Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Shoulder wings.....how to make them? Shoulder wings.....how to make them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2000, 11:43 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Jim Phelps is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Shoulder wings.....how to make them?

Waxtuygi,

Since the server crashed, I lost my last posted question. Well, this is it. I'm trying to figure out how to fasten the feathers of shoulder wings in the middle? What are they attached to and how are they fastened to the traditional dance regalia?

If you can give an tips or hints, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim Phelps is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2000, 07:47 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

RandyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim,
Some of the best ones that I've seen are made like a small buslte would be. Were the feathers are tied at the base of the shaft, and then something is used between the feathers to space them. You will see alot of different things there like beads. I've also seen some with a base similar to a flat fan handle. Then to hold them on i've seen leather ties, and i've also seen saftey pins.
Just don't let them fall off. But you do want them to move when you dance. There are alot of ways to do these though.
RandyE is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2000, 07:51 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

RandyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim, If you are just getting started I would like to suggest that you check out Crazy Crow Trading Post ( check out their web site). They have a book written by Scott Evans. The book is Northern Traditional Dancer. This book is very good because of the photos and the how to do's. It could save alot of time and speed up you getting a nice set of dance clothes. Good luck
RandyE is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2000, 09:01 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

KI49er is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim,
RandyE has the right idea,Go get the book Northern Traditional Dancer.I bought it when I first started and it helped me alot.Pay close attention to the instructions that show you how to attach your spinner feathers,Dropping a feather is something you don't want to do.
POWWOW TIL YA DROP!!!!
KI49er is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2000, 09:34 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

CEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond reputeCEM has a reputation beyond repute
The Northern Traditional Dancer is a great book! I've got both editions and frequently use it as a reference or just to look at the nice pictures. The author is a nice guy who his happy to share what he has learned, especially with children. I was at a class one time that he was teaching on Northern Traditional Dancing, and probably against the advise of his publisher, he even encouraged people to photo copy the book and share it with others.

As great as this book is,it has no instructions on how to make shoulder wings or visors.

I'm guessing the reason for this is because the author does not wear any. I'm also guessing that when this book originally came out in 1989 or 1990, that they were not as frequently worn as they are today. This is all speculation on my part.

Please don't go and buy it thinking the instructions are in there. The best way to find out is to ask someone who is wearing them if they can show you theirs and ask them how they made them.
CEM is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links