Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Dancing Costume Referred Costume Referred

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 03:34 PM   #21
Dancin n Vendin

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down Tanting

to Ehosah,

The person you descibed in your post sounds as if his heart has been "Indian" long before he discovered his blood was! I'm so glad you are an enrolled and recognized Native.
Yess I'm a Wannabe and proud of it!!!!!! I have considered and known I was Cherokee since I was little, I have always considered my self Native, much to the Charinge of my parents, who now that I finally found the proof I've searched for for years say good now we can get some money! Well I seem to have accidently lost that proof ...... I'm not Native for the money! I can't afford $2000 for regalia! Why do I "dress up"? For the fun of it!! For the commraderie of it! Because it seems to be the only time I am accepted by my peers to be who I have always been!
I do not have blue eyes and pale skin, I know I am not white! My mother informed my she gave birth to white children, I told her I have NEVER been white, so I guess I'm not her daughter ... she has since changed her mind and heart, and learned to accept me for myself.
I only hope you learn to accept people on the judgment of their heart, and not the pocket, or the "CARD"
Cards do not make the person so much as your words and actions, you do not sound like a person who I wish to learn from, or wish to teach my daughter anything! I have been invited for many years to talk at Girl Scoup groups to discuss what I know about Native Americans, the different styles and tribes, I do not have a "College Degree" nor do I pass myself off as anything except a Girl Scout Leader who happens to be knowledgable in some things and can help where I can!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2002, 06:05 PM   #22
Gourd Dancer

MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
Growing up in Maryland and not being told about our plains Indian heritage, my father and brother both earned Eagle scout awards. My sister and I were girlscouts. My father a scout master, but we didn't know of our native heritage until we were told....I was 20. We spent more time outside than anywhere and felt something just wasn't quite right about the way we were raised.
Well, to make a very LONG story short, I'm working to mend the chains that were broken and hopefully, my child will take what we learn to heart and pass it down.

Strange thing...the Kiowa/Cheyenne family that took us in down in Anadarko didn't have a problem with anything we asked them and was very happy to share.

(but they've never been to this board)
Old 08-13-2002, 01:38 AM   #23
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Let's not stray too far off Topic please!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2002, 03:40 AM   #24
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
I simply call it "outfit" or "dance outfit"......
:D :Chatter :Chatter :D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #25
JIBBY'S MOM

ahneenah has a spectacular aura about
WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND WAS DANCING AND PEOPLE USE TO REMARK ON MY OUTFIT A S A COSTUME,I USE TO LOOK AT THEIR EXPESSION AND TONE OF THE VOICE.iF IT WAS A VOICE OF CURIOSITY,I WOULD SMILE AND TELL THEM THANK YOU OR ANSWER POLITELY AND ALWAYS WITH A SMILE ANSWER TO THEIR QUESTIONS.
BUT IF THEY REMARKED IN A SARCASTIC WAY I SIMPLY TOLD THEM THAT I REGARD MY COSTUME AS AN OUTFIT"AFTER ALL COSTUMES ARE FOR HALOWEEN"......
NOW I HEAR A NEW WORD "REGALIA"IM NOT TOO SURE HOW TO RESPOND TO THAT BUT I WILL STICK TO OUTFIT FOR NOW.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #26
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
when i'm all decked in my indian clothes people come up and touch me and my clothes and say oh u have a beautiful costume. At first I was offended but now I don't really care cuz i agree w/has been said before. the spectators and outsiders don't understand or know what to call it.

I'll politely say oh my Indian clothes? thanks. :) and cheese cuz they are trying to take a pic next.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:57 PM   #27
Tiny Tot Dancer

Jacques is a jewel in the rough
My 2 cents:Costume is a french word which means 90% of the time"ceremonial attire".People wear wedding costumes,dance costume[dance as in ball]church costume[when going to church]
When you say costume in french,you mean Tux.So there is nothing demeaning or insulting about the word.......Unless of course you choose to go powwow and grass dance wearing a tuxedo

:D

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!
Jacques is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links