Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Crowns???  Who really has the right to wear them all the time? Crowns??? Who really has the right to wear them all the time?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BearGS is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Crowns??? Who really has the right to wear them all the time?

I have heard so many different things in our travels around the country.
Southern style buckskin and cloth, this is what I was told and I am not stating this is what I know for fact.

#1 They are from the cheif clan and they can wear the crowns...
#2 They were princess and they can continue to wear them if they choose too.

Those are the two things I was told, is there any truth to that? someone help me out.

Nothern style buckskin, I dont know why I see so many girls and teens wearing crowns but they do? Are they mimicing the southern style dancers?
Both my girl are princesses here in Wisconsin, but when their term is up, they have to give up that title and any right to wear their crown.

So I guess what I want help with is why women wear their crowns and for what purpose. I guess if this is just fashion then I dont agree with it because I am inclined to follow tradition and I dont think its okay... but since there were traditionally no princess in Native American culture, is there really any rules that should be followed? Well anyway, I feel that regardless of anything my daughters will not be allowed to wear their crowns unless they retain their titles.

Last edited by BearGS; 12-27-2004 at 05:30 PM..
BearGS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
its so crazy. I've seen so many women who wear crowns. Back in the day I remember when I only seen crowns on a few women. Now a day, I think it more for the look and style than the cause.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
not sure bout this either - i'm equally confused - i've been told that you shouldn't wear a crown unless you have that "right" (being a princess, etc.). but i've seen grown women who just started dancing in their later years wearing crowns. beginning to think it's becoming the "new style"
Old 12-24-2004, 05:20 AM   #4
~*Jingle Dress*~

Sinte_Gleska_04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Crowns

I dont know much about the Crowns in the Southern Style, but I know if you are a princess in the Northern Style than you have to give up your crown after a year. I do see come women still wearing their princess crowns after a year. I don't see why because there is a new princess wearing the same crown but just made differently. I was only a princess for two years. When my time was up I retired my titles. I didnt become a princess just to wear the crowns and look pretty. I wore the crowns to represent my tribe and college.
Sinte_Gleska_04 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

little sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinte_Gleska_04
I dont know much about the Crowns in the Southern Style, but I know if you are a princess in the Northern Style than you have to give up your crown after a year. I do see come women still wearing their princess crowns after a year. I don't see why because there is a new princess wearing the same crown but just made differently. I was only a princess for two years. When my time was up I retired my titles. I didnt become a princess just to wear the crowns and look pretty. I wore the crowns to represent my tribe and college.
Beaded or silver? With tribal emblem/ other organization emblem or without? Personally, I hate seeing girls/women over 30 wearing ANY crown. This is only my opinion.( I know I'll get some ugly replies) Until the past 15 years or so I don't recall many Northern women wearing crowns unless they were a chosen princess of some kind. In early days,(in some tribes) the southern women wore otter hats or special feathers or plumes that showed rank. Many of these were daughters of chiefs or of some clan. All in all, crowns of any kind should represent honor. And..I have to agree, that today crowns are worn mostly for looks. Times have changed alot.
little sister is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

BearGS is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess the biggest problem I have with this being fashion is that my 12 year old wants to keep wearing her crown, I have to push my feelings onto her and say that she cant.... it makes me feel bad but what can I do?...... I follow tradition and thats what I was taught....
BearGS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

little sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond reputelittle sister has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGS
I guess the biggest problem I have with this being fashion is that my 12 year old wants to keep wearing her crown, I have to push my feelings onto her and say that she cant.... it makes me feel bad but what can I do?...... I follow tradition and thats what I was taught....
Follow your traditions....following your ways makes you strong. In time your little girl will understand. Very few follow what they were taught by their elders and listen to the "Johnny come latelys". Our traditions were handed down for a reason.....you sound like a mom that not only wants to keep her daughter happy and be traditional. It's hard to do but do what you feel best for you. In a few years, this fad will pass too just like it did before.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
JIMMY HENDRIX ROYALTY

NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
my daughter has 2 crowns from being a princess.. after her year was up she stopped wearing them.. even though all the girls wear them she choses not to wear hers.. I was taught that if you were a former princess you could wear them but it seemed like she was taking away from the new princess .. so we do what we believe verses the fads of powwows today.. :)
Old 12-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNKIDZ
my daughter has 2 crowns from being a princess.. after her year was up she stopped wearing them.. even though all the girls wear them she choses not to wear hers.. I was taught that if you were a former princess you could wear them but it seemed like she was taking away from the new princess .. so we do what we believe verses the fads of powwows today.. :)
hmmmmm. Get her one of her own and not the ones she wore while being princess???? Sounds like a solution but like I said to Bear, do what you feel is best.

Last edited by little sister; 12-28-2004 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Fancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
I am a princess, and the crown i wear is passed down to the next princess. When I got the crown i was told that after my reign i could wear any crown i wanted from then on to represent my title. But thats just what i was told.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Teen Dancer

hoov4450 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 80.00
a crown is made for "you" and that is your's for life. After your time a princess is over it is your right to wear it till you die.That is why they say "the reigning powwow princess..." cause you may have more than one princess at a powwow that represented that group. now if you dishonnored yourself and that group and your title is taken then you better not be seen wearing a crown cause it's "not good"!around here most people know who has been a princess and who has not. a girl wouldn't just wear a crown, Hopefully her parents would teach her right.
hoov4450 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

Fancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
I actually knew a girl that said she was a princess just because she wanted to be and her mom made her crown! Havent seen her since they and that was about 6-7 years ago.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 450.31
I got this birthday crown when I was in the 1st grade...and I wear it every day.HE HE!! Like Jughead in the Archie comics! I wear it all the time and I have the right cuz I got it 4 my birthday! Ha! HA!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #14
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiously-Fancy
I got this birthday crown when I was in the 1st grade...and I wear it every day.HE HE!! Like Jughead in the Archie comics! I wear it all the time and I have the right cuz I got it 4 my birthday! Ha! HA!
id really like to crown you bout now
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle of the sky
id really like to crown you bout now
Crown me baby.....Do IT!! I like it rough!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #16
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,369.70
Quote:
I hear his mom got it for him at Burger King :D
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #17
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Quote:
Crown me baby.....Do IT!! I like it rough!!!
on second thought thats the last thing you need......
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #18
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Cmon Mots Give it to him! U know u wannnna

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
Cmon Mots Give it to him! U know u wannnna
GirlFren,

This is NO way to earn pointage!!!! U bess be think'n 'bout the bank b4 u be post'n this kinda nonsense!!
GOODLUCK BEG!!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Quote:
GirlFren,

This is NO way to earn pointage!!!! U bess be think'n 'bout the bank b4 u be post'n this kinda nonsense!!
GOODLUCK BEG!!

okayyyyyy...im sorry, i take it back.....U can wear a crown around if u want to ...i mean u are a CHAMPION right.

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Last edited by *KaLiLsHa*; 01-10-2005 at 02:10 AM..
*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links