Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's complete novice, looking for help complete novice, looking for help

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
No Day But Today

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
fightingoneself has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
complete novice, looking for help

I was kinda nervous about posting here. I've posted as a novice to other things before on other sites, and got compleatly trashed, so please believe I post here with most sincere curiosity.

I recently found out about my native american heratige and have been to only one or two pow wows in my life, as a spectator (when I was pretty young). I want to learn as much as I can of this part of my heratige. I want to be able to go to a Pow Wow and fully understand what's going on. I want to learn everything about the culture from a personal point of view. I know I can look online, but getting it from a personal perspective is totally different.

I apologize if that seemed compleatly and utterly corny. I just have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for on this site.

1. What is the judgeing criteria at Pow Wows?
2. Does everyone make thier dance clothing for the Pow Wows?
3. How do you know the dances? choreographed steps? improvisation?

I'm sure there are other questions, but my mind is drawing a blank. I'll post them later. I would greatly appriciate any help. Again, please have mercy on a curiouse novice.
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
fightingoneself is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Talking

Dude, I will help you but you have to send money first. Send me a cheque for $1,000.00. LOL
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
No Day But Today

ha ha

yeah, ha ha. is that how you get your kicks? picking on the new person?
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
Old 07-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Hola!

kgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
kgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,660.82
Badmaninc was just teasing ya, and i'll be honest i was tempted to give ya a little ribbing, but not with mal-intent.

I see you've joined this month, you might want to take some time and read through the threads on this site, and the archives. A lot of what you ask can be found there, and check out the humor section too. Reading through the threads should also clear things up a bit about why people react the way they do.
kgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 132,920.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingoneself
yeah, ha ha. is that how you get your kicks? picking on the new person?
Hi F1S! You're new around here, eh? Welcome. If you read some of the other threads in chit chat forum, you'll learn that many of us have a goot sense of humor. You'll find that badmaninc is one of the coolest guys around here (you owe me five bucks, bad). You will learn that we come from all walks of life and the commonality is our heritage and culture. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

You can fight wit yourself but don't fight with the people on here. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Joe's Dad

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 132,920.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
Dude, I will help you but you have to send money first. Send me a cheque for $1,000.00. LOL
I thought you were supposed to ask for tobacco?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad
I thought you were supposed to ask for tobacco?

remember I am having a couple of specials. I need the money. LOL. I wasn't teasing that new person. I thought it would be a good lesson on sharing among our people. If that dude gives me the thou, I will be sure to send you the tobacco along with 5 bucks.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

ChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond reputeChrissyRedhorn has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the group

Where in NJ are you located?? Im in Camden County
Old 07-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #9
No Day But Today

Talking thanks

First, I'm from Burlington County
second, I normally have a (shall I admit) so so sense of humor. working on that though. As I mentioned, I've tryed to get in on other sites for other things and was compleatly shut out and burned. I was not sure how to approch this situation, and I guess I still take things a little to personal. lightening up is a constent work in progress, but I think it will be much better now I know everyone is great here.
third, I will definantly check out everything I can on this site.

I have one more question though. I was looking though the list of schedualed Pow Wows in Jersey for the rest of this year. How come Jersey has almost none?! or am I not lookin in the right place? There is a reservation near my house that has a semi-annual arts festival each year, but I'm trying to find more to go to before and after that. Anyone know where I can find pow wow info for the close-to-Philly region? I'm gonna look around, but some tips would be cool. THANKS A BUNCH!!
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
Old 07-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #10
PowWows.com Addicts

Talking

Does that mean you're not sending me the money. Dude, I hope you realize I was just playin. Unless you took me serious and have a cheque made out already. I have no shame and I would accept it.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
No Day But Today

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
Does that mean you're not sending me the money. Dude, I hope you realize I was just playin. Unless you took me serious and have a cheque made out already. I have no shame and I would accept it.
No, I knew you were playin. I just took it as attitude. took it a little to personal. won't happen again. and trust me, I wouldn't have enough money to even pay you half of that. your talking to a broke college student. Anyways, no problems.
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

MSWolf49 has a spectacular aura about
Red face regarding the POW WOW question

I either find someone to make my regalia except the (what I call the fancies) I know it not a Native expression. I make my own beaded stuff and jewelry to a point. I have done some walking sticks and staffs.( not people on that one HA HA).I do some small leather stuff and bead it. I would love to learn how to do the quill work and wrap feathers better than I do.
I have an idea on how to but I just need to find the supplies to do it.for hair pieces.
I make small dreamcatchers for jewelry type pieces. I have done some things from kits. I finshed my first shawl Inow need to find someone to do the big embroidery by machine or hand of a wolf head and I still would like to add a couple of patches to it.
I just recently made my cousin a leather bag for her sage and I beaded the top of it. It was cool. I have only beaded large things a couple of times. I enjoyed it.
Look at Pow wows don't just buy the first thing you see sometimes you can find regalia on sale there and look on ebay too. sometimes you can find regalia there.
Look around and be picky to find what you want.
Welcome.
Excuse any typos I have had about three hour sleep today. Worked my last last night shiftlast night.
MSWolf49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
To'di'cheeni / Taa'ba'haa

vince_j has a spectacular aura about
The short and sweet answers!

