Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues What did you do today to be healthy? What did you do today to be healthy?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Savings: 0.00
What did you do today to be healthy?

I'm interested in hearing what people do each day for their own health, or for their families' health. I'm hoping this will become a running thread for people to post on a somewhat daily basis what they did each day that is healthy. Wellness, as is was brought up on another thread, is a HUGE area of interest to me, especially preventing type 2 diabetes.

So, here we go.

Today, instead of eating the cookie I wanted to eat with my morning coffee, I ate a bowl of oatmeal with sliced bananas, sweetened with Splenda and vanilla soy milk.

I also made the decision to switch to a soy coffee creamer instead of my powdered flavored creamer. I looooooove my morning coffee with my vanilla caramel creamer, but when I read the label it says one serving has 3 grams of fat with 2.5 grams of it being saturated fat (the bad kind). It also has trans fat in it. So after trying the soy creamer (french vanilla flavored) I decided it was as good and made the switch. A small change, but as they say "Small Changes - Big Rewards."

Even if I"m the only one that posts on here on a daily basis, maybe it will inspire someone.....lol.

BTW, I am 38 years old, married, and have 2 small children (ages 2 and 5 months). I find that working at my health every day helps me be a better parent and wife.
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
ndn Queen!!!

ndngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 345.84
i'm at a conference right now...so since i knew imight not have time to get to the gym, i used every 15 minute break to walk which added up to be almost an hour of walking...it helped wake me up so i could pay attention;) (and not eat all the not-so-good for you snacks they had out for our breaks).
ndngirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
I ate breakfast!
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl73, that is an excellent way to get your exercise in on the road and to keep to your eating plan.

Eating breakfast has been proven to be one the healthiest habits........helps with weight loss, weight control, diabetes prevention, etc.

I was very proud of myself yesterday. I had a very busy day, was stressed out trying to get ready for a meeting and took a late lunch. My mom had asked me to stop by McDonald's on my way home and get her a sandwich. I was tempted to get a Big Mac, since I tend to be a stress eater, but instead I got a grilled chicken sandwich, no fries, and ate it at home with some low fat chips and lite cranberry juice.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
today I used soy in my protien shake instead of milk. I'm a chef who likes to eat, but I won't eat if I'm not hungry. I drink the protien shake to keep me from feeling hungry so I won't be tempted to snack. I work with some of the best pastry chefs in town.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Teen Dancer

Butterbean, you are too tough. I know I don't have the willpower to have a job like that and eat healthy......lol.....I have too much of a sweet tooth.

Speaking of sweets, my babysitter came over with some oatmeal cookies from Kashi brand. They have no trans fat, no high-fructose corn syrup, and taste really good (you DO need some milk or tea or something to wash it down because it is a tad dry). So I stocked up on those because they are better for you than regular bakery cookies, and I can get my cookie fix without loading up on the trans fat.....lol.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Teen Dancer

Butterbean, since you are a chef, can you give suggestions on baking?

I loooooooooove chocolate chip cookies. They are my one big indulgence. I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, to me they are just as good as regular chocolate chip. I've been experimenting with the cookie recipe on the Quaker Oatmeal box to try and make it healthier. I took the recipe listed and I substituted Take Control for the margarine and subsituted Splenda for the granulated sugar (kept the brown sugar the same as the recipe calls for). I also used whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour. They came out alright, I mean they tasted good, but the texture was really different. They came out kind of, I don't know, airy is the only way I can describe it. They had a really light texture to them.

Any suggestions on how to make a healthier oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with a better texture?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
I already drank 3 glasses of water this morning. Planning a low carb lunch.

The chocolate chip cookie dilemma is interesting. I'm trying to figure a good low carb version. I have almond flour, oat flour, and some good low carb chocolate. I too am going to use Splenda for the white sugar, and Brown sugar Splenda baking mix (50% brown sugar and 50% Splenda) for the sugar.

What is Take Control? I'm trying to find some coconut oil locally cuz it's so expensive to have it shipped.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

Ol'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Girl has a reputation beyond repute
ndnMSW:

What an awesome idea for a running thread!

Let's see...I ate some raisins...covered with chocolate though. I read some motivating articles in Runner's World magazine (hard copy and on-line too).

hmmmm...it's the thought that counts?
Ol'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Silvermouse is a name known to all
Credits: 1,024.90
Ah geez! Here I was gonna get cashew chicken for lunch today, but now I guess I'll get something healthy after reading how good you all are doing. Thanks guys (grumble, grumble)
Silvermouse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
pancake flipper

Splenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnMSW
Butterbean, since you are a chef, can you give suggestions on baking?

I loooooooooove chocolate chip cookies. They are my one big indulgence. I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, to me they are just as good as regular chocolate chip. I've been experimenting with the cookie recipe on the Quaker Oatmeal box to try and make it healthier. I took the recipe listed and I substituted Take Control for the margarine and subsituted Splenda for the granulated sugar (kept the brown sugar the same as the recipe calls for). I also used whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour. They came out alright, I mean they tasted good, but the texture was really different. They came out kind of, I don't know, airy is the only way I can describe it. They had a really light texture to them.

Any suggestions on how to make a healthier oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with a better texture?

I have a couple of adaptations that I will dig out for you. I haven't made the healthy versions for a while. My ex boyfriend was a full blown diabetic and I'd bake them for him.

