Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives INDIAN, AMERICAN INDIAN OR NATIVE? INDIAN, AMERICAN INDIAN OR NATIVE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2000, 04:07 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Robert Laughing Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I jnever said reservations were bad...they are all we have left...but you can say that in the old days we were not pushed onto reservations...that would be the misnomer. We were given the choice of reservations or death and look at what happened to the people that tried to fight that movement...we were pushed onto rservations. Very few ndns in the old days lived on the reservations by their own choice. How esle would you explain sitting bull and crazy horse keeping their people in powder river country because crazy horse said "i didnt saign the treaty, idid not ask you white men to come here" eventually seeing his people starving he relented to the inevitable, and look what he got for it. The greatest warrior that ever lived stabbed in the back. Or geronimo defying to go to rservations and stying in canyon deshay...there are tons of these stories..reservations now should be a since of pride and hope...but make no mistake in the old days most people were forced onto these areas. That was my point.

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
http://community.wolfstar.com/sc-aim
Robert Laughing Owl is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2000, 05:16 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

rabbitbelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Correct Robert. And let's not forget the 'trail of tears' for the south east tribes, the relocation of the Iroquios to western ny and Canada, The Nez Perce, geez it goes on. True the lakota got to stay in relatively the same land they had lived in before reservations, but let's not forget that if they ventured from the prescribed boundries, they were met with punishment or death. Unless they had permission from the Indian agent. Sounds kinda corraled to me! http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gif
rabbitbelly is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2000, 05:17 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

OnTheRoad is an unknown quantity at this point
BPlenty might I add that Charleston is the party town of the South!

OTR
OnTheRoad is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2000, 07:54 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

RandyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Robert, I'm sorry that the people you have met here in the South have left you with such a feeling. I know my good friend is from New Mexico. And he has said many times how much he loves this area and the people. He has said many times that he would like to see his family move here.
Maybe you should move up to East Tenn.
RandyE is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2000, 12:56 AM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

I would just like to take the time to thank you for being as nice as you have been to me. For the life of me i will never understand the rest of the people down here and I believe they all live in the south mostly and have met me before...man i hate living in the south....well anyway thanks again
Quote:
Originally posted by rabbitbelly:
Correct Robert. And let's not forget the 'trail of tears' for the south east tribes, the relocation of the Iroquios to western ny and Canada, The Nez Perce, geez it goes on. True the lakota got to stay in relatively the same land they had lived in before reservations, but let's not forget that if they ventured from the prescribed boundries, they were met with punishment or death. Unless they had permission from the Indian agent. Sounds kinda corraled to me! http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
Old 06-28-2000, 11:47 AM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

powwowbum is an unknown quantity at this point
Meanwhile, back at the topic: all of the full-blood elders with whom I have contact use the word Indian. It only seems to be the newbies who have a problem with the term. First Nations appears to be growing in popularity though, particularly in Canada.

As for Russel Means; most everyone outside of AIM feels that Russel has left a consistent wake, and it’s not positive. Even on his on reservation, people remember well when Russel publicly blasted natives who participated in the movie industry, saying that they were selling their “Indianess.” Yet, within a few years, he’s in the movie business.

Most importantly, Russel may very well bring down the legal status of all Native nations through his recent actions. On one hand he claims that Indian nations are sovern nations (based on treaty language) and should therefore be autonomous in their judicial jurisdiction. Yet, the Navajo Supreme Court has indicted him for assaults he (allegedly) committed while on the Navajo reservation, but he refuses to answer their indictment by filing in US Federal Court that they have no jurisdiction over him. If he really is working for all Native people, he should acknowledge the judicial authority of the Navajo Supreme Court and face the charges against him.

I know he’s a man, and thus, will make mistakes. But if you evaluate his leadership over the long haul, what he’s left behind is turmoil and controversy.

At least that’s opinion.
powwowbum is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2000, 07:57 PM   #27
{|}Stoney Creek{|}

[]FlyByNyte[] is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 300.00
Quote:
Originally posted by OnTheRoad:
BPlenty might I add that Charleston is the party town of the South!

OTR
i like partying in Greenville or Clemson SC better....or even Charlotte, NC
hehe

------------------
Ancial

Work like you don't need the money, Love like you never been hurt, and Dance like nobody is watching.

