Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Iroquoian Singing and Dancing Iroquoian Singing and Dancing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2000, 08:44 AM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
Savings: 0.00
Yes I do. my momma works with Eva Taylor, she is Emma's daughter. THey are my clan too. Bear Taylor (ramona) is always at the stomp dances. Why? Sorry it took so long to answer you.
Tooter
Tooter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2000, 10:35 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

Henry is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Hey Smoke,

Dont know if you are still paying attention to this post...

I love the smoke dance competitions here in Ny...I hail from Buffalo so i get to catch a fair amount of them especailly at the Salamance pow wow every year..Have you ever danced there???? Maybe i have seen you...It is a pretty good size pow wow..this year the had about 260 dancers..record for them...The weather was kind of rought though...alot of rain...

Well...just wanted to let you know...If you ever come down this way let me know I would love to watch you dance

Henry
Henry is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2000, 01:12 AM   #23
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
I am so happy to see interest in the Smoke Dance and stomps. These dances have been resurrected in NC by a group of kids called "The Seventh Generation" of Pembroke, NC. The group is comprised of Lumbee and Tuscarora tribes, who began re-learning the way about two years ago with the help of Pura' Fe of Ulali. She helped with song, dance and helped the kids with their regalias. She is an awesome lady.

Some people in that region never stopped dancing Iroquoian style. People like John Oxendine II, who would compete against the fancy dancers, in full Iroquoian garb, head to toe. He is an awesome dancer, and a great friend to boot!!

Groups like the Haudoshaunee Dance Troop, lead by Mike and Daphne Dunn, traveled for years from the Pembroke, NC area, where there is still a large population of Tuscarora's from different bands.

Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2000, 01:14 AM   #24
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Cool

Oh, and the best singers of Iroquoian songs? John Oxendine, II, Pura' Fe, David Locklear, Mike Dunn, Pedro and Brian Graham.
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2000, 05:18 PM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

Kaleina is an unknown quantity at this point
Tooter, sorry its taken me so long to write back also! well, my aunt, Dolores Taylor, is her daughter in law. she is married to Enos Taylor; Emma's son. wow, thats pretty cool that you know them!
Kaleina
Kaleina is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 12:51 AM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
Well let me apologize too for taking so long. I having been snatching baby's adn getting ready for court.

That was joke! I'm a social worker and have to have a since of humor about this work or it will get to me. If it's not the parents then it is the paper chasing. WHOOOOOO!

I know exactly who that is. That is pretty Kewl! Delores is really nice. Enos and her have a daughter right?

Talk to you laterz, Toot
Tooter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2000, 09:16 AM   #27
Runs with Scissors

Nagi is an unknown quantity at this point
Side note question: Can you guys recommend some folks to talk to about the Women's singing societies and their songs? We have found one recording (We Will All Sing) at SOAR, but would like to know more and understand a bit about what we are hearing.

Also, are the dances you've been talking about on any purchasable videos? I keep trying to get pictures in my mind, have heard stomp dance songs and read about how a stomp dance works, but never seen it. The smoke and stick dances are totally new to me.

Last - The Big Mountains -- we met part of them (Little, Otter, and the twins) this past spring -- I think they should also be called the Big Heart family and that Little and his wife should get a medal of honor for parenting skills. Mere words can't express how truly genuine, sincere, and wonderful these folks are. We're all looking forward to seeing them at our next powwow here in Knoxville and I hope the whole family can come! I know my niece is looking forward to another 3 evenings of playing cards with Otter and my husband is looking forward to the "campfire" chats with Little! http://www.powwows.com/ubb/wink.gif He had us in stitches the whole time.
Nagi is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2000, 08:36 AM   #28
Pow Wow Visitor

Lee Winterhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, everybody...

A friend needs help finding an applique pattern that she thinks is Iroquoian. Until the moderators tell me not to, I'm gonna cross-post this to a several boards in hopes of helping her find an answer.

The applique is 'tree of life.' She saw it on an Iroquois wrap skirt in a Whispering Winds and in other places. The tree begins in the lower right-hand corner of the skirt flap (as you look at the person wearing the skirt) and goes diagonally up and to the left.

If anybody knows where there's a pattern or a really good depiction of one, would you please post it or send me a private mail?

This is for my friend who is determined to dress in an old way...and this she considers an old way.

Many megwetch in advance,
Lee
Lee Winterhunter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2000, 05:32 PM   #29
Tiny Tot Dancer

raptor is an unknown quantity at this point
Try finding a copy Lyford's 'Iroquois Crafts'. I think Irocrafts sells it and it should also be available from a decent library or through inter library loan.
The 'tree of life'is almost a requirement on wrap-around skirts. There are probably as many designs as there are women who wear them.

The old Akwesasne Mohawk Counslor pamphlet, as I recall, has a couple of designs in it.
The booklet was called 'Iroquois Costume', and i think it is also available in reprint.
raptor is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2000, 10:03 AM   #30
Pow Wow Visitor

Lee Winterhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
A thousand thanks!!!!!

I've forwarded the info to my friend and when she finishes her skirt, will get her to post a photo!

Megwetch, dziekuje & danke!
Lee
Lee Winterhunter is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links