Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives State Recognized Tribes State Recognized Tribes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ayita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Arrow State Recognized Tribes

I am sorry I deleted this thread. I am going to put it back up for everyone.

What is your opinion on state recognized tribes?? If your a member of one or currently within the enrolling process tell us your opinion etc.!!!!!

My opinion is State recognized tribes are just as good as federally recognized and non recognized. I know some tribes don't want to be recognized. I know some people who are not enrolled in a tribe but do have ndn blood in them. My friend Ashley is half choctaw she isn't enrolled. Some people just didn't choose to sign the census.

What are ya'lls opinion??

~Ayita~
Old 09-20-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

LWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 440.05
Angry Ain't scared(state recognized tribes)

Dear Cherosage

There is no State recognized Cherokee tribe in Arkansas , a proclamation is not state recognition & that's all any tribe has in Arkansas . I have been to the governor's office with a deiegation of Northern Cherokee to talk about this subject & we were told by his law officer & later by himself that untill we could come together as one tribe (yah right - there are as many as 4 different
"Cherokee tribe's" in Arkansas ,maybe more) that we would NEVER get state recognition!!!! no legislater would back one tribe
over the others (votes are votes folks).

this post will not be deleted , so go ahead

Last edited by LWB; 09-20-2002 at 08:31 PM..
LWB is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2002, 08:31 PM   #3
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Several years ago, I joined a non-recognized Tribal Nation, and then got embarrassed by it, after all doesn't that make me the ultimate wannabe? BUT when I went to Cherokee later that same year, I mentioned that yes I was in a Cherokee Tribe, but that they weren't and arn't going to be recognized, the elder I was talking with asked me it's name, and I told him, he said he had heard nothing but good about them, that not everyone enrolled when they could have when the enrollment first got started, and that the only good his "Card" did him, was free hunting and fishing. He was proud for me that I was a part of a Nation that was doing good by it's heritage, and not fighting, or worrying about money issues! I quit worrying about being made fun of, because I don't have, and don't care about a "Card".

Acceptance is better than recognition any day! There is a difference, I have nothing to loose!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ayita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond repute
Who said I was ashamed?? I am not scared by anybodys comment. I don't know why I deleted it. I shouldn't have. I had deleted the other one that I had posted it and no one had responded on it and I guess I was on a role. Ya'll are right. The public does have a right to see other peoples opinions.

I'm sorry.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Question I wasn't scared

Who ever said I was scared of other people's opinion????

Why won't any legislators back any of the tribes?? And what is the main issue why the tribe won't come together???
~ayita~
Old 09-20-2002, 09:18 PM   #6
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Ayita16,

LWB wasn't addressing what he said to you! He was upset, by something Cherosage said #1, and #2, that he thought the thread was taken off for different reasons! It's ok calm down!

The reason why the Arkansas Cherokee arn't, can't, and won't be recognized, is like he said they have to band together and work as a team, there are at least 5 different tribes of them, in different areas! Most of them settled in those areas, BEFORE the Trail of Tears, and wanted nothinf to do with that garbage! Now they cannot, and will not work together, each thinking they are right, and everyone else is wrong! It has been this way from the time they moved there in the 17 and 1800's!! I am desended, from several of these people, and even today some of the family is the same! They can't agree on anything! Nor do they want to!

There are several books written about the Arkansas Cherokee, but I can only think of the one I own at this time, and it is about the Five Civilised Tribes. There are others, I know I've read them, and read about my own ancestors! Most of the History about Cherokee books talk about them, as well as the group that went to Mexico, and another that settled in South Texas, many years before the Trail of Tears, and if I'm not mistaken the Mexico trip was even before white man came. Cherokee's just got too big for their territory, and branched off!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2002, 09:27 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
ok, I still don't understand why this thread was deleted in the first place. Ayita, what do you mean no one was responding? Several people had... did I miss something, was someone getting nasty? Guess we'll never know since those posts are gone now...
Old 09-20-2002, 11:55 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sorry Ayita

Tsiniti was right I am not mad at you ,& am sorry if I caused you any heart ache, that was not my intention I only wanted to clear up some misinformation that was left on this post , I think we have enough trouble with people who come on here & either misinform , make up things or down right lie .if people come on & ask an honest question they should get an honest answer.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:59 AM   #9
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,024.83
Savings: 1.00
LWB:
The information I printed was given to me by some Northern Cherokees of Mo and Ark. Being of Mo and being of Cherokee linage I guess our family is a mark. I was told that then Gov. Clinton signed a bill authorizing The recognition of the these Cherokees. I don't live too far from where their office is, now. I don't hear too much about these people anymore. They seem to be quiet.

I still think that state recognized tribes should be recognized as Indian the same as federally recognized Indians. I knew an Elder that has passed that was Modoc of OK. The Modocs were no longer federally recog., does this make this Full Blood no longer Indian. The Ottawa Tribe of OK lost their Federal recog. a long time ago and regained it in the 50's (I believe). Were they not Indian during that time period? I know many that would argue.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

A. Nony Mouse is an unknown quantity at this point
I notice deltadawn's post was not put back in this thread and she asked some good questions that didn't get answered. Such as if you are not interested in the land or tribal money or handouts or any of that and you feel that it is not all that important to be fed or state recognized, then why you trying so hard to get enrolled?
A. Nony Mouse is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 08:57 AM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

walmart ndn is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 218.75
I to have noticed my post was not put back up. Wonder why? :dontknow:
walmart ndn is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 09:26 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

