LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2000, 01:19 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RW is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking Leggings

Hello There! Iam in the process of making a new set of dance cloths for the hot weather we have been having up here lately. I was gonna make a new lighter pair of deer skin leggins and was just thinking about the style of leggins Iam gonna make. I have seen a lot of leggins up here and around that have black stripes going horizontal from the knee down. Have ya'll seen this on leggins? and what does it mean? Just thought I would ask. I apreciate it. Also has anyone heard about Flicker Feathers on regalia?? Some one just gave me a bunch and I would like to make use of them. I know what they mean up here and with local tribes but thought ya'll might have some input to share. Thanks.
take care.
Rich
Rich
take care.
Rich
RW is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2000, 10:21 AM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

Robert Laughing Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
some people would paint leggings with similar reasons of painting shields. There are all kinda resons i have heard and im not sure which one is right, they may be different for different tribal affiliations as well. The stripes I have heard represented coups, or depending on the number of them directions. I have known people that have painted seven on each legging, and some that has painted 4 in regards to what those numbers represent. I would suggest using 4 or 7 that seems to be the given numbers that people put on their leggings. But lets face it to, some people just use it because the like the way it looks, and there is nothing wrong with that.
As for flickers they are for good luck to alot of people, and if you got alot of them they can get ya some good trades in certain places. hope this helps...

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
http://community.wolfstar.com/sc-aim
Robert Laughing Owl is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2000, 11:03 AM   #3
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
The traditional stripes usually did mean Coup marks.
The flicker feathers have been used on traditional shirts for many years. They are considered medicine birds by some tribes. You will see many with the Cheyenne and Commanche. Today you see an associatin with some of the Peyote Church material.
The Flicker feathers were put in bunches on the shoulders of Old shirts.
Still want to warn non Indians that these feathers are illegal for possesion.

tipis
tipis is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2000, 08:36 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

the mohave people also used the flicker for good luck in war and hunt...in old style hunting packages the mohave people always had a flicker bunch that was tied to their hair during the hunt to ensure good luck...their are alot of old beliefs like this. in alot of tribes the woodpecker was equivalent to an eagle...most tsalagi tribes saw the woodpecker this way.

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
Old 07-10-2000, 10:56 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

powwowbum is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually saw a young guy confonted once by a veteran, about his stripes on leggings. Unless you have war journies to tally up, a freindly suggestion that you consider some other option.

peace

powwowbum is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2000, 11:07 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by powwowbum:
I actually saw a young guy confonted once by a veteran, about his stripes on leggings. Unless you have war journies to tally up, a freindly suggestion that you consider some other option.

peace
just curious, but where was this? i see that alot of times in the southern plains veterans often times deman more respect than some up north. Just an observation, dont know if it means anything. But they can represent other things than battle related marks...

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
Old 07-10-2000, 11:38 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

RW is an unknown quantity at this point
Howdy Folks!! Thanks for replying to my questions. Iam finished with my leggins and now am just thinking of what I will put on them. Maybe some beadwork or something.
I will sit with the stripes for a while and see what happens http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gifIam goin to go visit with the older folks today and see what there view is also.
In the spirit of sharing..Heres what I have been told about Flickers. They are the drummers bird,and for that they help give a person rythem and time. Becuz of the way they fly, they can give a person swift moves in battle or dancing. In the alaskan community they are worn on the "shukiet" the chiefs frontlet. along with sealion wiskers. the feathers are regarded like Eagle feathers are in the lower 48 states. I always am surprized when Iam dancing Alaskan style with my Friends and they just leave there Eagle feathers laying around. To them they are a clan and dont have the all the symbolism we folks have about them. They are so plentiful up there they used to tie a bunch to a stick to use them as brooms! Thats one of the many reason there is this clash between the Alaskan and lower 48 folks in my area like in Seattle.

Thanks so much for your input.
Take care.
RW is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2000, 02:19 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

brooms....lol...i never heard that one before...maybe i can talk one of em out of a broom or 2...lol

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
Sponsored Links