Have you ever baked with splenda? Also, white flour is the killer. I'll look in my file for my healthier cookie recipies. I'll try to post those this afternoon.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #12
pancake flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Girl
ndnMSW:

Let's see...I ate some raisins...covered with chocolate though. I read some motivating articles in Runner's World magazine (hard copy and on-line too).

LOL I was thinking the same thing before my morning run. I thought if I spent a little time reading a training article and maybe do pilates I'd burn about 100 calories and call it a day. The type A in me got me out on the road though.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
pancake flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
I already drank 3 glasses of water this morning. Planning a low carb lunch.

The chocolate chip cookie dilemma is interesting. I'm trying to figure a good low carb version. I have almond flour, oat flour, and some good low carb chocolate. I too am going to use Splenda for the white sugar, and Brown sugar Splenda baking mix (50% brown sugar and 50% Splenda) for the sugar.

What is Take Control? I'm trying to find some coconut oil locally cuz it's so expensive to have it shipped.
I find that if I sift my oat flour I get a better consistency in my dough. I have to be careful though b/c the second sift throws off my measurements. Maybe blend with a whole grain flour for the benefits of the nutrients. Avoid the white flour at all costs.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
pancake flipper

careful with synthetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter bean
I find that if I sift my oat flour I get a better consistency in my dough. I have to be careful though b/c the second sift throws off my measurements. Maybe blend with a whole grain flour for the benefits of the nutrients. Avoid the white flour at all costs.
Sucralose is a sythentic sweetener and is hard on the stomach. Splenda claims that it's made from sugar, but it's still synthetic.

Everything in moderation. Mission impossible.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Teen Dancer

Wow......nice to see such a response to this thread!

Butterbean, I've never baked with Splenda until this last batch of cookies. I used the Splenda designed for baking, it measures like sugar. I wonder if that was what made the cookies so airy. I know the synthetic stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be, so that's why I stuck with regular brown sugar for the rest of the recipe.....yes, you're exactly right.....everything in moderation.

Wyo Rose, Take Control is a butter-type spread that has plant sterols (these help lower cholesterol) and claims to have no trans fat and you can use it for cooking or baking. However upon reading the label, it does have some partially hydrogenated oil. It probably has less than .5 grams of trans fat per serving, which is why according to the FDA it can make that claim (good reason to read labels vigilantly). Since then, I've switched to a spread called Smart Balance, which has no partially hydrogenated oil at all, and the consistency is more like butter (not so soft). My husband likes it better, and he's the true taste-tester in the family. Maybe that would work better in the cookie recipe too.

I can try to post a link to a Prevention magazine article that tells what exactly trans fat does to your system. It made me go through my fridge and toss everything high in trans fat. Would anyone be interested in that? Or any other articles that might be interesting or motivating?

I find that talking about health/diabetes prevention/wellness/etc., really helps motivate me to take control of my own health. I'm hoping it has the same effect on others.

BTW silvermouse, at our local HyVee deli, they just came out with a new dish called Beijing Chicken.....it uses grilled chicken, has celery and red and yellow peppers and some sweet type of sauce, and it's lower in fat and calories then their other dishes (like cashew chicken). We've been eating that when we get in the mood for Chinese and it's really good. Now if I could just get them to serve brown rice as well as steamed white rice........lol.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Girl
ndnMSW:

I love Runner's World! I have a subscription to that and Shape magazine. I need to renew my Prevention magazine subscription too. I love to cook and get alot of recipes from all 3 magazines.

Hey, chocolate is good for you, especially dark chocolate. And thinking about running, or reading about it, is just a step away from actually going out the door..........lol.

One trick that works for me is the 15 minute rule......if I don't feel like working out, I tell myself that if I get up right now and go, I'll just go for 15 minutes. And if I don't feel like working out after 15 minutes then I'll quit. 99% of the time you'll feel good and finish your workout........it's getting started that's the trick. And if you don't feel like continuing after 15 minutes, then quit.......but at least you've gotten in 15 minutes of exercise for the day which is better than nothing at all.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
ndn Queen!!!

ndngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 345.84
i kept track of my food today and except for one piece, stayed away from the halloween candy someone brought.

i recently got a new job which is pretty fast paced and high stress so i am trying to figure out when to fit in working out!! i like to work out but not first thing in the morning and so i have to see what i can come up with for an evening workout

tonight when i get home i think i'll do my yoga tape....
ndngirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
I kept track of my food too! I use www.fitday.com which is free. It's great for calculating fat, fiber, carbs, etc...

I did mess up and have cake and garlic bread last night. Yep, great combination!

But it's payday here and I'm going to pay my gym membership for me and honey.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #19
EAGLE WOMAN

Hochunk_mama79 is a jewel in the rough
Dang it sounds like you guys are doing good. I'm trying to go back to eating kinda healthy, leaving the pop/soda and junk food alone. I just had a baby boy in sept of this year so ....I got used of eating WHATEVER WHENEVER but now I don't have an excuse anymore.

So I am really trying to get back into shape and stop eating fast food. I'm trying to drink more water to replace "dr.pepper" and fruit, salads. I guess thats a start for me. I'll get there one day ....hopefully! But today I had some of my ma's bomb chilli w/cheese with a diet pepsi .....

Hochunk_mama79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #20
Teen Dancer

I am so tired today. Very busy week at work, and my 5 month old has been keeping me up late this week. Right now I feel like going to the vending machine and getting a Snickers. BUT, instead, I'm getting on my running shoes and going for a run. I'm leaving right now before I change my mind and head for the vending machine........good thing it's waaaaaaay down the hall.....lol.
Sponsored Links