PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Archives (http://forums.powwows.com/f37/)
-   -   Native American Station Programming (http://forums.powwows.com/f37/native-american-station-programming-5598/)

Smokin' Ace 10-01-2002 05:09 PM

Native American Station Programming

Ok, kiddies - I need help!

I am designing a Native American program in my Broadcast Programming class.

The format includes original shows such as:

1) A Native American talk show called "Native America Today", to be hosted by Buffy St. Marie. The show will focus on Native American contemporary issues, and have daily segments

2) Fry Bread Heaven - Cooking and Craft show hosted by Miriam Longfeather.

30 minute show that allows Miriam to assist the audience in experiencing Native American delicacies. She also demonstrate her unique beading, quill and leather work. Miriam also allows the audience to walk thru her herb and vegetable garden.

3) Native American Videos - Hosted by Kay Oxendine - each week a new video will be featured of a Native American just starting out - but will have all time favorites Bill Miller, Buffy St. Marie - and Tha Tribe, just to name a few.

4) Senaca - a Young boy from Six Nations shares his experiences with the us each week, about his life on the Six Nations reserve.

5) Rezzed out - A Native American comedy about a Navajo Family that hit it big and moved to New York City.

But we are also going to feature a pow-wow of the week and cover sports events, along with movies such as Smoke Signals and Last of the Mohicans.

Anyway - I need your opinions - would you watch this Station? Which would be your favorite shows? What are some suggestions?

Thanks to all for your imput. :)

Singing Eagle 10-01-2002 05:20 PM

No soap?

No soap opera - some ideas for titles:

As the bannock burns....

Are those all my children....?

or a Jerry springer type show called

Heard you been talking 'bout me.....

Back me up......

Or an automotive tips show called

My pony threw me...

My rez car...

A home improvements show called

Bailing wire and duct tape toolbox

or a lonely hearts show called

If you're leavin' - take me with you....

Smokin' Ace 10-01-2002 07:36 PM

Hey those can be in later production Singing Eagle - that's a hoot!

My pony threw me - yehaw = that is funny! :)

Dezimber 10-01-2002 08:11 PM

How about something for the children??

It sounds pretty good so far... I would watch. I think it would be great if this becomes a reality in the near future.

PensaCrowGirl 10-01-2002 08:15 PM

It sounds worth getting a TV for!:) But first we have to get electricty, going to a freinds house to use computer, or phone can be embarrassing, I can't get a job with out a phone! I hope if I do get a job they won't ask me to get a computer too!:eek:

Smokin' Ace 10-01-2002 09:11 PM

Senaca is a cartoon for kids - we would also have a few other cartoons on here - like a Pocahontas deal and Squanto - this is a new station remember? WE can all write new stuff!

Pensa - that is cute! :)

Singing Eagle 10-01-2002 09:15 PM

Ace - yah gotta have some kind of show for the teen crowd too....sorry no title ideas. And how about a news program with a native Katie couric.

This station is a great idea by the way.

Dezimber 10-01-2002 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Smokin' Ace
Senaca is a cartoon for kids - we would also have a few other cartoons on here - like a Pocahontas deal and Squanto - this is a new station remember? WE can all write new stuff!

Sorry, I only skimmed the poll chioces but read the discriptions and missed that that was a cartoon. That is cool! Once the station is established you could also add something along the the lines of Sesame Street. I understand about limited budgets and not be able to write all new stuff.
I heard that Barney started in someone's garage and that a couple of the children were part of the original cast that aired. Just a thought!

Smokin' Ace 10-01-2002 10:00 PM

Yeah - there are no limits out there! I am excited over this project!

CHEROSAGE 10-02-2002 12:18 AM

I hope this becomes reality for all of us. I used to have a crush on Buffy when I was a KID. We don't receive any kind of Indian type showtime except Dances With Wolves which I believe has helped the Indian People in Hollywood.

Good Luck with this project!!!!!!!!!

Mato Winyan 10-02-2002 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Smokin' Ace

Pensa - that is cute! :)

Don't know if you remember them or not but the only "native" cartoon my kids grew up on was the Paw Paw Bears!

http://members.aol.com/shagrugg/pics/ppcart.gif

Smokin' Ace 10-02-2002 05:58 PM

please post your opinion!

Hey kiddies! Your opinion is very important to me = would you please post which show you would watch the most on my projected Native American Television Station, the Pow-wow Highway?? Since it is a new station, I am trying to build numbers and see what show will work the best!

Thanks in advance!

**and yes, this is duplicated from Chit Chat! :)

Mato Winyan 10-02-2002 07:48 PM

Can't get the poll to take my vote and I don't feel like switching browsers..:p

Here is what I would watch and in order:

What sounds most interesting to me, which I would probably watch on a regular basis.

1~ Rezzed out? *Comedy
2~ Fry Bread Heaven*Cooking/Crafts Show
3~ Pow-wow of the week

Interested but not as much as the top three. I still would watch them.

4~ Native America Today *Talk show
5~ Native American Videos * Music Videos

Just because they would be on the native channel.

6~ Senaca *Cartoon
7~ Sports (Lacrosse/Indian Rodeo)

Hope it helps!

Smokin' Ace 10-02-2002 09:23 PM

Yes it does help - thank you! :)

pateiwah 10-03-2002 10:16 AM

native american tv shows

oh boy, pick just one??!!??
not fair, should have added a choice all of the above, lol
I'd watch all.. but the one I'd watch least would be the sports one
would this be a cable choice? or on the computer
the orange county (ca) pbs station has a native show and they have one in san diego too ch 3 but I do not get it here in azusa
they tape alot of the pow wow's around here you see them doing it and interviews too with the dancers

Gache 10-03-2002 10:48 AM

probably just sports cuz the rest is just white shows with native faces.. nothing new and original.

I would like to see a indian news program thats not in the morning.

If a jerry springer type show did come on I would program out the entire station

The music part is nice.

Smokin' Ace 10-03-2002 11:18 AM

Wow - I couldn't post all the programs that we have scheduled, but the continued list includes:

First People's Court
Native News at 11:45 am - 15 minute segment
Native Peoples TV *already produced, airing currently*
North of 60 *already produced*
Native News at 6:00
2 movies each 24 hours segment (Last of the Mohicans and Smoke Signals were used for my sample)
and then, from 2-6 am - Native American Shopping Network!

So we have hopefully offered something for everyone - thanks for responding guys!

traci_m 10-03-2002 11:49 AM

Anything else we need to REALLY do to help, Smokin' Ace?

Smokin' Ace 10-05-2002 01:39 AM

Not right now = your responses were very important because it helped me develop a ratings system for the projected station - I gave the presentation with my group Thursday - will see how the professor liked it - the class loved it - we did a power point presentation (which was off the hook if I do say so myself), along with playing a pow-wow tape in the background.

See, even tho this was a class project - it is a dream of mine to make it happen - that would be spectacular - and I think it would fly!

Will keep you all updated. :)