Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Former Miss Navajo Nation Radmilla Cody Prison Sentence Pending...... Former Miss Navajo Nation Radmilla Cody Prison Sentence Pending......

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
Head Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nah is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Former Miss Navajo Nation Radmilla Cody Prison Sentence Pending......

Former Miss Navajo Nation 1997-1998 Radmilla A. Cody was sentenced to a 21-month federal prison sentence that is still pending in relation to her part in an international drug trafficking and money laundering conspiracy.

Cody agreed to a conviction on "misprison of a felony," or concealing her involvement and not reporting that she had packaged marijuana that was traffickied in the Tulsa area. She did admit to everything in her plea bargain.

That in September 1998, Cody as having worked with her then-boyfriend, drug "kingpin" in wrapping up to 324 kilograms of marijuana. Besides Cody and the kingpin there are a total of 14 other people involved.

Rumors are circulating in Window Rock, Arizona that the Navajo Nation Council could decide to vote on removing Cody's status as Miss Navao Nation 1997-1998.

Finding any tribal employee willing to offer a comment is a difficult one. Navajos apear to be stunned: in disbelief that Cody was, according to her own words, in "an abusive six-year relationship" with the kingpin of a criminal enterprise that smuggled cocaine and marijuana from Mexico into Poenix, then cross country to Tulsa, Oklahoma, Witchita, Kansas, and Detroit. Despite, the abuse through domestic violence that went as gar as Belemy sticking a gun in Cody's mouth.

They have suggested to the Navajo Nation not to look at Cody as a very good role model for the Navajo Nation. Due to the fact that Miss Navajo Nation recipients past and present represent the tribe everywhere, they go just as the Navajo president does.

Cody could end up winning a Native American Grammy-Best Album award on her work of traditional Dine music, "Seed of Life."
Old 12-11-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
WHISTLE WHILE I WORK

Playahatah is an unknown quantity at this point
Seed of Life eh? What kind of "seed"? :dontknow:
Playahatah is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

snackee is on a distinguished road
Too bad. Last thing we need is another native who's supposed to be a role model blowing it big time in the public eye. The Navajo Nation would be in the right to take their title back.
snackee is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
Head Dancer

Feel sorry for her!!!!

Man, do I feel sorry for her. I mean I actually met the people. During her appreciation dinner in Flagstaff we were invited because she did some guest appearances with my little brother who is her granfather clan wise. And we sat next to these people and they all looked normal. Even the kingpin. He was very nice and polite all of them were. But, I can't believe that she got herself into this much trouble.

And just to think she might even win a Native American Grammy award while she's doing her time in prison.....
Old 12-11-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
old school fool

Items Change User Title
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 748.00
Lets all remember, we ALL make dumb mistakes from time to time......everyone except for me :p JUST KIDDING!!! Gaaah!
RainyDaze49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2002, 07:31 PM   #6
Head Dancer

True, True!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

luvlumbee is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 160.00
Yeah really powwow chic! Geez!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
i was impressed with radmilla after i first met her...if being friendly and smilling could get a person outta prison she could do it...im still a fan but think she should do the time...and what do you think of this.?.since she kept her mouth shut about mr. kingpin...do you think he left radmilla some hush hush money...? my bet is that he did....later......oh yeah powwowhic has a new pic...*L* holy
injunboy is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 12:33 AM   #9
Junior Dancer

lumbeedancer is a name known to all
She sounds like a nice girl who just got a little side tracked.

I hope Mouse doesn't read this, he might start stalking her to!
lumbeedancer is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #10
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
I love Radmilla's music, and think this is a very sad situation. But - she knew what she was doing was wrong - in not telling. It's a delicate situation no matter how you slice it!
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #11
Head Dancer

This is a very sad situation that Radmilla got herself into. But then you have to admit that it did take a lot of courage to turn herself in to say I helped with that. Especially to turn around to the Navajo Nation and apologize for her actions. But, this situation should help her to identify who her real family and friends are.

About the status of the Navajo Nation Council thinking of taking her name off of the list of Former Miss Navajo Nations. I think that this is unwise of them. Because she earned the title, she did everything that the judges requested of her. She had the talents and the skills not to mention that she did butcher the sheep. The competition had nothing to do with the current charges.

She never used the title to get anywhere. And besides she never took anything from the tribe except the honor of being known as a Former Miss Navajo Nation. When she gave up her crown she was given her check. She turned around endorsed the check and donated it all back to the Navajo Nation Children. Like I said she didn't take nothing from the tribe.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:46 PM   #12
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
I commend Millie for her courage, she is my family and what she did this past week to approach the Navajo Times and apologize openly like that as well as explain her situation, how many other individuals out there do you know would do something like that, even with the amount of wrong they have done in their life? There are many individuals out there in dysfunctional relationships and they are afraid to leave the situation. But for an individual to come forth with the truth and able to talk and apologize to the public that has solely supported her since her reign as Ms Navajo, that is courageous. Yes she did wrong, but we are all not perfect individuals, life would be just too easy if our lives were perfect. We would not be able to experience the true meaning of grief/sorrow/pain/joy,etc. We all learn from our mistakes, but I know Millie does have a passion for children and teaching the youth. How many other Miss Navajo's have gone the great lengths to put so much effort into providing to the youth/children, especially donating all their earnings to the Navajo Nation Children's Fund? I think we should all look past this incident and continue to support her. She is a true blessing to many family/friends and youth that admire her. But she truly is a Strong Dine Woman regardless of the choices she has had to make in her life up to here.
BurBz is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 02:06 PM   #13
PowWows.com Addicts

luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
...4 words...

