Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Definition of American Indian Definition of American Indian

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #61
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Suzze,
I am sorry if I have offended you. I am not trying to twist your words or anything like that. Just looking for a greater understanding. Just to let you know I have only Hasinai blood coursing through my veins. but I don't think for myself alone that would be enough to consider myself native. I have been raised hasinai caddo and that is what makes me native.
dhaun113 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #62
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Well, I've heard that if you have any Hawaiian ancestor, then you're Hawaiian. Of course, you have to be at least 1/2 to get land grants and maybe other benefits.

When we graduated from 8th grade and went to high school in town, my cousin knew all these white kids who were Shoshone descendants and she'd say, oh yeah, so-and-so is Shoshone. Their grandpa was so and so who's related to so-and-so.

So I think there's a big difference between THIN blood and no blood.

As for the hypothetical situations, say a 4/4's was raised by a white family. Are they white? No! And although they may not have any knowledge of their culture, they can always have an epiphany and search out their roots.

The non-native raised by a white family may be accepted as part of their family and community, but they are in not native...only in their heart. (insert violin smilie) And they may grow up and go back to acting totally white.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #63
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25

Last edited by lbgood; 08-13-2010 at 04:24 PM..
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #64
Love PowWows!

MtnLiving has a reputation beyond repute
MtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond reputeMtnLiving has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaun113 View Post
True Suzzie i do point out rare occassions. But those rare occassions are truly what determine who we are at the core. I guess I need to be more clear I am not defending the hobbyists out there or the ones that say they are due to the fact their greatest grandmother was Cherokee. But those raised by us and taught by us. Do we not owe them the ability to become what we have taught them? The ability to be what they see in thew mirror? And if not why teach them these ways and then turn around and say you are not one of us?
WTH is up with the same old analogy from so many people.....thinking that all white people claim to have cherokee blood and all their grandmothers were cherokee princesses?!! UGH. It isn't true. Not blaming you, Dhaun113....just saying. It's annoying at best.

MtnLiving is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #65
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,595.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLiving View Post
WTH is up with the same old analogy from so many people.....thinking that all white people claim to have cherokee blood and all their grandmothers were cherokee princesses?!! UGH. It isn't true. Not blaming you, Dhaun113....just saying. It's annoying at best.

it's true mtnliving. 98% of all white folk claim cherokee and they always mention their cherokee grandmother. funny that they rarely mention their cherokee grandfather. i guess the white folk can't stomach the idea of a cherokee man soiling an ivory white woman.
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #66
Pow Wow Visitor

dhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLiving View Post

I would of said Caddo but then not alot of people know we are around much less want to be one of us. We got no money hahahahahahahaha...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #67
Pow Wow Visitor

I want to say sorry to this forum. It was not my intention to offend any of you and I apologize for that. I was simply looking for a greater understanding of other's perspective only to broaden my own. I may not have stated myself clearly or understood you guys clearly. What it seems is I have started arguments between you guys and offended others. At this time I will take the advice of my grandfather and just shutup and listen.

Again sorry all.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #68
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,437.46
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
I would of said Caddo but then not alot of people know we are around much less want to be one of us. We got no money hahahahahahahaha...
Mr. Randy Edmonds is Kiowa and Caddo, MC's many of the powwows around San Diego County - very good man. Booming voice!
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #69
Pow Wow Visitor

Do you know if he is related to Wimpy Edmonds?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #70
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, I just know Randy from local powwows, I just saw him at the Balboa Park Powwow this weekend. He's involved with the Soaring Eagles kids, so I can check through my friends there. I'll get back...
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
Pow Wow Visitor

Svnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond reputeSvnoyi Gvtsanoste has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 677.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
That leaves flexible arena of culture. This is the contagious stuff -- language, stories, mores, and manners -- spread from parent to child, neighbor to neighbor. It is the thing that strives to propagate and survive whenever a group of kith and kin live together. It is the most important gift a parent gives a child. (If you doubt this look at the blood baths over school curricula -- the principal instrument of the wider society's enculturation.) But, to those who would presume to acquire a culture, it does not exist outside a community. Without a community to recognize, participate and animate, language, stories, art and music are just a heritage. And heritage is cold comfort and a dead thing.
This is very well said. Your kins history, experiences, perspectives... that's what makes up a culture. Thats what nations/tribes are working to protect. The problem is that all of these other definitions/laws/regulation/etc get in the way. Things like blood quantum are things that are suppose to help protect our culture (not historically, but modern times we hope), but half the time they get in the way. For example, a person who is just about full blood who hardly plays lipservice to his/her culture vs the person who lives everyday practicing their tribes unique culture, knows their history, stories, and songs but isn't a "full blood indian".

Every native out there isn't recognized by a tribe, and definately isn't recognized by the US. What really matters is what each individual knows about themselves. If you have native in your ancestory and you practice the culture of your tribe then you're native. Anything is is just something else. The only person who could really decide that is that person.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #72
On The Rocks

Quote:
Do you know if he is related to Wimpy Edmonds?
Hi, yesterday Mr. Edmonds told me that Wimpy was his uncle (now crossed over), and that Wimpy did some MC-ing back in the day.