Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Native Recipes Native Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Gourd Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
Savings: 0.00
Native Recipes

Does anyone have any good Native recipes to share?
I am very interested in learning how to make corn soup, but thought to open a thread to see what other kinds of recipes ya'll got tucked away...

I want to raise my daughter with native culture and how can you do that without native food?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Pyromomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
an easy one is roasted corn.
Simply take the ears of corn with the husks on, make sure that the husks are tight and fresh (soak them in water for an hour if they are not), place them on the fire in the hot coals (right on the coals, not suspended above) and leave them there until the outer husk starts to crisp (about 5 minutes), turn them over and repeat, then remove from the fire, peel back and eat! Add butter or salt if you wish.
The damp husks will steam the corn and keet it from burning.
Delicious!
Pyromomma is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Pyromomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, also just remembered. Do the same fire treatment above with squash. Hard shell will act as a pot and steam the squash (poke 3 holes in the top to the middle of the squash to let steam escape or it will blow up.)
And many native foods are now a part of modern culture. Corn, squash, and beans, plus you can buy buffalo meat and rabbit at some butcher shops (or you can find a hunter to bring you venison and squirrels). And salmon and other fish are certainly ancestral foods.
Pyromomma is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

oneangelsmiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet Corn Pudding

10-12 ears of corn
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 quart whole milk
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
3 eggs
salt to taste

Grate corn and mix with milk. (to make smoother run through colander) Work flour and butter creamy,then beat in sugar and egg yolks. Add beaten whites. Add in corn and milk mixture and salt to taste. bake at 325 degrees about one hour or until knife comes out clean
(if you like it sweeter, add in a little more sugar.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #5
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Hangover soup

There was once a thread on soups. Here's one.

Bag of macaroni. Two cans of diced tomatoes.

Cook macaroni. add the tomatoes. Enjoy.:)
Kiwehnzii is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
corn soup

Not sure what kind of corn soup you are wanting to make...but Iroquois corn soup is alot of work in mainly how the corn is treated prior to... But if you want a tasty substitute that takes alot less time and effort (so you don't have to go harvesting green corn and lying it and washing it ..LOL) Then a pound of pork or chicken or any wild game you might have (I like using pork but use lean stuff...) and cut it into small chunks, boil it slowley so that it does'nt get tough but makes a nice broth, then add in a can or two of white hominy and a can of kidney beans(rinsed). Sometimes I like to add onion and black pepper. As soon as the beans and hominy are hot the soup is ready for eating and is accompanied nicely with some good hot buttered fry bread.

It is'nt quite exactly the same...lord knows indian corn tastes so much better than canned stuff.. but it is a decent substitute and tastes good!
Blackbear is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Ruedog2U is an unknown quantity at this point
Website to Native Recipes

Here is a website that I've used it has some good recipes. It's pretty good, hope it helps you?
www.nativetech.org/food/index.php
Old 05-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
That's some real traditonal food there.. Kiwehnzii.. dats what we call "ndn soup.":D

Some moose meat stew...

Cut up some good stew moose meat. Boil until meat is tender. Add some veggies (potatoes, carrots, etc.. I usually keep it simple) and let those cook. In a cup, mix some flour and water... make sure it's not all thick... add this to your "stew"... boil for a few more minutes.. and wahla.. you've got home made stew.. or as we call it.. "Napan iiyabo" Very simple. You can add salt and pepper to give it some flavour.. or leave it out.. whatever tickles your fancy.

I'll think of some more recipies... for now.. gotta head home from work. :Chatter
Miss_Nish is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2002, 10:33 PM   #9
Gourd Dancer

MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
These are GREAT!

Don't worry about what kind of recipes...any kind of recipe is more than welcome.

Well, anything that doesn't have ochra or beef liver in it.

:p
Old 06-10-2002, 04:36 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

mamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant future
Re: Hangover soup

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
There was once a thread on soups. Here's one.

Bag of macaroni. Two cans of diced tomatoes.

Cook macaroni. add the tomatoes. Enjoy.:)
Never thought I would ever hear of anyone else who actually ate this. My Dad lived on macaroni and tomatoes:D It just can't be beat if U got some fry bread to go with it!!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:04 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

mamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant futuremamabear2018 has a brilliant future
My fave is deer BBQ. I prefer the tenderloin cuz it is much easier. I prefer using crock pots too. Put the amout of deer U want to feed your family in the crock pot, cover with equal parts water and vinegar and cook on high for 4 hrs. Drain and add your fave BBQ sauce(as much or little as U like) and cook another 2 to 3 hours on low. Stirring once or twice. I make my own sauce and I never measure anything, but there is ketchup, mustard, onions, brown sugar, vinegar and hot sauce in it. My "Nama" taught me to cook and she just threw stuff in the pot. So for amounts just trial and error and add to taste.
I KNOW NO MEASUREMENTS!!
Old 06-10-2002, 09:51 PM   #12
Just a poohbear

Items Treasure Chest
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,503.01
looking for a recipe...

...can someone help?

There is a lady that I always buy bread from at the powwows that I attend. She also makes and sells a cookie that I really like. I want to know how to make these cookies so I can have them in between powwows. I will try to describe them as best as I can so here goes; it is like a lightly sweeten biscit and looks similar to a shiny fig newton but without a filling. Does this sound familiar to anyone? They don't seem like they are very difficult to make.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:07 AM   #13
Just a poohbear

Items Treasure Chest
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,503.01
anyone?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

Sheila Manning is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry can't help ya.

I did just get a recipe for corn soup, let me know if blackbear sent it to ya, I got it from a person that we both know. And yes it is ALOT work.