Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives How do you carry your poles? How do you carry your poles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tipis is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
How do you carry your poles?

I have always carried my poles on top of my car/suv/van with the butts of the poles facing front.
How do others like to carries thiers?

Tipis
tipis is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
I don't have a lodge but a friend always carried his on top of his car with the butts towards the back.
Now ask what kind of car he had ...:D

He had a little chevette. That made for some intereresting road trips. !!! :p
Old 02-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Brown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,012.25
We have a F150 pickup that carries the poles.
We bought some racks that fit around the cap. A friend of ours that welds made us a long bracket that mounts on the front of the truck so the poles dont bounce around. The bracket fits onto an upside down trailer hitch so that it can be removed. The hitch has been welded onto to pieces of metal that bolt into the frame underneath the bumper.
The bracket comes in handy too as a place to hang my camp shower! :)

Jill
Brown wlf is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
Teen Dancer

Shower???

Love the idea of a camp shower. Send some pictures to the tipi site and I will put them on.

Great second use for these hitches.
tipis
Old 02-17-2002, 12:47 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

hawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond repute
For the past 18 years I've been hauling the poles on top of my van. I have an industrial rack, only thing strong enough to take the weight and not bend. I get all the usual comments, "why dont you cut your firewood?", etc. Butt end forward, four feet off the front, and the rest of the 30 footers off the back end.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:00 AM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
I carry my 23' 4" poles on my Toyota Privia Van's roof.

The rack i've made is from 2 steel pipes on the roof, with the pipes being covered in foam pipe insulation. I then use 4 foam canoe carrying blocks that are duck taped to the pipe insulation foam.

I also use a backpacking foam pad on the center of the roof to protect it from poles.

To keep the front of the poles stable, i use more steel pipes and 2 t joints to create an "I" support brace that just rests on the front bumper.

I carry the poles with the butts towards the back and have about a foot of the butts hanging out past the rear bumper and about 6 feet poles extending past the front bumper.

It works for me.

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Brown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond reputeBrown wlf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,012.25
Re: Shower???

Quote:
Originally posted by tipis
Love the idea of a camp shower. Send some pictures to the tipi site and I will put them on.

Great second use for these hitches.
tipis
It's nothing fancy, just one of those black plastic bags with a short hose and nozzle on the end. heats up in the sun so you get hot water. I usually bring a bathing suit to wear for showering in those situtions but I bet i could tarp off an area around the front of the truck.

I'll try and post a pic of the bracket. It looks like a field goal post.

Jill
Brown wlf is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2002, 09:18 PM   #8
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 57,712.43
Savings: 1.00
I work construction , so if I go by myself , I take them on my truck. It has ladder racks . If the family goes , then we take my wifes van , and the poles go on a trailer , special built for them. Poles are 32' and the trailer is 30' w/4 supports and a storage box , for the cover liners , and all the other camp gear we take. I can carry up to 3 sets on the trailer , or 2 sets on my pickup.Later
wardancer is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

wapini hota is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

We used to haul 'em on our pickup truck, with special racks, but the pickup truck wasn't big enough for all our gear and for us to sleep in, so we got a big Dodge van, and mounted the 20' poles atop of that. Now we don't have that any more, and I'd not been healthy enough in the past few years to do the pow wow/rondezvous circuit, so we are still figuring what's next.

However, I'm better now, so maybe we will be out there again soon. The lodge isn't decorated externally, but I've done a lot of decorating inside.
wapini hota is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2002, 10:24 PM   #10
Gourd Dancer

MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
Question How do YOU carry your poles?

I'm getting a 14ft tipi with 24ft poles. How can I tote it with a '99 Dodge Stratus? :Thinking

Horror stories appreciated. :JawDrop
Old 03-08-2002, 08:35 AM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
Do you have a front and back bumper that is flat on the top surface?

I carry my poles on my 91 Toyota Previa, on it's roof.
The butts extend out the back about 1 foot and the tips extend out the front about 8 feet, with a steel "I" brace that sits on the front bumper, and two steel pipes on the roof.
All those pipes are covered in pipe insulation and duck tape and the two pipes on top are nestled in two canoe carrying foam blocks.
I've hauled these for up to 500 miles like this (in one day) and never any problems (just some strange looks).

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2002, 01:17 PM   #12
Teen Dancer

Cool

:JawDrop
Ok....that was funny. One at a time......
Sure must take you a while to get somewhere.

tipis
Old 03-08-2002, 02:47 PM   #13
Gourd Dancer

ONE AT A TIME...hmmm, what a concept...too bad our gas prices just went up again! *grumble*

My big brother, Mr Ideaguy, asked why don't I cut them in half, put screws in 'em and ......
Old 03-08-2002, 07:21 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

Thumbs down

What a way to ruin a good set of poles. Thought about it too, decided that this is not a good idea and constant up keep at they continually change in shape and thickness.

And that can also creat a drip line. :(

tipis
Old 03-09-2002, 01:46 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

DungHill is an unknown quantity at this point
I try to carry my pole with one hand!

Dunghill
DungHill is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

whirlwind is an unknown quantity at this point
But can you write your name in the snow with it???

Whirlwind
whirlwind is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2002, 10:15 AM   #17
Teen Dancer

Arrow

I knew I would get some "strange" answers on this question.

tipis
Old 03-10-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

NativeWay is infamous around these parts
I motified a 4'X8' utility trailer adding a 10' tounge with front box to contain the base of poles then two braces to slope the poles up the back of the trailer. I can now carry poles for an 16' & 12' tipi and enough cargo room for additional goods.
NativeWay is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2002, 08:30 PM   #19
Gourd Dancer

I think my car will need a rack and canoe/kayak riggings.
Or maybe I'll make a deal with my brother...trade my Stratus for his nused Blazer. hmmmmm

Awwwwww, he'll NEVER go for it
Old 03-24-2002, 10:58 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

hawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond reputehawkin has a reputation beyond repute
Careful when you look at racks.. you want one that is strong, in order to carry the weight. I used to have a light rack, and it bent into many shapes when I did my first run with a load. I now have an Industrial (pipe) rack.. worth the money, been using it for near 20 years. I carry 25 to 30 ft long poles on top of my van. Also you may want to concider the state troopers. They seem to have some say as to the way the poles are carried. Four feet out from the front bumper, and the rest can hang out the back.. plus a light is required off the rear tip at nite... Never have done that.. just use alot of bright nylon tape streamers.