Nennakene is an unknown quantity at this point
State or Fed Recognition

Forget the state and the feds
Part of the problem in Indian Country today, is our inability to come together and make effective decisions without fighting and bickering. And why is that? Because we have forgotten how NDN peoples traditionally made those decisions. Today we form committees, we abide by Robert's Rules of Order, and we take on and use value systems that belong to "them". Then we wait and wait for some check to come in the mail.
This is unnatural for us, and some of us have watched our own people turn against one another in the middle of a committee or tribal meeting, offended people drop off of those committees and then a new committee has to be created just to make the decision that should have been made a year ago. Families turn against one another, the hurt runs deep and outsiders play to those weaknesses.
If the truth be known, we as NDN people, are the key to recognizing ourselves for who we are and what our capabilities are. Sitting around waiting for the dominant gov't to recognize us and then issue a check, is just another welfare system designed to keep us numbered and humble. When we speak of Sovereign Nations, ........we should speak seriously.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:49 AM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

Walmart ndn

Walmart
mine was not reposted either I had to write it all over again
Old 09-23-2002, 11:16 AM   #14
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone lived in Ga back in the early 90's then you would know how the GA natives got their state recognition.

there was some bill already passed, read me correctly already passed,
then this bill for three tribes to be state recognize and of course the chief of the daholnega tribe was in on the bill,

gracefully tacked on the bill for recognition to the bill that already passed.

so this is how state recognition is done down in GA.

Not saying those a part of the three tribes aren't native just saying a very underhanded way to get recognition!:(

like i asked before - if you do not care about the gov't saying who is and who isn't native then why the fuss over being enrolled somewhere?
Okwataga is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 01:01 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why all the REAL CHEROKEES posts, plus others, got deleted. Man I am a moderator and when you delete something you do it on purpose. It ain't no accident. We all said something that whoever didn't want to hear which was the truth, however pissy it was.

I'll say it again. THere are only three Cherokee Tribes, thats all and no more. There is no, "Its in my heart and you can't tell me I'm not Indian." Heck look in the mirror! Stand beside me, FAncystar, Walmart NDN, Zeph, DeltaDawn, then you tell me who is CHerokee. Stand beside Sanish...see who's a skin or not.

I know I sound all hateful but you put yourself in our shoes where we hear this crap day after day. Cut it out, give us skins a break. Enough is enough. It's old and its tired. Man I hate to say this but if you are you are if you ain't you aint. Keep it to yourself cause everytime you bring this up on the board skins will attack and you won't like what we have to say because you STILL DON'T RESPECT A DAMN THING WE SAY OR DO. yOU WANNA TAKE IT ALL....LIKE YOUR ANCESTORS. When you gonna stop?

Somewhere down the line there is Irish in my family but I aint gonna run around looking for Irish chats and boards and tell them that I have a little Irish in me and if they don't like it I don't care cause its in my heart. I don't claim it and never will.....never would want to. So whats up that? JUST STOP!!! PLEASE!
Tooter is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 01:43 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
"Stand beside me, FAncystar, Walmart NDN, Zeph, DeltaDawn, then you tell me who is CHerokee."

er, huh? I never claimed to be cherokee, and never even posted in the original thread, so what am I doing in that list?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:27 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
zeph
tooter was on a roll, she was jsut trying to get her point across, sorry to have included you in the list of cherokees
Okwataga is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 05:03 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Well not to get in to the whole who is a ndn and who isn't. What about the ones who do have ndn blood and didn't want to sign the census back in the late 1890's and early 1900's so that they could stay on their land and protect there family? Just wandering.

I agree with there are only 3 federally recognized bands.
Keetowah
WBCI
EBCI

I personally don't see how there are the cherokees in cali and washington state. But I do see and how there are state recognized tribes in GA,Alabama,tenessee,and NC. B/c a lot of people in these states did not sign the census and could some how pass themselves off as white. So that they could stay on their land and protect there family?? Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the ndns who went on the forced removals and always claimed themselves as ndn weren't protecting there familys. I am just saying that some decided in that situation to not sign the census etc.

~ayita~
Old 09-23-2002, 10:11 PM   #19
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 430.00
I gotta stand by my sis,Tooter, on this one!! If you're indian then you are,If you're not then you end up looking like a huge goober to people who are indian!!I get so tired of people who always stand up,shake their fist and talk about how their grandmother's cherokee and how they are goober band cherokee from georgia or alabama!!!!!
Shush!!!!
Tooter has a point too!! I know lots of skins that have some kind of european blood in them but you see them going up to some white guy or chick saying, yeah My great great grandmother was a scottish princess!! She's a member of the Southern Scotts from Florida!

I think too, alot of these states recognized tribes are wanting a free ride also. They think that if they get state recognition then they think they can get gov't health care(LOL) and a casino!!
Now before you all get you native panties in a wad, not all state tribes want this but alot of these newer ones, the reason for their wanting recognition is greed!!
Well get over it!!
Being a member of a state tribe is like being a member of a club. Pay your member fees, wear your club T-Shirt around, and you too can join for whatever reason! You can go to club meetings. talk about what you should do and how to do it and how righteous your club is and go home feeling good about yourself!!
WooHoo!!!
FancyStar is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002, 11:32 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

susieq is an unknown quantity at this point
FancyStar,
I can agree with you to the point where you said..

Being a member of a state tribe is like being a member of a club. Pay your member fees, wear your club T-Shirt around, and you too can join for whatever reason! You can go to club meetings. talk about what you should do and how to do it and how righteous your club is and go home feeling good about yourself!!

I have lots of friends that are state recognized, and they are not in it for the money. These people have struggled just as much as your forefathers have. Their tribes have been state recognized for 60+ years. So how can you compare apples to oranges, when half this wannabes have been trying to get recognized in the past 10 years? You know what I mean. Where were they 60 years ago...in the mines, mining their crystal they worship?
susieq is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links