

That's me! For some odd unrelated reasons.

What I've found that helps: drinking Knoxx gelatin dissolved in hot water twice a day. And have an Atkins shake twice a day: before breakfast (or after if I eat early), and as my afterschool snack. And even have some on hand if I'm hungry before bed.

This isn't in place of any meals..just keeps me from cheating.

wyo_rose 02-28-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisandro (Post 1557033)
Well It is clear that vegetables and fruits performs important, role in improvement of our health and changed way of life because of the fact these have natural vitamins. protein, calcium mineral, iron and different nutritional value which our body is needed but unfortunately it is sorry to say that large number of people are still stick on foods which are the major cause of obese and high-cholesterol level.

It is hard to get folks to try new foods, especially expensive fruits and veggies. If Bountiful Baskets(.org) is available in your area, it's a good way to get produce inexpensively, a great variety, and where fresh stuff is hard to find.

Vegetarians please remember that getting enough protein is curtail. Some veggies have protein, but they are incomplete. You must learn which veggies to combine to create complete proteins for essential nutrition.

Agley 04-09-2013 03:22 AM

Hey guys,I read out thoroughly all the posts about the importance of the vegetarian and fresh fruits and i agree with all reviews.Vegetarian and fresh fruits has own importance in our life.fruits and vegetables are essential for our body.It is the best source for get the vitamins and energy....

docat 04-11-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno (Post 1557039)
I switched to carrotts, celery, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, nuts, bananas, and apple. Totally cut out anything tried and all beverages except for water.

You just told me you were having a New York Strip Steak...

Guess the diet is out the window then, eh?

Couran 02-14-2014 03:00 PM

I think the act of eating destroys nutrients. Maybe we should look for another way to get nutrients.

jonson 08-07-2014 09:12 AM

Hi...!
Fresh fruits and vegetable are the best natural source of vitamin and calories , they provide us proper nutrition and energy which help to keep our body fit and young . We should must add both of them in our food plan .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC