Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Natives in Olympic Opening Natives in Olympic Opening

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2002, 11:02 AM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
itokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
OK Paul, that means if you can't post it on the website then you will have to make 2000 cpies and send them to each member!!!

C'mon, any GOOD webmaster would do that!!!

;)
Old 02-11-2002, 11:24 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

liltaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

It was simply amazing to see our people shining like that, all ages from small up the the old, the drums, the dancers....

Just amazing, for those that participated GREAT JOB, you represented our Native people with pride.

taz
liltaz is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 11:27 AM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

NDNKwe is an unknown quantity at this point
AWESOME!

The opening ceremonies were AWESOME! I watched the whole thing... It was great to see all those beautiful dancers out there REPRESENTIN for all us NDNs...

BTW the American athlete who greeted the leaders of the Utah tribes is NDN! Her name is Naomi Lang...she's Karuk from Cali but grew up in my hometown in Michigan... she's a 4-time National Ice Dancing Champion and will be competing in Ice Dancing with her partner Peter Tchernyshev and is the FIRST Native American woman to ever compete in the Winter Olympics and only the second to EVER complete in ANY Olympics! So tune in:

Friday, 15th: Compulsory Dances on NBC
(8:00-11:30 PM EST)
Sunday, 17th: Original Dances on NBC
(7:00-11:00 PM EST)
Monday, 18th: Free Dances on NBC
After all the competition is done the Exhibitions start:
Friday, 22nd: Exhibitions on NBC
NDNKwe is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

MWP is an unknown quantity at this point
Naomi Lang is not "only the second" Native to compete in any Olympics. Think about it: Jim Thorpe, Billy Mills (both of whom won gold medals), and I don't know if I'm missing any others. I think this was discussed in an earlier thread (maybe even this one). I don't mean any disrespect, I just want to make sure everyone's got the facts straight.

MWP
MWP is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 11:59 AM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

Renilde is an unknown quantity at this point
I missed the life broadcasting of the opening ceremony, cause that was on television here at 3 a.m. at night, so I was vast asleep, but they showed a good summary at the Dutch 8 o'clock news next day, including the native dancers. Was awesome!
Renilde is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

Oh, by the way, there's a nice picture in one of the slide shows on NBC's Olympics website of one of the tribal leaders that gave a blessing at the opening ceremonies. This was the only picture I could find of the Native portion of the ceremonies. The web address is
http://www.nbcolympics.com/x/f/frame...main_front.asp
and the slide show is entitled "Holding on to the light." You might have to surf arround to find it. You should be able to download this picture.

MWP
Old 02-11-2002, 02:43 PM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

NDNKwe is an unknown quantity at this point
Native WOMAN ... not just NATIVE!

No disrespect taken MWP...
I said that Naomi Lang was only the second Native WOMAN... (key word here is WOMAN) to ever complete in any Olympic Games. If you go back and read my post again maybe you'll catch that...
For the record, I do have my FACTS STRAIGHT!
NDNKwe is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 03:10 PM   #28
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Easssssssy ladies.
I had a chance to see Billy Mills and I missed it. I had to be in class. Man! I should've sluffed that day. I mean Thee Billy Mills on my rez! Oh what was I thinking! He is a way cool Native. The openings were cool I liked it. What am I saying it was the shizzzzzzzznit! the BOMB! the Honey on the frybread! the Coke/Pepsi with the mutton stew! I was moved. I wasn't there but in a weird way I was, know what I'm saying. So so cool. Especially when they introduced the Dine Nation and when the Dine leader welcomed and gave thanks to the athletes, the crowd was particulaly louder than when the others were introduced. Yep, that was a moment for me.
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 04:44 PM   #29
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,419.99
I've spent a good bit of time on the phone today with SLOC, NBC, etc. and they will not grant permission for me to broadcast it over the net!
Paul G is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 04:57 PM   #30
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
pictures

Indianz.com has pictures on it. Pictures I saw on NBC
Beth is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 05:42 PM   #31
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Naomi Lang... Jim Thorpe, Billy Mills (both of whom won gold medals), and I don't know if I'm missing any others.
yep... Andrew Sockalexis (Penobscot), U.S. marathon medal winner in the 1912 Olympics (cousin of Louis Francis Sockalexis, the first American Indian to play professional baseball on a major league team, 1897-1899, for the Cleveland Spiders. It is in his honor that they claim to have changed their name to the Indians in 1915 - that's their story, anyway).
Old 02-11-2002, 08:15 PM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sorry NDNKwe, I missed that little important detail. Please forgive my inability to read correctly.:D

Beth: Wouldn't that first picture in the Indianz.com gallery make an awesome poster? That's a pretty cool link.

MWP

Last edited by MWP; 02-11-2002 at 08:21 PM..
Old 02-11-2002, 09:14 PM   #33
Hello!

Mariposa is an unknown quantity at this point
DID ANYONE TAPE THE OPENING CEREMONY? I was so sick and never stayed up to watch it.....Please let me know, I want so bad to see history being made...:bouncy:
Mariposa is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 01:46 PM   #34
Tsuzy girl

silverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad they won't let you show yoru tape of the opening ceremonies.

Don't be surprised to see the Olympics come out with a video of their own of the opening ceremonies. And for a nomanal fee of course!!

It is an awsome thing to have our people honored in this way!

I missed it as well, would have loved to have seen history being made live!

Gonna go ck out that indianz.com site at least I can see some pix eh?

:)

SilverFeather
Old 02-13-2002, 02:10 PM   #35
Hello!

Silverfeather, did you find any pics? I went to that site you wrote about, but couldnt stay..
Old 02-13-2002, 05:04 PM   #36
Tiny Tot Dancer

Pictures on indianz.com

On indianz.com, you have to click on "more headlines" at the bottom of the main page. On 2/11 there was a headline about the Olympic opening ceremenies. Click on that, and then you will be able to open up an entire gallery of pics. Hope this helps. This URL should take you right to the picture gallery as well:

http://www.indianz.com/SmokeSignals/...02/02112002-1a

I really like the first picture. I wish they could make a poster or something out of that.

MWP
Old 02-13-2002, 09:44 PM   #37
Photographer

Sprocketali will become famous soon enough
Wow! You're right. That first picture is greeeeeaaaaat. I'd love to shake the hand of the person that shot it. I said the same thing..."They should make a poster outta that one." I've been scouring freelance sites, and I haven;t found anything else as far as pictures go. I'm hoping I'll come across some.

ali
But still notice the way that you walk"

--- Glen Phillips "Easier"
Sprocketali is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2002, 10:38 AM   #38
Hello!

Sprocketali
I love your quote, it is so real to me....Love is so much...and yes, it is risky.
Sponsored Links