..."reap what you sew"
Old 12-12-2002, 03:51 PM   #14
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
I do not know this lady, but I do not need to. If you do something really bad, and this is bad, then you need to pay for it. I don't care who you are.

I have a family member that did something bad. He is a good guy, but what he did was bad. I don't blame the justice system for putting him away awhile.

I know we all make mistakes in life, but this was a pretty big f&#$#$king mistake that this lady made. It is something that she will have to pay for.

If the Navajo Nation does strip her, do you blame them? She represented that tribe as an ambassador.What was done was counterproductive and hypocritical to what all tribes are trying to do, steer everyone away from drugs.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #15
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
NN to strip her??? lol

Quote:
[i]

If the Navajo Nation does strip her, do you blame them? She represented that tribe as an ambassador.What was done was counterproductive and hypocritical to what all tribes are trying to do, steer everyone away from drugs. [/B]
Umm i highly doubt the Navajo Nation will turn their backs on her. She has much continued support already from her own community along with others on the Navajo Nation, including the Pres and VP of the tribe. I guess see for yourself... http://www.thenavajotimes.com that's just my 2 cents. :)
BurBz is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 06:47 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Dang I knew girlfriend had some problems, just didn't know they were that deep. Dang Mia, least you confessed to your wrongs and apologized to your people, and I mean "your" people. We would never turn our backs on our own kind. No way never. She'll come around again, we all have our days walking on sunshine, and our days crawling through the deep darkness. Let him:Angel: carry you for now Mia. As for the rest of you people, thanks for the support for one my own, many many thanks.:Thumbs
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 07:35 PM   #17
Head Dancer

Well tell Millie about this!!!!!!!!

I'll go ahead and show this thread to Millie. For sure my sister would thank everyone for there concerns and prayers. May the Great Creator bless each and everyone of us.....

Ahe hee, shi ke do shi dine.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:14 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

lumbeedancer is a name known to all
Re: NN to strip her??? lol

Quote:
Originally posted by luvlybutterfly
Umm i highly doubt the Navajo Nation will turn their backs on her. She has much continued support already from her own community along with others on the Navajo Nation, including the Pres and VP of the tribe. I guess see for yourself... http://www.thenavajotimes.com that's just my 2 cents. :)
I didn't know that her sentence is not for selling drugs but for not reporting someone who she knew was. In this case I don't think she should serve any time.

I feel sorry for her, I don't blame her for not reporting someone who she may have been very close to or who may have intimidated her not to say anything. Come on, how many of you people out there know someone who sells drugs and don't report them. I'll bet most of you probably do! How many of you got a cousin or or somebody who sells? Tell the truth. If her sentence is for only not reporting her boyfriend (as it says in this article) than I think it is rediculouse. Her boyfriend sold the drugs not her, send him to the pen.

I highly doubt that the judge grew up his whole life without knowing someone who did something illegal and didn't report it. Maybe one of his high school or college buddies sold a little weed on the side and he didn't say anything. Who knows? This whole thing is rediculouse. They need to give the girl a friggen break.
lumbeedancer is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2002, 10:16 AM   #19
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Indianz.Com. In Print.
URL http://www.indianz.com/News/show.asp?ID=2002/12/13/cody

Begaye says Cody was a role model
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2002

Outgoing Navajo Nation President Kelsey Begaye said former Miss Navajo Nation Radmilla A. Cody was a role model for Navajo people despite her involvement in an international drug ring.

Begaye in a statement said news of Cody's guilty plea and 21-month prison sentence should not diminish the title she once held. "Miss Navajo Nation is the epitome of what we refer to as the Navajo woman, the matriarch of our society," the Associated Press quoted the statement as saying.

Cody is set to report to federal authorities on January 6, 2003, to serve her term. She admitted to helping distribute marijuana but not alerting authorities about it. She said she was in an abusive relationship at the time.

Get the Story:
Begaye: Keep respect for title (AP 12/13)

Relevant Documents:
Navajo Times Letter (December 5, 2002) | Plea Agreement (March 14, 2002) | Sentence for 21 Months (November 13, 2002)

Relevant Links:
Darrell Dwight Bellamy, 15 Most Wanted - http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/wanted/bellamy.html
Miss Radmilla Cody - http://www.navajoland.com/missnn/millie
Miss Navajo Nation - http://www.missnavajo.org
Native American Music Awards - http://www.nammys.com

Related Stories: Convicted Cody: I lied to the people (12/12)

Shirley urges support for convicted Cody (12/11)
Miss Navajo Nation sentenced (12/10)

Copyright Indianz.Com 2000-2002.
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #20
Head Dancer

At least she shut up the local newspaper company here in town from writing about her. She told for them to change there motto from:

The truth well told to The truth well stretched which is very true there forever stretching the truth.