Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Owl Feathers Owl Feathers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2000, 08:20 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pgowder is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Post Owl Feathers

At the last few Pow Wows I've been to, I've seen several people dancing with Owl feathers. I know that each tribe has different feelings about the Owl, but what about people dancing with Owl feathers?
pgowder is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 09:30 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Lee Winterhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Relatives - Cherokee and Huron - have told me it's a bad idea.

Pawnee friends won't go near any part of the owl.

An Ojibwa relative told me that he wouldn't carry owl feathers into the circle although he personally doesn't have any problem with them.

Just information from someone who's running hard to catch up on her learning.

With respect,
Lee
Lee Winterhunter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 09:51 AM   #3
Guakia Taino Yahabo

Tvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 323.00
Growing up in mu grandparents house there was always an owl feather hanging over the door. It was for keeping the bad medicine people away(witches in euro speak)
My granpda has gone home but I have an owl feather hanging over my door too, unless I have some Dineh freinds coming over, Owl feather induced attacks with a plastic fry bread bowls by Dineh women in your house is not an experience I want to repeat againLOL
Tvskekee is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 11:51 AM   #4
Just Hangin' Round

DCP is a jewel in the rough
There is mixed feelings about the owl in my area, then again, my area is very tribally mixed. Some folks wear them, but not everyone likes it.

The white owl is looked at by some as a messenger. I have seen many pictures of Lakota dancers wearing great horned owl feathers in their nest bustles, however. Every now and then owl feathers are seen on dancers in SD, but I haven't seen any white owl feathers.
DCP is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 01:34 PM   #5
Guakia Taino Yahabo

Tvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond reputeTvskekee has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 323.00
Thanksf or the info straightdancerinaz, I took what she told me as truth. She said her family does sings etc(basically that they are medicine people) her last name is Begay(go figureLOL) from Farmington.
Im dont know about your beliefs over there so I just asked. My little 1/2 brother (Northern Cheyene/Creek)danced with a wolf skin one time at Gathering and a little Dineh boy aske dim if he was skinwalker after he had been getting dity looks from people. He though it was cause he hadnt put deoderant on http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gif
Anyways, we see the owl as a messenger also but not as anything bad. The feather over teh doorway is so it watches over everyone who enters the house from whoever might be a Por'rv.
So to us its portector, ever watchful and nothing to be feared. When I think about it Ive never heard of fearing any animals in any of our stories. They all have something to teach us and are not to be feared.
Anyways, thanks for the enlightmen straightdncr, there is so much disinformation out there that when people take it as truth and pass it on to later generations then it becomes set in stone and far removed from the actuality of its origins.
Tvskekee is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 04:26 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Robert Laughing Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by straightdancerinaz:

Oh they are real, just not men and women that wear animal skins. They are people, subject to the whims of the Almighty, and subject to the Creators punishments when they leave this earth.

No one gets out of this life without paying for their wrong doings.

Good statement...very well put

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
http://community.wolfstar.com/sc-aim
Robert Laughing Owl is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2000, 05:07 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

poohskunk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Straightdancerinaz also. I was taught that the owl is the messenger. The owl sits at the right shoulder to warn of any dangers coming. It did not mean death was coming, just acting as a protector in forwarning. I personaly have owl feathers in my home (tail feathers) I also have friends that were taught owl feathers were bad. I just explained to them not to me and they are in my home for my benefit. Fear is instilled in oneself, by oneself and others and you should not fear what you do not know. I do not dance with owl feathers, because so many fear them, but they are always with me. In fact I keep one in my desk at the office (Pst no one knows why, but I have never had anything taken from this desk either)
poohskunk2 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2000, 12:07 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Robert Laughing Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Not knowing alot about most souther tribal beliefs i have noticed that it is less tolerated down here than it is up north. I personally dance with owl feathers but very few just for the simple fact that I dont like to run off my friends that are lumbee and tsalagi ect...
They understand why I have them and I respect them by not overdoing it around them. I have been to some pow wos where there have been several people in full owl bustle sets and everything and it seems not to bother anyone...but those were up north. The only real reasons I have gooten have been from a few dear friends Emorson Begay told me that Navajo people believe thay are signs of witches, and Eddy Bushyhead told me that Tsalagi people believe that they are messengers and by messing with them even after death you may interupt a message so to speak. Both of them understood my reasons for using them and again I respected them not to overdo it around them. I know there are some Kiowa people here I think what are there reasons in short...they are scared to death of them I know.

------------------
Robert Laughing Owl
SC-AIM
http://community.wolfstar.com/sc-aim
Robert Laughing Owl is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2000, 03:31 AM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
there is a book out there about the cheroke that raises a good point. in it, it states that the owl and the wolve were the only two animals the stayed up for all of creation and that they rememer everything that happens.

keith
tigger is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2000, 03:42 AM   #10
kahkakew

My late GG grand father was named 'Wap Ohoo", White owl. He belonged to the society with the same name. So I witnessed many headdresses of this type in ceremony. The owl is known as the night eagle to many of our people.
To some they signify danger, but to myself they are a messenger who warns one of impending risk or danger, ie: bad medicine.