[This message has been edited by TrueWarrior (edited June 29, 2000).]
[]FlyByNyte[] is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2000, 09:12 AM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by powwowbum:
Meanwhile, back at the topic: all of the full-blood elders with whom I have contact use the word Indian. It only seems to be the newbies who have a problem with the term. First Nations appears to be growing in popularity though, particularly in Canada.

As for Russel Means; most everyone outside of AIM feels that Russel has left a consistent wake, and it’s not positive. Even on his on reservation, people remember well when Russel publicly blasted natives who participated in the movie industry, saying that they were selling their “Indianess.” Yet, within a few years, he’s in the movie business.

Most importantly, Russel may very well bring down the legal status of all Native nations through his recent actions. On one hand he claims that Indian nations are sovern nations (based on treaty language) and should therefore be autonomous in their judicial jurisdiction. Yet, the Navajo Supreme Court has indicted him for assaults he (allegedly) committed while on the Navajo reservation, but he refuses to answer their indictment by filing in US Federal Court that they have no jurisdiction over him. If he really is working for all Native people, he should acknowledge the judicial authority of the Navajo Supreme Court and face the charges against him.

I know he’s a man, and thus, will make mistakes. But if you evaluate his leadership over the long haul, what he’s left behind is turmoil and controversy.

At least that’s opinion.
I really cant disagree with you on the most of this...but you have left some things out. There was a time esoecially when he was young that he really was quite radical about everything...and now that he has gotten older and a little more mellow I think satements like the movie thing turn to bite him back...but he is human, and it is human to error. I would like to day though that you named 2 instances that were admittedly bad, for the hundreds of good things that he has done. I respect russell a great deal and am happy to work with him, those who have never met him do not know what a great person he is. Lets not leave out the Bellecourts, the self proposed leaders of the grand governing council that were thrown out of AIM in the early 90s to just say that they owned aim and started a following. They are known drug dealers and users, have even been known to distribute weed at protests. It is sad that people like this never get blasted, but russell does. The way that I see it is that all of us in AIM have our own part to play and it is up to us to create the way that out chapters are seen , and to help people with all that we can. Leonard peltier said that there are no followers in AIM we are all leaders, an army of one to ourselves

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
Old 06-30-2000, 09:13 AM   #29
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by TrueWarrior:
i like partying in Greenville or Clemson SC better....or even Charlotte, NC
hehe
hey...next time you come here you get no pizza....lol go get your pizza in greenville....lol
Old 06-30-2000, 03:34 PM   #30
kahkakew

Here in my family there are several elders who are full blooded who never have registered with indian affairs. The department of indian affairs calls these people non-status or non-treaty indians, yet a white women and her half breed kids who married a registered indian before 1985 is considered an indian by the government....stupid!

Here one looks at the persons lineage and often fullbloods or those with more than half indian blood are called indians, half breeds and those less than half are commonly called half breeds, those with little indian blood are called metis or wannabees...or as I have stated part of the mosquito tribe.

Many of the true indians here are the ones who never signed treaty, yet they speak their language and never had to suffer the evils of residential school and the church.

We are indians, not aboriginals or indigenous. Our communities are referred to as Aboriginal or First nations communities by governemnts, but to most of us indians who truly are indians , they are indian reserves.

I never have been to the south so I cannnot comment on the parties there, but as the topic started out, it asked what our ideas were about different terminology.

Persons of east indian descent are known as hindus, pakis, sikhs or whatever regon they orignate from, they are not indians, we are.

Kahkakew
  Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2000, 10:05 PM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

Sir Dunksalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Greenville? Charleston! Please, you folks have clearly never been to Knoxville TN. Clemson? Maybe for you Boy Scouts.

------------------
Sir Dunksalot is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2000, 09:09 AM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Dunksalot:
Greenville? Charleston! Please, you folks have clearly never been to Knoxville TN. Clemson? Maybe for you Boy Scouts.
Thats the party town huh?!lol...will have to make it out there some day...where is elvis from was it knoxville?
Old 07-03-2000, 04:07 PM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

OnTheRoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Sir Dunksalot and True Warrior:
I have been to Knoxville on several occassions, many friends go to college there. My sister went to Clemson, I know the scene. However gentlemen, Charleston is not a college town like the others, it is a year round beach party! How many other places are so laid back? Or can you hang?

OTR
OnTheRoad is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links