Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Opening Ceremonies?
They Ruled!!! 38 65.52%
They were pretty neat 8 13.79%
They were ok 2 3.45%
they weren't anything special 0 0%
I didn't like them 0 0%
I didn't watch them 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Olympic Opening Ceremonies Olympic Opening Ceremonies

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OA Drummer2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Olympic Opening Ceremonies

Did any of you guys( and girls, of course) see those Opening Ceremonies???? That was Spectacular! What did you think about the Tribal Contribution? Was it good, was it respectful of tradition? Please, tell me your spin on them. I want to know.

-K:p
Old 02-09-2002, 12:21 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

swink49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looked good to me. Not sure if "respectful" was important, but I think they were given that part of the show to do what they felt was right. I just wanna know who the 5 drums were? That was my all time favorite song.
swink49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 12:24 AM   #3
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
I was totally blown away at the Ceremonies - I thought they were very respectful and was pleased at the large Native American presence there - Wow! It made me so proud - I called my family and we watched this historical event together - don't know if it will ever happen again, but maybe when my son, who is now almost 3, is a dad, he can tell his kids about it and they can know that the Native American presence was def part of the 2002 Winter Olympics. :)
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
Junior Dancer

musespirit is an unknown quantity at this point
Tonight we witnessed a new chapter in American Indian History.

Watching tonights show was the all time high for me. Tears of joy ran down my face.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:36 AM   #5
Photographer

Sprocketali will become famous soon enough
Talking

It was a beautiful thing...I haven't talked to my Dad in months...he called me tonight...he had been crying...and he asked me if I saw it...

It was a great ceremony..but more importantly, it put two people who love each other dearly back in touch :)

ali
But still notice the way that you walk"

--- Glen Phillips "Easier"
Sprocketali is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 03:02 AM   #6
Just a poohbear

Items Treasure Chest
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Dezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond reputeDezimber has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,503.01
That is good news Sprockatali! :) That is something that is more special that anything else in the world.

I thought that it was pretty good. This is the first year that I actually wanted to watch the opening ceremonies. I am not into sports that much but will watch some of the olympics.

Last edited by Dezimber; 02-09-2002 at 03:07 AM..
Dezimber is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

bullrider is a name known to all
Smile

I thought the opening ceremonies were great! I was so proud my whole family watched.
bullrider is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Siouxz96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up opening ceremonies

arial purple

I think the opening ceremonies were great. It did my heart good watching the Native American Indians for once in history take a rightful place in the Olympics during the opening ceremonies. Tears of joy ran down my face, besides being speechless, it was just an awesome experience to behold.
Siouxz96 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 05:41 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Siouxz96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up opening ceremonies

]

I think the opening ceremonies were great. It did my heart good watching the Native American Indians for once in history take a rightful place in the Olympics during the opening ceremonies. Tears of joy ran down my face, besides being speechless, it was just an awesome experience to behold.
Siouxz96 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

musespirit is an unknown quantity at this point
NBC showed some dancers and vendors today during the Men's Cross Country Ski. I hope they (NBC) give NDNs the long over-due recognition you deserve every day of the Olympics and longer - like forever.
I get a lump in my throat everytime I think about it.
:Thumbs: :clap: :dancer: :dancer: :clap:

Last edited by musespirit; 02-10-2002 at 11:12 AM..
musespirit is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002, 08:29 PM   #11
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
I don't remember when I have been so proud. It was just so awesome to see. Not only to have so many natives in one place but getting some of the attention that is soooooooo long overdue. I was so overcome with emotion. My daughter at first thought I was being silly, then she started to cry. I won't forget it. It truly was a moment in history for me.:)
Old 02-09-2002, 11:11 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Vicki is an unknown quantity at this point
You guyz nearly have me in tears from reading these posts. I did see the opening ceremonies and it really stired my emotions. I thought it was awesome.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:20 PM   #13
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
The opening with the Indian dancers was FANTASTIC!!!!!!
It absolutely had me shaking in my chair!!!
I was expecting it to be a small presentation....in fact I was afraid when they did the Indian portion of the show it would be very small, and it would be my luck that the network would go to commercial about the time they came out to dance.
So I was really proud, and SO THANKFUL that they were on for so long!!!! What a great show!!!!
Didn't it just make you jump out of your chair and dance with them!!!! WOW!!!!
NancyJo is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2002, 05:57 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

moose2u is an unknown quantity at this point
The winter Olympics are always a favorite at our house. This year's opening was incredible. The best that I had seen in a loooong time. Very respectful. Does anyone know the names of the five elders that took part in the presentation?
moose2u is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2002, 06:03 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Cheri is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

At the begining to see the WTC flag was heartbreaking. But tears of sorrow were quickly changed to tears of joy! I jumped out of my chair and started dancing in place. It was overwhelming !!!:clap: :flag:
Cheri is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I just wanna know who the 5 drums were?
Quote:
Does anyone know the names of the five elders that took part in the presentation?
you would kind of think that for such an important event, such a historical moment, that they would have bothered to mention these things, wouldn't you? I mean, especially since they took at least 3 full minutes to talk about Robbie Robertson, Rita Coolidge, and their heritage. :Thinking I wasn't entirely certain why their music was being used in the first place, which isnt to say that I don't like Robbie Robertson, 'cause I do, I'm just not sure that was the time or place for it. But then, without them maybe the skating glittery eagle hockey team would've felt out of place. :Eyebrows
Old 02-10-2002, 06:29 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

moose2u is an unknown quantity at this point
The glittering eagle hockey team :Chatter :Chatter When they came out I thought OH NO here we go again. What about those animal puppets?? Incredible. :Thumbs
moose2u is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2002, 11:10 PM   #18
Ladies S. Trad. Dancer

Waya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond reputeWaya's NDNGRL has a reputation beyond repute
The opening ceremony of the WINTER Olmpics was awsome. It definetly has everyone talking about it. Everytime I turn around someone is asking if I watched it. It put a silence to the whole room when we saw it.
Waya's NDNGRL is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 07:16 AM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Walbira is an unknown quantity at this point
Here in Australia my family and I too watched the opening, and the Indian segement was fabulous. and it makes me glad to know that so many of you approved. I too remember that feeling of amazing pride when Aboriginal Australians had such a prominent position in the opening of the last summer Olympics in Sydney.

Here in Australia since the early 90's , many significant large events and and community events are opened by Aboriginal people and dancers, even our state Parliment is opened by Aboriginal Reps when it convenes for the start of the year. The largest Rock Festival iin our state is even opened every year by Aboriginal artists. The next step of this is Aboriginal Australians to be more then just in the opening of such events, but to be threaded all the way through such an event.

Also thanks to this great site I was able to point out to my family the jingle dancers, the bustles, the hoop dancers, fancy feathers etc. Thanks to all those who post so i can be educated about your culture.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:22 AM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
I knew that the Olympic committee had planned to "honor" the NAs in some way, but WOW -- the honor was FANTASTIC! Not only was the event both powerful and touching, I was pleased to see so many of the people there. To me, the most impressive part was when the four chiefs/leaders were brought out on horseback. It linked the present-day powwow dancers to the old people, the traditionals, so beautifully. And the fact that there was such a wonderfully large production that involved so many elements -- yes, I definitely applaud the Olympic committee. Waste, well done!!
BeadedPony is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links