This is very much appreciated and the teaching behind the warning is invaluable.
They are often the bringer of bad and good news. They have taught myself to seek out the positives in all situations.

May coastal tribe shere are scared of the owl and will have nothing to do with them.
Owl is the one who has the abiltiy to spaek to the night people.

ITs powers equal the eagle in the other time of the day. I have seen many small boys with owl bustles and a few fans, but generally the owl is rarely seen in pow-wows here. THe most one sees of the owl in pow-wow is the owl dance or snagginda cnes as they are often referred to? *LOL*

Kahkakew

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2000, 09:15 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Lee Winterhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks everybody for their stories!

I did some research on European tribal attitudes toward the owl.

Results: Very interesting and quite varied attitudes, with several nations considering them helpful in childbirth.

With respect,
Lee
Lee Winterhunter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2000, 09:53 AM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
Another piece of information that I've gathered over the years (from reliable sources - discussions with elders, museum archives, etc.) is that during the smallpox, measles and chicken pox epidemics that hit the plains tribes, often owls sculpted out of mud were placed in trees outside of the camps to warn anyone who planned on entering the camp that sickness and death were there.
BeadedPony is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2000, 12:09 AM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

lngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

I don't want to throw anyone off the topic because I have been learning a lot but I just wanted to say that this discussion so far should serve as an example of how further discussions should go. Everyone here is being very respectful, has not copped a "know-it-all" lecture tone and are using qualifying statements (the way I learned, in my family, in my area, the research I've done, etc.). I just wanted to say that the conversation has been so much more enjoyable to read and learn from because of this. Thank you all!!
lngfthr is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2000, 02:46 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

feathr3166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ahhh! Just my subject!! I am Shawnee... this is one bird I can relate to!! Owls are precious creatures, as are all of the creatures we share this earth with. Owls are destroyers of deception ( sharing my teaching with you here) They are there to tell you when something is wrong... Only Creator can decide when it is time for us to leave here... not an owl. I understand some people do not honor the owl and that is a choice they make. I personally feel the wolf is a beautiful brother but I would not go out of my way to jump someone over being " offended" by it as long as it was taken in a good way. Creator made all of our brothers and sisters... including the owl. And as stated before.. it is man's misconception that creates the "bad omens" on animals.
I too, have owl feathers over my doorways, to protect my home and my daughter. Here on the east coast... you can get put out of a dance circle for having one in your possession on the grounds!! sad, isn't it, that not all people can live their ways!
But then I laugh when people cry owl and it's actually a hawk wing someone has. I have seen grown women cover their faces and run off in terror over someone's foolishness.
Education is the key. And i knew an Ojibway man, he has gone on now, but he was raised with the old ways.. and he once told me that his people didn't used to fear the owl... but it was a new thing... and although I do not proclaim to know a great deal... Cherokees, old clan times, didn't care for the screech owl due to the sound it made... they didn't have a problem with the others.
And the Snow Owl... that's my baby. It's a matter of respect, somethine we Shawnees don't get over here. I have been run out of many dance rings for having one owl feather in my tent. try living here and being who you are. Owls are beautiful and just as vital to Creators overall plan as the eagle.
and one thing I must say for the owl... a hummingbird doesn't scare it away ( eagles flee from hummingbirds)
feathr3166 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2000, 05:33 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

paraivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond repute
Every thing everyone said here is interesting and conforms to stories I have heard. What I didn't hear said was the Some of the Southern Plains ideas about Owls, with the exception about someone's Pawnee friends staying away from them. My Comanche friends tell me that only socerers use owl feathers and owls house ghosts and are associated with death. I have seen some of the old timers leave a dance because someone has brought owl feathers there. Some of the old timers will keep crow feathers over their door to protect their houses and families because crows keep owls away. FYI
paraivo is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2000, 07:46 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
Hell,

The Kiowas believe the owl is bad luck or fortelling of death. The Kiowa word for owl is tSaw-pBole, sounds like saw,with a "T" at the beginning and pBole sounds like Yodle with a pB sound at the beginning if this makes any since. To call a person this name is an extreme insult. It is also used in jest like saying, that tSaw-pBole or that ***hole or something similar. Hey, and for those of you that want references call the Kiowa Tribal Office in Carnegie OK and ask them.

Hornet
BrownHornet is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2000, 01:29 AM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
Hey,

There was suppose to be an "O" at the end of my greeting. Really, there was!

Hornet
BrownHornet is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2000, 08:58 AM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
You are very right about the Southern Plains people's attitude toward owls and owl feathers. They are believed to be the harbingers of illness, tragedy, danger, and death. I, too, have seen dancers and singers leave the arena if owl feathers are present. Many Southern Plains people believe they are used in "witching" (as are a few other types of feathers). My Comanche Piah has smudged and said prayers for those of us who have been touched by them or are "bothered" by them -- inside the dance arena and out. Brown Hornet is, again, right on target when referring to the Kiowa's beliefs, as well.

There needs to be understanding between us that all things are not "good" for all people -- what is considered sacred and accepted with open hearts for some, have totally different connotations for others. Respect differences.
BeadedPony is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links