Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Opening Ceremonies?
They Ruled!!! 38 65.52%
They were pretty neat 8 13.79%
They were ok 2 3.45%
they weren't anything special 0 0%
I didn't like them 0 0%
I didn't watch them 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Olympic Opening Ceremonies Olympic Opening Ceremonies

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2002, 10:58 AM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
powwowlvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
i missed it!!!:Cry i heard it was great though...:p
Old 02-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #22
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
The opening was the best! I didn't like the thing with the coyotes, what was that all about? It looked stupid. I was really moved by the telecast. Especially when the Dine leader gave thanks and welcome to the athlete, man did you hear the crowd when they mention the Dine Nation. Anyways it was grity grity great! The Eagles were cool. The White buffalo thing I don't know? I only saw the Native section of the telecast, then off and on on the rest. Wooooah! The drums on ice with a blaze of sparks was the Shizzzzzzzznit. I was out of this world! Oh man the hoop dancer was also cool! He was probably cold too. I think it was Derick Davis. I wish Natives could be recognized like this every year, from every Nation, under you know who, indivisable, for today and all of eternity!
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 01:35 PM   #23
Junior Dancer

Lapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

All I could say was that was the best opening ceremony I have seen. Maybe that was totally biased. But to me it was awesome. My whole family watch in awe. YOu're right, that was a new chapter in history. Absolutely great!
Lapis Queen is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 11:23 AM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

itokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know who the drums were?
Old 02-14-2002, 05:13 PM   #25
I.T.I.

Items Present
7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute
7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,376.54
Savings: 1.00
Exclamation ah-ight.

They were okay. I know most of the people involved. I watched it on tee-vee. we were having drum practice and stopped for a bit to watch. Then it got kinda corny. (Sorry y'all). Did you know why they had so much attention on natives? There was a lot of publicity, bad or good who knows, on the whole thing being MORMON. Mormon state, government, culture. It was a strategy by the powers that be to take the focus of Mormonism having a big influence on the winter olympics. By most posts, i take it that it worked. :Mad
7pointbull is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2002, 09:42 AM   #26
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Hey I got this from Indianz.com - from one of the dancers perspectives!

Tulalip dancer rings in Olympics

By Kate Reardon
Herald Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- For Joe Losik, it was even better than having his picture taken with Sting.

Swirling, flipping and wrapping 21 hoops around his body to create images of an eagle, flower and snake in front of millions of spectators was one of life's biggest thrills, Losik said.

The Tulalip Tribes member was one of five hoop dancers who performed recently at the Winter Olympics opening ceremony.

Having his picture taken with rock music singer Sting on the same night probably comes in as a close second, he said.

In all, there were about 1,000 Native Americans who performed in the 20-degree weather during the opening ceremonies in Salt Lake City last week. Hoop dancers took the main stage while other dancers filled the arena.

As musicians starting beating their drums, the energy of the participants was intense, Losik said.

"You could hear all the people yelling, and you could tell they were totally intrigued," he said. "There was a flood of Native Americans from everywhere."

The hoop dancers performed near the athletes, and Losik, who was almost brought to tears by the event, said he could hear them yelling, screaming and whistling.

"That's the biggest thing I've ever been a part of," he said. "It was so awesome to know the whole world was watching and learning more about our culture. I can't even tell you how much I loved it."

Following the event, Losik met the star entertainers of the show, including the Dixie Chicks and Sting.

Earlier last week, Losik performed for the German athletes.

Losik, 27, has been dancing with hoops since he was about 6 years old after watching his uncle, Terry Goedel, a Yakama Indian, perform. Goedel and Losik danced side by side at the opening ceremonies.

For Losik, who grew up in Snohomish County, being in the opening ceremonies happened by accident. Now living in Utah and working toward a master's degree, Losik was with some friends trying out for the show when he was asked to perform with his hoops. Next he knew, he was scheduled to perform.

Losik, who taught math at Marysville Middle School in 2001, is now teaching at Layton High School in Utah.

Losik's mother, Cherie Ross of Marsyville, said it's magical every time she watches her son perform.

"It's exciting that he's able to maintain his cultural heritage in today's world," she said.

Even though Losik has performed throughout the world, nothing could compare to the Olympics, he said.

"Now, it almost feels like I'm never even going to dance again because there's never going to be anything just so high," he said.
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links