Judges are picked by the Head Judge or Arena Director. They try to select competent members at the PW (maybe a celebrity one here and there). The judge should be familiar with the category or be a dancer as well. They mostly judge from experience. Men usually judge males and Women usually judge females.

Some PWs have points categories on the score sheets -
Outfit Categories: like Hand-Made, Originality, Completeness, Cleanliness;

Dancing: Does the dancer stay with the beat of the drum and stop on time.

Then finally it comes down to personal taste or choice.

Not all the time, however, most regalia is made by the dancer, but family members can help or you can hire a seamstress. If you want to compete and win, you'll need to invest alot of money, time, and energy.

Dance steps come from tribal styles. For instance, if your Pawnee, you dance a certain way. If your Lakota, then you dance a very different way. So in a way, it's choregraphed improvisation. You find what you're physically capable of and make the style your own using tribal styles as a background.

If you've learned other things from reading posts on this site, please add them to this thread so others can read them.
"We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~
vince_j is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Little Wildcat

Usdigvhi has a reputation beyond repute
Usdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 303.13
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingoneself
I was kinda nervous about posting here. I've posted as a novice to other things before on other sites, and got compleatly trashed, so please believe I post here with most sincere curiosity.

I recently found out about my native american heratige and have been to only one or two pow wows in my life, as a spectator (when I was pretty young). I want to learn as much as I can of this part of my heratige. I want to be able to go to a Pow Wow and fully understand what's going on. I want to learn everything about the culture from a personal point of view. I know I can look online, but getting it from a personal perspective is totally different.

I apologize if that seemed compleatly and utterly corny. I just have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for on this site.

I'm sure there are other questions, but my mind is drawing a blank. I'll post them later. I would greatly appriciate any help. Again, please have mercy on a curiouse novice.

my best advice (and this is coming from someone who has pretty much always lived in the city, doesnt really have any interaction with a tribe cuz even though im around 1/4th native thats a compliation of at least 7 different tribes, as well as new to the powwow circuit just basically learned things from parents, grandparents, and "instinct" i suppose) would be to start goin with the flow and not expect a textbook for "how to be native american" lol its something that you just learn. just go to powwows, talk to people, ask questions. some ppl will be a jerk to you and others will be really nice. so dont give up just cuz you go to one powwow with a bunch of pricks and they turn ya away. theres so called "bad" people in every race whether we admit it or not lol so just be patient. and yeah there is a lot of info on this site so be sure to check that out! best of luck to ya!
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

-Tecumseh
Usdigvhi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

Talking

Then after you learn some stuff you could write a book that says something like Learning to ndn for dummies. Actually you would prolly make a lot of money and then not share it so scrap that idea. I'm gonna write it.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 AM   #16
No Day But Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usdigvhi
my best advice (and this is coming from someone who has pretty much always lived in the city, doesnt really have any interaction with a tribe cuz even though im around 1/4th native thats a compliation of at least 7 different tribes, as well as new to the powwow circuit just basically learned things from parents, grandparents, and "instinct" i suppose) would be to start goin with the flow and not expect a textbook for "how to be native american" lol its something that you just learn. just go to powwows, talk to people, ask questions. some ppl will be a jerk to you and others will be really nice. so dont give up just cuz you go to one powwow with a bunch of pricks and they turn ya away. theres so called "bad" people in every race whether we admit it or not lol so just be patient. and yeah there is a lot of info on this site so be sure to check that out! best of luck to ya!
That's all soooooooooo true. Yeah, I'm still checking everything out. I'm not expecting a "textbook for how to be native american". There were just a few things I was confused about. I'm still looking for powwows in my area, but none come up until september, and even then not sure if I can get to them because of no car. I'm also going back to school (college) and will be busy beyond belief, so the powwows might have to wait a little while longer. There is a reservation near my house and they have an arts festival this fall, so I'm going to try and come home for that. Until then, it;s back to the research and looking online for info and stuff like what's on this site.

and Badmaniac.... as a struggling college student, I could use the money from writting a book like that....
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
Old 08-07-2005, 02:14 AM   #17
No Day But Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince_j

Judges are picked by the Head Judge or Arena Director. They try to select competent members at the PW (maybe a celebrity one here and there). The judge should be familiar with the category or be a dancer as well. They mostly judge from experience. Men usually judge males and Women usually judge females.

Some PWs have points categories on the score sheets -
Outfit Categories: like Hand-Made, Originality, Completeness, Cleanliness;

Dancing: Does the dancer stay with the beat of the drum and stop on time.

Then finally it comes down to personal taste or choice.

Not all the time, however, most regalia is made by the dancer, but family members can help or you can hire a seamstress. If you want to compete and win, you'll need to invest alot of money, time, and energy.

Dance steps come from tribal styles. For instance, if your Pawnee, you dance a certain way. If your Lakota, then you dance a very different way. So in a way, it's choregraphed improvisation. You find what you're physically capable of and make the style your own using tribal styles as a background.

If you've learned other things from reading posts on this site, please add them to this thread so others can read them.
I'm workin on it.
"ACT UP FIGHT AIDS!"
Sponsored Links